What position would you strengthen now

A creative midfielder who will want to run the show from the middle of the park demand the ball off the defence want involved in every move and grab games by the scruff of the neck and drive us forward to 55 dare I say it but a new version Barry Ferguson please

Once Goldson has signed today - we must strengthen our forward line. I think we need at least 2 strikers - maybe even 3 as IMO Morelos will be away.

We are in dire need of a poacher.

We must start playing two up front this season. This one man up front at home to Partick Thistle, Hamilton etc is shite. It is also a thankless task asking someone to play up front themselves. Can massively dent a players confidence and morale.

After the CB positions being sorted what position would you look to strengthen, I personally would like to see another RB brought in and another Striker. Hopefully will also see us strengthening our back up options also.

I agree with you. As well, I think a stronger defensive left back would be a good addition.

Midfield I think we are good to go

Striker would be my choice tho it depends on morales as I would have no problem starting season with him if he really wanted to stay otherwise let him go and bring in top draw replacement. Really want a harry Wilson type signing which we haven’t had since aluko left someone who can pick ball up 40 yards out and produce a bit of magic
hopefully wee AM has had a good rest we will see a different player .more hungry and more goals

Powerful Creative Midfielder
CF
LW
RW
LB
CF Backup
RB
RB Backup

This is while selling Morelos, Windass, Tavernier etc.

I think our next priority should Goldson sign should be a Striker, then full back cover/replacements, then another winger

Left back to challenge John...DJ himself needs a boot up the arse. He's okay but plays within himself, has no gallus streak and his stats for cutting out crosses and passes are horrendous.

We also need a #10....someone FAR better than Windass at receiving ball with back to goal, holding up and playing passes to bring others into the game.

We can't do everything in one window. The main area of concern was defense and that has been made stronger.

If we have Jack and Rossiter back along with McRorie then we have defensive midfield options. Let us not forget that scoring goals was the least of our worries last season.

I’m not going to disagree too much here.
However, I’m thinking more of the defensive set up as opposed to the defence itself.
Defensive midfield I suppose.
I rate Rossiter and McCrorie highly but are yet to fully prove themselves.
Jack, I probably more ready and I don’t think him good enough going forward.
If Rossiter and McCrorie improve and achieve what we think they will there won’t be a problem.
I’m just looking for ready made.

We can’t have “ready made” all over the pitch.

We have a very good options in McCrorie and Rossiter (albeit the latter bring a fitness risk). Jack certainly wouldn’t be the worst in DCM either if he had better quality around him, as he was more than capable prior to his injury. So there’s definitely “decent” options for that position.

As for options in front of goal. We’re struggling badly. Hopefully Morelos’ poor form in front of goal was infact related to “tiredness”. The jury is out to whether that’s is the case, but even the it was - he’s our only option. Plus, there’s no guarantee he’ll be around next season.

We need to find a player who will notch us 25 goals a season before we find anything else imo.

Jack, Rossiter and McCrorie can all play there? I would say its the only position I was happy with before we made any signings.

Because we weren't walked all over in that department last season.

The number of goals we conceeded from the oposition's midfield running straight through the middle of our midfield and scoring was horrendous.

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2018/5/13/rangers-fc-reviewing-1718-and-preparing-for-1819

This blog gave a grim in-sight into our issues and shows our main problem is the fact our full-backs, and midfielders push far too high up, allowing the counter.

The majority of goals on the counter came through the middle:

Six from Rangers’ right side, eleven from their left and twenty two from the middle. Rangers’ soft centre is failing them.

Their analysis on our requirements:

That gives us the following shopping list:

• A full back capable of covering both the left and right side.
  • At least two centre backs.
  • An attacker capable of playing across the front three.
  • A box to box midfielder.

We must find a system to protect the ludicrously high line...we do lose so many goals on break through middle or down our left.

A ball winning midfielder who will protect the back 4, and ultimately dictate our play. I know it's unpopular to mention him on here, but Brown does it tremendously for them, and we need someone to do that role for us.

People are pointing to Jack, McCrorie and Rossiter. Whilst the 3rd in this list spent the majority of the season injured, the other two featured a fair few times, and for the full of the season sides were cutting through the middle of the pitch like a knife through hot butter.

No matter how good our CB's are, if the players in front don't offer them protection, we will continue to conceed a barrel load of goals.
Agree Gaz.

Firstly, the midfielder you describe.
Secondly, defensive cover / ability for us to play a 3 at the back.
Then a striker & tricky winger for packed defences like Harry Wilson.

I want a nasty b4st4rd in the middle of the park thats prepared to dish out some of what we get on a weekly basis, let the rest of the country know our players are not an easy target who can be hacked and assaulted without retribution. Another CH and a goalscorer who complete the team for me.

The number of goals we conceeded from the oposition's midfield running straight through the middle of our midfield and scoring was horrendous.

https://www.modernfitba.com/blogs/2018/5/13/rangers-fc-reviewing-1718-and-preparing-for-1819

This blog gave a grim in-sight into our issues and shows our main problem is the fact our full-backs, and midfielders push far too high up, allowing the counter.

All 3 had serious injuries, especially JR & RJ. McCrorie only broke through last season and was being used in 2 different positions. Harsh to blame any of them.

Has to be another striker. I feel we are needing a big target man upfront, lacking numbers in that department

We have players with a lot of dig in centre of park, rossiter, mcrrorrie, jack, Arfield .. we need to be getting that link / spark between the midfield and strikers, hopefully spend similar on a attacking mid or two like we have for the centre halfs

Striker and a #10 for me. Need somebody to play that final pass and a goalscorer to take some of the burden off of Morelos.

I think there’s a question over leftback - at the moment it’s between John and Wallace (pending any change to the Wallace situation) but I don’t think either are the long-term answer.

I think Tav will soldier on until someone better becomes available but with a bit of a boost from the new manager he will be fine for the time being.

A seasoned forward who can score goals, link up the play and show a bit of aggression would be great. A Hateley or Sheringham type of player. Peter Crouch fits the bill on paper.

A creative centre mid and a striker

This for me all day long! Not sure if Ejaria is creative or Windass could play a defence splitting pass but we certainly need someone with a bit of guile and can spot a pass.

For all the midfielders we have they are all quite similar.

Hi All,
Been following for a while but obviously my first post. Glad to be here!
I like the earlier comment about not being able to do everything in one window (as much as I'd love to). SG needs to really see the squad and how it plays under his standards and systems.
We clearly have areas of weakness (like our CB situation and Strikers) that is why I am open to some good loan signings.
If we have a bit of money left-say (5 million)-I'd like us to buy a good striker (maybe around the 3-4 million mark) and the the rest made up of a loan or two of good quality.
I am not a huge fan on loans but I think it ups the quality of the squad while allowing the coaching staff to get a great overview of our squad. I also think that with his current signings (and a few more more) we should be clearly second place and much more competitive-then over the next 18th months SG/MA and the staff really fill out the team with the quality we need.

For me now that Goldson has signed today we need to look to strengthen our strike force as a priority with potentially another RB/LB as cover for Tavernier and John.
We have a lot of options in midfield especially if Jack and Rossiter are fit for a decent pre-season.

Someone who offers better shape on the right.

I like Candies - assists, player of the year etc but he has a tendancy to run up and down the right side of the pitch while a game of football happens next to him - at times he was as culpabale as any re our lack of shape and games snowballing away from us.

I think a guy on the right side of the park who can come in a bit more and play as a support to the forward rather than a winger helps.

With Tav there we are fine for width.

I think it has to be a proper box to box central midfielder. As per the old saying we build from the back. We scored more goals than anyone in Scotland last year, so goals aren't a priority. Dominating midfield battles is.

Absolutely

Incredible that anyone who watched us last season cant see the glaringly obvious weak point of our team in the bigger games was being outplayed in the middle of the park.

Especially against the scum but given the run around by Hivs on many occasions too.

Arfield will be a good addition but id like to see a ball winner and a more creative player in beside him.

It'll be interesting to see what the G man makes of our midfield. In numbers terms it looks ok - Jack, Doherty, McCrorie, Dorrans and Arfield. But i still think we need more quality in there. A box to box creative midfielder - on paper that could be Docherty and/or Arfield, but there's just something missing in there for me.

Anyone who believes RB is a priority need examined

Tav is more than good enough, in a good team, in a good defence, he’ll excel

We have far more pressing issues still to address than RB

Striker (s)

Real creative player, player who can dictate play and control games

Arguably a proper defensive midfielder

With Connor Goldson signing, that leaves about another 4 required, as you say, full back cover, an attacking midfielder and at least one forward.

We need a striker with enough quality to challenge Morelos, along with giving us the option of 2 up front. Cummings was way off the mark.

We have signed 6 players. Reckon there will be at least 5 more maybe more depending on who departs.

Striker is one obvious position we need to look at along with cover in a few others.

I think we all will be surprised at the players we already have provided they buy into Gerrard. Last season almost everyone of them on their day looked like they were good enough.

Our problem was we started the season trying to introduce a completely new approach, trying to move away from the Scottish way of kick and rush. A number of senior players didn’t back Pedro and it showed in performances. He was undermined and it was worse when Murty took over.

We were also crippled with a lot of long term injuries, and not having the opportunity to play a settled team. Combined with running Morelos into the ground because Murty only had one formation and no one as back up to play the lone striker.

I can see us getting as much as 50% more from some players.

It is also about time some of the Development Squad were getting game time and used as back up. Aidan Wilson and Barjonas looked like they aren’t too far away, Burt surely must be close to getting a run. Same with Middleton and Atakayi.

This isn’t the 90’s we can’t go pick up who we want by outbidding everyone, so a whole new team isn’t on the cards.

First off - I want to say what a flyer SG is off to
In signing 2 central defenders worthy of the name is something his 3 predecessors struggled to do

As for the next position to strengthen - I'd still like some cover in defence & either get some back up for Tav & John - if he sticks with them & on the assumption Wallace doesn't feature ?

Striker would be my choice tho it depends on morales

It's Morelos mate, he's only been here for an entire year. I say it in my head before I spell it like Mor-el-os. Ally McCoist doesn't help matters with the mispronunciation of his name but we can all do our part :D

Back