Thoughts on Cammy Bell as a keeper?

mdingwall

Administrator
I see he's gone to Plastic Whistle.

DQzIsO7.jpg

Thistle probably about his level, or maybe punching slightly above.

Obviously not a Motherwell away punch.

Last edited by a moderator:
Think he went through a spell at Killie before he signed for us where he was making some excellent saves and got noticed.

Was a bit underwhelming for us and will be remembered for his howler at Motherwell that put an end to any slight hope of us getting back in the tie.

I’ve actually met him a few times through work and he’s actually a really sound bloke who always praises the club.

Just wasn’t the standard required unfortunately.

McCoist seemed hellbent on recruiting Cammy.

A serious downgrade on Alexander although not quite as bad as Simeonson or Robinson.

He was absolutely hopeless. A goalkeeper with glass wrists. Undoubtedly the worst of our goalkeepers coming up the league in my mind.

Lionel Letizi was a better player.

Wasn't so bad a signing at the time, he was never a long term solution but proved to be worse than anticipated.

Never the same keeper after the shoulder injury which McCoist mismanaged horribly.

McCoist was told Bell could get the op or he could play on but Bell's shoulder could go anytime.

McCoist kept playing him and it went within days

Sometimes when a professional footballer makes a mistake or does something shit, it gets exaggerated.

But I don't think it's possible to exaggerate how shit that thing he did at Fir Park was. I genuinely can't remember seeing anything like it even when I played Primary School football. All he had to do was take 2 steps back and catch it. I would have saved it. The guy who jumps out the way of the ball at 7s would have saved it. My wee sister saves it. Again, I'm not joking or exaggerating.

There's no reedeming yourself after that I'm afraid.

99 times out of 100 it's a daft exaggeration when someone is described this way but I seriously think he is the worst Rangers keeper ever.

Even putting his playoff howler to the side, i can't really remember him actually making any saves. I remember just thinking at the time that every shot seemed to go past him. Terrible with crosses as well.

Still, better than Simonsen and Robinson though. Embarrassing that either of them were signed.

Back