Martin Skrtel’s Rangers transfer could be back On

So we swap our sellable asset for a 33 yr old CB we wont make any money back on sounds great ...NOT

Or look at it another way. The fee received for Morelos from Fenerbache wipes out the Katic / Goldson outgoings and in the process of signing Morelos, Fenerbache soften their stance on wanting any transfer fee for Skirtel. This lets Skirtel leave - if he wants to - paving the way for Skirtel to have a one to one discussion with Rangers purely around wages.

That said I’ll believe it when I see it. I think this is just a headline and little else.

Swapping a 21 year old striker for a 33 defender would be madness unless there's a good chunk of change going along with it.

The swap deal may be rubbish...but if they want him, the bidding starts at £6m...

If we get a decent wedge and can reinvest in, say 2 replacements at 3-4m each...

Morelos and McCrorie are the only two I'd be disappointed to see leave.

Unless we get funny money we should keep these. For me they are two of our starters (DM & CF).

I’m with the majority here - happy to believe we’ve moved on from the Skrtel link and that the stumbling block of his wages hasn’t changed. Looks like his agent trying to create further interest in his client to force Newcastle’s hand. (Wonder if the mentally challengeds will have a nibble as their defence is a bit suspect?)
Not denying that Skrtel is a good player but if we are keeping Alves then we’re reasonably covered in central defence (assuming the Goldson deal is in place).

I never understand this viewpoint.

If he signed for Rangers he’d be on a wage that we deem affordable. The fact he’s on £70,000 a week at Fener means absolutely nothing.

Not sure where you're coming from here. His agent has already been very clear that Skrtel expects a certain wage level that we can't meet.

We should not be considering this at all and Skrtel and his agent don't seem the type to take a 50% pay cut.

That just doesn't make any sense and I'd say no chance,especially as we're pretty thin in the forward positions and I'd like him to stay. If it's just a swap for a 33year old,no thanks,fine if it's Alves. We need to box clever with this,rhati if it's genuine. Like many posts I'd say 6/7 mill and we talk. Surely we must ha

We shouldn't be selling him unless we are getting silly money. He scores goals and creates tons of space for others, he is what we will need next season if we are hoping to do anything.

maybe i am just cynical but this could be a last ditch attempt by some poet journo to put off Goldson as i dont think he put pen to paper yet. maybe trying to get him thinking he might be 3rd choice for CB

Last edited:
I don’t believe it will happen.

If it does then we’re getting a player tried and tested at the highest of level, he will stroll our league, but how much would it cost to replace Morelos?? We will need at least 4-5mill along with Skrtel and reinvest the lot.

Is he thinking 3-4-2-1??

I’m happy with Katic & Goldson. In Gerrard we trust :)

I am so split of Morelos-Would love to get some cash in for him but at 21 he has so much room to grow. I'd agree with many-it would need to be at least 5 million and Skrtl for him.
That would leave us with a lot of work to do up front but it would give SG and Co a sort of blank canvas to build the forward group to meet their style.

Morelos will be a big player for Stevie G next year. Story is a load of p***.
I'm excited by the potential improvement SG and his coaches will have on Alfredo's game. He can be a lethal striker, perhaps even the most lethal striker, in our front three.

That would be a spectacularly bad deal.

Given Skrtel would command bigger wages we would be paying money to lose our biggest transfer asset.

maybe i am just cynical but this could be a last ditch attempt by some poet journo to put off Goldson as i dont think he put pen to paper yet. maybe trying to get him thinking he might be 3rd choice for CB

Cancel that he has now signed on Gers web site :D

Not happening, that horse has bolted. Just his agent or the club trying to get him shipped out now. 2 new CB's are a better option for us. Good potential with a future value.

It would be some back 3:
Goldson Skrtel Katic :)
Forwards would be thinking which one is going to break me in two :D

Personally I doubt there is genuine interest but I agree wholeheartedly with your sentiment. It actually reminds me of when O'Neill came in for them and signed a team full of 6ft plus, aggressive monsters who bullied the other teams. They walked it the first year and we, despite having the better technical players, couldn't live with them physically. I'm getting more and more positive about our chances as the days go by and I'm normally one rung down from a 'happy clapper' anyway. :)

It would depend on how any deal was structured . If we got Skrtel on reduced wages plus £4-6 mil then fine . Other than that no. I am sure we are looking at strikers so the money would help in getting better quality in.

No sell on for Skrtel, possibly huge pay day if Alfie leaves at some future date.

So, for that reason alone, I'm out

aye let's give a young lad of 30 n can score goals for a guy 37 and on mega money. shocking if this goes ahead

A first team player who will improve in ability and value or a first team player whose physical attributes and value consistently decrease.

Amazing deal from their point of view. Luckily we don't do that nonsense anymore.

We were miles apart (according to his agent) in terms of the salary we could offer previously. What difference does it make if he is used as part of a swap deal - he would still have to be paid and have, one would assume the same demands as he did a few weeks ago. We also appear to be sorted at centre-back!

Not for me , I like Skrtel but as part of a swap deal for Morelos, no thanks.

We either sell Morelos for a good fee or we keep him and hope he finds his early form next season.

Back