The Scottish Amateur Cup 2023/2024

Roscoblue

I know a few in here have an interest as either a player, ex player or just have a general interest in their local club. Last 16 draw was made yesterday and it seems fairly wide open this season with a good mix of leagues still represented.

Last 16 Draw

Steins Thistle v Greig Park Rangers AFC (Fife)

Annbank AFC v Shortlees AFC

Drumchapel United AFC (Saturday morning) v Garrowhill Thistle

Glenburn Miners Welfare v Gartcosh

Sandys v Mauchline United

Doune Castle v Cupar Hearts

Greenock HSFP v Castlemilk OBC

Balgonie Scotia (Fife) v Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers

Last edited:
First time in a while I can remember 4 Ayrshire teams being in at this stage, Sod’s Law two of them draw each other!

Are Cupar Hearts still as strong this year?

Last edited:
First time in a while I can remember 3 Ayrshire teams being in at this stage, Sod’s Law two of them draw each other!

Are Cupar Hearts still as strong this year?
I’ve not seen Cupar but have been told they’re not quite as strong. However, the best I’ve seen in the competition this year was Broughty United and Cupar beat them in the next round.

St Patrick’s probably started as favourites but were beaten in the early rounds by Gartcosh who played 85 minutes with 10 men.

I know a few in here have an interest as either a player, ex player or just have a general interest in their local club. Last 16 draw was made yesterday and it seems fairly wide open this season with a good mix of leagues still represented.

Last 16 Draw

Steins Thistle v Greig Park Rangers AFC (Fife)

Annbank AFC v Shortlees AFC

Drumchapel United AFC (Saturday morning) v Garrowhill Thistle

Glenburn Miners Welfare v Gartcosh

Cowie Thistle AFC (Aberdeenshire) or Sandys v Mauchline United

Doune Castle v Cupar Hearts

Greenock HSFP v Castlemilk OBC

Giffnock North or Balgonie Scotia (Fife) v Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers
Just shows you how much the amateur game has been decimated when you look at some of the teams involved.

Obviously this was always going to happen with the WOS setup coming through but I also blame young guys just not wanting to play football anymore.

What are Doune Castle like? Cupar Hearts got a real fright up at Echt in the last round 3-0 down and came back to win 4-3 scoring in the 88th and 90th minutes

What are Doune Castle like? Cupar Hearts got a real fright up at Echt in the last round 3-0 down and came back to win 4-3 scoring in the 88th and 90th minutes
They’re a decent side, won the Caledonian League and East of Scotland Cuo last season and still going well in the East this season. I can see that game being quite physical.

The Steins Thistle v Greig Park Rangers should be a good game as well Greig Park are a decent team this year seemingly a good few Leven United players moved to them this year

Just shows you how much the amateur game has been decimated when you look at some of the teams involved.

Obviously this was always going to happen with the WOS setup coming through but I also blame young guys just not wanting to play football anymore.
Add in teams paying cash. Always been a thing unfortunately, but a few teams took it too far in last decade and were paying ridiculous sums per week and been a big factor in guys chucking it and teams folding.

Last edited:
Who are the favourites to win this?
At a push I’d go for Shortlees are favourites. Good players, most have been together a while and many have been over the course before. Keir Knapp has returned having gone to Glenburn for a while after leaving HMP. On his game he’s unplayable at that level.

Cupar as holders will fancy themselves and Gartcosh having pumped St Pat’s can’t be ignored.

So I’m going for Castlemilk to win it. :p

Today’s resukts

Sandys 1 Cowie 1 (Sandys through on penalties)

Giffnock North 1 Balgonie Scotia 1 (Replay next week)

Anyone know when the games are due to be played?
Wouldn't mind seeing Greenock HSFP v Castlemilk OBC game if i'm off that weekend..

The Steins Thistle v Greig Park Rangers should be a good game as well Greig Park are a decent team this year seemingly a good few Leven United players moved to them this year
Played Greig Park two years ago in the 3rd round when I managed Kildrum. Beat us 2-1 at Cumbernauld Academy.

All good lads who enjoyed a wee drink at the Burroughs club.

Cupar look to have got lucky to get through - surely not a serious contender this year to win it?

Soft spot for Greenock HSFPs. Used to base themselves in the RAF Club and remember legends like Willie Wright from the days I drunk there.

When I played in Ayrshire the two teams to the fore were Knockentiber and Crosshouse Waverley are they still on the go.
Crosshouse Waverley still going, they’re in the first division in Ayrshire. Knockentiber folded a few years ago but have returned this season so finding their feet.

Hurlford and Shortlees have dominated Ayrshire amateur football for the last 7 or 8 years, Hurlford have also gone now.

Yes there is 4, someone else had replied further up saying same. It was Mauchline still being in that I missed!

Have changed post now.

Shortlees beaten 2-0 from New Farm yesterday. Makes league a right tall order for them now, all their focus will be on Scottish.
Apologies I then read about two/three stating the same. Tbf I did exactly the same when recanting the Ayrshire teams originally to a work colleague who manages one of the remaining teams.

Today’s result

Balgonie Scotia 4 Giffnock North 4
(Balgonie win 8-7 on penalties).

OP updated with completed last 16 draw.

Havent managed to see the mighty cupar hearts yet this season and know nothing about our opponents tomorrow but hopefully they can get the job done and thru to the quarters.

Havent managed to see the mighty cupar hearts yet this season and know nothing about our opponents tomorrow but hopefully they can get the job done and thru to the quarters.
Hopefully a Richie Lawson hatrick tomorrow Roger although I think this will be a tough game, wouldn't have minded going to this game but obviously the Gers come first

Is the amateur game really struggling?

When I used to follow it teams in the SAFL Premier like Campbeltown Pupils, Oban Saints, Cambria, St Pats, Greenock, Gourock, Goldenhill, Busby, RR East Kilbride & Postal Utd were all the big names. Other recognisable teams were like Lochgilphead Red Star, Duncanrig, Tarbert, Haldane, Rutherglen, Kings Park & Inverclyde.

Football at that level really seems to be on the bones of its arse for watever reason?

When I used to follow it teams in the SAFL Premier like Campbeltown Pupils, Oban Saints, Cambria, St Pats, Greenock, Gourock, Goldenhill, Busby, RR East Kilbride & Postal Utd were all the big names. Other recognisable teams were like Lochgilphead Red Star, Duncanrig, Tarbert, Haldane, Rutherglen, Kings Park & Inverclyde.

Football at that level really seems to be on the bones of its arse for watever reason?
I can only comment on my local association, but only need to look at the amount of teams there are and how few leagues there are now to know it’s on the decline.

I’m not sure there are enough Astro pitches available for this yet, but I do think as many teams as possible should consider Friday night games where possible. Would get bigger crowds, better turn out from players and more opportunities for clubs to find raise.

Player base dropping by a big amount in the last 5/6 years is probably the biggest problem affecting the level.

Was never the same when the leagues restarted after Covid, a lot of players found they could do something else with their Saturday afternoons.

The Junior leagues joining the pyramid affected Amateurs too - more teams and bigger squads there take players away from Amateur teams. Majority of teams there are running U20’s sides as well so there’s less young players going Amateur when they’re too old for boys club football.

That inevitably leads to teams folding through lack of numbers week to week as there aren’t enough players to support the amount of teams.

I don’t think amateur football will ever return to the amount of teams, players and level of quality that it had before 2020 and instead of trying to make that happen all the leagues should just consolidate what they have and take it from there.

Broadly speaking it’s struggling, yes. A lot of the teams you mention no longer exist and of the others only really St Pat’s are having any sort of success, consistently. In fact, the SAFL has also gone, it merged with CSAFL last year to form SPAFA (Scottish Premier AFA).

There’s at least 7 teams leaving SPAFA after this season with Campsie Minerva, St Patrick’s, Bannockburn and Gartcosh all moving to the Caledonian League. I can’t see SPAFA lasting another 3 years.

That’s obviously only in the west, I don’t know much about the leagues elsewhere although some do continue to provide teams making it to the later stages of the Scottish, regularly.

Of the last 16 this season there are 3 from Fife, 4 from Ayrshire, 4 from SPAFA, 2 from the Caley and 1 each from Saturday morning, Greater Glasgow and Lothian’s and Edinburgh so it’s fairly well spread.

Steins Thistle 1 v Greig Park Rangers AFC (Fife) 0

Annbank AFC 1 v Shortlees AFC 1

Drumchapel United AFC (Saturday morning) 2 v Garrowhill Thistle 2

Glenburn Miners Welfare 4 v Gartcosh 3

Sandys 5 v Mauchline United 1

Doune Castle 0 v Cupar Hearts 5

Greenock HSFP 4
v Castlemilk OBC 2

Balgonie Scotia (Fife) 1 v Wishaw Wycombe Wanderers 0

Watched the Greenock HSFP v Castlemilk OBC game.
Pretty even game. Castlemilk OBC should have had a penalty for handball with around 10mins to go.

Back