Rangers History Alex Willoughby

If we had a run at the European Cup with Zurich, Nantes, Vojvodina, Dukla Prague, and a rapidly fading Inter Milan as our only opponents, anytime during Symon's tenure in the 1960's,
I am pretty confident that we would have won the European Cup.

We did not have that sort of luck.

You say we had better players at Ibrox around the time Celtic won the EC, but that is a tough argument to make.
From the time Stein came in in 65', until Symon was sacked in 67',
Celtic won 7 of the 8 domestic Trophies available, we won 1.
Even when Davie White came in, and I loved that Rangers team under Davie White,
Celtic still won everything that was going, and we won nothing.
Then came Waddell, and he took us further away from Celtic than we had ever been.
I think it was 1 win in 11 games against Celtic.

It bothers me greatly that Symon has never received the recognition he so thoroughly merits.
When the list of great managers are compiled, Shankly, Busby, Nicholson always get a mention,
but never a mention of Scot Symon.
Yet Symon, when he was sacked in 1967 was far and away thee most successful Manager in Britain.
He had been a Manager for 20 years.
Directly from hanging up his boots, he took the East Fife job, and immediately took them from Second Division mediocrity, to a serious top four side in the Top Division, winning 2 League Cups, and taking them to a Scottish Cup Final.
He was lured south to the Top Flight in England, and took Preston North End to the FA Cup Final in his first and only season in England.
When Bill Struth retired in 1954, Symon got the call to Ibrox to take over an ailing Rangers side, that had finished below Celtic and Partick Thistle in the League.
Despite being handicapped with the sine die imposed on the great Willie Woodburn just weeks into his tenure, Symon's Rangers would win the League Title in 3 of the next 5 seasons, taking us into the 1960's.
Having already blooded youngsters Alex Scott, Ralph Brand and Davy Wilson, Symon would sign Billy Ritchie, Bobby Shearer, Harold Davis, Ian McMillan, Max Murray, Jimmy Millar and Jim Baxter as he set up his team to dominate Scottish Football in the 1960's.
In four and a half years between April 1960 and Oct 64', Rangers would collect 11 of the 14 domestic Trophies available, 3 League Titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups.
Symon also showed he was not afraid to bring on the youth, as he introduced youngsters John Greig, Ronnie McKinnon, Willie Henderson (at the expense of Scotland's Alex Scott), Alex Willoughby, Jim Forrest, Willie Johnston.
Between 65' and 67' He would sign stylish foreigners in Kai Johansen, and Orjan Persson, and also Dave Smith and Andy Penman.
He had taken us to 2 European Finals, a European Cup Semi Final.
In fact, other than Standard Liege (1962), any team that ended our European runs in the 1960's either won the tournament or at least went to the Final.
When Symon was sacked in 1967, Rangers were top of the League, undefeated, having already beaten the European Champions.

Now I can look at the records of such great Managers who served their great clubs with long service and success.

Bill Shankly, 15 years at Liverpool (1959-74) collected 6 Major Trophies
(3 League Titles, 2 FA Cups, 1 UEFA Cup)

Bill Nicholson, 16 Years at Tottenham (1958 -74) collected 8 Major Trophies
(1 League Title, 3 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 1 ECW Cup, 1 UEFA Cup)

Matt Busby, 24 years at Man Utd (1945-69) collected 8 Major Trophies
(5 League Titles, 2 FA Cups, 1 European Cup)

Scot Symon, 13 years at Rangers(1954-67) collected 15 major Trophies
(6 League Titles, 5 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups)

It is well known that Scottish football during that period was as good as and competitive as English football.
Now tell me that Symon does not deserve a place alongside such legends, if not actually above them.
Made this exact point to one of them last week, our ECWC run was much harder, our easiest opponents were probably Moscow!.

I believe each team we played was top of their league at the time also, from top leagues like Italy, Spain, Portugal & Germany.

Unimaginable now.

P.S that is a brilliant post mate, their was a vote recently by H&H & I had Symon at number 3 in my list of our managers.

Great spot. I never knew Craig Watson went to Kilmarnock.
Watson, Willoughby, Forrest, Henderson and Baxter all joined Rangers at the same time, and they all remained friends thereafter.
I believe Watson and Willoughby were pall bearers at Jim Baxter's funeral.
Sadly, both Watson and Willoughby passed away at the age of 59.
Watson, Willoughby, Henderson, Greig, Jardine and Brand were pall bearers at Baxter's Funeral iirc

Recalled to the side after Berwick,
Alex Willoughby's phenomenal scoring rate continues,
as he scores Four in a 5-1 rout at Motherwell.

This takes his tally to 12 goals in 5 games

ce72478e8ff52e73471d730a6f296e1c.jpg

If we had a run at the European Cup with Zurich, Nantes, Vojvodina, Dukla Prague, and a rapidly fading Inter Milan as our only opponents, anytime during Symon's tenure in the 1960's,
I am pretty confident that we would have won the European Cup.
We did not have that sort of luck.

You say we had better players at Ibrox around the time Celtic won the EC, but that is a tough argument to make.
From the time Stein came in in 65', until Symon was sacked in 67',
Celtic won 7 of the 8 domestic Trophies available, we won 1.
Even when Davie White came in, and I loved that Rangers team under Davie White,
Celtic still won everything that was going, and we won nothing.
Then came Waddell, and he took us further away from Celtic than we had ever been.
I think it was 1 win in 11 games against Celtic.

It bothers me greatly that Symon has never received the recognition he so thoroughly merits.
When the list of great managers are compiled, Shankly, Busby, Nicholson always get a mention,
but never a mention of Scot Symon.
Yet Symon, when he was sacked in 1967 was far and away thee most successful Manager in Britain.
He had been a Manager for 20 years.
Directly from hanging up his boots, he took the East Fife job, and immediately took them from Second Division mediocrity, to a serious top four side in the Top Division, winning 2 League Cups, and taking them to a Scottish Cup Final.
He was lured south to the Top Flight in England, and took Preston North End to the FA Cup Final in his first and only season in England.
When Bill Struth retired in 1954, Symon got the call to Ibrox to take over an ailing Rangers side, that had finished below Celtic and Partick Thistle in the League.
Despite being handicapped with the sine die imposed on the great Willie Woodburn just weeks into his tenure, Symon's Rangers would win the League Title in 3 of the next 5 seasons, taking us into the 1960's.
Having already blooded youngsters Alex Scott, Ralph Brand and Davy Wilson, Symon would sign Billy Ritchie, Bobby Shearer, Harold Davis, Ian McMillan, Max Murray, Jimmy Millar and Jim Baxter as he set up his team to dominate Scottish Football in the 1960's.
In four and a half years between April 1960 and Oct 64', Rangers would collect 11 of the 14 domestic Trophies available, 3 League Titles, 4 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups.
Symon also showed he was not afraid to bring on the youth, as he introduced youngsters John Greig, Ronnie McKinnon, Willie Henderson (at the expense of Scotland's Alex Scott), Alex Willoughby, Jim Forrest, Willie Johnston.
Between 65' and 67' He would sign stylish foreigners in Kai Johansen, and Orjan Persson, and also Dave Smith and Andy Penman.
He had taken us to 2 European Finals, a European Cup Semi Final.
In fact, other than Standard Liege (1962), any team that ended our European runs in the 1960's either won the tournament or at least went to the Final.
When Symon was sacked in 1967, Rangers were top of the League, undefeated, having already beaten the European Champions.

Now I can look at the records of such great Managers who served their great clubs with long service and success.

Bill Shankly, 15 years at Liverpool (1959-74) collected 6 Major Trophies
(3 League Titles, 2 FA Cups, 1 UEFA Cup)

Bill Nicholson, 16 Years at Tottenham (1958 -74) collected 8 Major Trophies
(1 League Title, 3 FA Cups, 2 League Cups, 1 ECW Cup, 1 UEFA Cup)

Matt Busby, 24 years at Man Utd (1945-69) collected 8 Major Trophies
(5 League Titles, 2 FA Cups, 1 European Cup)

Scot Symon, 13 years at Rangers(1954-67) collected 15 major Trophies
(6 League Titles, 5 Scottish Cups, 4 League Cups)

It is well known that Scottish football during that period was as good as and competitive as English football.
Now tell me that Symon does not deserve a place alongside such legends, if not actually above them.
Definitely should be alongside those you have mentioned but the other three won European trophies.

For whatever reason the filth were allowed to steal a march on us, that sadly is part of his legacy.

I think Scot Symon sits at the top table in our Ibrox Valhalla no question.

A great post from MO on a guy that I regarded as a great player. It is usually around April when I read Sam English's 'On this day' thread that I start to feel myself getting wound up about what Symon did to Alex Willoughby in 1967. I saw today that it is the anniversary of the Hearts game (one week after Berwick) when Willoughby was called into the side when Forrest and McLean were dropped. I don't know if this is what inspired MO's post but if it was, well done!
It did :))
It is actually a very old post I did around 13/14 years ago on the old board, but I too always felt that Alex Willoughby was very much an under appreciated talent, to a lot of us, particularly the younger generation, who were mostly oblivious to him.

Great post.
You have battered me into agreeing with your fine argument.
It brings us to the period leading up to his dismissal at Rangers.
Why did he feel the need to throw Forrest and McLean under the proverbial bus?
Why did he play fast and lose with his other reliable scorer in Willoughby?
Was it his decision to allow his finest player in Baxter to leave the club?
Or was the Board forcing decisions upon him?

I know The Filth under Stein were winning all these trophies, but it wasn't the quality of his players who made the difference, it was Stein the coach himself.
I have always believed that Stein would have won more with our players.
I think we all know who it was that terminated Forrest and McLean, and it wasn't Symon.
I don't recall Symon throwing any of his players under the bus.
I am still not convinced that dropping Willoughby was Symon's decision either.
It made no sense then, it makes even less sense today some 50 plus years on, as to why a Manager would sacrifice a a player, who had just scored 17 Goals in 14 Games, and replace him with a Defender of sorts, who has not started a single game all season, for our most important three games of the season.
As for allowing Baxter to leave, I'm not sure Symon could have prevented that, but I believe that Symon could see Baxter was no longer the consistent performer on the field, and his bad habits off the field, had increased considerably, since Vienna.
My personal thoughts on that (and I know most others will disagree), but I think we allowed Baxter to leave at exactly the right time.

I have no wish to big up Stein, and I wont. Nor will I contemplate what might have been if he had been a Rangers manager. The very thought of that disgusts me.
They did have some quality players.

If you want to speak hypothetically, then I think our biggest mistake prior to the many disastrous decisions that took place in 67', came at the tail end of 66', when we failed to sign Willie Wallace, and they did.
They would not have won that EC without Wallace.
Joe McBride was their main man in that 66-67 season, having scored 36 Goals in 27 games, leading up to Christmas, until injury ruled him out for the remainder of that season.
They were fortunate, they had Wallace. Without him to fill in for McBride, I'm certain they would have struggled both domestically and in Europe.
Wallace, who by all accounts was a Rangers fan since childhood, had already been tapped up by us.
Whilst we were stalling, Stein, who was aware of this, was sleekit enough to nip in and buy Wallace, whilst we were over in Germany knocking out the Holders Borussia Dortmund.
Had we signed Wallace, and held on to Forrest and McLean, I doubt that they would have even got 1 in a row.
For the sake of stalling and £30,000 to secure his services,
History might well have been a whole lot different.

I think we all know who it was that terminated Forrest and McLean, and it wasn't Symon.
It made no sense then, it makes even less sense today some 50 plus years on, as to why a Manager would sacrifice a a player, who had just scored 17 Goals in 14 Games, and replace him with a Defender of sorts, who has not started a single game all season, for our most important three games of the season.
As for allowing Baxter to leave, I'm not sure Symon could have prevented that, but I believe that Symon could see Baxter was no longer the consistent performer on the field, and his bad habits off the field, had increased considerably, since Vienna.
My personal thoughts on that (and I know most others will disagree), but I think we allowed Baxter to leave at exactly the right time.

I have no wish to big up Stein, and I wont. Nor will I contemplate what might have been if he had been a Rangers manager. The very thought of that disgusts me.

If you want to speak hypothetically, then I think our biggest mistake prior to the many disastrous decisions that took place in 67', came at the tail end of 66', when we failed to sign Willie Wallace, and they did.
Joe McBride was their main man in that 66-67 season, having scored 36 Goals in 27 games, leading up to Christmas, until injury ruled him out for the remainder of that season.
They were fortunate, they had Wallace. Without him to fill in for McBride, I'm certain they would have struggled both domestically and in Europe.
Wallace, who by all accounts was a Rangers fan since childhood, had already been tapped up by us.
Whilst we were stalling, Stein, who was aware of this, was sleekit enough to nip in and buy Wallace, whilst we were over in Germany knocking out the Holders Borussia Dortmund.
Had we signed Wallace, and held on to Forrest and McLean, I doubt that they would have even got 1 in a row.
Yes, you make some great points and I agree about Wallace, although not about Baxter.
Baxter needed the right person to get a tune out of him, sadly he never met that man as his career faded when it should have been at its zenith.

I was no fan of Stein the man, but he was a coach who saw the changing game around him and responded to it.

Your defence of Symon is good and decent and he deserves to be defended.
However, no figure in history even a great one should pass without examination.
If we are to be honest historians we must approach all subjects with a critical eye and no one should fear doing so.

But as always your posts are both interesting and educational and everyone should read them.

My avatar shows Alex Willoughby and Jim Forrest kicking a ball about with some lads outside Ibrox.

Scot Symon clearly made the wrong decision in choosing Roger Hynd against Bayern - that was a game we definitely could have won.

It is strange that a player would have been quite happy on the fringe of the first-team for so long but he was a Gers supporter.
I beleive it it was the stupid owner,John Lawrence’s decision.

Mo - I think that you are being a wee bit charitable in absolving Symon with regard to the decision to drop Willoughby in 1967. There is the story about how it came about and it related to a reserve game at Ibrox during that April when one of the reserve team forwards either felt unwell or got injured in the warm up just before the kick off. Symon was in the stand and Hynd was told to play up front which he duly did, played well and scored some goals. Hynd was a big guy and Symon got the idea after watching him that day that he could do a job up front for the first team playing the role of the bustling centre forward. Willoughby was the player who made way to accommodate Hynd. The reason for dropping Willoughby was never explained to either Willoughby or the supporters. I remember quite a few years ago reading an article on the subject that was written by the late Bob Crampsey. Crampsey and Willoughby shared a love of cricket and were friendly for many years. Crampsey wrote that Willoughby told him that one day after he had returned to Scotland from playing in Hong Kong, he got a telephone call from Symon asking him to come up to Firhill (Symon was General Manager at Thistle by that time) to meet him for a chat. Apparently Willoughby thought that at long last Symon was going to tell him why he had been dropped in 1967. When he got to Firhill, Symon met him in his office and it was for a general chit chat over a cup of tea and the matter of him being dropped was never discussed. Bob Crampsey said that right up until the day he died, Willoughby never knew the reason why he had been dropped.

As we've both said, he was a very underrated footballer and I think that the club's history could have been a bit different had Symon not made the decision to drop him.

Mo - I think that you are being a wee bit charitable in absolving Symon with regard to the decision to drop Willoughby in 1967. There is the story about how it came about and it related to a reserve game at Ibrox during that April when one of the reserve team forwards either felt unwell or got injured in the warm up just before the kick off. Symon was in the stand and Hynd was told to play up front which he duly did, played well and scored some goals. Hynd was a big guy and Symon got the idea after watching him that day that he could do a job up front for the first team playing the role of the bustling centre forward. Willoughby was the player who made way to accommodate Hynd. The reason for dropping Willoughby was never explained to either Willoughby or the supporters. I remember quite a few years ago reading an article on the subject that was written by the late Bob Crampsey. Crampsey and Willoughby shared a love of cricket and were friendly for many years. Crampsey wrote that Willoughby told him that one day after he had returned to Scotland from playing in Hong Kong, he got a telephone call from Symon asking him to come up to Firhill (Symon was General Manager at Thistle by that time) to meet him for a chat. Apparently Willoughby thought that at long last Symon was going to tell him why he had been dropped in 1967. When he got to Firhill, Symon met him in his office and it was for a general chit chat over a cup of tea and the matter of him being dropped was never discussed. Bob Crampsey said that right up until the day he died, Willoughby never knew the reason why he had been dropped.

As we've both said, he was a very underrated footballer and I think that the club's history could have been a bit different had Symon not made the decision to drop him.
Bob Crampsey was probably the most perceptive and honest sports journalist in the Scottish game.
That is just my opinion.
I know he was from the other side, but I never once read anything he wrote that inclined his opinion from that of the straight and narrow.
He was pure in his critical judgement and beyond measure in the grasp of his subject.
He was a schoolteacher who epitomised the scholar.

Sorry to deflect the thread.

Bob Crampsey was probably the most perceptive and honest sports journalist in the Scottish game.
That is just my opinion.
I know he was from the other side, but I never once read anything he wrote that inclined his opinion from that of the straight and narrow.
He was pure in his critical judgement and beyond measure in the grasp of his subject.
He was a schoolteacher who epitomised the scholar.

Sorry to deflect the thread.

A very genuine football man.

Alec being presented to Russian Prime Minister Kosygin in Feb, 1967.

Kosygin attended our game v Killie.
I was at this game there was some crowd at that match as well, as a footnote not only was Alex Willoughby a great footballer and Rangers supporter, he was also the epitome of what was expected of a Rangers player. He will never be forgotten by the people who knew him.

Last edited:

Sorry Jim, with all due respect, I don't think I am being a wee bit charitable towards Symon at all.
If anything, I think you are perhaps being a little unkind in blaming Symon, when in actual fact, neither of us know for sure, as to why Willoughby was dropped.
I simply do not believe that Symon, or any Manager for that matter, would choose to drop a Forward who was on fire, having scored 17 Goals in 14 Games, to replace him with a defender of sorts, who had not had one start all season, for our three most important games of the season.

I know the story about Roger Hynd scoring 4 goals in a 5-2 win v Dundee Reserves.
Not sure where you are getting your story from, but I cannot understand why Scot Symon would be in the Stand at Ibrox for the reserve game v Dundee Reserves, as you allude to,
when the first team was playing Dundee at Dens Park in a vital league game on the same day, at the same time?
I don't for one minute believe that Symon was so niave to think that a one off emergency Centre Forward scoring 4 against Dundee's reserve Centre Half, was the solution to getting the better of Billy McNeill, and Franz Beckenbauer, and certainly not at the expense of the guy who is on fire, and scoring goals at a faster rate, than Forrest and McLean had been doing.

I also know of the story of Bob Crampsey, and of Willoughby visiting Symon at Firhill.
I am convinced that Symon's refusal or reluctance to offer an explanation to the press at the time, or to Willoughby later on, was purely because it was not Symon's decision.

We are all easily convinced that the ludicrous decision to bin Forrest and McLean, was the decision of Chairman John Lawrence, and not that of the Manager.
I find it surprising that so many of us are reluctant to believe that the same bully of a Chairman, would not once again step in to make a ludicrous decision, when it suited him.

Roger Hynd's obituary in 2017 had this in it

"The years 1966 and 67 saw Rangers progress to the later stages of the European Cup Winners Cup but Hynd had made just the one substitute appearance when a twist of fate saw him fielded at centre-forward in an emergency in a reserve fixture against Dundee at Ibrox, scoring four goals in a 5-2 win.
On the basis of that, Hynd was fielded up front in the following Wednesday’s European semi-final against Slavia Sofia at Ibrox to the exclusion of the skilful Alex Willoughby who had scored 17 goals in 14 games, on the insistence it is believed of chairman John Lawrence.

Hynd in later years would admit to feeling regret for the way that Willoughby had been treated, recognising that he was anything but a forward."

It annoys me to this day, and I know it does the same to you, some 54 years on.
I respect your opinion, and I do enjoy reading all of your posts.
I just think it is too far fetched, for a Manager to make that as a football decision.
I think it is a tad unfair to pour scorn on a great Manager, without being 100% sure.
I find it easier to believe that it was a decision ordered by a clown of a Chairman.
It makes the pain of it, a little less.

Sorry Jim, with all due respect, I don't think I am being a wee bit charitable towards Symon at all.
If anything, I think you are perhaps being a little unkind in blaming Symon, when in actual fact, neither of us know for sure, as to why Willoughby was dropped.
I simply do not believe that Symon, or any Manager for that matter, would choose to drop a Forward who was on fire, having scored 17 Goals in 14 Games, to replace him with a defender of sorts, who had not had one start all season, for our three most important games of the season.

I know the story about Roger Hynd scoring 4 goals in a 5-2 win v Dundee Reserves.
Not sure where you are getting your story from, but I cannot understand why Scot Symon would be in the Stand at Ibrox for the reserve game v Dundee Reserves, as you allude to,
when the first team was playing Dundee at Dens Park in a vital league game on the same day, at the same time?
I don't for one minute believe that Symon was so niave to think that a one off emergency Centre Forward scoring 4 against Dundee's reserve Centre Half, was the solution to getting the better of Billy McNeill, and Franz Beckenbauer, and certainly not at the expense of the guy who is on fire, and scoring goals at a faster rate, than Forrest and McLean had been doing.

I also know of the story of Bob Crampsey, and of Willoughby visiting Symon at Firhill.
I am convinced that Symon's refusal or reluctance to offer an explanation to the press at the time, or to Willoughby later on, was purely because it was not Symon's decision.

We are all easily convinced that the ludicrous decision to bin Forrest and McLean, was the decision of Chairman John Lawrence, and not that of the Manager.
I find it surprising that so many of us are reluctant to believe that the same bully of a Chairman, would not once again step in to make a ludicrous decision, when it suited him.

"The years 1966 and 67 saw Rangers progress to the later stages of the European Cup Winners Cup but Hynd had made just the one substitute appearance when a twist of fate saw him fielded at centre-forward in an emergency in a reserve fixture against Dundee at Ibrox, scoring four goals in a 5-2 win.
On the basis of that, Hynd was fielded up front in the following Wednesday’s European semi-final against Slavia Sofia at Ibrox to the exclusion of the skilful Alex Willoughby who had scored 17 goals in 14 games, on the insistence it is believed of chairman John Lawrence.

Hynd in later years would admit to feeling regret for the way that Willoughby had been treated, recognising that he was anything but a forward."

I just think it is too far fetched, for a Manager to make that as a football decision.
I think it is a tad unfair to pour scorn on a great Manager, without being 100% sure.
I find it easier to believe that it was a decision ordered by a clown of a Chairman.

Great Post, Mo. The sad thing is that we'll never know and if as you say it was Lawrence's decision and not Symon's, the one man who really deserved to know was Willoughby.

The Team Mates who made the most appearances alongside Alex Willoughby

.................................................Ritchie
...........................Johansen...................Provan
...................Greig.............McKinnon.............D.Smith
Henderson...Willoughby....Forrest....Johnston...Wilson

Subs. N.Martin, W.Mathieson, B.Watson, G.McLean, O.Persson

38298f202e013c6b9400ca00a47046fa.jpg

I've always thought that Alex and Jim Forrest were never the same players after they were so harshly treated by Rangers. As lifelong fans of the Club the hurt still lived with them long after their playing days were over. In the case of Jim Forrest this comes through very strongly in his Jan 2016 interview with Gary Ralston for the Daily Record where he states that he would not have let Scot Symon over his front door. It is interesting too that despite Jim's scoring record with Rangers that Eddie Turnball went to speak to Jimmy Millar at his Leith pub to get his opinion before signing Forrest for the Dons.

Extracts from John Lawrence statement in the home programme v Hearts after Berwick game - " We shall not tolerate anything less than 100 per cent effort. It should be the burning desire of every player who wears the beloved colours to give such an effort - willingly, eagerly. Those who won't cannot hope to continue as Rangers players. We have never accepted anything but an all -in effort and never shall. There are several players true to the Rangers tradition, young men of unshakeable resolve and an insatiable hunger to add to our records. They are well rewarded and will find us generous in every conceivable way. But those who would disgrace the colours and let us down by their lack of the spirit we demand won't remain here. I could make that statement in a number of ways, but the time for plain speaking is here and I do not turn from it......................
This was clear in the Berwick match in which certain players failed in a lamentable way to play their part."

One can understand the hurt such remarks would cause to a dyed in the wool Bluenose like Jim Forrest.

The Team Mates who made the most appearances alongside Alex Willoughby

.................................................Ritchie
...........................Johansen...................Provan
...................Greig.............McKinnon.............D.Smith
Henderson...Willoughby....Forrest....Johnston...Wilson

Subs. N.Martin, W.Mathieson, B.Watson, G.McLean, O.Persson

38298f202e013c6b9400ca00a47046fa.jpg
Can anybody the two players “Top Left?” I think one may be Wilson Wood.

The ratbag probably made the decision when he was in Morocco. He always seemed to be there whenever we were winning things.

Great Post, Mo. The sad thing is that we'll never know and if as you say it was Lawrence's decision and not Symon's, the one man who really deserved to know was Willoughby.
Of course Willoughby deserved to know, and who knows, perhaps he did already know, and just chose not to go public with it (or discuss it with a journalist).
If Willoughby really did not know, then I have to wonder as to why when he had that cup of tea and chat with Symon at Firhill, and Symon was not forthcoming about the subject, why on earth did Willoughby not just ask him straight out, when he had the perfect opportunity to do so?

I'm pretty sure you or I most certainly would have.
And you and I would have avoided this quandary and annual angst for the last half century! :confused:

It's great to discuss with your good self, knowing your appreciation of Alex Willoughby as the marvelous footballer he was, and so greatly under appreciated.

Great read OP, I was lucky enough to see Willoughby play in that LC final v Morton, which was my first cup final to see the famous.
My first as well, 0-0 half time, they had Allan McGraw a prolific scorer and great club servant.We ran out comfortable winners in the end. Record crowd. Read the Scotsman's take on the game,

Great post.
You have battered me into agreeing with your fine argument.
It brings us to the period leading up to his dismissal at Rangers.
Why did he feel the need to throw Forrest and McLean under the proverbial bus?
Why did he play fast and lose with his other reliable scorer in Willoughby?
Was it his decision to allow his finest player in Baxter to leave the club?
Or was the Board forcing decisions upon him?

I know The Filth under Stein were winning all these trophies, but it wasn't the quality of his players who made the difference, it was Stein the coach himself.
I have always believed that Stein would have won more with our players.
Totally agree with all you say,

Before my time, but remember my Dad, Uncle and Grandad speaking very highly of Willoughby, they all loved Jim Forrest as well. They were convinced the strange decisions of 1967, were the doing of Lawrence.

Thanks @MO_TxTruBlu for original post and subsequent additions, very informative and a good read.

YGreat post OP. I was at most of those games mid to late 60's. Recall Kosigyn at Rugby Park and the 4-3 game against St Johnstone as my Dad's mate (over from Canada) turned up out of the blue and came with us...evening game as I recall.
Playing Roger Hynd who was a centre half in such important games must have hit Alex hard. He was a decent player who never disappointed.
I recall Symon signing Alex Smith and Dave Smith. Alex Smith cost more but never really cut the mustard whereas Dave developed into one of the finest players in Scotland.
Lawrence indeed (albeit the Chairman) had too big a say in the playing side of our great club and his interference cost us dearly.
WATP
John Lawrence could have paid Baxter a bit extra to stay but did not, i suggest this was the catalyst for the stinkys to take over for nearly a decade.

An absolutely glorious photograph of Alex, thanks for posting it.
PS. am i right in saying that one of Alex's boys played for Northern Ireland at youth level?
I don't know about that. Robert Marshall (The Louden Lad) would probably be able to tell you.
I think both of Willoughby's boys, John and Kirk were at Rangers as youths

Alex Willoughby, an Inside Right, was a great wee player from the 1960's, that is too often overlooked.

He was born in Springburn Glasgow on 17th September 1944, and along with his cousin Jim Forrest, became a product of the famous Drumchapel Amateurs.
Both boys went on to win Scottish schoolboy caps, before being signed by Rangers as 15 year olds.

Willoughby made his debut (in place of Ian McMillan) towards the end of the 62-63 season in a 3-1 home League win v Queen of the South, three days after Rangers had secured the Double with that 3-0 easy easy Cup Final win v Celtic.
The Line up that day
Ritchie Shearer, Provan, Davis, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, Willoughby, Millar, Brand and Wilson.

Willoughby kept his place in the side the following week as Rangers traveled across the city to Shawfield and registered a 3-1 win v Clyde, with the impressive 18 year old Willoughby scoring twice.

The following season (63-64) as Rangers marched to the Treble, saw Willoughby restricted to only 8 appearances.
His return of 4 goals indicated much promise.
He made his European Cup debut in front of 80,000 fans at the Bernabeu' when he was surprisingly selected for the away leg v Real Madrid.
His only highlight of that evening was when the great Ferenc Puskas, who scored a hat trick that night, handed his number 10 shirt to the teenager, at the end of the match.
Willoughby collected his first winners medal in October 63', in only his seventh appearance in a Rangers shirt, when he replaced Jimmy Millar in the side, and lined up alongside his cousin Jim Forrest at Hampden for the League Cup Final.
Rangers beat Morton 5-0 before a crowd of 105,907.
In what was known as the family final, Willoughby scored one, with his cousin Jim Forrest banging in the other four.
(all goals coming in the second half).
The teenage Willoughby looked to be the perfect replacement for Ian McMillan, who was coming to the end of his Rangers career, but the stylish youngster would get only 4 more starts that Treble winning season.

Despite Rangers struggles in the 64-65 season, Willoughby was afforded only 5 appearances.
In only his second appearance that season on April 3rd, Rangers hammered Falkirk 6-1 at Ibrox with Forrest scoring 4 again, and Willoughby scoring the other 2.

The 65-66 season saw Willoughby finally establish himself in the Inside Right position, as he registered 34 appearances in all competitions, with a return of 12 goals.
Highlights from that season included scoring both goals at Easter Rd in a 2-1 win v Hibs in October,
scoring the only goal in a tight Scottish Cup Quarter Final match v St Johnstone,
and scoring the winner at Pittodrie in a 2-1 win v Aberdeen when Rangers came back from 0-1 down, in April.

Even with such an impressive goalscoring record for an Inside Forward, of 20 goals in 50 appearances in the past four seasons, the 66-67 season looked to be the end of the road for Willoughby.
Five months and 36 games into the season, and Willoughby had not been selected to start in any of them, and had been given only one brief appearance as a substitute.

Then came Berwick.

Both strikers, Jim Forrest and George McLean were never to play for Rangers again.
Alex Smith who had scored 19 goals in 35 games as an Inside Right was moved to Centre Forward, and Alex Willoughby was back in the team at Inside Right.
Willoughby's impact was nothing short of incredible.
His first start of the season, and he scores a Hat Trick in a 5-1 win v Hearts at Ibrox.
Four days later, and he secures back to back Hat Tricks in a 5-1 win v Clyde at Shawfield.
(Clyde finished 3rd in the League that season).
The following Saturday Rangers travel to Kilmarnock (Russian Prime Minister Alexei Kosygin attended this match).
Kilmarnock were no mugs either back then, they would go all the way to the Semi Finals of the Fairs Cup that season.
In a tightly fought contest, Rangers took the lead in 55 mins through Davy Wilson, only for Kilmarnock to equalise 17 mins later, It was then left up to Alex Willoughby to round off a superb week, by scoring the winner to give Rangers both points.
His next game was his first European appearance of the season, against Real Zaragossa from Spain, and again he scored one in an impressive 2-0 win at Ibrox.
Back to the Scottish League four days later, and this phenomenal scoring continues, as Willoughby scores FOUR in a 5-1 rout at Motherwell.
This takes his tally to 12 goals in 5 games
Two goals in a 4-1 win at Ayr United, are followed up with a wonderful diving header to secure the winner in a 4-3 win v St Johnstone at Ibrox, that keeps us within 2 points of Celtic.
The following week with Celtic playing in the Cup, Rangers have the chance to draw level on points with a home League game v Dunfermline.
Unfortunately, Willoughby did not play in this game,
and Rangers who had dropped only 1 point all season long at Ibrox, lose 0-1 at home to Dunfermline.
Three days later, Rangers sign inside right Andy Penman from Dundee, though he is ineligible for the rest of the season.
The following Saturday, Rangers travel to Stirling Albion, and Willoughby, back in the side, scores the winner.
No game the following week as Scotland travel to Wembley to record a 3-2 win against the World Champions.
Rangers resume League play the following Saturday with a disappointing 1-1 draw at home to Clyde.
The following Saturday see Rangers travel to Dundee, whilst Celtic are winning their second Cup of the season with a 2-0 win v Aberdeen in the Scottish Cup Final.
Rangers who trail Dundee by a goal, are thrown a Championship lifeline yet again by Alex Willoughby who scores an invaluable equaliser.
Four days later, Rangers secure their place in the European Cup Winners Cup Final, as Celtic drop 2 points at home in a shock 2-3 loss to Dundee Utd, in the League
The situation is now thus.
Both Glasgow giants will contest in Europe's two big Finals.
Rangers on 54 points from 33 games will play Celtic (on 55 points from 32 games) at Ibrox in their final League game of the season.
This is a must win game for Rangers if they are to win the Championship.
Incredibly so,
Alex Willoughby, who has scored 17 goals in 14 games is DROPPED for Rangers two most important games of the season, and is replaced by a defender of sorts (Roger Hynd), who has made not one start all season long
(Rangers fail to win either game).

Despite such an incredible humiliation (which must be second only to his cousin's binning after Berwick), Willoughby stayed at Rangers.

With four new signings, Willoughby got nowhere near the first team in the first 11 games of the season (67-68).
In the middle of October, with Henderson out with a fractured jaw, Persson was moved to outside right and Symon recalled Willoughby to the side, at inside left.
Willoughby played in Symon's last three games, before he was fired.
When White took over on Nov 1st, he dropped Willoughby for his first three games, but installed him in his next game, a table top clash at home to Hibs.
This was an ill tempered affair that saw Alex Ferguson and Colin Stein (Hibs) sent off for fighting.
As Rangers hung on to a 1-0 lead (Greig pen 34 mins), it was Alex Willoughby who secured the points with a second goal five minutes from the end.
Willoughby made 20 starts (3 sub) for White that season scoring 10 goals.
His most important goal came at Kilmarnock in the penultimate League game of the season, when he came off the bench to score the winner.
This kept White's unbeaten League record at 22 wins and 3 draws in 25 games.

Willoughby made only 4 appearances (3 starts 1 sub) in the 68-69 season.
His final appearance in a Rangers shirt oddly enough was with a No 7 on the back.
It was also Alex MacDonald's debut, having been signed four days earlier.
Nov 23rd 1968, Clyde 1-1 Rangers (Stein)
Martin, Johansen, Mathieson, Greig, McKinnon, D.Smith, Willoughby, MacDonald, Stein, Johnston, Persson.
Only McKinnon (and Henderson who was injured) remained from the team he made his debut in five and a half years earlier.
Willoughby was transferred to Aberdeen in the summer of 69' for £25,000 to rejoin his cousin Jim Forrest.

Alex Willoughby was at Ibrox for virtually the entire decade that was the Sixties, and yet he played in less than 100 games.

This famous quote (taken from Rangers Media) that I was previously unaware of, does show an incredible level of loyalty that we would never see in today's game, and is one of those stories etched into Ibrox folklore.
Alex Willoughby explaining to an astonished press pack why he had rejected a glamour move to English giants Manchester United – “they can’t give me the blue shirt of the Rangers”

His record of 47 Goals scored in 95 Games (90 starts, 5 subs) is still very impressive for an Inside Forward.

Once again, a wonderful read.

And one of Baxter's pallbeaers, too.

I probably had it on the bedroom too growing up.

The Pink Times and Green Citizen, approaching the stadium in the mid 60s and you had the posters inside. They were all on my bedroom wall.
Even as a kid I still thought if they can colour in blue why not at least red on socks! The 'Gers History guy on the forum full colour versions are brilliant.

Even as a kid I still thought if they can colour in blue why not at least red on socks! The 'Gers History guy on the forum full colour versions are brilliant.

A wee daft one.

We were up at Dingwall to play Ross County in the SC in Feb 1966. So my old man , my granda and uncles plus the Mermaid mob are up at the game.

Danny Blachflower, a Spurs legend is by now part of the BBC team. They had a team up at the game. He is out interviewing Rangers fans before the game.

But Alex Wiloughby, who is not part of the team that night, is still there. He's out talking to supporters before the game. Unfortunately he bumps into my uncle Billy, who informs him, to his face: 'Your're a great fotballer; but you don't have that dig in your game.'

That would have been my uncle Billy in a good mood

A wee daft one.

We were up at Dingwall to play Ross County in the SC in Feb 1966. So my old man , my granda and uncles plus the Mermaid mob are up at the game.

Danny Blachflower, a Spurs legend is by now part of the BBC team. They had a team up at the game. He is out interviewing Rangers fans before the game.

But Alex Wiloughby, who is not part of the team that night, is still there. He's out talking to supporters before the game. Unfortunately he bumps into my uncle Billy, who informs him, to his face: 'Your're a great fotballer; but you don't have that dig in your game.'

That would have been my uncle Billy in a good mood
Unfortunately maybe a bit of truth in that - I was too young to have that opinion but my Da and his pals - going from what they shouted! - had that opinion of quite of number of players.

Unfortunately maybe a bit of truth in that - I was too young to have that opinion but my Da and his pals - going from what they shouted! - had that opinion of quite of number of players.

But it flies in the face of what they'd have thought of Baxter and McMillan?

I'm talking about my da and uncle Billy here too.

My old man (who is the greatest Ranger I've ever met) brought me up and regaled me with stories of Struth and his discipline.

His favourite player? The ultimate maverick, Jim Baxter (and Laudrup)

But it flies in the face of what they'd have thought of Baxter and McMillan?

I'm talking about my da and uncle Billy here too.

My old man (who is the greatest Ranger I've ever met) brought me up and regaled me with stories of Struth and his discipline.

His favourite player? The ultimate maverick, Jim Baxter (and Laudrup)
When standing on the terrace with My Da and his mates ( when no sent doon the front) just like today every player and the ref could get it. Even Baxter recognised as our best player, any daft missed pass he was not above getting it in the neck. They were vocal with their feelings - I learned a lot of new words along with all the party songs on the supporters bus. He was born '32 and favourite younger had been Tiger Shaw, Thornton and Waddell I think and then by the time he took me it was Jimmy Millar. He admired Struth as well- he told me as wee boy him and his mate would get sixpence ( a tanner) to go to the game 2d each way on tram and 2d to get in but they always managed a lift over so 2d for sweets!! So he said.

Last edited:
When standing on the terrace with My Da and his mates ( when no sent doon the front) just like today every player and the ref could get it. Even Baxter recognised as our best player, any daft missed pass he was not above getting it in the neck. They were vocal with their feelings - I learned a lot of new words along with all the party songs on the supporters bus. He was born '32 and favourite younger had been Tiger Shaw, Thornton and Waddell I think and then by the time he took me it was Jimmy Millar. He admired Struth as well- he told me as wee boy him and his mate would get sixpence ( a tanner) to go to the game 2d each way on tram and 2d to get in but they always managed a lift over so 2d for sweets!! So he said.

My da was born in 36. his childhood idol was Willie Thornton. (see the Rangers/Sgt Pepper cover)

He still rates him the best Rangers centre he ever saw He loved Sammy Cox. ; 'The marvel fae Darvel'. In saying that, he loved them all.

Scott Symon’s handling of Forrest the Willoughby was absolutely criminal. He also sold Wee Davie Wilson when he was only 28 iirc
Not playing Alex in the ECWC in 67 cost us dearly
Still sickens me to this day

Scott Symon’s handling of Forrest the Willoughby was absolutely criminal. He also sold Wee Davie Wilson when he was only 28 iirc
Not playing Alex in the ECWC in 67 cost us dearly
Still sickens me to this day
Too true. The events of that end of season was a bit of a mystery then and over the years more and more info has just made it even more - f@cked us up for years till Willie and Jock got things turning! Davie was my first fav just fromwatvhing the b&w telly and my Da's Rangers books. First game I went to he didn'y play - Ritchie, Shearer, Caldow, Greig, McKinnon, Baxter, Henderson, McMillan, Millar, Brand and........Derek Traill!! :))

Back