Do we now need a dedicated set piece coach?

GersLoyal74

Maybe like most people I'm a bit disappointed going out last night as I felt Benfica were there for the taking, but overall I think it will help us achieve the league title which is always my number 1 target at the start of the season.

Anyway I remember big Phil being asked about bringing in a set piece coach a few weeks back and he said something like, not now as he enjoys doing it too much.

However do we now think we need to bring someone in?

I was hugely frustrated over both legs that their keeper looked suspect and yet not once did we try an inswinging corner. Every one was out the way.

We barely score from them and last night our defending position at our corners was mental

Is it time to bring in a dedicated set piece coach?

This is not a criticism of big Phil. I love the big baldy Begian. But perhaps some extra support and ingenuity might be good.

Thoughts bears?

Without a doubt.

Our set pieces are horrendous. Very little thought or creativity goes into them.

No change up in deliveries, Ridvan is poor in terms of his delivery and when we do try a short option it never works and looks like the players are just winging it.

Corners haven't been great for years , we seldom score , they take too much time out of the game ,they invariably result in the opposition bearing down and hence uninvited pressure.Its went on for too long albeit under successive managers ,it definitely needs addressing.

Maybe like most people I'm a bit disappointed going out last night as I felt Benfica were there for the taking, but overall I think it will help us achieve the league title which is always my number 1 target at the start of the season.

Anyway I remember big Phil being asked about bringing in a set piece coach a few weeks back and he said something like, not now as he enjoys doing it too much.

I was hugely frustrated over both legs that their keeper looked suspect and yet not once did we try an inswinging corner. Every one was out the way.

We barely score from them and last night our defending position at our corners was mental

This is not a criticism of big Phil. I love the big baldy Begian. But perhaps some extra support and ingenuity might be good.

Thoughts bears?

Outswinger or inswinger it doesn’t matter when most of our corners fail to clear the first man.

Yes.

Our delivery is absolutely horrendous & given our CB height & physical stature, we don’t score anywhere near enough headed goals from FK’s & corners.

Balogun is a real threat from corners, Goldson & Souttar are not.

How would a set piece coach turn Goldson & Souttar into a threat?

Fans expect too much from corners. Statistically, across the game, a goal only results from about 1 in 70 of them.

On a related note, I wish someone would teach Ridvan how to do a throw-in properly. I'm always expecting the ref to award a foul throw against him.

Thoughts bears?
Absolutely.
Though it would help if the players would actually attack the ball from corners.

I know delivery is key but we also need players who can head the ball towards the goal, the majority of balls into the box that we manage to get a head to go well over or past the post.

Improved delivery, variety of delivery (outswingers & inswingers), improved starting positions for their runs, certain players being blockers etc.

Quite a few ways actually.

The players aren’t good enough, doesn’t matter if they are attacking an in swinger, an out swinger or where they start their runs from.

They could have free headers & they’d still fail to hit the target with the majority of them.

Corners at either end of the pitch have been woeful for us for a good while and it’s not just under Clement.
Honestly feels like we never look like scoring from them and defending them always gives me the fear. We regularly look like we’ll concede either straight from a corner or the 2nd ball after we clear it initially. It’s an area we really need to improve on - at both ends of the pitch.

The players aren’t good enough, doesn’t matter if they are attacking an in swinger, an out swinger or where they start their runs from.

They could have free headers & they’d still fail to hit the target with the majority of them.
Goldson in the previous two seasons - 3 or 4 goals (0 this year)

Souttar in his last season before joining - 4 goals for Hearts (1 this year)

Would suggest they can, but something needs to change.

We had 8 corners last night can’t remember threatening them at all ,that’s a substantial amount against quality opposition.

100%.
For a professional outfit like ourselves to be so bad at set pieces, is embarrassing really. I`d have one in tomorrow if available.
Its the basics of football and we are so bad.

Pains me to say it but remember 20 years ago watching o'squells team every time they had a set piece it was practically a penalty as they were that successful.

It took us having to get the likes of Boumsong,Andrews and Kyrgiakos to combat them.

With conditions last night every single cross should have been played in a way that if missed it had a chance of sneaking or deflecting in.

Get to the bye line, low and hard. Cut back inside, aim for the back post. Corners, inswinging.

In addition to set piece tactics , we need players who can actually head the ball towards the goal.

Our corners were more risk than opportunity last night.

Thoughts bears?
knee jerk reaction , you either believe in the manager or you don't .

The short corner we took second half was comedy…..Ridvan was putting the ball on the corner, Dio ran to him wanting a quick short corner, Ridvan never seen him at that point, Dio turns away only for Ridvan to then give him it, he’s robbed and Benfica break on us again.

I think it’s safe to say we do.

The only thing consistent about our set pieces is how ineffective they are. We need to be doing better from them.

knee jerk reaction , you either believe in the manager or you don't .
Hardly knee jerk. I firmly believe in the manager but I feel there is room for improvement in this specific area.

As for the stats about outswingers .... that keeper was suspect and you would have thought at least once we could have tried something different to see how he reacted and dealt with everyone coming at him.

That wee short corner straight to the Benfica player last night which set them off on another attack was absolutely horrendous.

What we could do is maybe allow other players to take corners , free kicks instead of our full backs all the time , ridvan corners couldnt get it past the first man and tav overhits them all the time , let cantwell , Lawrence hit a few corners

Thoughts bears?
Not sure if we need a specific set piece coach, but we need to have more variety.

We used in swinging corners at the weekend in the cup match, but did not do it against Benfica.
It was good to see us play the low ball toward the end of the penalty box for Tom Lawrence to shoot when we had our first corner last night.

But there is no doubt we are terrible, generally, when it comes to corners and throw-ins.
It makes me really angry that a lot of time we lose possession from a throw in, while we stand off and allow teams to keep possession when they have a throw in.

It must be said there are other basics that we don’t do well.

I can never understand why we, and other teams, don’t put their fastest player at the halfway line when defending a corner or a free kick in a dangerous position in our own half.

There is always a likelihood you will win possession back and a big punt into the opposition half to be pursued by somebody like Matondo means your opponents probably have to keep at least two players back to defend against that.

Never going to happen big Phil has already stated that he is not giving that side of the coaching to anyone else.

It’s the definition of madness, doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.
To put it into perspective Arsenal have scored 13 times from corners this year alone.

From memory I’m sure we had a pretty well worked one but Lawrence miss kicked it.

But in general we need to improve this area

Never going to happen big Phil has already stated that he is not giving that side of the coaching to anyone else.
Will become more of a problem for us then. Set pieces are key in games in both boxes. If we're suspect at defending ones against us, and laughably bad at benefitting from our own, that's a huge chunk of goals for and against, being a problem for us.

Clement can start by demanding that Goldson and Souttar actually attempt to attack the ball.

They are absolutely awful in the opposition box.

Why this has not been addressed is ridiculous.

Thoughts bears?
I think we have needed one for years! PC was asked that question a while back and said he does it! Maybe it is time for a change PC

Given what we often hear about marginal gains in elite sport, we're currently getting a very poor return from the (literally) hundreds of corners we win.

Might have been H&H or the Rangers Review, but sure I heard yesterday we've scored 4 goals from nearly 350 corners this season. Even a small improvement on that could be the difference in a tight run-in.

Last edited:
Back