Celtic are poised to pay multimillion-pound damages within months after agreeing to settle legal claims over systematic child abuse

It really ought to be tens of millions
It will be when the lawyers bills are taken into account. Both Thomsons and Celtic’s lawyers will be paid multi-millions.

Sadly I anticipate it will be NDAs for the victims but I would also expect that Celtic will have to pay a premium on top of the damages for people to agree to sign the NDA.

Unfortunately, this is how most of these cases end up being resolved. Celtic don’t want to go to court but at the same time, many of the victims don’t want to face the trauma of giving evidence in a public court.

What will happen is that someone will leak the overall figure at some point, and others will leak individual figures, especially those at the top end, at some point afterwards.

Sadly, the Scottish media will try to ignore this as much as they possibly can but it is likely that the English media may be the people who will drag Celtic through the dirt.

"Lawyers acting for the former youth players argued that the boys’ club and Celtic were “intimately connected” and that the senior club was “vicariously liable” for assaults carried out in the youth set-up"

If that's what Thompsons have got Celtic to admit/ agree then that's really excellent id say after years of them trying to deny those prosecuted for abuse were Celtic employees

The manipulation continues, the narrative selective, terms and conditions applied?
For whose benefit, the consequences of this disgraceful scandal is incomprehensible. What is unfolding is damage limitation for the guilty party, again no compassion or consideration for the victims.
Come clean, openness and transparency, not in a million ,typically and predictably this is what our country has become !
A cesspit of injustice , the protected species that is Celtic FC must not and will not be accountable. Generations suffered but who were responsible? Tragic state of affairs but carry on regardless, nothing too see hear, business as usual, pathetic and tragic in equal proportions.

Looks like the dhims are afraid to mention it on their forums. Those that do are either saying it's "deflection" or just downright lies :eek:

They re employed KNOWN pedophiles back into their organisation. They actively ENABLED the abuse of children, just how any insurance company would bail them out is baffling.

Was any of this mentioned in their recent accounts as a potential liability? Surely if it wasn’t then they’ve also failed in their fiduciary duties as far as the city are concerned? Is this yet another cover up?

The football authorities (uefa, sfa) need to step in and send a firm message across world football that such flagrant disregard for child welfare will not be tolerated.

So many questions to be asked of so many organisations. This should be shaking world sport to its foundations.
The SFA won't go near this as their inquiry carried out was nothing more than a whitewash. Those carrying out that inquiry should be facing charges for deliberately trying to continue the cover up.

Is anyone able to offer any insight into how this will financially impact them. Reading the article it suggests that it will be dealt on an individual case by case basis. What is the least likely to be paid out to a victim for something like this.
They supposedly have 70 mill in cash.
They will be fine.

folk hoping for this to end them financially or sporting sanctions to be imposed are in for a bitter disappointment

They supposedly have 70 mill in cash.
They will be fine.

folk hoping for this to end them financially or sporting sanctions to be imposed are in for a bitter disappointment
The SFA should be hounded until there are sanctions against Celtic as tbh, for Celtic for years to continue to deny they were responsible & those convicted of abuse were actually employees allowed Celtic to gain a sporting advantage as, they should have paid out the millions to the victims years ago & their failure do that allowed them to buy players they actually couldnt/shouldnt have been available to afford giving them a sporting advantage.

The SFA should be hounded until there are sanctions against Celtic as tbh, for Celtic for years to continue to deny they were responsible & those convicted of abuse were actually employees allowed Celtic to gain a sporting advantage as, they should have paid out the millions to the victims years ago & their failure do that allowed them to buy players they actually couldnt/shouldnt have been available to afford giving them a sporting advantage.
Should be is completely different to will be.
Who is going to hound them? look at the front pages of every Scottish paper on the bbc site. celtic are not mentioned. No one in the Scottish media will pick this up and campaign with any fervour to get celtic punished.
No One

Should be is completely different to will be.
Who is going to hound them? look at the front pages of every Scottish paper on the bbc site. celtic are not mentioned. No one in the Scottish media will pick this up and campaign with any fervour to get celtic punished.
No One
i think you should check the papers again as its in the Record & the Sun & I expect the Scottish Express to run with this.

Stv news. Lead story. Bottle thrown by bad Rangers fans. Nothing on the filth. Shocked. Not.
A couple of points. Folk should not expect this to have any significant effect on the scum finances. Going by previous type cases, such as Man City, this will cost them a couple of million pounds at most
. They are currently cash rich.
Their PR machine and media stoodgies will have this framed as an act of mercy and the club doing the right thing despite the CBC not being part of the club. Probably a statement of not accepting guilt as part of the agreement with Thompsons.
Will also be calls for other clubs to follow suit.
The entire thing stinks. Just hope the victims get some sort of closure.

That part about calls for other clubs to follow suit is so utterly disgusting considering what that club has done for decades to children but I really expect them to make a statement like this.

So, when do the “consequences” happen then.

Effectively admitting they systematically abused 100’s of children and then covered it up and denied it for decades must surely carry punishment and consequences with it.

#stripthetitles. #kickthemout

Isn't Gordon Woods taking them to court no matter what?

Its more about truth and justice for that brave chap as far as I was aware.
In Gordon Woods case I believe he's sincere enough to see this all the way through. For the most of these poor souls though, and this is no criticism, but I fear once the prospect of a real monetary offer is on the table the NDA is an inevitable compromise.

In the print paper or website? i just checked the bbc page where they have front covers of each scottish paper - nothing
in this thread someone posted the Sun and its online for the record here

Celtic Boys Club abuse case moving forward and could settle for 'millions'​

More than 20 former players previously launched action against the club for damages.

Solicitors have said that the Celtic Boys Club abuse case has made 'significant progress' and could settle for millions of pounds.

More than 20 former players previously launched action against the club for damages.

Thompsons Solicitors - who are representing a number of former Celtic youth players - has now said the valuation of all cases has progressed in the last six months.

A spokesperson told the BBC : "We do not yet have all necessary evidence to commence settlement negotiations and so the court has granted a further short list of four months to allow opportunity to do so given the complexities of this task."

Recently a number of former coaches and officials of the Celtic Boys' Club club have been convicted of sexual offences against teenage players spanning decades.

And last year a judge gave the go-ahead for a group litigation to proceed.

The boys' club was established in 1966 as a feeder team to the senior Celtic side with the club sharing many connections such as players, officials and premises.

Celtic has previously insisted that it wasn't responsible because the boys' club was an "entirely different organisation" but confirmed it was seeking to settle the cases in Septemner, 2023.

Lawyers acting for the former players argue the boys club and Celtic were "intimately connected" and the senior club was "vicariously liable" for assaults carried out.

The litigation relates to historical claims of sexual assault by convicted paedophiles Jim Torbett - the founder of the Boys Club - and Frank Cairney, a former coach.

The story is not on the front page of any Scottish newspaper.

Says it all really.

This will be reported in the most minimalistic way possible in a matter of fact way then shut down and moved on asap.

No opinion pieces. Phone ins will declare "we only want to talk about football".

After years of lying about a separate entity they are finally caught bang to rights.

And the Scottish media wont take it on?

Sinister and very disturbing.

You can get policies that cover historical abuse i believe. It wont have to be the same policy. There was a thread before where the exact explanation was posted but i dont know it verbatim mate.

The RC Church and the filth don't need insurance for historical abuse.

They have the SNP to protect them. And the greens, Labour, the lib dems and the tories are scared to say anything anyway.

It’ll be buried behind a story of bins being blown over and so guy getting a parking fine by the Scottish press when this is settled.

The story is not on the front page of any Scottish newspaper.

Says it all really.

It's all part of the usual suppression of this long running story, to break the news of a possible conclusion at a time when all focus is on the league title race.
Anybody daring to mention it will be accused of "point-scoring".

"Lawyers acting for the former youth players argued that the boys’ club and Celtic were “intimately connected” and that the senior club was “vicariously liable” for assaults carried out in the youth set-up"

If that's what Thompsons have got Celtic to admit/ agree then that's really excellent id say after years of them trying to deny those prosecuted for abuse were Celtic employees

They have no option CCM.

The mountains of evidence against them means they will LOSE in court, in fact they already did a few years ago with an unnamed player supported by Digby Brown.

They're playing on a lot of these people being dragged along for years & just wanting their cash now. I wont criticise these people as their lives were fucked up by this, not mine.

But #CELTICTHEPAEDOCLUB are doing everything to avoid the apology which puts sponsorship at risk.

Cynical & disgusting.

Truly a club like no other.

Isn't Gordon Woods taking them to court no matter what?

Its more about truth and justice for that brave chap as far as I was aware.
Is that not exactly what has happened. They have went to court and won, it was only ever going to result in monetary damages. It’s up to the authorities to hold them to account for prioritising their ability to win a football game over people’s lives.

The vow of silence and abstaining of speaking about the systematic abuse at Celtic FC , really tells you about radio clyde ,Hugh Keevins and the association with the separate entity organisation.
Furthermore the reporting of this national disgraceful scandal is quite unbelievable,
An institution of the size of Celtic FC, the pitiful coverage from media and press releases?
Anyone would think that they had something to hide, scurrilous rumours, this impeccably run affluent business couldn't possibly be mixed up in such debauchery?.
Well actually I am afraid the open secret seems to be true.

Looks like the law regarding NDAs being used to cover crimes is about to end.

"certain types of disclosure"

From my reading of the proposals, they do not stop the use of NDAs to prevent victims discussing crimes committed against them in public or with the press.

Only police, lawyers and support services would be permitted disclosure from a victim in these proposals...

=====================================
"The proposals mean that employers would not be able to use NDAs to prevent certain types of disclosures. The new law would ensure that “information related to criminal conduct” can be discussed with the following:

• The police or other bodies which investigate or prosecute crime.
  • Qualified and regulated lawyers
  • Other support services (such as counsellors, advocacy services, or medical professionals) which operate under clear confidentiality principles
=====================================

It will be when the lawyers bills are taken into account. Both Thomsons and Celtic’s lawyers will be paid multi-millions.

Sadly I anticipate it will be NDAs for the victims but I would also expect that Celtic will have to pay a premium on top of the damages for people to agree to sign the NDA.

Unfortunately, this is how most of these cases end up being resolved. Celtic don’t want to go to court but at the same time, many of the victims don’t want to face the trauma of giving evidence in a public court.

What will happen is that someone will leak the overall figure at some point, and others will leak individual figures, especially those at the top end, at some point afterwards.

Sadly, the Scottish media will try to ignore this as much as they possibly can but it is likely that the English media may be the people who will drag Celtic through the dirt.
Two points, one surely this must show up at their AGM it’s a financial loss and as such it’s a business? Two the Scottish Media which IS! run by Scum I haven’t seen or heard a thing, plus will there be any comments in Holyrood very much doubt it, after all it’s infested!

The Q is ! Did they have this policy in place nearly 40 years ago ?
Afaik all football clubs as part of being a professional football club when formed in order to play in the league have to have Public Liability Insurance.
So in short I would assume they had this insurance prior to the abuse being committed.

What I’m not clear about is whether this insurance would cover those criminal offences of child abuse.?

I really don’t know mate. But, if it was possible, and there’s every chance it is, then that lot will have sorted it out because they knew this was coming over the hill at some point.
Yes but, they denied denied denied that all those found guilty were Celtic employees but have now admitted vicarious liability so, wouldnt this make any policy null & void as they clearly didnt tell the Insurers all information they knew?

I'm no expert either but taking it from a common sense point of view - you would expect any insurers would be unlikely to pay out if it could be proved that Celtic knew they were putting paedophiles in charge of children and putting them in danger. The big thread on this subject seems to have plenty of evidence that paedophiles were knowingly put in charge of the kids teams. Hopefully the spotlight team can make this helpful information available to any interested insurance company - without giving away all the secrets they keep.
Yes maybe but I think we can be sure that any settlement they are endeavouring to make would be without admission of guilt.
All about protecting brand Celtic.

So therefore they would not be in the position you outline and their Public Liability Insurance would kick in.
However knowing Insurance Companies they will do everything in their power to avoid any pay out.

I've tried all morning to put my thoughts into words on this but I'm still struggling. For decades the victims and their families were told they were lying and the fan base didn't care. Former club staff admitted it was an open secret what was going on and the fan base didn't care and the authorities didn't react. The courts decided that these offences had occurred and the fan base didn't care and wider Scottish society just accepted it. Now the club is approaching as much of an admission of guilt as the victims will ever get and the response will be the same. Because they've always known and been fine with it. How did we get to a stage where people, some of whom will be parents, are publicly willing to admit supporting these offences and the attempted cover up? Where former and current players and staff are clearly not ashamed of anything the club has done? Where the most senior figures in society do nothing about this and the public just shrugs? We're expecting justice or decency about this, but we're dealing with fundamentally indecent people.

The vow of silence and abstaining of speaking about the systematic abuse at Celtic FC , really tells you about radio clyde ,Hugh Keevins and the association with the separate entity organisation.
Furthermore the reporting of this national disgraceful scandal is quite unbelievable,
An institution of the size of Celtic FC, the pitiful coverage from media and press releases?
Anyone would think that they had something to hide, scurrilous rumours, this impeccably run affluent business couldn't possibly be mixed up in such debauchery?.
Well actually I am afraid the open secret seems to be true.
This Hugh Keevins? The one who would refer to it as Celtic's Boys' Club (the boys club belonging to Celtic) in a report about Celtic FC.

Screenshot-20240409-095538-Gallery.jpg

Back