We are going to need some amazing wheeling and dealing come the summer

I don't but they two were miles above the dross we've had this year. The focus should be on the rubbish we have and how we move on from it not criticising a minority of people who might actually now look back and think better of players now they've seen their replacements.

Oh it's on the rubbish we have now alright, mate.

Some effort needed over the next two or three windows.

ideally that would be the case, but recent history shows us when we spread whatever finances we have rather thinly, we tend to end up with , guys on a downward spiral at the end of their careers, jobbers that lower league teams are passing on , or guys with a history of injuries, so we can hope for the best , but prepare for the worse

We need a total reset of mentality at the club.

Every year without fail, when the leagues usually gone by this stage, this team puts together a run of performances. All of a sudden when the pressure is on, we’re losing quite convincingly to the same opposition. People blame Tav and Goldson (which is valid) - it’s also infected the players who arrive after them like a disease. It’s very concerning.

ideally that would be the case, but recent history shows us when we spread whatever finances we have rather thinly, we tend to end up with , guys on a downward spiral at the end of their careers, jobbers that lower league teams are passing on , or guys with a history of injuries, so we can hope for the best , but prepare for the worse

Sad but true.

hopefully the signing of Diomande & possible capture of Cortes show a different approach

it can be done

The league is gone unless they make an arse of things. Might as well drop all the out of contract & let them go & make their new deals. Play the likes of Rice & others as there is no pressure, see what we can promote for next season that's how RMC has come through out of necessity.

It's will take 2/3 years several windows and probably £30 million plus investment and of course getting the recruitment near enough perfect.

Koppen has inherited a mess and until we offload the high earners and the injury prone duds we are fucked for the foreseeable future.

Plans should be well underway now to start the overhaul but with funds tight, a bloated high wage bill and £4 million plus already committed to Diomande I'm not entire confident we will have much of a budget for next season.

This is why Koppen has been hired to find gems and low priced assets who we can bring in, develop and sell for big money that needs to be the start of our player trading model.

Last edited:
The scum in 2021-22 showed what you can do with a single good transfer window. It's doable.

Regardless of Champions League money, we have a wage budget which should enable us to put a competitive team on the pitch. Our problem is that so much of our resources are tied up in non-entities like Davies, Matondo, Lawrence and Dowell.

Tell you the most important thing we need to do is tell Goldson,Tavernier and Lundstrum they no longer have a future at the club and we are looking to move them on and take the club in a new direction do we really have the balls to do that
100%

I can accept new guys coming in a not being successful - all signings are a gamble of sorts.

What I can’t accept is the same old shite from the same players anymore season after season.

It's going to be very interesting summer . We have a good few out of contact ,freeing up wages,and a few wee hopefully could sell. Possibly Hagi , Davies, Lammers, McCrorie , Matando , Dowell, Wright, Raskin . We will need to be looking as some Scottish players to help with the European Quota . I can't see many coming thro' from the BTeam to help. I suspect we will have already lined up some out of contact players . However it looks like another big turnover year which really does not do us any favours .We have to get it right this year.

I don't but they two were miles above the dross we've had this year. The focus should be on the rubbish we have and how we move on from it not criticising a minority of people who might actually now look back and think better of players now they've seen their replacements.
Morelos was as bad as Dessers and Kent wasn’t interested.

We'll get excuses about how we can't do this because we might not get better quality, the players will take time to settle, we won't know what we've got until its gone etc.

We're at a similar stage this summer as we were under Gerrard when he first took over.

We essentially have a rich man's version of Warburton/Pedro/Murty's squad and its badly needing gutted.

Mentality and attitude comes from the very top. We've been weak and lazy from the boardroom dpwn for years now.

We need to become ruthless. Failure is failure no matter how it gets dressed up.

We'll get excuses about how we can't do this because we might not get better quality, the players will take time to settle, we won't know what we've got until its gone etc.

We're at a similar stage this summer as we were under Gerrard when he first took over.

We essentially have a rich man's version of Warburton/Pedro/Murty's squad and its badly needing gutted.

Mentality and attitude comes from the very top. We've been weak and lazy from the boardroom dpwn for years now.

We need to become ruthless. Failure is failure no matter how it gets dressed up.
Great post
Couldn’t disagree with any on that

This is a big problem as well.

A boardroom filled with blazer chasers who haven't a clue what they're doing.

Leaderless top to bottom.

Morelos was as bad as Dessers and Kent wasn’t interested.

For the full time they were here? Don't be silly mate.

The point is that criticising a small minority of the fan base who might now look back and say ffs we've ended up with worse than what we've had isn't exactly worthwhile. We just need to focus on getting rid of said dross and getting players of the level of Morelos and Kent back again (but not actually Kent and Morelos) as they were a level above what we've replaced them with (in general terms, Sima excepted).

Bang on insaid on another thread from top to management in recent years they have not been ruthless when it comes to getting rid of the old guard. This summer needs to be it.

We need a total reset of mentality at the club.

Every year without fail, when the leagues usually gone by this stage, this team puts together a run of performances. All of a sudden when the pressure is on, we’re losing quite convincingly to the same opposition. People blame Tav and Goldson (which is valid) - it’s also infected the players who arrive after them like a disease. It’s very concerning.
It feeds down through the captain and vice captain though, if you see your supposed leaders shitting the bed like that with zero consequence year on year then of course the players will draw off that

I’m open to getting rid of Goldson and Tav. I love Tav and feel bad saying this. He’s been a great servant to the club, About 120 Rangers goals and probably as many assists. A Europa league finalist, A modern day legend. Both have cost us many goals in seasons gone by and point the finger at each other.

If we get a decent bid for Butland I’d sell him too. Nothing against him, Top class keeper, Investment reasons only.

Barisic I can’t wait to see the back of. Lundstram can go too as well as Jack and Roofe to free up massive wages.

We need a brand new back 4, This one is well past its sell by date. Barisic 6 years, Goldson 6 years, Tav 9 years.

Raskin can go
Dessers can go
Matondo can go
Wright can go
Dowell can go

Far too many mentally weak players in the squad costing us points, Trophies and managers.

How many years is it now we’ve been saying this?
It’s like Groundhog Day with this conversation

Personally though I have faith in our manager to get it right in the summer
I also wouldn’t be surprised if tav or goldson are told they are not in his plans come the end of the season

It’s like Groundhog Day with this conversation

Personally though I have faith in our manager to get it right in the summer
I also wouldn’t be surprised if tav or goldson are told they are not in his plans come the end of the season
I suspect that may be wishful thinking.

Both Tav and Goldson have been well off it for weeks yet they remain undroppable. I’ll wager both will be in the starting line-up on Wednesday too.

That doesn’t suggest to me a manager looking to get rid of both in the summer.

The league is gone unless they make an arse of things. Might as well drop all the out of contract & let them go & make their new deals. Play the likes of Rice & others as there is no pressure, see what we can promote for next season that's how RMC has come through out of necessity.
Recent results have taken its toll on the moral of fans and understandably causes overly negative feelings.
If you were told at the start of the season we would have won the League cup,in the semi final of the Scottish Cup and potentially entering the split one point behind with 6 games to play,one against them you would think with a treble still on that this is a decent season.

In the unlikely of us performing a dramatic turnaround, we cannot go into next season with the core of this side.

Tell you the most important thing we need to do is tell Goldson,Tavernier and Lundstrum they no longer have a future at the club and we are looking to move them on and take the club in a new direction do we really have the balls to do that
That would be a bold move. Could end up well; could end up like Ajax this season.

Doubt the board would risk change of that scale.

That would be a bold move. Could end up well; could end up like Ajax this season.

Doubt the board would risk change of that scale.
It's not exactly change for change sake.

We are talking about players who would've been chased two years ago if it wasn't for Seville, not to play the achievement down.

I think we need to get a Scottish core to the team, even during the days of 9 in a row we had this and from somewhere we need a leader in the style of a John Brown or Barry Ferguson, I know they had different footballing qualities but they understood what it took to be a Rangers player and made sure those from different countries understood this.

It's not exactly change for change sake.

We are talking about players who would've been chased two years ago if it wasn't for Seville, not to play the achievement down.
I don't disagree but it would undeniably be a risk to get rid of all three in one go when we have limited funds to replace them.

As much as it pains me to say it I am now of the thinking I had when Gerrard first came in.

We need to improve the squad / starting 11 every window but it won't happen in one transfer window in the summer.

As much as we are all compiling lists of the players we'd like to see go and the 5-6 we'd like to see stay its not doable in one window especially with limited resources.

From the current squad there is 15-20 players people would want rid of and realistically that just isn't going to happen.

I think we need to get a Scottish core to the team, even during the days of 9 in a row we had this and from somewhere we need a leader in the style of a John Brown or Barry Ferguson, I know they had different footballing qualities but they understood what it took to be a Rangers player and made sure those from different countries understood this.

You're spot on, but even if we somehow raised more cash for players than usual, I can't think of too many players who fit the bill?

McBurnie will jump out to many, but I genuinely don't think he is much better than Dessers.

We seem to be needing to rip it up and start again every season but the same faces keep walking down the tunnel at the start of the season. There's hardly a face in that squad id keep right now and one I would like to keep we don't even own! It's a sh!t show and it's down to the board.

Recent results have taken its toll on the moral of fans and understandably causes overly negative feelings.
If you were told at the start of the season we would have won the League cup,in the semi final of the Scottish Cup and potentially entering the split one point behind with 6 games to play,one against them you would think with a treble still on that this is a decent season.
True mate, still to be in the mix at this stage of the season after Beale is bonkers considering how bad we were. Big Phil got a tune out of the usual serial losers but you only ever get so far with them before they bottle it again.
It looks like they've shat it again yesterday, can't see us going to the piggery for a must win result.

Round and round we go

Genuinely feels like every single summer we are “rebuilding”

It’s a mess
Regardless of what happened in regards to title this season we were always rebuilding come the summer. Beale made a mess of last summers recruitment on top of the mess Wilson made. Clement got a tune out of them for a period but we always needed a rebuild

Nothing has changed on the back of yesterdays defeat

It feeds down through the captain and vice captain though, if you see your supposed leaders shitting the bed like that with zero consequence year on year then of course the players will draw off that
I don’t disagree but at the same time those players can fuckin cry me a river. That shite attitude is another huge problem. If you need another player to be confident so you can play confidently, they’re not at the right club. It ends up with not one player taking responsibility for their own performances.

Need a leader on the park, someone to rouse, rally & cajole players when the heads start to drop. Can't think of any Scottish player who could do this.

As much as it pains me to say it I am now of the thinking I had when Gerrard first came in.

We need to improve the squad / starting 11 every window but it won't happen in one transfer window in the summer.

As much as we are all compiling lists of the players we'd like to see go and the 5-6 we'd like to see stay its not doable in one window especially with limited resources.

From the current squad there is 15-20 players people would want rid of and realistically that just isn't going to happen.
You're certainly right as far as paying transfer fees goes, but here's the thing that's most depressing about your "won't happen in one transfer window": We should now be several windows into a rebuild. Instead, our dealings in recent windows have left us with very few players who have been upgrades or even adequate replacements for members of the 55-Seville team who have left, retired or need to be moved on this summer.

Of the current squad, the only players brought in since Seville who I think have been unqualified positive additions are:
Butland (certain to be sold in my opinion)
Yilmaz (left back)
Souttar (squad CB)
Sterling (midfield, maybe RB if Tav goes)
Diomande (maybe, midfield)
Cantwell (an option at number 10, far from first choice on my teamsheet though, would sell if we can get better)
Sima (left side of front three - but not yet our player)
Danilo (maybe, wasn't fully convinced prior to his injury)
McCausland (squad player)
Cortes (looked handy, but a risk given his injury and our track record with injuries - I feel the money will be better spent elsewhere)

For me, those are the only players who have come in since Seville who deserve to be in the conversation to stay next season.

Of the 55-Seville era players, the only one I'd hang onto would be Tavernier, and with several caveats - no longer guaranteed a start, no longer captain. That may not be what he's looking for, so it may be time to part ways.

I would certainly sell Dessers if we can get a decent offer. But at a push, he could stay as a backup striker - for all the slagging he takes, he has scored goals and done a job at times. He just can't be relied on as our first choice number 9.

That still leaves us with a huge rebuild including a first-choice goalkeeper (assuming Butland leaves), most of a defence, a leader in midfield and one other first-choice midfielder, and a first-choice number 9. And then backups. And then we have to buck recent history and make sure our recruits are mostly success stories rather than injury prone duds - otherwise, we'll be back here next April with another new manager calling for another clearout and warning that this will be a slow rebuild requiring several windows.

Back