Our younger generation of supporters.

Karky Madoolla

I know the league isn’t done yet but if it is then this continued lack of success could seriously affect our younger generation.

It must be torture for the youngsters who follow us, especially the one’s that follow every week and abroad, my son included. They absolutely adore the Rangers but I feel so sorry for them for the lack of titles we’ve won compared to the filth. It must be difficult at their football clubs, gyms, schools etc getting pelters off the scum fans.

It’s hard for me to accept even though I’ve witnessed the good and bad times throughout the years. I know it comes in cycles but we must get stronger and give the younger, and older generation something to celebrate and be proud of.

Congrats mate - the thing that is worrying me most is that my nephew was born the same day we got beat off the poets 2-0 at Ibrox, the game was in September too.
Same to you, fella. Mine is due the 5th which is close to the date we lost at Ibrox against them this season. We’ll likely play them again around that time. I’d be lying if I said I wasn’t concerned…

I know the league isn’t done yet but if it is then this continued lack of success could seriously affect our younger generation.

It must be torture for the youngsters who follow us, especially the one’s that follow every week and abroad, my son included. They absolutely adore the Rangers but I feel so sorry for them for the lack of titles we’ve won compared to the filth. It must be difficult at their football clubs, gyms, schools etc getting pelters off the scum fans.

It’s hard for me to accept even though I’ve witnessed the good and bad times throughout the years. I know it comes in cycles but we must get stronger and give the younger, and older generation something to celebrate and be proud of.
Would have been harder 10 years ago

If younger supporters bail out on following Rangers considering they've watched us lift a trophy already this season then they were never going to be a proper supporter anyway.

My missus nephew is 8 and absolutely Dundee United mad (I know) - him and my brother in law have went to every game home and away for years.

Winning the Championship this season will probably be about the only trophy he ever gets to see his team lift but his enthusiasm for supporting them has never waned even when he was a mascot the day their players flung the game 9-0 to Celtic to get Jack Ross sacked.

If he can somehow get excited about watching Tony Watt waddling around up front then I don't have any concerns that we will lose a generation of supporters any time soon.

The younger fans are like supporters of other clubs who win nothing, no different, at least supporting Rangers there is a chance to see success

Aye fair enough but you know what I’m grasping at. Don’t want it to be like it was for me early 80’s with a cup win every now and again. Especially with the money the young ones are forking out to follow everywhere.
I do know exactly what you mean. My 2 are 19 and 20. The youngest prefers basketball to football and if absolutely forced to pick a team he'd choose Man City as he was taken down to a couple of their games as high school trips but he's 100% a token supporter at best. He couldn't really care less about Scottish football or even the national team.

My eldest bleeds blue and has done from a young age. All he's really known or remembers is 2012 and it's aftermath. Now, tbf to him as he didn't know anything else, he celebrated all of the lower division titles as we of an older vintage would have a normal title and, given he was there, he absolutely loved the Petrofac cup win and still rates Tav's goal that day as the best he's ever seen. We were right behind it and he went mental. He also loved Warburton's championship season and his face and reaction at the semi final win vs them will live with me forever. Gerrard has been his favourite manager, Morelos his favourite player and he looks forwards to a European run every single season. He's also seen us lift each of the 3 domestic trophies now.

Guess my point with that previous comment is that the younger generation are far, far less damaged and reactionary to every little setback or dropped points as we are. He's seen success at every level of our professional game, he lives for the European games and has seen us win far more of those than we've lost, he has already seen us beat Celtic non stop for 2 calender years and, yes, he also went bananas at our league cup win when I was much more reserved about it. He's still convinced we will win the league and he can't wait to see who Clement will bring in next season.

I've no concerns over the younger generation as they will savour every big win and look at positives, it's us oldies that are the problem as we were spoilt growing up and all we do is moan about every little thing, often even when we are winning.

We’ve been in far more dire straits over the last decade than we are now.

I assume the fair weather fans, irrespective of their generation, have already been weeded out.

In Glasgow since the dawn of this rivalry there have always been prolonged spells where one side has to take its medicine.

The only certainty I can say is that nothing lasts forever.

My boy is 16 and is a die hard Rangers fan, he's a wee bit pissed right now obviously, but he knows what it's all about, there will be many others like him, bring them up right, no issues.
I’ve no issues. My 20 year old is a diehard and follows home and abroad. It’s maybe the really younger ones that lose interest. Like you say, bring them up right and it won’t be an issue.

Same thing happened to those born in the late 50s/early 60s and then they had a second fun spell in the 80s. If you can't support us when we aren't very good, then you were never a real supporter.

Celtic fans in the 90s/2000s would've taken as much stick as them now.
Hardly 2000’s for the mentally challengeds. but defo the 90’s what a time to be alive. Doubt we’ll ever see us dominate like that again.

If you can’t support us through are worst times then you don’t deserve to support us through our best times. It’s as simple as that!

My son is ten and we’ve been working our way through H&H’s managers collections started from Dominant, Advocaat, McLeish, PLG, Walter’s second spell and he understands that sometimes it’s not your time and you’ve gotta keep the faith. I’ve no doubt he will never give up on Rangers.

Only saw 3 titles by the time I was 23 (lots of cups though) then boom, along came the Souness revolution. The Rest of my 20's and a good chunk of my 30's where absolute triumphant bliss. What a time and age to be a Bear.
Not gonna lie though, I'm approaching 60 and fear I will never see a dominant Rangers again

If you can’t support us through are worst times then you don’t deserve to support us through our best times. It’s as simple as that!

My son is ten and we’ve been working our way through H&H’s managers collections started from Dominant, Advocaat, McLeish, PLG, Walter’s second spell and he understands that sometimes it’s not your time and you’ve gotta keep the faith. I’ve no doubt he will never give up on Rangers.
And these are far from our “worst times”.

Watching Bilel Mohsni gift Cowdenbeath a goal on a freezing cold midweek at Ibrox then celebrating a late Darren McGregor rocket at the Copland end to put us back ahead like it was a cup final winner … I’m sure Haris Vuckic put some gloss on the score in the end that night.

That was a rare laugh.

I was ten when the Scum started their 9iar in the 60's so all my formative years were in the shadow of that. Yet here I am still going to every home game. It bred in me to savour every trophy win even when some where taking success for granted in the late 80's early 90's. Hopefully this generation will be likewise minded. Just hope it doesn't take too long or I will miss it.
I think the attraction of EPL teams now with the TV coverage is more of a concern as young people start to identify with the superstars that play down there.

It's basically a two team league now.Anything less than fifty percent of trophies over a period of time just isn't good enough.

I was ten when the Scum started their 9iar in the 60's so all my formative years were in the shadow of that. Yet here I am still going to every home game. It bred in me to savour every trophy win even when some where taking success for granted in the late 80's early 90's. Hopefully this generation will be likewise minded. Just hope it doesn't take too long or I will miss it.
I think the attraction of EPL teams now with the TV coverage is more of a concern as young people start to identify with the superstars that play down there.

I'm almost similar. Living through their 9 in a row back then was an endless horror show. Thank God, for that glorious day at Easter Road.

Same thing happened to those born in the late 50s/early 60s and then they had a second fun spell in the 80s. If you can't support us when we aren't very good, then you were never a real supporter.

This. I was born just at the beginning of their 9 in a row run, so had that in my formative years, followed by a period of success, then misery again from 79 - 86, when it wasn't just that lot, but Aberdeen and Dundee Utd pissing all over us. Our time will come again, hopefully starting this season, but without the feelings of despondency during the bad times, you don't get the feelings of euphoria during the good times. That's the life of a football supporter.

this is it.rangers supporters from the mid 60’s onwards had long spells of winning hee haw or the odd cup.78/79-86/87 were pretty much the same.what made it tough for bears in my home town in Forfar in the 80’s was we had loads of Aberdeen and Dundee Utd fans to contend with as well as the local yahoos.

There’s nothing else like following Rangers.
Exactly!

My son is 19, he's been going since he was 4, was at the LCF in 2011 and Kilmarnock that same season so caught the end of our last successful spell.

He like many others his age done their growing up on the terraces at the small grounds we had to go to on our way back up, he's made pals with guys from all over who stood down the front at places like Montrose and Morton, Benfica was his 9th European away game and he like many others had to make that journey back down the road after yesterday's debacle, him and the many others brought up during that period won't be lost to us in the future, he's alway telling me the good times are on their way back.

As I've said to him many times, its swings and roundabouts, as someone who first started going in 1980 my generation went through the same thing, as my dad had before me too.

This. I was born just at the beginning of their 9 in a row run, so had that in my formative years, followed by a period of success, then misery again from 79 - 86, when it wasn't just that lot, but Aberdeen and Dundee Utd pissing all over us. Our time will come again, hopefully starting this season, but without the feelings of despondency during the bad times, you don't get the feelings of euphoria during the good times. That's the life of a football supporter.
It’s mental when you think back to that period in the 80’s where finishing second was a pipe dream by Christmas,never mind winning a league title

Exactly!

My son is 19, he's been going since he was 4, was at the LCF in 2011 and Kilmarnock that same season so caught the end of our last successful spell.

He like many others his age done their growing up on the terraces at the small grounds we had to go to on our way back up, he's made pals with guys from all over who stood down the front at places like Montrose and Morton, Benfica was his 9th European away game and he like many others had to make that journey back down the road after yesterday's debacle, him and the many others brought up during that period won't be lost to us in the future, he's alway telling me the good times are on their way back.

As I've said to him many times, its swings and roundabouts, as someone who first started going in 1980 my generation went through the same thing, as my dad had before me too.
Absolutely. Great post. Bring them up the right way.

My boy is 16 and is a die hard Rangers fan, he's a wee bit pissed right now obviously, but he knows what it's all about, there will be many others like him, bring them up right, no issues.
My youngest is 18. He was raging yesterday and has had it with the old guard, however, his love and support for his club will never be in question,

Phoned me tonight, he’s optimistic for Wednesday & Sunday. His attitude is never surrender until mathematically impossible, I could learn something from him after the last 24 hours.

Our club is in safe hands with the younger generation.

I don't think the fans would ever chuck it, I'm as disappointed as anyone but which club outside a top 5 league last made a europa league final?

We are still in a better position than most clubs and have an opportunity to compete and grow that some clubs will never know.

Again, older supporters simply not reading the room and thinking they know better.

You can’t extrapolate your situation back then from when you were in your 20s to the current generation.

In the supposed barren spell of the 80s in which we still won several honours, we were up against Celtic teams with top players, an Aberdeen team who won several domestic honours and a European trophy no less, and a Dundee Utd team who competed domestically and got to a European final.

Our current young team are growing up witnessing us getting whipped by a Mhank team almost year in year out, who haven’t won a knockout tie in Europe for 20 years.

The situations are incomparable.

Last edited:
Back