Remember Allan McGregor, “We Were Rubbish”

Twosignals

55 after Hamilton the One, One game, the above quote, after yesterday and we’ll learn? why do players not just stand up and say what Allan Mc Gregor said! Yesterday wasn’t rubbish one word can sum it up it was, “Gutless”. So much ridding, playing against a possible relegation side, playing for their lives, did that shower expect the opposition to roll over like a dog getting its belly rubbed, disgrace.

McGregor was a winner. He was brought up on winning, he demanded winning, he had Rangers standards.

His character is badly missed. The day he left, whilst as a player he was over the hill, we simply haven't been able to replace that character.

We don't have winners in the dressing room.

McGregor was a winner. He was brought up on winning, he demanded winning, he had Rangers standards.

His character is badly missed. The day he left, whilst as a player he was over the hill, we simply haven't been able to replace that character.

Guys like McGregor and John Brown should be involved with Rangers, even if it's just to boot the arses of the players we have at the moment.

McGregor would have felt the same sickness in his stomach as we all did yesterday, the rest have just lost a game of football.
Folk mock the 'he gets it' chat but it is so important to have that right through every single Rangers building, from the CEO to the kitman to the ball boys

We should have kept arfield for this reason alone. He would have started the odd game plays 20 sub appearances and scores 10 goals.

What he brings to the dressing room absolutely worth every bit as on the pitch. Lost Davis too 3 massive characters with standards we demand

I only watched Tav's interview yesterday to see if he'd say something similar but alas no, it was the same tired old lip service.

I am McGregors biggest fan but he was involved in plenty games and collapses like yesterday. All of our legends have been.

It's how football works.
He was also involved in lifting a lot of big trophies. He knew what it took to get over the line in title races.

Not many of current team can say that.

You can't buy having that experience at this stage of the season.

I think it is a bit deluded to think these players don't call each other and performances out after shite games

Souttar shouted what the %^*& at Tav yesterday.

You only have to have played 5s or 7s at a shit level to know people get frustrated by each other.

I would expect by now Tav and Goldson are even sick of each other and their voices

Last edited:
He was also involved in lifting a lot of big trophies. He knew what it took to get over the line in title races.

Not many of current team can say that.

You can't buy having that experience at this stage of the season.

Obviously but the whole atgument of the OP is fundamentally flawed when McGregor himself played in teams that lost leads and lost things.

The reality is that it's not to do with people shouting at each other.

He was and what did it change?

We need better, more reliable footballers. Whether they shout or not won't make a blind bit of difference.
Listen mate, this thread is based on opinion, we've gave ours.
Let's leave it at that. Whether it's right or wrong, nothing will change anyway.

Reactions: MrJ
Doesn't appear to be working.
Brown or Rae who would you prefer?

Rangers are today delighted to appoint John Brown, Alex Rae and Allan McGregor as Chief Shouters.

Chief Executive James Bisgrove welcomed then to their new roles saying: "Even though terrible results happened when these guys were at the club as well, we feel that a combination of all 3 of them shouting at players will turn around our fortunes. We were content to have just Alex in the role but, since that's not working, we wanted to extend it to other folk who know what it's aw about."

Tune into RangersTV later for exclusive footage of their first day back which includes highlights of Brown screaming at European Finalist and invincible title winning captain James Tavernier that he isn't eating his Coco Pops correctly.

Rangers are today delighted to appoint John Brown, Alex Rae and Allan McGregor as Chief Shouters.

Chief Executive James Bisgrove welcomed then to their new roles saying: "Even though terrible results happened when these guys were at the club as well, we feel that a combination of all 3 of them shouting at players will turn around our fortunes. We were content to have just Alex in the role but, since that's not working, we wanted to extend it to other folk who know what it's aw about."

Tune into RangersTV later for exclusive footage of their first day back which includes highlights of Brown screaming at European Finalist and invincible title winning captain James Tavernier that he isn't eating his Coco Pops correctly.
Good post mate. I like that (not being sarky either).

55 after Hamilton the One, One game, the above quote, after yesterday and we’ll learn? why do players not just stand up and say what Allan Mc Gregor said! Yesterday wasn’t rubbish one word can sum it up it was, “Gutless”. So much ridding, playing against a possible relegation side, playing for their lives, did that shower expect the opposition to roll over like a dog getting its belly rubbed, disgrace.
When have you ever heard any of Tavs teammates say that the captain inspired/lifted them?
Gerrard often done it with Liverpool. All you hear at Ibrox is that the gaffer went through them at half time.

As big a reason as any that we won a league again under Gerrard.

Outwith his final season he was excellent for us.
He was not good the season before either and made mistakes for multiple goals (Ross county away 3-3 for example) being one. He was only his old self on the euro run but on the wider scale he should have retired after 55.

Pity in his last two seasons with us he was the biggest loser in the team.

He almost single handedly lost us the league in Ange's first season with the amount of howlers he had. At one time almost every shot on target resulted in a goal.

Then we had the last minute fumble against Hearts and again the one where he literally threw the ball into his own net away to Ross County in a 3-3 draw.

As big a reason as any that we won a league again under Gerrard.

Outwith his final season he was excellent for us.

Misty eyed pish. McLaughlin kept about 15 clean sheets that season as well. Our defence was rock solid with or without McGregor.

You want to talk about a 'winners mentality'? What about the story of McGregor being so pished in the days after we won the league that he was still rough as %^*& when we came to play Prague?

The "wee need a shouty guy" guys are the same ones who wanted a Rottweiler as our CEO.

Too many players thought it would be a piece of piss yesterday, after county took the lead the shitbag, losing mentality kicked in and they dont have the balls to fight back.
It's because we don't have a clue how to.we go behind and it's headless chicken stuff.

Been saving as much for a while.

I’m the last year we’ve lost Greegs, Arfield and Davis. Jack will be out the door shortly too.

You can’t underestimate how important these guys were in the dressing room.

Who comes in and offers that, I’ve no idea.

But the 3 musketeers certainly arent.

Sounds good but honestly you think that would work?
The game has moved on from this. Sir Alex wouldn’t be able to man manage like he did today for example. I’m not saying it’s for the better by the way, I’m just saying you wouldn’t get away with it now with some of the 20 something wet wipes that are playing the game.

Doesn't appear to be working.
Brown or Rae who would you prefer?
You don't know what's being said behind closed doors. Clement said that at half time in the mhanks game Rae was going mad. The problem is the players that are getting it know they won't be dropped so don't give a feck.

Something I’ve picked up on Buttland is he appears very quiet. Mcgreggor would have been screaming, absolutely apoplectic, at that defence for each of the goals we’ve conceded lately. There just looks to be a shrug of the shoulders, a shake of the head and put your hands up to say “not my fault mate”. Goldson has been off the boil for weeks, time for Buttland & Souttar to step up and show some leadership.

Something I’ve picked up on Buttland is he appears very quiet. Mcgreggor would have been screaming, absolutely apoplectic, at that defence for each of the goals we’ve conceded lately. There just looks to be a shrug of the shoulders, a shake of the head and put your hands up to say “not my fault mate”. Goldson has been off the boil for weeks, time for Buttland & Souttar to step up and show some leadership.

I'd rather Souttar concentrated on not looking like a dog chasing a crisp packet in the wind. Guy looks like that guy who is solid at 5s but then you put him on the bigger pitch and he's all over the shot. Been horrendous for us since the moment he got here sadly.

Typical response for on here though - lose a game "somebody needs to shout more".

Give it a day, someone will suggest the UB get a microphone and the players should stand and take a telling off from an angry fan.
I’d like to see players caring.

It’s one thing to lose. But when you don’t even bother trying?

I’d like to see players caring.

It’s one thing to lose. But when you don’t even bother trying?
What does "players caring" look like?

Let's say they do get upset by defeats, will you cut them slack if they're so upset they make an arse of the next game, then start to spiral? Cut them some slack cause they showed they care?

Or is it just another meaningless phrase to substitute for "I want them to win all the time"?

What does "players caring" look like?

Let's say they do get upset by defeats, will you cut them slack if they're so upset they make an arse of the next game, then start to spiral? Cut them some slack cause they showed they care?

Or is it just another meaningless phrase to substitute for "I want them to win all the time"?

Shouting louder = winners

Apparently.

Come to the realization (finally) that the Rangers I grew up watching in 80s/90s/00s is unlikely to ever come back.

Those Rangers sides had an abundance of winners, a true Scottish spine throughout the team that would never have accepted a performance like that yesterday.

I doubt we will ever get back to having those types of personalities in the dressing room.

So many have said it, but until we get a proper captain and leader in this team with a strong spine we will continue to be 2nd best in this country.

Come to the realization (finally) that the Rangers I grew up watching in 80s/90s/00s is unlikely to ever come back.

Those Rangers sides had an abundance of winners, a true Scottish spine throughout the team that would never have accepted a performance like that yesterday.

I doubt we will ever get back to having those types of personalities in the dressing room.

So many have said it, but until we get a proper captain and leader in this team with a strong spine we will continue to be 2nd best in this country.
We've always had games where we've been shite, regardless of who played for us.

I remember watching St Johnstone put 4 past us at their gaff in a team that contained exactly what you're describing - McGregor, Weir, Whittaker, Thomson, Davis, Boyd, Miller, McCulloch, Naismith - a true Scottish spine, plus Davis and Lafferty and wee Novo too. Absolutely humped.

We've always had games where we've been shite, regardless of who played for us.

I remember watching St Johnstone put 4 past us at their gaff in a team that contained exactly what you're describing - McGregor, Weir, Whittaker, Thomson, Davis, Boyd, Miller, McCulloch, Naismith - a true Scottish spine, plus Davis and Lafferty and wee Novo too. Absolutely humped.

It’s not just the performance and result, it’s the reaction to the bad performances and results.

I’m not expecting us to to win every game but every time the pressure is on, this team folds 9/10 times - and I have zero faith in its ability to get a result at the piggery.

We are a squad full of run of the mill English football league players who were required to win 1 in 3 to keep their supporters happy before they came here.

Back