Rangers to open talks with Lundstram

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don’t think he’s as bad as others do. He’s capable of playing really well - we’ve seen it - but he can’t seem to sustain the level of performance that we really need from him.

I think he slows us down terribly and it’s really frustrating to watch. We need a more dynamic player in that role, so I don’t think we should be renewing his contract and certainly not for megabucks.

I doubt Clement wants to keep him all things being equal but I suspect he may be forced to accept keeping him because no things are equal at Rangers.

Whatamess.

There are many players I would punt b4 Lundstram . However his contact is at an end and we need to reduce the wage bill & build a more dynamic team, but that is easier said than done. He gave the ball away on Sunday a couple of times but overall I thot he played well and controlled the midfield.

Hopefully not, we need younger, athletic, hunt everything down types. I don’t claim to know any of the players but we could pay for 3 weekly wages for most of the top 25 in Czech league with what we are spending on Lundstram (looked like anyway, might be wrong). We need to find these gems that get picked up in Eastern Europe and then move on to bigger teams.

I could see a world where we offer him a 12 month extension (on reduced terms) because, as much as we want to, we can't get rid of everyone from the squad and replace them in one window which is also in a Euros year.
That’s the problem
We can’t try and build a whole new team in one window

First half especially yesterday, he was absolutely atrocious. Just another reason for not renewing.

Diomande had to cover all his errors and dig him out time after time.

Release. A complete waste of resources renewing him
Totally agree, horrendous first half. Improved slightly in the second half but still needed Diomande to bail him out.

If we renew his contract we will be in for more failure.

Lundstram is a very good player but he just cannot be relied on.

Experienced players cost a premium because they're supposed to be more emotionally stable, less prone to crises of confidence and, as a result, more consistent.

He's far too expensive for what he is.

He is at the center of every prospective attack/counter turning into an insipid defensive move. He angers me when he has possession. I have never seen a midfielder taking possession of the ball in the middle of the park with no one anywhere near him stop, turn back and pass the ball to the CD's as much as he does.

I can't imagine how disheartening it must be to be a good footballer making great forward runs, breaking lines, to watch the heart of your midfield stop, turn 180, and pass the balls back to the CD to watch the CD lump it aimlessly over everyone either out of play, or directly into the opposite GK's hands.
100% correct and his ability to make recovery runs makes him look like he’s pulling a horse and cart. If he remains and is central to what the manager wants to do then we’ll be in exactly the same position next season as we are now watching him and the other bottlers letting the supporters down.

The young and dynamic player posters are seeking for is Raskin. Really like him and think a preseason will see him come good next year. Would also like to see the promotion of an U-21 player or two, Rice & McKinnon. Bit of a cliché now but want to see Academy players making the breakthrough.

I like Lundstram but probably for all the wrong reasons. He's no a player designed for a team who should be dominating most games. I'm a bit alarmed that Phil wants to keep him
But does he? Want to keep him? We’re at the important end of the season and like Lundstram or not, we need all of our players as committed and as motivated as possible. Telling them they’re not wanted seems to me to be a dangerous, and silly, strategy. Help us win the league, maybe, lose the league then deffo not. Lost count of the number of negotiations that break down late because they can’t agree the financials.

Did I just see someone try credit him for the first goal? He played a shite pass the their defender made a lady's front bottom of, it wasn't some lazer of a lofted through ball. Tav and Dessers done the work for that goal.

JL goes through purple patches every so often. I have always said If he goes or stays I would not mind. I just don't want us getting into a situation with Lundstram, where Goldson is at the moment. Big wages but players legs and performances are starting to go down that slope!

The young and dynamic player posters are seeking for is Raskin. Really like him and think a preseason will see him come good next year. Would also like to see the promotion of an U-21 player or two, Rice & McKinnon. Bit of a cliché now but want to see Academy players making the breakthrough.

That's not Tero Penttila mate...

I remember watching his first game for us, in a friendly.
Tranmere, Blackpool?
Whatever.pre season. An away game.And I thought "Oh no".
There goes the high press!
Now we had just won #55, and the majority of those game playing high press.
Blew teams away, most games.

Anyway long story short.
We over pre season, start implementing. a style of 'low block.Less energy'. (Beale's words)
I believe that change in style, was implemented to suit players like Lundstram.Who was brought in to slow play down.
'The European way'. No high press.Just hold on to the ball.
I also think that is where Borna learn't the passing the ball back all the time.Hang onto the ball. Especially if your midfielders are not open to a pass.Keep possession.As long as you can.Where the philosophy is 'If the opposition don't have the ball they can't hurt you!"
Because before under Gerrard he was rampaging up and down the line with Kent, and crossing balls in left, right and centre! Especially #55 season.
Also Borna used to take a great corner, before Tavernier comandeered ever free kick and corner!

Anyway when we come up against teams who play high press, and move the ball around quickly, Lundstram in particular can't cope. I have never.Once, seen him dominate an old firm game.
Their midfielders are running rings around him.Consistently.

If we are to to win the league back, we need to match their midfield. With younger, fitter, and goalscorers in our side.
He doesn't fit any of these categories for me.
A journeyman who seems to have attained at one time hero status among the support, bafflingly, because of a few good games in Europe.
Sorry. We need much better.

This feels like a mistake. His best years are most likely behind him, he's on a high wage and opponents are very familiar with his style.

He has done well for us in periods but I feel we should be looking at a more dynamic midfield.

Did you watch it, where he tracked back immediately after that?
He had a 30 yard head start on Forrest, but because he switched off after his mistake, Forrest actually got to the byline before him.

Correcting your own very avoidable mistake isn’t something to be praised.

We can definitely do better than Lundstram, but it’s obvious Clement sees him as an important part of the dressing room - especially when you consider what midfielders will be left.

I imagine the club and Clement are waiting on Lundstram not receiving many impressive alternatives and hoping he re-signs for a Jack level wage because he’s settled and wants to be part of it.

He had a 30 yard head start on Forrest, but because he switched off after his mistake, Forrest actually got to the byline before him.

Correcting your own very avoidable mistake isn’t something to be praised.
Well done acknowledging that he corrected his mistake. As for your opening point, Lundstram is facing one way, and the Hearts player the other?

Well done acknowledging that he corrected his mistake. As for your opening point, Lundstram is facing one way, and the Hearts player the other?
Lundstram was barely outside the 18 yard box. Under no circumstances should Forrest be beating him to the by line, facing the wrong way or otherwise.

It happened because Lundstram did was he always does when he makes a mistake; switches off in a “aw naw” moment, he then realises he has to fix it and has to sprint. By the time it took him to come back into the room, Forrest was already on top of him.

There are so many instances of Lundstram switching off or being in the wrong position and having to sprint to get anywhere near the player who has no right passing him.

Lundstram was barely outside the 18 yard box. Under no circumstances should Forrest be beating him to the by line, facing the wrong way or otherwise.

It happened because Lundstram did was he always does when he makes a mistake; switches off in a “aw naw” moment, he then realises he has to fix it and has to sprint. By the time it took him to come back into the room, Forrest was already on top of him.

There are so many instances of Lundstram switching off or being in the wrong position and having to sprint to get anywhere near the player who has no right passing him.
30 yards, yeah? I don't think so. Plus, Lundstram has to anticipate which direction the Hearts player is going, and quickly reads that. If you say Lundstram is on so many instances in the wrong position, you will no doubt have examples of this.

30 yards, yeah? I don't think so. Plus, Lundstram has to anticipate which direction the Hearts player is going, and quickly reads that. If you say Lundstram is on so many instances in the wrong position, you will no doubt have examples of this.

Z5ZDeqS.png
kW0tRkj.png

Not quite 30 yards, my mistake. I thought Forrest was closer to the half way line when it happened. In the first picture the pass has already been made and bounced off Forrest, so Lundstram should have been well aware of the danger.

Forrest has covered a third of the pitch in the time it’s taken Lundstram to wake up and track back less than 18 yards.

On what planet should Lundstram be congratulated for blocking the shot from Forrest, given he picked up the ball 40+ yards from goal?

According to JL Dad who I spoke too he’s been offered a 2 year deal on less money and he said he’s not signing it that he will be off as it stands.
If he doesnt accept it then see you later John, Take the step down.

IMO I wouldn't be too worried If he did sign on, On lower wages and a squad player would suit us as we can't and we wont make wholesale first-team changes

Z5ZDeqS.png
kW0tRkj.png

Not quite 30 yards, my mistake. I thought Forrest was closer to the half way line when it happened. In the first picture the pass has already been made and bounced off Forrest, so Lundstram should have been well aware of the danger.

Forrest has covered a third of the pitch in the time it’s taken Lundstram to wake up and track back less than 18 yards.

On what planet should Lundstram be congratulated for blocking the shot from Forrest, given he picked up the ball 40+ yards from goal?
But he didn't just block the shot. We have least established that it wasn't 30 yard race, bearing in mind that the Commonwealth Games was 10 years ago perhaps it still lives fresh in the memory- Lundstram anticipates that the Hearts player could go inside or out and tracks him back. As for Lundstram should have been aware of the danger, well that is what he obviously was, having done he subsequently did.

If he doesnt accept it then see you later John, Take the step down.

IMO I wouldn't be too worried If he did sign on, On lower wages and a squad player would suit us as we can't and we wont make wholesale first-team changes
How much lower wages are acceptable though? Another two years of Lundstram would be soul destroying and guaranteed failure.

How much lower wages are acceptable though? Another two years of Lundstram would be soul destroying and guaranteed failure.
Depends on how much JL is willing to go and what other offers he has on the table.

I don't think anything is guaranteed, Depends on who we get into the midfield next season.

But he didn't just block the shot. We have least established that it wasn't 30 yard race, bearing in mind that the Commonwealth Games was 10 years ago perhaps it still lives fresh in the memory- Lundstram anticipates that the Hearts player could go inside or out and tracks him back. As for Lundstram should have been aware of the danger, well that is what he obviously was, having done he subsequently did.

I thought sjb blocked it tbh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back