Sports direct not going away!

I never know what’s going on in this thread, is Ashley trying to gazzump the deal?

Or does he think he should be able to a stranglehold is into a deal full of unbelievable terms where he ultimately gets the chance to screw us again?

I almost cannot bear reading much more of this thread. It just enrages me more and more having to think about what that parasitic b'stard has done to our great club in the past and somehow continues to cause us so much grief. He must know by now SD is toxic to our support. We simply will not set foot in his skanky shops. Hateful excuse of a man. May death visit his door ASAP.

I hope that BB81 and Brownbrogues are right where they said that they think that the judge is minded to set aside the contract.

If he does, will that bastard have to pay our legal fees and give us compensation for loss of income and for not getting allowing fans to get their strips on time?

I almost cannot bear reading much more of this thread. It just enrages me more and more having to think about what that parasitic b'stard has done to our great club in the past and somehow continues to cause us so much grief. He must know by now SD is toxic to our support. We simply will not set foot in his skanky shops. Hateful excuse of a man. May death visit his door ASAP.
And the rats that invited him in..

Amen brother, I’m a keen runner, but would rather go out in a toga than buy gear out of his gypsy bazaars. We need to get together like never before and make his brand as toxic as possible. The Gerrard factor can extend this South of the border - if the Scousers stop buying his trackies he’s in trouble! I’d suggest Club1872, as the supporters voice, needs to make the next move. Let’s turn his poxy company into the next Ratners.

Well no one will be wearing the new top then,as if they win,SD run the megastore and website..........unless you can purchase direct from Hummel?
You have to ask yourself do you love Rangers more than you hate SD?
It's getting to be a close call with me

I cannot tell you what the club will get per shirt, I doubt anyone can. However this article from 2016 might give a bit of a clue.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/replica-football-shirts-rip-fans-7455562

A Premier League club shirt sells at an average £49.45 but costs less than £5 to produce - with clubs only making £3 per top

Millions of fans snap up the latest kit before each season. Many believe they are supporting their clubs.

But research by sports merchandising expert Peter Rohlmann shows that once manufacturers, shops and the Government have taken their share, the club is left with £3.

Retailer £18.13 (37%)
Sportswear firm £12.76 (26%)
VAT £8.24 (17%)
Manufacturing and shipping £4.79 (10%)
Club licensing fee £2.97 (6%)
Marketing £1.39 (3%)
Distribution £1.17 (2%)
Total retail price £49.45

If that’s correct it means the going rate for clubs is about 6p in the pound from shirt sales...:eek:

I won't pretend to understand much of the legal talk but the way I read it is at worst we will be stuck with SD but on the same terms as JD were offering, as much as I hate the fat bassa and hope he chokes to death on his next pie I can't see how boycotting the sale of new kit will benifit the club in any way, I don't want to line Ashley's pocket but at the same time I don't want to deny the club much needed income.

If it goes the fat bastards way then someone else will need to buy it for me with their own cash.

Last edited:
If that’s correct it means the going rate for clubs is about 6p in the pound from shirt sales...:eek:

I take it to mean that's just the licencing part, the club would also surely want part of the retailing income, which is the largest individual cut. Would that not be why a club was looking for a "retail partner".

I won't pretend to understand much of the legal talk but the way I read it is at worst we will be stuck with SD but on the same terms as JD were offering, as much as I hate the fat bassa and hope he chokes to death on his next pie I can't see how boycotting the sale of new kit will benifit the club in any way, I don't want to line Ashley's pocket but at the same time I don't want to deny the club much needed income.
Or buy direct from Hummel. They'd get the retail % rather than Cashley? Not ideal for RFC, but maintains my SD boycott.

Well no one will be wearing the new top then,as if they win,SD run the megastore and website..........unless you can purchase direct from Hummel?
You have to ask yourself do you love Rangers more than you hate SD?

I know I do but do others?. The Turkey fakes will be everywhere if SD win out or if the Hummel direct buy is ok that will be our saving grace

Or buy direct from Hummel. They'd get the retail % rather than Cashley? Not ideal for RFC, but maintains my SD boycott.

I honestly can’t see Hummel being able to direct sell our kit without SD getting their %. What would be the point of these exclusive retail deals if they weren’t exclusive?

I could be wrong but I just think it’s fantasy.

Retail is an exclusive contract. You can't buy off Hummel. If you could we'd all be buying merch off them now. Hummel will manufacture our merch and supply it to the retail partner so it can be sold to supporters.

I honestly can’t see Hummel being able to direct sell our kit without SD getting their %. What would be the point of these exclusive retail deals if they weren’t exclusive?

I could be wrong but I just think it’s fantasy.

I have to say I tend to agree with that. Why would a retail deal be set up if people can buy directly from the manufacturer / sponsor. I would imagine they are set up for wholesale arrangements, not retail.

I would have thought any retail deal would include exclusivity.

Retail is an exclusive contract. You can't buy off Hummel. If you could we'd all be buying merch off them now. Hummel will manufacture our merch and supply it to the retail partner so it can be sold to supporters.
Common courtesy requires that I thank you for this, mart22. But frankly, it's a scunner...

I take it to mean that's just the licencing part, the club would also surely want part of the retailing income, which is the largest individual cut. Would that not be why a club was looking for a "retail partner".

I guess that’s right, but the implication seems to be that most EPL teams don’t get anything from the retailing income.

I’ve no idea if what’s in the article is correct, but if so I’m surprised how low their share of the shirt sales is, to be honest.

I guess that’s right, but the implication seems to be that most EPL teams don’t get anything from the retailing income.

I’ve no idea if what’s in the article is correct, but if so I’m surprised how low their share of the shirt sales is, to be honest.

It could be that the author is playing with the numbers for sensationalism and everyone actually gets a cut of the retailing nowadays.

One of those, strictly speaking its accurate but it doesn't tell the real story sort of thing.

That is really surprising to read, at first, but then thinking about it, who will buy Burnley, Bournemouth, Southampton, Crystal Palace, and the like's kits in any significant volume? These clubs don't have a merch hungry support like we do. However, Man Utd, Liverpool, and Newcastle kits are big sellers, 2 of these 3 clubs will do very well out of their merch sales.

Outflank the fat thief by having Hummel pay us a large sum to manufacture reducing the profit margin so he gets a percentage of very little, we then agree a fee in some other form which gets round the fraudulent contractual clauses

If SD win and retain retail rights, what do those calling for another boycott think that would do for the club's chances of competing with mentally challengeds next few years?

The initial boycott made sense as the deal was strangling us, I was fully behind it and bought nothing from SD as I believed it would ultimately help the club. When the deal was 'normalised, after the 3mil payoff and the end of the 7yr termination period along with us receiving proper percentages from the profits and King gave us go ahead to buy, I bought strips, tops and training gear from online store (still havent set foot in a SD store) for several members of my family.

I believe that the sales spike after the end of that boycott would have then aided us in looking for new kit suppliers and potential retail partners 'look at these figures showing what our supporters will do when deal benefits club'

I believe that sales projections for these new strips have aided in having the money available to bring in Gerrard, his backroom team and the new players.

I believe any new boycott of SD, if they retain rights, will not help but rather harm the club this time, both now and in future. We won't bring in the money we expect this season for a start, we will likely have to sell players rather than strengthen In future windows. When we look to a new deal in future with kit suppliers and retail partners they will see low sales numbers on a deal that would have financially benefited the club and be less likely to want to partner with us. We could then be stuck with SD for many years to come.

I ccompletely understand the emotive immediate response of not giving him f.uck all, I feel it too but ... Two questions:

Do you hate Ashley more than you love Rangers?

Do you hate celtic more than you hate Ashley?

Because a boycott of a 'normalised' retail contract will only hurt us, help celtic and barely register to Ashley.

By god, I swear I wish to see the back of that despicable c.unt ... BUT, even if he wins out this time. I WILL be purchasing the new strips as I want my club to overcome those dirty 19th Century Terrorist rats and take our rightful place back at the top of the table. If we boycott? I see nothing but 8,9,10 and beyond for them ...

If SD win and retain retail rights, what do those calling for another boycott think that would do for the club's chances of competing with mentally challengeds next few years?

The initial boycott made sense as the deal was strangling us, I was fully behind it and bought nothing from SD as I believed it would ultimately help the club. When the deal was 'normalised, after the 3mil payoff and the end of the 7yr termination period along with us receiving proper percentages from the profits and King gave us go ahead to buy, I bought strips, tops and training gear from online store (still havent set foot in a SD store) for several members of my family.

I believe that the sales spike after the end of that boycott would have then aided us in looking for new kit suppliers and potential retail partners 'look at these figures showing what our supporters will do when deal benefits club'

I believe that sales projections for these new strips have aided in having the money available to bring in Gerrard, his backroom team and the new players.

I believe any new boycott of SD, if they retain rights, will not help but rather harm the club this time, both now and in future. We won't bring in the money we expect this season for a start, we will likely have to sell players rather than strengthen In future windows. When we look to a new deal in future with kit suppliers and retail partners they will see low sales numbers on a deal that would have financially benefited the club and be less likely to want to partner with us. We could then be stuck with SD for many years to come.

I ccompletely understand the emotive immediate response of not giving him f.uck all, I feel it too but ... Two questions:

Because a boycott of a 'normalised' retail contract will only hurt us, help celtic and barely register to Ashley.

By god, I swear I wish to see the back of that despicable c.unt ... BUT, even if he wins out this time. I WILL be purchasing the new strips as I want my club to overcome those dirty 19th Century Terrorist rats and take our rightful place back at the top of the table. If we boycott? I see nothing but 8,9,10 and beyond for them ...
Very well put post mate totally agree a boycott this time around will only deny the club funds as much as it pains me if SD win the court case and providing the club get their fair share I will be purchasing the kits for myself and the wee fella

Under the revised agreement signed last year is appears should Rangers be offered terms by another provider, Sport Direct have the right to match what is on offer by said new provider before Rangers proceed with the new provider. It appears Sport Direct want to know what is being offered and the chance to match the terms before Rangers proceed with a new provider.

If that is the case then, It's the same deal for Rangers whether it's from the new provider or Sports Direct. It appears it is also up for debate as to what level of matching is required.

apologies for not reading all the pages.
if sd get to bid what jd have, then sd if they wish, can still be our retailer.
apart from the owner of sd, then we will be a lot better off than before even if its sd retailing,
as they are matching jd.

Summary for those not wanting to read it all.

When Rangers signed the new deal last year SD had first option to match what any new provider would offer as retail partner. Rangers were required to notify SD XYZ within 5 days of receiving an offer from a new provider it intended to go with. Rangers did but SD argue it was not compliant, Rangers argue it was. Rangers were about to commence the new agreement with the new supplier from 01/08/2018 but SD have now raised a court action to stop the new deal to have their argument heard that the notice Rangers provided was not compliant and therefore SD should be made privy to more information to consider matching the offer and taking up option. Case to be heard on the 10th of July.

the judge will see the jd offer broken down,
he will see what info we gave sd,
then he will rule,
if we indeed gave sd the correct info, then we are ok,
if there are differences though, the judge will rule in sd's favour and they can match the deal and continue as retailer.
hummel aren't involved really
we make same money whether its sd or jd.

I think a statement from
Very well put post mate totally agree a boycott this time around will only deny the club funds as much as it pains me if SD win the court case and providing the club get their fair share I will be purchasing the kits for myself and the wee fella
it is a high risk strategy, but a boycott statement from our fan groups may just sway the judge from a common sense point of view to potentially ending the SD contract, albeit with a maximum £1m penalty.

I think a statement from

it is a high risk strategy, but a boycott statement from our fan groups may just sway the judge from a common sense point of view to potentially ending the SD contract, albeit with a maximum £1m penalty.
I think its just a case of wait and see mate still of the opinion that a boycott this time around would hurt us more than them.

Where did you buy the training gear ? It wasn't on sale anywhere.
I cannot tell you what the club will get per shirt, I doubt anyone can. However this article from 2016 might give a bit of a clue.

https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football/news/replica-football-shirts-rip-fans-7455562

A Premier League club shirt sells at an average £49.45 but costs less than £5 to produce - with clubs only making £3 per top

Millions of fans snap up the latest kit before each season. Many believe they are supporting their clubs.

But research by sports merchandising expert Peter Rohlmann shows that once manufacturers, shops and the Government have taken their share, the club is left with £3.

Retailer £18.13 (37%)
VAT £8.24 (17%)
Marketing £1.39 (3%)
Distribution £1.17 (2%)
If a shirt costs £5 to produce,that's including the material,thread,embroidery and some poor bastard sitting making it for 40p per hour which is a disgrace.

C1872 should announce another boycott if we have to deal with SD immediately, and the Rangers brief could put it to the judge that any deal involving SD will lead to a loss of earnings compared to us using JD or another less toxic company.

Will this be of concern to the judge though? His job, surely, will be to ascertain if the contract we have with SD is being breached and if so dealing with that.

How much we make from SD vs JD wouldn’t be of any concern to the judge I would imagine.

Retailer £18.13 (37%)
VAT £8.24 (17%)
Marketing £1.39 (3%)
Distribution £1.17 (2%)

Except that if you are buying the shirt from the club, then the club is also making the retailer's profit. Or a % of it if the club is partnered with an official retailer. So that slice of the pie should have been worth £18. And in this example SD would be keeping £17 and giving us £1.08 (presumably we were still getting the licensing fee from Puma as a separate but that was a bit murky as well.

If (IF} we've gave Ashley the option to match any deal or part of any deal, It must have been a viable option for us at the time in order to break the rediculous chain.

I assume the only difference to Rangers is if we would turn more strips with a JD distribution model Vs a SD (jumble salesale).

What's the club shop situation? Is this and would this be an Ashley enterprise going forward if we have to resign/ continue with him?

Prior to this latest screwing from Ashley, a fellow poster and i were discussing purchasing the new strip and what percentage the club got for each sale, and also whether we were either to old to be sporting the latest merchandise.
So the thought turned to should we just donate the amount of what we would purchase direct to the club , ensuring full percentage ?
If the decision could be holding your nose while purchasing merchandise from SD, or a direct donation to the club i know what i would rather.

Back