Match Thread FK Shkupi v Rangers - 16:55 Tuesday 17th - Premier Sports/RangersTV.tv

It’s good to get the job Domenic and get into the next round but greater performances will be required as we come up against stronger opposition. We are a few quality additions short.

Never looked like losing it .Not pretty on the eye but we are looking solid at the back . There is still a long way to go before the transfer window is closed. Obviously we need more strength up front but the management will know that. We still have to get match fit . I don't think we will be that far away this season.

The one big positive to come from the 2 games is having trust in a decent goalkeeper at long last.

A painful watch but it was all about achieving the correct result which we did with ease.

Need a goalscorer as Morelos will never do

Our passing was embarrassingly bad. Off the ball movement non-existent. Created very little. McGregor was the busier keeper and being honest we could/should have lost that game. McGregor saved our arse at the end.
What absolute nonsense!
We were occasionally poor in the final third but our overall performance was fine...regardless of the impression you might get from the match thread!
There's plenty of room for improvement and that will come over time but to even suggest we were in any danger of losing this tie is absurd!

That was a weird game. I think the lads went out there with the mindset to defend against a team that had to press us and get a result. When the Schkupi players looked like they were only out for a fitness session, they thought to themselves we might as well use it get some fitness up as well.

Our defence looks much better, and the midfield and attack look exactly the same, which is not a surprise considering.

Morelos and Windass were very poor. Morelos is a professional football player who can't head a ball, and his much-lauded hold-up play sees him get the ball and then give it away.

Windass's most standout contribution was his petulance. There's no room for the two of them in the same team and that's me being charitable.
I don’t know Gerrard’s plans but we are desperate for a creative midfielder, Davis would fit the bill, all this we need younger, fresher players is all well and good if they can actually make a difference, we need someone to pick a pass and control the flow of the game, he would be naive not to see that.

Confident of going through. We are much more solid at the back and that type of game is ideal for Ryan Jack. He won't be a great asset at home v good opposition, but ideal for defensive work away, allowing Tav to bomb forward.
I expect Coulibally to replace Candeias,Sadiq to replace Windass for next home game.

Said I would be happy with anything that got us through and that's what we got.

We have a couple more in for the next game and I'm sure we are looking at other quality targets for midfield and attack. Just need to hope they slot in seamlessly and the system feels balanced (as it certainly was not today)

Our passing was embarrassingly bad. Off the ball movement non-existent. Created very little. McGregor was the busier keeper and being honest we could/should have lost that game. McGregor saved our arse at the end.

To an extent I agree regarding sloppy passing, whilst under no pressure.
However McGregor had little to do, only one save of concern.
Always in control, it would have been a shock if we lost that game.

Professional performance over the 2 legs. Much more solid. Plenty of work to do to get tram gelled but fantastic to be in next round.

What absolute nonsense!
We were occasionally poor in the final third but our overall performance was fine...regardless of the impression you might get from the match thread!
There's plenty of room for improvement and that will come over time but to even suggest we were in any danger of losing this tie is absurd!

I didn't say we were in danger our losing the tie but make no mistake we were in danger of losing the game. When the opposition striker is one on one with our keeper in the 90th minute ,we are very much in danger of losing the game. It was brilliant goalkeeping that prevented an embarrassing defeat.

We were disappointing, too many misplaced passes, lack of movement, anticipation, creativity and bad decision making. But, the caveat is that if I can see this then Mr Gerrard will have seen more than me, he certainly knows more and he absolutely knows how to improve things. "Let's Go!" was always about hard work, we've hardly started but I've no doubt we're on the right road. After all, we've made the second qualifier this time :D

Not great, job done and no more. Could end up with a lot of draws next season if we don't sort it out upfront. Positive, Defence didn't get into and comedy moments

I didn't say we were in danger our losing the tie but make no mistake we were in danger of losing the game. When the opposition striker is one on one with our keeper in the 90th minute ,we are very much in danger of losing the game. It was brilliant goalkeeping that prevented an embarrassing defeat.

Would like to see a replay but the player may have been offside, the goalkeeper is there for a reason, to make saves. Their goalkeeper made saves from Windass, Tav and got lucky with defenders block from Murphy.
By your reasons, they could have lost the game 1-3.

Would like to see a replay but the player may have been offside, the goalkeeper is there for a reason, to make saves. Their goalkeeper made saves from Windass, Tav and got lucky with defenders block from Murphy.
By your reasons, they could have lost the game 1-3.

I don't recall us creating too many clear cut chances. Windass had a couple of efforts at range. Their keeper had very little to do. FK Shkupi had the best chance of the game and had they been any good would have buried it.

Different circumstances but Rodgers took the majority of Deilas crap, added a couple of players, lost to Red Imps then has gone 2 domestic seasons unbeaten. I'm sure someone said that 9 of Deilas signings started the last game we played them.

So you never know, we might be on the verge of dominating. :D
Optimism , love it!

Some of our players were too quick to get rid of the ball and a lot of poor passing throughout the match, I think it was down to nerves getting the better of them at times from the fear of making a mistake.

Glad we’re through
An that’s a positive,that’s game was more like a training exercise
Thought there was a lack of quality at the Basix
Players struggling to pass to feet or even control the ball
Been hoping Murphy could play a central roll ,he seemed to struggle
An looked really slow covering the ground

Morelos I thought worked the line brilliant link up play was good aswell

Windass was frustrating

Murphy sitter first half an Middleton second
They go out in an you feel a lot better

Not a great performance, but we're through to the next round and have another 90 minutes under our belts. Hopefully the squad is enhanced a little and a bit sharper for the next run of games.

After reading through the thread, I've not missed much through work. At least we're through, onwards and upwards

It's important we got through but there's lots of work to do on this squad we're very short of quality in attacking areas of the team.

With a new manager and team we have not lost a goal and are through to the next round in Europe. I dont know what else we can expect.
I reckon we will need six more games to find our best team and if we get results when playing them all good

At least SG is saying it like it is. No point in being diplomatic and sugar coating things.

Set standards high; don't deviate; continue to demand the best.

Do something about it if it isn't being delivered. Same in any profession...

Glad we’re through
An that’s a positive,that’s game was more like a training exercise
Thought there was a lack of quality at the Basix
Players struggling to pass to feet or even control the ball
Been hoping Murphy could play a central roll ,he seemed to struggle
An looked really slow covering the ground

Morelos I thought worked the line brilliant link up play was good aswell

Windass was frustrating

Murphy sitter first half an Middleton second
They go out in an you feel a lot better

I thought that was Morelos worst 90 mins for us to be honest. He put in some shift but absolutely nothing was happening for him. I think he needs a goal and quick because he's looking more and more frustrated as time passes and his confidence could do with a boost ASAP.

I don’t know Gerrard’s plans but we are desperate for a creative midfielder, Davis would fit the bill, all this we need younger, fresher players is all well and good if they can actually make a difference, we need someone to pick a pass and control the flow of the game, he would be naive not to see that.
Agreed. We need a balance of older more experienced players and young up and coming and as you say Davis definitely fits the bill for what we need right now.

The one big positive to come from the 2 games is having trust in a decent goalkeeper at long last.

A painful watch but it was all about achieving the correct result which we did with ease.

Need a goalscorer as Morelos will never do

Agreed complete passenger and not clinical. Why didn’t we take the cash on offer?

I thought that was Morelos worst 90 mins for us to be honest. He put in some shift but absolutely nothing was happening for him. I think he needs a goal and quick because he's looking more and more frustrated as time passes and his confidence could do with a boost ASAP.

I might be wrong but I can’t remember Morelos having a clear chance
He put it on a plate for Murphy in the first half

For me
He really does need to score some goals
When we’re struggling it’s easy to be negative

Stevie g also passed comments about the quality
So we all know

Folk are saying it was decent defensive display but I don't really think it was. There were long spells in the first half where they passed through us for fun, at times it seemed as if their players were always in acres of space. Their deficiency up front was the biggest factor in our clean sheet.

We're in the next round after a pretty dour performance. We need to improve if we want to go much further in the competition.

We were disappointing, too many misplaced passes, lack of movement, anticipation, creativity and bad decision making. But, the caveat is that if I can see this then Mr Gerrard will have seen more than me, he certainly knows more and he absolutely knows how to improve things. "Let's Go!" was always about hard work, we've hardly started but I've no doubt we're on the right road. After all, we've made the second qualifier this time :D
Yeah, bad decision making, how about Stevie playing windarse, candlestick and Morelarse again!!!! talk about bad decisions!!!

Didn't see the match as I was working but I'm going to look at the postives, another clean sheet and through to the next round. Happy enough with that at the moment

Yeah, bad decision making, how about Stevie playing windarse, candlestick and Morelarse again!!!! talk about bad decisions!!!
You've found an angle, congratulations. Our manager watched the same game as you and me, he knows our shortcomings and I have confidence he'll draw the obvious conclusions. As much as I'm disappointed about the performance we've negotiated a slippery hurdle, let's try and be positive. It's all about RANGERS after all!

See at the end of the day.

We could have gotten away with a 1-0 defeat and still got through.

We did it, and we are through. Disappointed not to score but happy defensively.

Back