Match Thread NK Maribor v Rangers - 19:15 Thursday - Premier Sports

We need to be much better in possession, we have good players but I think we are playing within ourselves.

Maribor have had chances but nothing we can’t handle, I expected a bit more from them.

They look good but still sloppy at times, we can take advantage.

Some poor decision making from Morelos in front of goal, some slack passing in the midfield and a few times they've got in behind. But we look like we can see this out. The yellows are a worry but I'm confident for the second half.

Expect we come out guns blazing for 10 minutes or so as we've done recently, hopefully grab a goal and kill this.

Nearly there lads.
Exactly, we need to
DeafeningUniqueAdmiralbutterfly-max-1mb.gif

I cant understand folk calling this poor. It is as professional a performance as we have seen from a Rangers side in many, many years. This mob are absolutely no mugs at all and we are containing them well, restricting them to shots from distance and asking the odd question ourselves. We might want more of the ball but we need to realise what is at stake here, and realise that 45 minutes exactly the same as that one is a perfect result for us.

The more they push forwards, and they will because they have to, the more we will have space for our front three, who by the way are all working fucking hard.

Perhaps not the most aesthetically pleasing match but we are doing very well given the players we are missing and the opposition.

Some of the comments in here are outrageous.. here we are playing a well organised champions league level team and people are moaning about our possession...
They can have all the possession they want but they need to score.. As for the people in here who slag haliday on a daily basis.. the lads doing a good job.. .. this game was never going to be a walk in the park...only thing im disapointed in is the bookings we have..

Not good for the old ticker but i'll take it. Hopefully we can be a bit better in possesion second half. Lets go!

Bloody hell, that was horrible.

Mind we are looking solid now which is something we haven’t been for years.

Sometimes this sort of football shows what we are made of and the signs look good.

Morelos hold the ball up
Son! Ohh and stop shooting with your eyes shut .

if I was Gerrard, I'd spend this 15 minutes with my arm around Alfredo's shoulders reminding him that he doesn't need to score 2 or 3 tonight. Keep the ball unless the chance presents itself. He's huffing and puffing when the ball isn't reaching him and getting drawn into niggly arguments with their centre halves as if he feels they're getting the better of him. Heed down, back in and make them work for it.

I
I logged on expecting to see negativity. You boys didn’t disappoint.

If you want to whine about anything, why is it defending? We’ve looked very solid

The disappointment is we clearly aren’t going to score.

We’ll go through 0-0 or via a 1-0 loss....or if we’re really poor in the 2nd half, we will concede 2
If we concede 2 then we are out. We ideally need a goal.

Merlot by the bucket makes this easier..Happy with O-O but not the performace of the ref... still we expected as much and the same score at FT will do for me...

Good game management!! Defending the lead from the first leg.

Would like to push a wee bit more on the break.

Yellow cards a little bit of a worry does Gerrard change it at 0-0 with what we have in the bench???

I like Halliday and he's a better player than me, but it's clear that he is not Flanagan!

He's done well so far but he's made a few "fixable" mistakes.

Thank F*** for that. I take it none of the moaners and complainers have ever been to a European game because it sure reads like that. We have a two goal advantage and can afford to lose one. Our midfield is missing Coulabaly who has been our most effective guy recently. Jack is back after a head injury and we don't know how serious that was. Halliday is doing well at left back but needs someone to help him out.I assume Murphy isn't playing but someone like Middleton should be on ASAP.

I think I would bring in Ross for Ryan or Ejaria just because of the yellow card.
Danny C is playing too well.
Great decision of the boss to put Danny in the middle of midfield to break things up.

McCrorie was warming up as the HT whistle blew so I think he will come on and sit with Jack and push Arfield further up.

Also they need to score 2. Longer it stays at 0-0 the more chances they need to take.
SG alluded to this before the game. We will hit them on the break in the 2nd half and kill this off.
If we keep it tight and retain possession better, they will have to start committing men forward and taking chances.

Finding some of the comments on here a bit ridiculous to be honest. We're 3-1 up here and dealing with it absolutely fine so far. We were always going to have defending to do but we're doing it. I haven't felt nervous at all.
That's orange tinted specs.
We won't hold out another 45 if the second half goes the same way as the first in my opinion.

Saying that, last year we'd be 3 or 4 down.

I cant understand folk calling this poor. It is as professional a performance as we have seen from a Rangers side in many, many years. This mob are absolutely no mugs at all and we are containing them well, restricting them to shots from distance and asking the odd question ourselves. We might want more of the ball but we need to realise what is at stake here, and realise that 45 minutes exactly the same as that one is a perfect result for us.

The more they push forwards, and they will because they have to, the more we will have space for our front three, who by the way are all working fucking hard.

Perhaps not the most aesthetically pleasing match but we are doing very well given the players we are missing and the opposition.
Our midfield have relied on our defence.

Murphy for me is not good enough. We need 2 quality additions middle to front.

Just don't concede twice and we are through. An away goal would sit a lot better though :)

Keep the heads 2nd half Rangers.

I wonder if Steven Gerrard is watching
Amir Dervišević?

A good away European performance from the team. We are holding firm. Would like to see our wingers get on the ball some more and take the pressure off the defence, but so far so good. 45 mins away from the next round. Come on rangers

Also quite impressed with Zahovic upfront for them- looks like one to watch- only 22 and has scored 36 goals over the last 2 seasons

We're doing fine. They look very dangerous at set-pieces, the no 21 can put in a cracking ball.

Would like to see a bit more killer instinct when we do get forward, we'll definitely get a chance to counter them again.

Think we have played a fantastic defensive display away from home. Halliday has done great considering he was the main worry .

We look very capable on the break too.

Ha d that been last season we would be 3 down with they crosses into the box.

Satisfied bear here. Would prefer less daft bookings.

Couple of hairy moments but a couple of really good chances too. Bit tighter in the middle and still not ruthless enough up front for me, but we’re in good shape at the moment and they’ll have to open up more second half and go for it.

Cool heads needed at the back and clinical finishing when the chances come will see us win this.

All playing well , could be a problem if we lose a goal however the loner it goes the more chances we get. Morelos has to bury that and worry about offside later.

Dunno about the rest of you but I'm not concerned at all about them not being able to hold out. I'll be touching wood just to be on the safe side though!

I

If we concede 2 then we are out. We ideally need a goal.

Basically what I said....I said we wouldn’t score.

Which is fine. We’ve played a great away game so far.

If they’re good enough to score twice in the second half, congrats to them, they’ll go through and deservedly so

Back