David Bates has improved after leaving Rangers for Hamburg - Scot Gemmill

DavieM

David Bates has already improved as a player after switching to Hamburg from Rangers this summer, according to Scotland Under-21 boss Scot Gemmill.

The 21-year-old centre-half played 20 times last season for the Ibrox side but elected to join the club relegated to the Bundesliga's second tier.

"He's gone to Germany and has moved out of his comfort zone," Gemmill, whose side face Andorra on Thursday, said.

"You can already see his game intelligence has developed."

Bates has started all three of Hamburg's league matches and has now been rewarded with his first Scotland Under-21 call-up for the European Championship qualifiers against Andorra and Netherlands.

"David was a player we tried to involve while he was still a Rangers player, but towards the end of his time at Ibrox, he was unavailable through injury," Gemmill said.

Bates, who began his career with East Stirlingshire and joined Rangers from Raith Rovers in August 2016, has impressed the Scotland Under-21 boss with his decision to test himself on foreign soil.

"It's not just on the pitch that has to be correct," he said. "How you grow off the pitch is vital too and taking on such a big responsibility will make David much more mature both on and off the pitch.

"If you also factor in the size of the club that he has joined, the expectancy of playing in front of 50,000 people every home game will add to that.

"He's obviously experienced that at Rangers too, but there is no doubt, in terms of his development, there is no place to hide at Hamburg."

Where the fuck do you even begin with that??:eek:

Fair play and good luck to the lad would never wish ill on any young player.

I would argue that Rangers have improved since Bates left too - we now have the England U21 Captain as our backup for example.

I don’t think it’s necessary a criticism of Rangers, simply that he has adapted well to moving to a new country and is taking on the new challenge
The implication of the piece points that way; it says he's out of his "comfort zone", when in fact Bates, as the poster says, was improving under Rangers.

There’s nothing wrong with the article, it’s jhst people looking to be annoyed at something.
It's pretty moronic statements, not a jibe at rangers way just they're stupid.

He's never been in a Scotland 21s squad before now so how can he comment on the difference in maturity on and off the pitch.

What he should have said is that he commends the guy for testing himself in a different league and hopes other young Scots will follow suit.

He's never been in a Scotland 21s squad before now so how can he comment on the difference in maturity on and off the pitch.

What he should have said is that he commends the guy for testing himself in a different league and hopes other young Scots will follow suit.

He doesn’t say he has. He says he will. And he’ll be getting reports/Insight from coaches.

You are trying to find fault or a reason to have a to when none exists

The implication of the piece points that way; it says he's out of his "comfort zone", when in fact Bates, as the poster says, was improving under Rangers.
Here is it a different way, had Bates signed his new deal then the new manager came in a decided he didn’t fancy Bates, as he would have been fully entitled to do, and subsequently punted Bates. What if he’d left him in the reserves and he was only making fleeting appearances and he struggled when called upon?

Would you still get as annoyed? Some players respond to different managers and tactics. Just because he was coming on under Murty last season he might not have done the same under SG. My reading of the article is simply that it’s praising Bates not digging out Rangers

Here is it a different way, had Bates signed his new deal then the new manager came in a decided he didn’t fancy Bates, as he would have been fully entitled to do, and subsequently punted Bates. What if he’d left him in the reserves and he was only making fleeting appearances and he struggled when called upon?

Would you still get as annoyed? Some players respond to different managers and tactics. Just because he was coming on under Murty last season he might not have done the same under SG. My reading of the article is simply that it’s praising Bates not digging out Rangers
Firstly, I'm not annoyed; secondly, I disagree and think, implicitly, the article says he is improving having left Rangers; thirdly, I also think you make your point rather well, and you might be right, and I might be wrong.

He doesn’t say he has. He says he will. And he’ll be getting reports/Insight from coaches.

You are trying to find fault or a reason to have a to when none exists

I'll ask his dad on Saturday if he's having a go at Rangers - Scott's not David's.

Surely people should be plaeased that D B is doing well and developing into an even better player?

He was improving fairly rapidly with us as well to be fair.

A mistake letting him go as the manager has already alluded to.

There has been more threads about Bates since he left than any other player that I can remember, why? He’s not away on loan, he’s no longer anything to do with Rangers. Would we have a monthly thread about Barry McKay? The player wanted to leave to join a team that was in a relegation battle that they lost, good luck to him, but I don’t see how we can get any info from how good a player he is/could have been. It’s time to move on.

21 and learning the game.. not a surprise but something some of our support (myself included) can try and remember.

Although having a more mature forward would help :p

I'll ask his dad on Saturday if he's having a go at Rangers - Scott's not David's.

Surely people should be plaeased that D B is doing well and developing into an even better player?
I don't think he was having a go at Rangers necessessarily, just that he doesn't appear to appreciate that he improved greatly with us, and that he would have got better anyway. I personally think it's too early to give credit to Bates' time away from the club; his continued improvement could still be down to his time here. In other words, Bates should have stayed at Rangers, and the club should have made a bigger effort to keep him.

Sometimes you have to read an article without preconceived notions that it will be anti Rangers.

Nothing really wrong with this at all.
Agreed.
Got to laugh at some of the comments on FF. Someone is a "prick" or a "poet" or a "mentally challenged" if they say anything that isn't 100% kissing Rangers arse.

There has been more threads about Bates since he left than any other player that I can remember, why? He’s not away on loan, he’s no longer anything to do with Rangers. Would we have a monthly thread about Barry McKay? The player wanted to leave to join a team that was in a relegation battle that they lost, good luck to him, but I don’t see how we can get any info from how good a player he is/could have been. It’s time to move on.

Sorry but there have been multitudonally greater ammount of threads on "Barry wiz pure brilliant" and Barry was pure shite" in equal measure

297.png

He is roughly the same age as Katic (Bates is 5 days older according to Wiki) and not much younger than Goldson.

It is clear he wouldn't have played before these 2 so best of luck to him.

What @Papasmurf said.

Will be interesting to see how his career develops, there was a centre half in there and I wouldn't have been upset had he stayed to fight for a place.

Don't really see much wrong with this tbh.
For some reason a lot of our fans are just looking to be offended at anything, the whole world's against us.

He was going to improve no matter where he stayed, Gemill is a pr*** best ignored.
This is the biggest point for me.
However, the laughable line here is “he’s nowhere to hide at Hamburg”!
Is Gemmill really implying he could hide at Rangers?

He was under the guidance last season of Caixinha and Murty so it's hardly surprising if he has improved.

Last season was his first season playing for a big club as well.

I liked David Bates and was sorry to see him go. However, looking at our current centre half pairing, he would not have been a first pick. He has gone to Hamburg where he will get more game time, more money and probably better coaching than he thought he would get under Murty. Good luck to him.
If he continues to develop, perhaps we will bring him back in a few years as a replacement for Goldson or Katic, should they move on.

Sorry but there have been multitudonally greater ammount of threads on "Barry wiz pure brilliant" and Barry was pure shite" in equal measure
At least with McKay you can say that at some point over his 100+ game career with Rangers, there was signs of being a great player underneath the attitude. Bates had a decent old firm, was offered what the club thought was reasonable, he allegedly wanted £7kpw to stay. Do you honestly think we should have paid him that?

He did the right thing, go to Europe, experience a different way of playing and got the financial reward he thought he was worth. Move on.

The cbs we have this season, and some on here still pine for Bates?

The def that could not head the ball, pass it 2 yards or defend full stop? Really?

Seems like theres some people on here desperate to be offended at something, seems like a fair article to me....

I watched him against Holstein Kiel and he was pretty poor.

Not a patch on Katić or Goldson and I'd imagine Worrall is better as is McAuley.

Good luck to Bates. Hope he makes a good career of it.

He didn't want to leave.

He was offered an amount. He was looking for more. Club wouldn't budge.

I won't mention figures but you'd be surprised how little we tried to keep him.

Good luck to him.

Hes not been away long enough to say how much he has improved. I dont know if the intention was to suggest he wouldn't have improved had he stayed but it can be read that way.

The move will be good for him because he might not have had much game time here this season.

Definitely a player I liked.

He’s not on the same planet as Goldson or Katic, arguably Worrall or McAuley either. It was the right thing for Bates to do.

I only saw coverage of his debut and he was absolutely honking, Hamburg got thumped 3-0 at home and he was subbed after less than an hour.

Cardoso is doing well too scored two goals in four games and got MOTH at the weekend. A good player that's been taught how to play football rather than how to throw hammers. Will probably end up an international.

Says a lot about Scottish football and why the Scottish international team has been so poor.

Back