Ian McCall - It is a totally sacrilegious thing in Scotland, ‘oh don’t slag Kieran Tierney

Bonnyloyal

IAN McCall believes Scotland skipper Andy Robertson is ‘miles’ ahead of Kieran Tierney.

And criticising the Celtic star in Scotland is ‘sacrilegious’

The Ayr United boss was part of a discussion on BBC Sportsound with Steven Thompson and Leanne Crichton ahead of Scotland’s Nations League clash with Israel.

The pundits were discussing Alex McLeish’s team and potential formations for the game in Haifa.

On Robertson and Tierney, Thompson said: “They both play regardless.”

However, Scotland Women’s midfielder Crichton and McCall didn’t agree with the former Rangers and St Mirren hitman.

Crichton feels Tierney’s performances have dropped recently and he shouldn’t be an automatic pick.

While, McCall would prefer to play a back four with Liverpool star Robbo at left-back.

Crichton said: “I don’t think Tierney has really performed over the last month or so.

“But just because of the season he had previously that he’s a first pick for folk but nobody ever questions it.”

“It is a totally sacrilegious thing in Scotland, ‘oh don’t slag Kieran Tierney’! You’re right, absolutely right

“I completely agree with Leanne on that. If you are going to pick a left-back right now Robertson is miles ahead of Tierney. Miles!

“The level he’s playing at, who he’s playing against, who he’s playing with. It’s just a fact.”

Robertson is miles ahead of Tierney.

That’s not because he is a mentally challenged it’s just stating a simple fact.

You would like that Scotland would stop playing players out of position just like Rangers.

*** I had no idea that they were both tims. Thanks to the 15 million who pointed that out to me****

Last edited:
One got to last year's CL final.

The other played for last year's CL cannon fodder in a defence that conceded so many goals you'd need a scientific calculator to count the goals against.

It's not even a contest and changing the entire formation to accommodate the spotty teenager is ridiculous.

Tin hat on, but if Scotland continue to play with a back three I would rather have Tierney in there than Mulgrew.

Tierney, McKenna and Souttar with Robertson as a left wing back and looks like O’Donnell is favourite for the right wing back.

Robertson is as close to world class a as a Scot has been for a very long time.

Tierney is pretty good in Scotland.

There's no comparison.

Absolute 100 percent correct. Robertson is better than Tierney there is no denying that fact.

Only when Tierney moves to the EPL and holds his own up against top class players on a weekly basis will he be worthy of the adulation he receives in this country. But right now? Not for me.

Tierney is good for his age but I honestly don’t see what the fuss is.

I understand they’re hyping their own player up and rightly so but I haven’t really seen much from him to justify it.

Candeias and Tavernier ran him ragid at Parkhead last season

He makes a great point and it won't be personal towards Tierney I wouldn't think. Problem is that ALL club fans hype their players up way to much and on this occasion the media has joined in as well. So it won't ever stop overall.

Good to see someone not afraid to speak out with the truth and what we all know goes on in promoting certain players .

Depends what the argument is here. If it's who is the better player, then obviously Robertson is miles better than Tierney. Tirney is overrated. However, that doesn't mean you drop Tierney from the Scotland team, if that is the actual argument. He should still play in that Scotland team ahead of some bang average players. We've only one class player and that's Roberston. We still need to pick 10 more though

The regular towing the line pundits getting a showing up tierney has pace and a decent cross thats about it if you actually watch him his passing is usually negative back towards a centre half or the goalkeeper vastly overrated

This " truth" thing doesn't really go down well on Radio Scotland, does it ? :D Any Peasant that has a decent season in Scotland is naturally world class, POTY material, etc. Tierney is the most over rated wee diddy in years and regularly gets found out in Europe.

He's a good player but vastly overhyped. I watched sportscene and he was rag dolled at Kilmarnock on a few occasions. Good on Ian McCall, honesty on in the media at last

I've had this discussion with mentally challenged pals. Robertson is miles ahead of Tierney (that doesn't mean Tierney is a bad player but if Scotland are playing a back 4, it's Robertson all day).

It shows you how sh*te Scotland are that they are trying to shoehorn Tierney into the team by any means necessary simply because he's a good player.

The fact this is now being discussed shows you the changes that are happening! How can any player who is regularly pumped in Europe and plays in Scotland be ahead of a CL finalist who plays every week for a potential title winning team in the EPL.

Robertson is miles ahead of Tierney.

That’s not because he is a mentally challenged it’s just stating a simple fact.

You would like that Scotland would stop playing players out of position just like Rangers.
Robertsons a mentally challenged too, but miles and miles ahead of that wee kiddy on ned.

Refreshing to hear some comments that bear some resemblence to reality from the media in this country.

Tierney is talented in the attacking sense, defensively he has been shown up time and again in Europe.

James Tavernier's a better full back than Tierney.

Tbh I don't see it with the wee queerhawk at all. He has a bit of pace and a good engine and that's it. He's competent enough but nothing more than that.

If he had Tav's numbers in terms of goals and assists the scum would have him down as the second coming of Roberto Carlos.

I reckon Barisic is better than Tierney too btw. I'm hoping he can get fully fit and prove that.

The regular towing the line pundits getting a showing up tierney has pace and a decent cross thats about it if you actually watch him his passing is usually negative back towards a centre half or the goalkeeper vastly overrated

No, he doesn't. He actually lacks genuine pace.

That's why he has no chance of playing at the level Robertson does.

IAN McCall believes Scotland skipper Andy Robertson is ‘miles’ ahead of Kieran Tierney.

And criticising the Celtic star in Scotland is ‘sacrilegious’

The Ayr United boss was part of a discussion on BBC Sportsound with Steven Thompson and Leanne Crichton ahead of Scotland’s Nations League clash with Israel.

The pundits were discussing Alex McLeish’s team and potential formations for the game in Haifa.

On Robertson and Tierney, Thompson said: “They both play regardless.”

However, Scotland Women’s midfielder Crichton and McCall didn’t agree with the former Rangers and St Mirren hitman.

Crichton feels Tierney’s performances have dropped recently and he shouldn’t be an automatic pick.

While, McCall would prefer to play a back four with Liverpool star Robbo at left-back.

Crichton said: “I don’t think Tierney has really performed over the last month or so.

“But just because of the season he had previously that he’s a first pick for folk but nobody ever questions it.”

“It is a totally sacrilegious thing in Scotland, ‘oh don’t slag Kieran Tierney’! You’re right, absolutely right

“I completely agree with Leanne on that. If you are going to pick a left-back right now Robertson is miles ahead of Tierney. Miles!

“The level he’s playing at, who he’s playing against, who he’s playing with. It’s just a fact.”
Some people seem to be growing a set.
Maybe Leanne too.
Lawwell not getting his message across these days.

I assume both of them have now had their windows put in and multiple complaints made to the BBC to ensure they aren't allowed back on?

Tierney is like so many of the players Celtic have had and currently have. Massively overrated. Now don't get me wrong - he's a decent player but nothing more than that. He's also a left back and a left back only - he can't play anywhere else. Therefore, if there is a better left option, which there is, then simply put he shouldn't be playing.

Really is that simple but it's one of the reasons Scotland constantly fail to deliver at the moment. They don't pick the best players for the role. Too busy worrying about the media, some (well, a club) club fans reactions and annoying their boss Peter.

Back