Rangers & SD back in court today

DavyMcK

Official Ticketer
https://www.eveningexpress.co.uk/ne...ect-back-at-high-court-over-merchandise-deal/

I've read this a few times and i'm not sure what its actually telling us, if it wasn't for the fact it was published at 15:30 on 10/10/18 id say it was old news !! Hopefully other (non Tim) sources will have some details.

Bosses at Rangers Football Club are embroiled in a fresh merchandise deal row with Sports Direct and Newcastle United owner Mike Ashley, less than three months after a High Court judge said both sides should “try to make peace”.

In a High Court hearing in London in late July, Mr Justice Phillips was told a dispute over the terms of the deal had been settled.

But lawyers representing the two sides were back at the court on Wednesday after Mr Ashley complained of a breach of contract by Rangers.

Bosses at Rangers dispute the complaint.

Mr Justice Phillips heard in July how a deal, which allows a company in the Sports Direct group to sell replica Rangers kits and other branded products, was expiring

He had been told bosses at Rangers wanted to sign a new deal with a third party, but SDI Retail Services executives objected and said they should have a chance to match any new offer.

The judge had been due to analyse evidence about the meaning of a contract clause at a trial.

But lawyers representing both sides told him out-of-court agreements had been made.

The judge said Rangers had accepted claims made by SDI bosses.

He said Rangers and SDI were negotiating another deal, and added: “I would really have thought the time has come to try to make peace.”

The judge was told more than £500,000 had been spent on lawyers, with SDI running up legal costs of £350,000 and Rangers £185,000.

Mr Justice Phillips said Rangers’ bosses should pick up the vast majority of SDI’s legal bills as well as paying their own fees, adding SDI was “entitled to the costs”.

Last edited:
He claims we have breached the contract regarding strip sales so he has us back in court again

So, no further forward by the sounds of things. We cannot continue to absorb the expensive legal bills of the fat slug. How can we get free of his clutches.

Clearly a calculated decision by the the club to go ahead and sell the strips, think the argument will be that we have decided to not go with one dedicated retailer which surely we are entitled to do

Looks like we’re willing to pay the £1m plus costs tend this once and for all

Clearly a calculated decision by the the club to go ahead and sell the strips, think the argument will be that we have decided to not go with one dedicated retailer which surely we are entitled to do
Yeah your post is a good guess i reckon,hopefully we have taken some sound legal advice on the matter.

The guy is a scumbag and just refuses to just feck off.

We effectively 'withdrew' from the last case, accepting SDI had the right to match deals. It will be very interesting to see where we go with this but, having 'conceded' last time I don't think we are going into it in a strong position.

As someone suggests above, maybe make the argument that we are no longer going to have an 'exclusive' retail partner in order to 'void' the SDI right to match? I suspect this will cost us but, if the cost is reasonable, it will be worth it to finally (for real) get rid of the fat parasite.

Is this fat fucking c u n t so fucking stupid that he can’t see that we want absolutely f u c k all to do with him and even if he is allowed to sell our tops we won’t go near his shitty shops and as we proved before we would rather not buy tops if it meant buying them from him

Fat miser will be saying we broke the terms of the agreement to allow them to match any merch deal, he'll be seeking compo, hope our legal team have prepared for this challenge.

Honestly think he'll be looking for an injunction to stop us selling.

Thought compensation was limited. The fact is that SD would make very little because a lot of fans would not buy from him

Is this fat fucking c u n t so fucking stupid that he can’t see that we want absolutely f u c k all to do with him and even if he is allowed to sell our tops we won’t go near his shitty shops and as we proved before we would rather not buy tops if it meant buying them from him
I think he knows all this but does not give a jot ! If he canny have his money then we ain’t getting ours would be my guess at his take on it !! He’d let the stock sit there and rot he is that evil !

Hopefully so but god knows what clauses the fat man has inserted in the contracts and the legal system has hardly handed him his arse on things so far. We have had to pay the bulk of his fees?!

Thought compensation was limited. The fact is that SD would make very little because a lot of fans would not buy from him

The SDI contract states compo limited to £1m but they argued at the last hearing and I think the conclusion of the judge was that compensation was largely 'unquantifiable' - but probably in excess of the £1m figure quoted.

I'm pretty certain that if Rangers thought they could walk away from this for another £1m then they would jump at it.

We effectively 'withdrew' from the last case, accepting SDI had the right to match deals. It will be very interesting to see where we go with this but, having 'conceded' last time I don't think we are going into it in a strong position.

As someone suggests above, maybe make the argument that we are no longer going to have an 'exclusive' retail partner in order to 'void' the SDI right to match? I suspect this will cost us but, if the cost is reasonable, it will be worth it to finally (for real) get rid of the fat parasite.
Yep, this is my take on it. So far, he has broadly speaking gotten his way from the courts. If this goes against us, we need to push for a judicial review as company law is clearly unfit for purpose. Contracts agreed under duress are supposed to unenforceable. It’s clear his placemen signed us up to a disgusting agreement pre-fuucking off and then subsequently we were on the backfoot when it came to negotiating our way out of that contract.

Yep, this is my take on it. So far, he has broadly speaking gotten his way from the courts. If this goes against us, we need to push for a judicial review as company law is clearly unfit for purpose. Contracts agreed under duress are supposed to unenforceable. It’s clear his placemen signed us up to a disgusting agreement pre-fuucking off and then subsequently we were on the backfoot when it came to negotiating our way out of that contract.

If this is Rangers, imagine what Newcastle are like! I have a feeling the end is in sight, and it's a final roll of the dice from SDI :eek:

All references and quotes from the July hearing. Nothing to confirm we are back in court in October in that piece.

If this is Rangers, imagine what Newcastle are like! I have a feeling the end is in sight, and it's a final roll of the dice from SDI :eek:
Hopefully we get rid ASAP but after all we have been through and the times the legal system has absolutely failed us, I am not holding my breath.

He knows full well mate.its nothing more than spite with him now.

What was there to negotiate.
We accepted they had the right to match the offer from JD so they either match it or they don't surely?
They can't then negotiate a brand new offer.

We need a judge to just show some common sense and rule SD out of the way once and for all.
Otherwise we are going to be tied to him for years to come I fear.

You would think so and any fair minded judge should agree.

W.A.T.P.

But they wern,t made under duress mate .thats the thing .he had his palace men in place as you pointed out .so it kind of invalidates the duress part.

All references and quotes from the July hearing. Nothing to confirm we are back in court in October in that piece.
It confirmed we were in court today. The arguments were outlined:
The latest dispute is being analysed by another judge, Mr Justice Teare.

Lawyers for SDI said Rangers had entered into an agreement with another company, following the hearing in late July, which was a breach of contract.

They said Rangers had defended “this conduct” on the basis of an argument about the construction of its agreement with SDI.

The SDI contract states compo limited to £1m but they argued at the last hearing and I think the conclusion of the judge was that compensation was largely 'unquantifiable' - but probably in excess of the £1m figure quoted.

I'm pretty certain that if Rangers thought they could walk away from this for another £1m then they would jump at it.

Precisely why it was argued that compensation was not viable in this case - by both sides.

But they wern,t made under duress mate .thats the thing .he had his palace men in place as you pointed out .so it kind of invalidates the duress part.
If the first one wasn’t, then there’s an argument that the second one was, due to the appalling terms of the first one. There has to be an argument also, given the relationship between Ashley and Directors that the contract was a stitch-up, especially given the timing and terms of the deal.

The other aspect is that the Directors failed in their duties, signing us up to such disgraceful and non-competitive terms (easily cross-referenced to previous deals or others that other clubs had at a similar time), so I am astounded we haven’t gone after them. Knowing that it was done within a day or so of being booted out too, smacks of fuucking the club over.

Wonder if DK has decided, in light of the prior adverse ruling, to see if we can break the SD deal for no more than £1m figure mentioned. It's a gamble, of course - SD could get much more - but surely worth it to be free of the fat parasite?

If the first one wasn’t, then there’s an argument that the second one was, due to the appalling terms of the first one. There has to be an argument also, given the relationship between Ashley and Directors that the contract was a stitch-up, especially given the timing and terms of the deal.

The other aspect is that the Directors failed in their duties, signing us up to such disgraceful and non-competitive terms (easily cross-referenced to previous deals or others that other clubs had at a similar time), so I am astounded we haven’t gone after them. Knowing that it was done within a day or so of being booted out too, smacks of fuucking the club over.

There is no way they're going to go that route mate, none. It simply won't work - especially when DK came out after signing it hailing the great deal it was for the club and telling us to go straight out and start buying kit.

The law, regardless of common sense, isn't going to help us out on that line.

I sincerely hope we haven't made another rip roaring cnt of this.

Oddly, I would suspect that the challenge is not the fact we are selling the strips via other sources, more that compensation is due against some part of the previous agreement.

They said Rangers had defended “this conduct” on the basis of an argument about the construction of its agreement with SDI.

That's an interesting line...

Could be taken to mean they've failed to agree to the new deal or does it mean something more specific in relation to a definition or clause?

Reads more as the former to me... I think...

Fat miser will be saying we broke the terms of the agreement to allow them to match any merch deal, he'll be seeking compo, hope our legal team have prepared for this challenge.
I think it's pretty clear the last thing the fat cùnt wants out of this is money.

There is no way they're going to go that route mate, none. It simply won't work - especially when DK came out after signing it hailing the great deal it was for the club and telling us to go straight out and start buying kit.

The law, regardless of common sense, isn't going to help us out on that line.
Disappointing that we haven’t (if we won’t) ruined these bast@rds careers and lives after what they did to the club.

Really still struggling with King’s comments given the money paid out to seeming get out of a mess that we are still in.

Fair points mate but there is no duress involved in ias you said in your original post ashley had his palace men in place so basically there was no need for duress.he basically picked up the phone to his pals who had the majority of seats on the board.you ve made a very good point about ashleys conections to the board at the time and the deals being a stitch up . That is the angel we should be looking at not the duress one.

Other than the fact we are back in Court all that does is repeat the earlier hearing report.

At I guess Id say Ashley is seeking an injunction to stop us selling via thegersstoreonline.

That would be strange though given how long he has sat back and done nothing as we sold the best part of 20k orders.

Wonder if DK has decided, in light of the prior adverse ruling, to see if we can break the SD deal for no more than £1m figure mentioned. It's a gamble, of course - SD could get much more - but surely worth it to be free of the fat parasite?
Not if we end up with a massive financial penalty and still end up having to go with them.

What is apparent is the legal system is a joke when it protects scum like Ashley. These contracts we have been hampered with (by his placemen no less) are a fuucking disgrace and their legacy still lives on.

Back