Ibrox pre 1978 thread

dMwlsu.png

I will be in that photo. Never missed a home game in that era. Was at school and used to meet my mates at the same barrier every time

Love this thread, as you can see from my avatar, thanks all
I will be in this photo as well, great days to be a supporter, we ruled the world then

" Derry rule the world "

qxv49d.jpg

Photo above is mid 60's with the terraces concreted over

2rc4kdw.jpg

Photo above is approx summer of '62 with terracing concreting started as part of the upgrading work of the early 60's

2urnt01.jpg

Approx '62... same as photo above

av52ea.jpg

Photo above is approx '71 with Edminston Club built but North Enclosure still terraced (pre Centenary Stand).
Roof built on the Rangers End in the late summer of '66 and the floodlights were moved onto the roof of the Main Stand and Shed as part of that upgrade work too... previously they were housed just under the roof edge of main Stand and Shed.
I think the first game with the new lights was 1st March '67 in ECWC vs. Real Zaragoza - reports in the paper that week said the lights were much brighter than the old lights and half the cost to run.
If you zoom in on that last photo it looks like the wooden barriers are still in place at the top and bottom of the north east stairway that they erected after the disaster. I've no idea when they were ultimately removed, perhaps some of the older lads will recall when they reopened that stairway.

It must have been a cold day as gloves are in evidence. The lad with the spectacles looks to be having a sip of tonic wine to boost his immunity levels to any seasonal sniffles.

This is a great thread. Some stunning photos of Ibrox and those who have supported The Rangers.

I was at that game,one of the first times I seen my Dad with a tear in his eye.First title in a decade,and stopping the scum's 10 in a row. Pity Airdrie won 1-0 that day though.
The community singing was superb ,I can't remember what the crowd was quoted as ,but add a good few 1000 onto the official figure. Ibrox was packed that day.

Back