Match Thread Spartak Moskva v Rangers - 17:55 Thursday - BT Sports

One of the glaring obvious problems we have, is a major lack of experience.
Flanagan - awful positioning and giving away possession in a crazy area.
Katic - Giving away really daft fouls and diving in continously, getting cought out of position.
Morelos - getting yet another needless booking for petulance.
Ejaria and Arfield making the wrong decision when using the ball.
A lot of really inexperienced , naive,, schoolboy stuff.
As someone mentioned, I think we do lack a real leader.
All these players are capable of very good performances, and have shown that, but really have to learn to be more streetwise.

Frustrating as fck for a lot of reasons, the main one is that the defence out there was the reason we got to the group stages.

They were honking tonight at the back.

If the bad offside decision doesn't happen we're winning that tonight.
That could be argued mate.Every cross ball we looked like we would concede.In fact the keeper saved us at least twice.

Every Rangers fan is going to feel gutted after that result, at half time we were holding our own and looking good.

Full Time and our manager and players are getting it left, right and center.

This team made the group stages of the CL last season, they are not a shit team, but they've gone through a bad patch and confidence is low, they were dangerous all night, had it not been for AM we would have been thumped.

It's a sore one, but we're still in with a shout.
We are still in with a shout. Not if the manager keeps tinkering with the team and can't figure out how to use subs. We'll end up right at the bottom.

It's a very sore one and we did throw it away. I feel the manager needs to take almost all of the blame - he did nothing to change things until it was too late. AGAIN! He keeps doing this when we're struggling or losing, just does nothing to help. It's really frustrating.

I really like Gerrard and I really, really want him to succeed but he does worry me.

We simply can't control a game
It's that simple
Everything positive we do is in small bursts
Whilst anything that could have went wrong did go wrong (valid goal chopped off, ridiculous own goal etc) but if we had controlled that game for any length of time that game would have been won which is exactly what we needed to do in that 2nd half & failed AGAIN
You make a fair point,although we have made progress under Gerrard tonight just underlines how far we have yet to go before we are a solid side.

It's no real surprise to be fair, we probably have already punched above our weight in Europe until tonight .

Every Rangers fan is going to feel gutted after that result, at half time we were holding our own and looking good.

Full Time and our manager and players are getting it left, right and center.

This team made the group stages of the CL last season, they are not a shit team, but they've gone through a bad patch and confidence is low, they were dangerous all night, had it not been for AM we would have been thumped.

It's a sore one, but we're still in with a shout.

You talk too much sense mate. :D

It's all a bonus, making the group stages was massive, the rest is a bonus. We need to focus on the league and getting it right there.

Katic - Giving away really daft fouls and diving in continously, getting cought out of position.
All these players are capable of very good performances, and have shown that, but really have to learn to be more streetwise.
What would the “leader” do here?
Greig was a great leader.
Yet, during his time septic won nine in a row.
Gough was a great leader.
Look at the shir we lost to during his tenure.
Plenty have said so about Weir as well.
Does Kaunas ring a bell?

We are in real need of a lift. The team lack leaders on the park and the midfield and defence were awful tonight. That was a great chance to practically guarantee qualification missed.

Listen if you have watched Gooldson in the last 5 or 6 games closely he is the man to worry about and I know I am in the minority but the guy does not fill me with confidence very slow in his final pass nearly always getting caught.

I have watched him in all the games and Goldson is a bit of a nightmare as well but can switch play with a decent ball sometimes..Katic is rotten and gives me the fear..

So we're now in second place... qualification is still in our own hands then?

No, we're in 3rd place.

Spartak are in 2nd because of superior head-to-head record against us. If we end up on same points as Spartak when all is done, they remain above us.

Goal difference not a factor if we end with same points total as Spartak.

If your going away to a side in crisis and lead the game 3 times, lead at half time, then somehow contrive to lose when they are clearly all over the shop there for the taking of course your due stick
I would agree. Ive noted the points im unhappy with in that post as well.

But they clearly arent the worst team we will play in Europe, their movement was good going forward again and weve looked pretty shaky the last 2 weeks as well.

I think you are harsh on Morelos, it was never a foul and he done what any player in such a situation would have done.....he moaned that was all.

Morelos was booked for absolutely nothing...are players not allowed to be annoyed anymore?

I have no idea what Coulibaly offers over Jack though, why was he dropped?

Also have no idea why Goldson has escaped criticism in your post when it's a toss up between him and Flanagan for the worst player tonight?

First time our defence has really let us down this season
That was just pure comedy
Hopefully it’s out the system now
A bit unlucky too
Go in at 4-2 and they would have been buried.
Good news is we are still in there fighting
Villareal will murder them in Spain so we just need to do the business in Vienna
First time? Away and watch the Motherwell game again.
Then there's the numerous individual errors made by our defenders. Granted, they received no protection from our invisible midfield tonight, the signs have been there.

What would the “leader” do here?
Greig was a great leader.
Yet, during his time septic won nine in a row.
Gough was a great leader.
Look at the shir we lost to during his tenure.
Plenty have said so about Weir as well.
Does Kaunas ring a bell?
He would influence players around him and try to stop the same players making the same naive mistakes, time and time again.

SG has a lot to answer for. How could he stand there and watch our non existent defence and mid field for 80 minutes, and do nothing to change things? Shocking.

Utter shite. Pathetic defending and disgraceful ball retention in the middle of the park.

This may sound reactionary but I'd send Ejaria back. He offers nothing and that has been the same in pretty much every game he has played all season.
Liked your first line.
The second though, he’s a kid who has played the first thirty games of his career and has hit a dip in form.
Couldn’t have came at a worse time for us but it was always going to happen.

To be honest that was just a re run of Motherwell away, who while snatching a draw had enough chances to win second half. When the game should have been out of sight. I am fully aware that we are constrained by budget, and by past mistakes in recruiting. However tonight wasn’t the pisser because it was Europe but more about the same issues cropping up in this season and being similar to previous ones. Given the budget and size of squad we have and the quality of our league it just underlined the paucity of results against Aberdeen, Kilmarnock, Livingston and Motherwell.

If I’m being brutally honest there are players with us that I don’t think will ever win us anything. And there are much more than a handful. I really wonder how we sort that with relatively little cash. Finally, Loan players will win us nothing imho.

Considering your last post before tonight was blaming Candeias for last weekend, that one

Blame...what you on about?

All i said was if yer gonna shoosh someone, be prepared to take whats coming...said the yellow card was a joke, so dont know where you're coming from..

we have no midfield so when our wingers dont perform there's zilch yet we score 3 weird game which with blue tinted spec we should be winning.

I said pre-season that if we stick the likes of tav then we wont win shit. I think arfield/tav are great squad players but never first team pick... then we have our loan players :(

i still think SG has enough to be 2nd but we sadly lacking quality.

He would influence players around him and try to stop the same players making the same naive mistakes, time and time again.

Is this for real? So we should find a leader who will stop other players making mistakes. Do folk read what they write before they post it? Richard Gough was the greatest captain of my lifetime yet he was part of some of the worst defensive European displays I’ve seen in my lifetime.

You talk too much sense mate. :D

It's all a bonus, making the group stages was massive, the rest is a bonus. We need to focus on the league and getting it right there.

Exactly, you are spot on there (not the sense part :D)

Enjoy the experience and the wins we get, we've waited long enough and endured some terrible lows along the way.

Enjoy the group stage of the EL and count the cash its giving us.

We are in the best shape we've been in years.

We lost to a team who I feel deserved it on the night.

I would however say that if that shot off the post at the end had been against us it would have ended up in the back of the neck.

Morelos was booked for absolutely nothing...are players not allowed to be annoyed anymore?

I have no idea what Coulibaly offers over Jack though, why was he dropped?

Also have no idea why Goldson has escaped criticism in your post when it's a toss up between him and Flanagan for the worst player tonight?
Yes I agree about Goldson tonight.
Morelos showed clear petulance and got booked. I don't agree with getting a booking for showing your frustration, but point is that refs will always book you for it. It's happened to him far too many times and he must learn to stay calm in these situations. We need him on the pitch, not suspended.

Sick reading this drivel. Is he supposed to account for 3 out of his back 4 having an absolute shocker? Can he mitigate individual mistakes on the pitch? People witter on like we have a bench full of quality. If he doesn’t play Flanagan he plays Andy Halliday, are we now saying he’s a player? Total delusion every time you read a match thread. Things like this happen because our players are still not top quality. They have bad games, they make mistakes because in a European sense they are fairly average. Katic was the answer to everything over the last few weeks, comes in and is hopeless. I’m Europe we have over achieved massively. Yes we should have won tonight and have thrown it away but get a reality check.

No but he could stop changing the defense every game! How are we meant to build a settled team when Katic and Worrall are in and out. Flannigan has been rotten for weeks while Halliday hasn't put a foot wrong.

The midfield was rotten surely he can see this? Ryan Jack could of come on and shored up the midfield.

Steven Gerrard is not above critisim!

Who said anything about releasing a statement??

Statement, going to BT directly, however you meant “call them out”, it’s mental.

We’re all hurting after that shambles tonight but moaning cause Rob MacLean doesn’t sound excited when we score is maniac stuff.

We have no one taking control of midfield. You saw gaps appearing all game. Three of their players to one of ours. Major disappointment.
Whats happened to our closing down of teams. Short, sharp passing.

Back