Match Thread Spartak Moskva v Rangers - 17:55 Thursday - BT Sports

Has the Gaffer had his post match interview yet? Can’t see it anywhere.
BT wen’t straight to the girodome

Listen if you have watched Gooldson in the last 5 or 6 games closely he is the man to worry about and I know I am in the minority but the guy does not fill me with confidence very slow in his final pass nearly always getting caught.

I agree he's making too many basic errors of late, tonights being the cherry, but alongside Worral and Katic tonight hes looked like Baresi. Does Gerrard look at Goldson and McAuley?

Is this for real? So we should find a leader who will stop other players making mistakes. Do folk read what they write before they post it? Richard Gough was the greatest captain of my lifetime yet he was part of some of the worst defensive European displays I’ve seen in my lifetime.
Obviously nobody can stop players making mistakes, but if for example,you had someone like Gough playing beside Katic, he would teach him better positional sense and to stop diving in.

That hurts. We had it in our hands and we fucked it. But would we have been pleasantly surprised to be holding our own at this stage of the group stages? Too bloody right we would.
Our defence is beginning to concern me. Not just the defending without the ball but the way we panicked and played ourselves back into trouble.
On the plus side, we still don’t look out of our depth. We can genuinely compete well at this level and just need to stop the brainfarts.

Manager has made mistakes lately and we shouldn't be surprised that this happens with a rookie manager, but the lack of awareness with a couple of players is puzzling. Yet we are still potentially only 4 points off the top of the league, still in with a chance at qualifying in Europe and in spells playing some really good football. December against them and the transfer window will tell us if the rookie is on the right path to delivering 55 in the next 2 years. The fact we are gutted, rather than not surprised we lost tonight shows the progress and we now wait and see if we can build on that.

Disappointed. Thought we had them and they were there for the taking. WTF happened to our organisation that's been so good in our other euro games? Too many stupid errors cost us.

No but he could stop changing the defense every game! How are we meant to build a settled team when Katic and Worrall are in and out. Flannigan has been rotten for weeks while Halliday hasn't put a foot wrong.

The midfield was rotten surely he can see this? Ryan Jack could of come on and shored up the midfield.

Steven Gerrard is not above critisim!

No he’s not, no manager is but supporters living in a fantasy world are not beyond it either. He should have played Worral, that would have been met with the usual faux outrage but at the moment he looks a far better defender. The fact people are raging about the lack of quality displayed by Flanagan and in the same breath, without any irony, then say Halliday should start is beyond hilarious.

According to a group on here we’ve never played a good team ever. All teams are written off as rubbish. No idea where this idea comes from. Totally bizarre.

Deflated here. Defensive mistakes and a huge wrong call on Alfies goal. They were a beaten team if that goal is given. No luck again against a team we should have beat.

We can't control a game for any length of time when it's needed
We are too slow in closing the opposition down at vital times
And we seem to make the wrong decisions when put under pressure and by that I mean there are times when we cause our own problems even by overplaying like for their 3rd goal when a simple clearance was needed but on other occasions we do the opposite when a pass was on
Mentality needs to improve

We had that game won at half-time and lost all composure in the second half,it's as if the players don't believe in themselves to go and kill a game.l may be over reacting but l am really hurting tonight at the way we lost the game

They were in the CL group stage last season.

Liverpool destroyed them, but they still were there.

They ain't shite, you don't get shite teams in the group stages.

They are absolute toilet, the fact were all on here slating our lot for their performance yet we still scored 3, technically 4, against them in their own midden tells you they are total shite

They are absolute toilet, the fact were all on here slating our lot for their performance yet we still scored 3, technically 4, against them in their own midden tells you they are total shite

You keep repeating this. They're not. They're a very decent team with players of a far higher ability than ours.

Which team have we played this season that are better than Spartak?

You keep repeating this. They're not. They're a very decent team with players of a far higher ability than ours.

Which team have we played this season that are better than Spartak?
Villareal are better, Rapid Vienna pumped them 3 nil.....there's 2. They are garbage and any half decent CL side would have had 6 or 7 off them tonight.

jack and Halliday should have started the second half.We were never going to keep it at 3-2 the way the midfield was performing.The manager is really showing his Inexperience in the crucial games I'm afraid.If you score 3 goals away in Europe and don't come away with anything there is something far wrong and SG is not exempt from criticism in this one

No he’s not, no manager is but supporters living in a fantasy world are not beyond it either. He should have played Worral, that would have been met with the usual faux outrage but at the moment he looks a far better defender. The fact people are raging about the lack of quality displayed by Flanagan and in the same breath, without any irony, then say Halliday should start is beyond hilarious.

According to a group on here we’ve never played a good team ever. All teams are written off as rubbish. No idea where this idea comes from. Totally bizarre.

Andy Halliday this season is 10x the player he was last season for you to not recognize that he's in a good run of form is hilarious!

I appreciate Moscow have a huge budget and a team full of multi million pound players but sometimes in football that doesn't matter they were there for the taking tonight if we had been more solid and compact we could of stopped the two quick goals.

Had to tighten up at half time, Jack on seems like a no brainier in hindsight. If he was saving him for Sunday and prioritising the league I can’t complain though as that’s what I’ve wanted

Villareal are better, Rapid Vienna pumped them 3 nil.....there's 2. They are garbage and any half decent CL side would have had 6 or 7 off them tonight.

That's Villarreal who required a 96th minute to get a point in Moscow.

No one's saying that criticism isn't due on various aspects of tonight's performance. But to continually push the narrative that they are "total shite" is just nonsense.

That last ‘dive’, was it one? Looked a blatant penalty watching it live. Thought the ref got the first two right but that last one looked pretty obvious

Only thing that went right for Goldson all game

The (wrongly) disallowed goal at 3-2 cost us.

If we go 4-2 up just before half time, their heads go down and we win the game imo.

It's a hard one to take but the criticism is way, way OTT.

At the very least a 2 goal cushion for them to even get a draw

When you put it like that it didnt help

Flanagans error for 3rd done us

At the very least a 2 goal cushion for them to even get a draw

When you put it like that it didnt help

Flanagans error for 3rd done us

I don't see the point of singling out individuals.

The defending throughout the whole team (throughout both teams really) was pretty dire and almost every goal came from an error of some sort.

That's Villarreal who required a 96th minute to get a point in Moscow.

No one's saying that criticism isn't due on various aspects of tonight's performance. But to continually push the narrative that they are "total shite" is just nonsense.
But they were total shite tonight.

I don't see the point of singling out individuals.

The defending throughout the whole team (throughout both teams really) was pretty dire and almost every goal came from an error of some sort.

Its true though

He also played a belter of a pass for the goal but i really think we should have brought halliday on at half time

If Halliday Jack and McCrorie had started we would have won that. Our midfield is woeful and we cant continue to play loan players.
SG is not good with team selection and worse with subs.
However we were unlucky not getting a goal scored by Freddy and we hit the post at the end.
Middleton was fine and scored and Candy took his goal well but was not great covering Tav who just cant defend.
Our defence does not look to see where attackers are and any of three could have headed their third goal.
Anyway if we win our next two we can still qualify but that is going to be very difficult.
I now worry about Sunday and hope we can change the team and win although all these changes to our side do not help.
Hopefully SG is learning in particular about subs which to date are far too late in appearing.
Just need to get behind the team against Villareal and look for a good victory.
We need a friendly during the international break to keep us up to speed.

We should have won that, make no mistake but make the mistakes we did at this level and your punished even by a team low on confidence like Spartak. I’m gutted and didn’t think getting beat away in Russia in the Europa Group Stsges would feel like that, that’s a measure of our progress in such a small time.

Yes, players could have been better on the night but we have more then enough to put it right against Villarreal and Rapid.

Its true though

He also played a belter of a pass for the goal but i really think we should have brought halliday on at half time

Goldson's at fault for a goal, Candeias is at fault for a goal, Flanagan's at fault for a goal, the midfield should shut the boy down quicker for the 4th (and how we lost a goal straight from our kick off anyway I don't know).

I don't think Flanagan's been great recently (hard time vs Mackay Steven at Hampden, Kilmarnock's goal came from Greg Stewart cutting in on to his left foot from the right flank) but defensively it was a bit of a mess and there's no point focusing just on Flanagan imo.

You also have to concede that in Popov, Luiz Adriano, etc Spartak clearly have some good attacking players; certainly better than the standard of player we're used to coming up against domestically.

Criticism of the performance is way over the top. Management team saw an opportunity to exploit Spartaks weaknesses and went for it as the 3 goals prove. What we couldn't have legislated for was the basic errors at 2 of the goals and a calamity of a 4th.

Neither Candeias or Tav picking up runners at the back post for their first (where have we seen that before), or Flanagan playing a suicidal ball into the middle of the park when all he needed to do was clear his lines.

Teams at this level generally take opportunities. Teams at SPFL level by comparison don't. As SG has alluded to players who can't do what he wants from them in big games will be shipped out.

Goldson's at fault for a goal, Candeias is at fault for a goal, Flanagan's at fault for a goal, the midfield should shut the boy down quicker for the 4th (and how we lost a goal straight from our kick off anyway I don't know).

I don't think Flanagan's been great recently (hard time vs Mackay Steven at Hampden, Kilmarnock's goal came from Greg Stewart cutting in on to his left foot from the right flank) but defensively it was a bit of a mess and there's no point focusing just on Flanagan imo.

You also have to concede that in Popov, Luiz Adriano, etc Spartak clearly have some good attacking players; certainly better than the standard of player we're used to coming up against domestically.
You don't think Tav was at at fault for the third? Well, if you're blaming others and giving him a pass .......
As the guy is shaping to cross it from our left Tav looks at their 'talisman' who's already scored, sees him and another Russkie in the clear just outside the corner of the six yard box and turns away, ignores them. Ball comes over, the guy who Tav should be stopping getting a jump at the ball has a free header and it's a goal. All he had to do was stop the guy getting a free header.
How many goals do we lose because he can't defend his post?

You don't think Tav was at at fault for the third? Well, if you're blaming others and giving him a pass .......
As the guy is shaping to cross it from our left Tav looks at their 'talisman' who's already scored, sees him and another Russkie in the clear just outside the corner of the six yard box and turns away, ignores them. Ball comes over, the guy who Tav should be stopping getting a jump at the ball has a free header and it's a goal. All he had to do was stop the guy getting a free header.

All the goals we concede are either screamers, set pieces, or moves in which our left back gets beaten, the ball goes in and Tav gets caught napping.

It's been happening for years.

Andy Halliday this season is 10x the player he was last season for you to not recognize that he's in a good run of form is hilarious!

I appreciate Moscow have a huge budget and a team full of multi million pound players but sometimes in football that doesn't matter they were there for the taking tonight if we had been more solid and compact we could of stopped the two quick goals.

He’s done ok but he’s probably the most limited player in the squad, the fact that people think he should be starting games simply highlights the lack of quality available to the manager.

Not really, if Flanagan just hoofed it clear rather than playing a stupid pass to Ejaria the 3rd doesn't happen.

Defensively I thought Tav was probably the best out our back 4 tonight.

Bad result but defending apart thought he did well in a hard away game.

Goal getting chopped killed us.

Have to say it Ejaria was once again a man short.

Back