Pena ready to resume his Rangers career

Recoba

Official Ticketer
Carlos Pena breaks silence on Rangers return and says he is ready to pick up Ibrox career
Mexican midfielder has spent 2018 back in his homeland on loan but is returning to Scotland after Club Necaxa ended his deal early.

By
Record Sport Online
  • 08:21, 13 NOV 2018

Loaded: 0%

Progress: 0%
-0:10
Click for Sound
WATCH NEXTCarlos Pena 'very close' to Rangers exit amid rumours of reunion with Pedro Caixinha

WATCH NEXT
St Johnstone 0 Rangers 3 as enigmatic Carlos Pena hits double to down ten man Saints in Perth - 3 talking points
Get Rangers updates directly to your inbox
See our privacy noticeMore newsletters
Carlos Pena insists he is ready to return to Rangersafter a trouble-hit 10-month spell in Mexico.

The Mexican misfit posted a video on social media this morning confirming he is on his way back to Ibrox where he will "explore his options".

Pena has spent 2018 back in his homeland on loan at Cruz Azul and latterly Club Necaxa.

But the 28-year-old, signed by former Rangers boss Pedro Caixinha in the summer of 2017 for £2.2m, has endured a trouble-hit year and is heading back to Scotland after Necaxa decided to end his loan spell two months early.

Cruz-Azul-v-Pumas-UNAM-Torneo-Clausura-2018-Liga-MX.jpg

(Image: Getty Images South America)
Pena posted a video on Twitter earlier which was translated by journalist Francisco Montes.

Montes said: "Gullit" Peña G27Gullit, thanks ClubNecaxa and clarifies that his departure from the Ags team was in the best terms.

"For now he is ready for his return to RangersFC, with whom he has a contract of one-and-a-half years or explore options."

gp27

✔@G27Gullit

#gp27
1f44a.png
1f4aa.png
26bd.png

11:10 PM - Nov 12, 2018

282 people are talking about this

Twitter Ads info and privacy

Caixinha returned to Ibrox to sign Pena on loan in January, taking him to Cruz Azul on a season-long loan.

But the player was sacked by the Mexico City club, following a series of embarrassing off-field, alcohol-related incidents.

Pena voluntarily checked himself into the Baja el Sol rehabilitation clinic, owned by boxing legend Julio Cesar Chavez, in the Mexican state of Sinaloa in a bid to recover from his alcohol addiction.

Screen-Shot-2018-07-16-at-082210.png

(Image: Carlos Pena/Instagram)
Pena checked out two weeks early after insisting he was clean, then Necaxa then took over his loan from Crux Azul and Pena was supposed to be there until January.

He was warned this is his last chance in football by Necaxa president Erneston Tinajero.

But having not even featured in the last two match squads and having made only five appearances since he joined his new club, Necaxa have decided to cut their losses.

Caixinha last week backed the player to take his second chance at Ibrox.

Rangers misfit Carlos Pena can still become Ibrox hero insists Pedro Caixinha
He said: “I hope that when Carlos goes back to Scotland, he can recover his career.

“He is still not yet 30 and has plenty of time to still have a great career.

“Carlos has tremendous football potential and he’s a great person. He deserves better and if he asks me for any advice about going back to Rangers I will happily give him some."

That photo doesn’t fill me with hope, he looks doughy, bleary eyed. Give him the full preseason from now through January. He either comes through it and has a chance or fails to meet his contractual obligations and is sacked.

I think that Gerrard will give him a chance. he will probably sit him down and tell him if he works hard over the next 2 months till January he has every chance of playing.

Its totally up to Pena at this point I think.

There is a player in there, we all know it, he had a good scoring record when he was unfit and half cut.

I just can't see him knuckling down though, i would be delighted if he proves me wrong.

He’ll probably get a few weeks training back with us for gerrard to make his own judgement.

Who’d have thought Halliday would’ve played so much and been so reliable for us this season. That’s all thanks to Gerrard ignoring the noise and giving Andy a chance on the pre-season trip.

I suspect Pena will get a similar chance. Whether he’ll seize the opportunity or not - who knows!

I like to see Gerrard try and work his magic on him, similar to what he has done with Morelos and Halliday.

Who knows, most folk had Morelos written of before Gerrard got hold of him.
Yeah agree here he could be good given a chance he needs to want it tho.............

Last edited:
Well if we’re paying him the guts of 30k a week and can’t get rid then we’d be a bit daft not to try and get him fit enough to consider him as an option.

It seems enormously unlikely we'll ever see him on the park for us again, but you never know. There is no doubting he is a very good footballer. It's whether or not he can ditch his drinking, partying, bad attitude, laziness, selfishness and bad influences.

As much as I'd love him to and think were he properly at it he would thrive playing in this team just behind Morelos, I highly doubt he has it in him.

While he's got a contract we can't just give up on him, if there's anyone who can help a midfielder turn it all round it's Gerrard.

This isn't as simple as just give him £1m or £1.5m and pay him off. We can ill afford just throwing that kind of money away.

So, if he's back, he's back. I wont be getting hysterical about it. Who knows, he may surprise us by being much improved. Doubt it, but we need to give him a chance to orove it or not.

Then, it really depends if failing to turn up for matches and training, turning up pished at matches and training, or wiping your arse on club gear are breaches of contract. One would hope so, or our contract solicitors need carpeted.

I like to see Gerrard try and work his magic on him, similar to what he has done with Morelos and Halliday.

Who knows, most folk had Morelos written of before Gerrard got hold of him.
Morelos? Some doubted his temperament, but written him off?

I'll be amazed if Pena comes back and impresses Gerrard with his efforts in training and his lifestyle in general. I'm all for second chances and if he can turn things around then great, but I have serious doubts.

Pound for pound our worst ever signing.
Hard to disagree with that and yet...

You could see it in small flashes, there is a player there, a good player. Someone who would give us something we dont have. I just dont think he can come back, mentally fucked with the partying.

Shame.

I hope if he gets a chance he grabs it. Would love to see him ripping it up for some reason.

We really need a No10 / not convinced he is the right man however SG may want to bring him in and let him have a good few weeks training.

Stranger things have happened.....

I doubt he’ll amount to anything at Rangers but would be delighted to be proven wrong.

Pound for pound our worst ever signing.

Given the fee and wages paid, and the fact he was released with us receiving not a farthing, I 'd say Kanchelskis trumps him.

At least we got the guts of £6-£7million back for Flo.

And that is before Prodan comes into question.

He will be here till January, lets just see how he gets on.

If he's not pulling his weight in training then we'll know soon enough.

Won’t kick a ball for us .

Will come back , and probably take a payout of around 6 months of his 18 month deal .

We won’t see him in first team action for us again and I can guarantee it.

It’s pity because he showed in glimpses especially against Aberdeen at Ibrox and St Johnstone away he has ability.

Defo put him through a strict training and monitoring regime

Urine, hair and blood tests everyday to measure any dodgy substances

If he fails then he’s sacked and contract ripped up
Thats victimisation. We wouldnt have a leg to stand on if he went to the players union. I would be exploring cutting our losses, three clubs in a row hes made a mess of it.

If he comes back and knuckles down amd bangs in a few inportant goals he will have the backing of the support no question about that

However carry on the way he has before he can gtf

Guy needs to publicly apologise for wiping the coke off his beak with a pair of our shorts.
Absolute nonsense. He was covering his mouth while talking to his agent, as all players seem to do these days.
If he was going to make a gesture like wiping his nose on our kit, it would have been clear and undeniable.

Wether his return is good or bad, this non story needs put to bed now. We’ve had worse players than him over the years, who took higher wages and scored less. If he manages to turn it round under Gerrard’s guidance, he should be given the chance to do so without made up nonsense haunting him through the process.

Back