Copa Libertadores 2018

Noticed this as well:

The head of security for the Buenos Aires city government had resigned this afternoon, unsurprisingly.

Source: @CARP_English

Oscar Ruggeri tells of conversation with Tevez: apparently the Conmebol doctors came into the Boca dressing room with cortisone injections encouraging the players to take them in order to play - and not to worry of any anti-doping concerns, this would be ignored in light of the circumstances.

If Conmebol had acted differently on Saturday, we may not be in such a position.

There are rumours that Angelici (Boca President) has video evidence that the bus was attacked when entering the stadium as well.

TV in Argentina reporting that CONMEBOL want to play the game on December 8th in Asuncion.

That will go down well.

Daniel Angelici (Boca President) in Asunción: "I'm here to listen, I'm not going to agree to anything."

Expect Boca to appeal any decision other than them being given a win.

Daniel Angelici (Boca President) in Asunción: "I'm here to listen, I'm not going to agree to anything."

Expect Boca to appeal any decision other than them being given a win.

I may be wrong but I’m under the impression today’s meeting is about setting a date for the game.

The disciplinary committee will subsequently meet to set the punishment.

Given Boca’s stance this will inevitably drag on.

I see Tapia is in attendance at the meeting offering his words of conciliation...

I may be wrong but I’m under the impression today’s meeting is about setting a date for the game.

The disciplinary committee will subsequently meet to set the punishment.

Given Boca’s stance this will inevitably drag on.

I see Tapia is in attendance at the meeting offering his words of conciliation...

But if they set a date (and venue) then they saying that Boca wont get the punishment they want: a walkover. That being the case I imagine they would appeal - they have to do this to appease their fans.

There’s no advantage from the first leg. Having a one-off game at a neutral venue seems the fairest option.

Surely there has to be a consequence for River?

It doesn't sit with me that they could get potentially kicked out for fans causing trouble outside of the stadium.

Someone mentioned on reddit, the bus incident happened 10 blocks from the stadium.

To hold it in neutral venue in Argentina would be mental

They'd have to have both sets of fans there

What could possibly go wrong

If it is the 9th then it will probably be in Paraguay. On the 8th then it could be anywhere apart from Argentina or Paraguay.

No decision has been made as to whether River will be allowed fans at the game.

Boca will probably appeal this decision as thy want a walkover.

Boca president Daniel Angelici speaking to the press: "We don't accept playing any game, in 2015 we were disqualified for the same. There are precedents for what we are requesting & so we wait calmly for the outcome of the tribunal."

But if they set a date (and venue) then they saying that Boca wont get the punishment they want: a walkover. That being the case I imagine they would appeal - they have to do this to appease their fans.

They're saying, though, this is subject to the decision of the Disciplinary Committee.

Boca trying to claim this is the same as 2015 is utter pish.

On that occasion the Boca fans attacked the River players directly within the stadium with Pepper spray. This occasion the pepper spray was from the police so they cannot use that as a comparison.

They are acting like tims using that excuse.

ha, what a face. Tired of this now.

One team in particular behaving like one team in particular closer to home

You're right... a team getting away with playing an ineligible player; their manager brazenly ignoring a touchline ban; authorities doing nothing while handing out severe penalties to other teams during this tournament and now fans attacking opposition players.

And yet they're the victims...

It would be outrageous if this game was played anywhere other than the Monumental.

Blatant victim-hood skulduggery at play here.

Give them nothing, River :D

You're right... a team getting away with playing an ineligible player; their manager brazenly ignoring a touchline ban; authorities doing nothing while handing out severe penalties to other teams during this tournament and now fans attacking opposition players.

And yet they're the victims...

I know you are partly at the windup but I still can't get why people (all Boca fans) keep casting up Zuculini?

For those not aware: River sent CONMEBOL a letter, prior to the tournament, requesting details of which players were suspended for the opening match(es)? CONMEBOL replied with a list of players unavailable. Zuculini wasn't on the list. This was a CONMEBOL cock up (again) not a River attempt at gaining an advantage.

Gallardo/River got punished for what he did.

As for the comparison between the Boca and River incidents. I don't see it. What happened in the Bombonera was pre-planned. Fans took pepper spray into the ground and had to break the tunnel to use the spray. The incidents with the Boca bus were spontanious. Not saying this is acceptable, but it happens, not infrequently in Argentina - the River bus was attacked by Boca fans, the River bus was attacked by Lanus fans at last year's semi-final etc.....

I undertand what Boca are doing. And I understand why they feel aggrieved. Ultimately, though, I think they should play the game and River should get a big fine/play games behind closed doors next season etc... (and AFA/the police should improve security for big games as it was shambolic).

:)

This has been a huge farce but you have to say, the next time Boca play River i bet the viewing figures will be through the roof.

No publicity is bad publicity and all that.

It’ll be held at the piggery. After Brendan O Bumlove attended this fixture and had the whole stadium chanting Selllteeeck like some peace keeping fookwit

This has been a huge farce but you have to say, the next time Boca play River i bet the viewing figures will be through the roof.

No publicity is bad publicity and all that.

If they play it in Dubai to a crowd of European ex-pats or behind closed doors no-one will watch though.

Neutrals in general aren’t watching this for the football.
It’s for the mayhem, the passion and the reaction.

To play this match outside Argentina is just ludicrous.
To be honest this whole thing has gone from feverish excitement to rolling eyed tedium now.
A real shame IMO.

⚠️UPDATE

• Asunción is apparently out of the recognition of possible hosts for the CL finals game.

New front runners:
Miami and Doha

[per @Cynegeticus]

The woman caught strapping flares to her child has now been identified and arrested.

Following on from Saturday, there's debate about fan behaviour and memories of other 'classic' moments, such as when fans of Chacarita stole a fire hose:

This was also the support who took an elephant from a local circus and tried to 'sneak' it into the ground...
This was also the support who took an elephant from a local circus and tried to 'sneak' it into the ground...

I've only just recently got myself involved in Argentinian Football and all the mentalness that goes with it but this takes the biscuit!

I’ve lost any interest in this game now , if it’s not played at monumental in front of the home fans then the games a bogey .

Playing it in Dubai or suchlike will have the feeling of a pre season friendly with virtually zero fans , a farce .

Just bored of it now . The excitement is lost .

I know you are partly at the windup but I still can't get why people (all Boca fans) keep casting up Zuculini?

For those not aware: River sent CONMEBOL a letter, prior to the tournament, requesting details of which players were suspended for the opening match(es)? CONMEBOL replied with a list of players unavailable. Zuculini wasn't on the list. This was a CONMEBOL cock up (again) not a River attempt at gaining an advantage.

Gallardo/River got punished for what he did.

As for the comparison between the Boca and River incidents.

I undertand what Boca are doing. And I understand why they feel aggrieved. Ultimately, though, I think they should play the game and River should get a big fine/play games behind closed doors next season etc... (and AFA/the police should improve security for big games as it was shambolic).

Oddly, CONMEBOL didn't extend their administrative error to Santos when they played Carlos Sanchez - the opposition were awarded a 3-0 win. CONMEBOL tried to suggest it was because Racing didn't submit a complaint within 24 hours.

I guess, though, it's easier to overturn one game than the seven matches Zuculini was involved in.

Gallardo received a further 2 game ban plus a $50,000 fine. That's hardly a punishment! No wonder he didn't give a shit about the initial ban when the consequences are nominal. 1-0 down at half-time - do River head out without his involvement at the interval?

2015-2017 are comparable in outcome - players incapacitated and unable to play due to hooliganism. I don't recall River suggesting the game should be replayed.

Boca were thrown out of the competition within 2 days of the incident. A $200,000 fine, closed stadium for 4 Copa games as well as away fans banned from traveling.

In this instance, we had CONMEBOL trying to force the game ahead on Saturday. Little wonder it leaves a very poor taste for Boca.

Closed doors for River next season is an ineffectual punishment. I'm not sure I agree with their disqualification but moving the game from the Monumental seems just.

Oddly, CONMEBOL didn't extend their administrative error to Santos when they played Carlos Sanchez - the opposition were awarded a 3-0 win. CONMEBOL tried to suggest it was because Racing didn't submit a complaint within 24 hours.

I guess, though, it's easier to overturn one game than the seven matches Zuculini was involved in.

Gallardo received a further 2 game ban plus a $50,000 fine. That's hardly a punishment! No wonder he didn't give a shit about the initial ban when the consequences are nominal. 1-0 down at half-time - do River head out without his involvement at the interval?

2015-2017 are comparable in outcome - players incapacitated and unable to play due to hooliganism. I don't recall River suggesting the game should be replayed.

Boca were thrown out of the competition within 2 days of the incident. A $200,000 fine, closed stadium for 4 Copa games as well as away fans banned from traveling.

In this instance, we had CONMEBOL trying to force the game ahead on Saturday. Little wonder it leaves a very poor taste for Boca.

Closed doors for River next season is an ineffectual punishment. I'm not sure I agree with their disqualification but moving the game from the Monumental seems just.

The difference between Santos and River were that the latter actually wrote to CONMEBOL to check (and had written confirmation of doing so). As far as I'm aware Santos didn't - they apparently checked the new online system. CONMEBOL stuffed up but I don't see how this can be used to attack River. If we received written confirmation that a player was available and later discovered UEFA had made the mistake I wouldn't expect us to be punished.

2 games extra and 50K is an additional punishment. Whilst the additional punishment could have been more severe I don't expect River (or any other club) to be thrown out due to this.

There is a difference, in any crime, if it is planned or spontaneous. That is why there is variability in sentencing when the result may be the same.

I get that River will and deserve to be punished. I disagree that the punishment should be a walkover.

The difference between Santos and River were that the latter actually wrote to CONMEBOL to check (and had written confirmation of doing so). As far as I'm aware Santos didn't - they apparently checked the new online system. CONMEBOL stuffed up but I don't see how this can be used to attack River. If we received written confirmation that a player was available and later discovered UEFA had made the mistake I wouldn't expect us to be punished.

I wouldn't expect to be punished either. Yet Santos, who checked the online system in good faith, were. It's the double standards - or what appears to be. But maybe it's just a coincidence how things turn out for River...

Back