Copa Libertadores 2018

According to No todo pasa programme on TyC the preferred options for CONMEBOL are:

1. Dec 8 or 9 in Doha with supporters.

2. In Asuncion behind closed doors.

No idea how true..

According to No todo pasa programme on TyC the preferred options for CONMEBOL are:

1. Dec 8 or 9 in Doha with supporters.

2. In Asuncion behind closed doors.

No idea how true..

I'd be extremely disappointed if it ends up in Doha. At least keep it in South America.

They should send the winners of the Copa Sudamericana to the World Club Championship.

⚠️UPDATE

• Asunción is apparently out of the recognition of possible hosts for the CL finals game.

New front runners:
Miami and Doha

[per @Cynegeticus]

It should be held in South America, but surely of those two Miami makes far more sense than fucking Doha?!

The difference between Santos and River were that the latter actually wrote to CONMEBOL to check (and had written confirmation of doing so). As far as I'm aware Santos didn't - they apparently checked the new online system. CONMEBOL stuffed up but I don't see how this can be used to attack River. If we received written confirmation that a player was available and later discovered UEFA had made the mistake I wouldn't expect us to be punished.

2 games extra and 50K is an additional punishment. Whilst the additional punishment could have been more severe I don't expect River (or any other club) to be thrown out due to this.

There is a difference, in any crime, if it is planned or spontaneous. That is why there is variability in sentencing when the result may be the same.

I get that River will and deserve to be punished. I disagree that the punishment should be a walkover.

I hesitate to wade in as I don’t feel I know enough of the detail re this incident or previous incidents but your post seems absolutely spot on to me.

In a way this whole episode speaks to the untamed madness of Argieball you and BB have conveyed in the other thread but it’s really sad it’s come to this in what would have been a unprecedented fixture.

The RP fans who were involved have to take responsibility but there are idiots all over. You just think had the authorities put some decent security arrangements in place we would have had a great game of football on Saturday with the aggro confined to the park between the players.

Yawwwn.....is this non event still being discussed ? Zero credibility and zero interest now.

They bottled it from playing the game in monumental , everything else now is a farcical let down damp squib . The game will be awful .

Let’s forget about it, nobody is bothered now.

Yawwwn.....is this non event still being discussed ? Zero credibility and zero interest now.

They bottled it from playing the game in monumental , everything else now is a farcical let down damp squib . The game will be awful .

A non-event? You’d struggle to find more of an event in football.

Granted, it has turned into a farce which is the norm with CONMEBOL and Argieball.

Some would argue that it’s even more of an event now, everyone in world football has spoken about it.

You're so not bothered by it that you keep posting in the thread.

Bore off if you have no interest.

I hesitate to wade in as I don’t feel I know enough of the detail re this incident or previous incidents but your post seems absolutely spot on to me.

In a way this whole episode speaks to the untamed madness of Argieball you and BB have conveyed in the other thread but it’s really sad it’s come to this in what would have been a unprecedented fixture.

The RP fans who were involved have to take responsibility but there are idiots all over. You just think had the authorities put some decent security arrangements in place we would have had a great game of football on Saturday with the aggro confined to the park between the players.

I'd imagine the security arrangements were the same for both legs.
I know the River bus was attacked too, but clearly not anything that would have required more security or we would have seen it.

Obviously the security was adequate for a furst leg to have been played.

I'd be extremely disappointed if it ends up in Doha. At least keep it in South America.

They should send the winners of the Copa Sudamericana to the World Club Championship.
Should punish River regardless to play in that monstrosity of a tournament....minus the FIFA sponsorship ££ of course

To be honest I don't think River Plate should be punished for events that happened away from the stadium. The club has no authority there and safety is down to the police.

If events occurred inside the stadium that's a different matter.

Disciplinary Committee will return their verdict tomorrow. It was initially expected today. Three person panel, one of whom gave the game to River in 2015.. This panel also threw out Gremio claims against River earlier in the tournament.

The panel usually has 5 members. The Argentine rep has stepped away and oddly the Brazilian member was also asked to sit out (he would have voted for the removal of River, apparently, in accordance with support from the Brazil FA).

Several Brazilian clubs had joined with Boca President Angelici in early 2016 in an attempt to form the a rival tournament and organisation to Conmebol - as well as negotiating better economic deals for the Copa Libertadores.

From a Brazilian perspective, this is why they don't get decisions from Conmebol.

At the time, there was a strong coalition of clubs and it was agreed that Angelici would lead the new organisation. One team backtracked from the agreement... River.

It's worth noting for all of the politics going on around the decision.

Last edited:
Don't know how much, but apparently Qatar are offering a lot of money to stage the Libertaodre second leg between River and Boca.

I just think it is a crying shame if this game is played without fans.

Surely somebody will have the sense to realise that the reason the entire world wants to see this is BECAUSE of the fans, not in spite of them.

If truth be told, the quality of football is similar to CL group stages, if the first leg I watched is anything to go by. However, the fans set it well apart from almost anything you'd see in Europe.

Playing this second leg without fans would be like having to keep your clothes on riding Jessica Alba :D

I just think it is a crying shame if this game is played without fans.

Surely somebody will have the sense to realise that the reason the entire world wants to see this is BECAUSE of the fans, not in spite of them.

If truth be told, the quality of football is similar to CL group stages, if the first leg I watched is anything to go by. However, the fans set it well apart from almost anything you'd see in Europe.

Playing this second leg without fans would be like having to keep your clothes on riding Jessica Alba :D
Playing this game either in an empty stadium or a stadium on the other side of the world means probably the same thing...the magic of the event just isn't there anymore.
It really is now a Hobsons Choice situation where nobody is going to be satisfied.
My lad has a few students in BA who have tickets for the final in Estadio Monumental and they're absolutely inconsolable!...they had tickets but now there's no way they'll now get to see probably the biggest game in their lives!
I really feel for the regular normal fans that have now been denied the opportunity to see their club win the biggest match in their entire history.
:(

Playing this game either in an empty stadium or a stadium on the other side of the world means probably the same thing...the magic of the event just isn't there anymore.
It really is now a Hobsons Choice situation where nobody is going to be satisfied.
My lad has a few students in BA who have tickets for the final in Estadio Monumental and they're absolutely inconsolable!...they had tickets but now there's no way they'll now get to see probably the biggest game in their lives!
I really feel for the regular normal fans that have now been denied the opportunity to see their club win the biggest match in their entire history.
:(

I wonder if it will result in a change in the attitudes of ordinary fans/clubs towards the barra bravas.

I wonder if it will result in a change in the attitudes of ordinary fans/clubs towards the barra bravas.

You will know better me but I always found it 50/50 with regards the bb.

For those not aware, the BB are really criminal gangs than glorified fans. As well a controlling parking, stalls outside the ground, they are given a number of tickets for resale, etc.......they also control drugs at the ground. An example of how many tickets they get given are that for the recent (non) second leg, a police raid found 250 tickets in a house belonging to the BB. At black market prices that's worth $625,000.

In addition to this they have links to political parties which means there is lack of interest in stopping the problem.

River President Rodolfo D'Onofrio held a rather feisty press conference earlier:

1. Accusing Angelici (Boca Pres.) of going back on his word;

2. Urging Boca players not to be afraid of playing the game;

3. And asking Argentine President Macri to intervene and bring players and staff from both teams together for a 'peace meeting' and photo shoot - to show the world that Argentina can organise a football match.

He also mentioned that Saturday's incidents were nothing to do with River, though he failed to answer why 300 tickets got into the hands of the barras.

You will know better me but I always found it 50/50 with regards the bb.

For those not aware, the BB are really criminal gangs than glorified fans. As well a controlling parking, stalls outside the ground, they are given a number of tickets for resale, etc.......they also control drugs at the ground. An example of how many tickets they get given are that for the recent (non) second leg, a police raid found 250 tickets in a house belonging to the BB. At black market prices that's worth $625,000.

In addition to this they have links to political parties which means there is lack of interest in stopping the problem.

I think it's a case of everyone turning a blind eye, enjoying the 'colour' and atmosphere while ignoring the criminality. The majority weren't going to be affected or have much interaction with them. And the origins of the groups still holds a certain 'romance' - protectors of the players/club as they traveled away from home.

Is Saturday a tipping point?

Clarin newspaper has an opinion piece stating the game should proceed in BA and that it should not be lost to the violence of a minority. It's an increasingly common response as the days pass and a game in Doha looms.

I think it's a case of everyone turning a blind eye, enjoying the 'colour' and atmosphere while ignoring the criminality. The majority weren't going to be affected or have much interaction with them. And the origins of the groups still holds a certain 'romance' - protectors of the players/club as they traveled away from home.

Is Saturday a tipping point?

Clarin newspaper has an opinion piece stating the game should proceed in BA and that it should not be lost to the violence of a minority. It's an increasingly common response as the days pass and a game in Doha looms.

Also, doesn't look good for the World Cup bid if they can't play a game of this magnitude.

River President Rodolfo D'Onofrio held a rather feisty press conference earlier:

Following on from this, D'Onofrio has now apologised to Boca President Angelici for a few of his comments.

Boca have released a statement asking fans to avoid confrontations and not to respond to provocations. They've submitted additional material to CONMEBOL which apparently includes video evidence of the attack near and in the stadium.

Last edited:
The latest location to be linked with hosting the Superclasico is Madrid's Bernabeu. FIFA apparently want this, but CONMEBOL aren't as keen. This may change if enough money is thrown at the proposition.

DtLbmhHXQAA559M.jpg:large

The latest location to be linked with hosting the Superclasico is Madrid's Bernabeu. FIFA apparently want this, but CONMEBOL aren't as keen. This may change if enough money is thrown at the proposition.

If they're taking the game out of South America, then this is highly preferable to Doha or Miami. There's a decent sized Argentine population in Spain and throughout Europe and there's easy travel between the countries. It's also a football nation.

CONEMBOL will be pretty pissed off that they had to meet each other in a two legged final rather than next season when its a one off at a neutral venue.

CONEMBOL will be pretty pissed off that they had to meet each other in a two legged final rather than next season when its a one off at a neutral venue.

Not so sure about this. Can you imagine the carnage in Santiago and en route with fans of Boca and River travelling to the game.

Not so sure about this. Can you imagine the carnage in Santiago and en route with fans of Boca and River travelling to the game.

One game in neutral venue would have been easier to police than two games in Buenos Aires surely? Doubt the governing bodies would care about trouble away from the ground. It would have been easier to keep the players safe and thus the game being played.

Two games instead of one means more money and coverage. I'm sure they were delighted. Unfortunately security failure led to the current situation.

One game in neutral venue would have been easier to police than two games in Buenos Aires surely? Doubt the governing bodies would care about trouble away from the ground. It would have been easier to keep the players safe and thus the game being played.

I understand in hindsight it looks that way, but I think Boca and River fans travelling to Santiago would a logistical nightmare. The potential for serious trouble would be huge.

With no away fans, due to it being two legs, this should have been relatively easy to manage. That the police were incompetent, in how they secured the route, only goes to highlight what can happen. Can you imagine the number of police required to manage the situation if both sets of fans were at the same stadium (and surrounding areas)?

I understand in hindsight it looks that way, but I think Boca and River fans travelling to Santiago would a logistical nightmare. The potential for serious trouble would be huge.

With no away fans, due to it being two legs, this should have been relatively easy to manage. That the police were incompetent, in how they secured the route, only goes to highlight what can happen. Can you imagine the number of police required to manage the situation if both sets of fans were at the same stadium (and surrounding areas)?

You're a lot closer to me mate so you will be right, and yeah it is easy looking at it with hindsight. Sch a shame what has happened, this was genuinely one of the biggest matches of all time now it's a complete farce.

Is Argentinian football still heavily corrupt? I'm sure that wont make things easier.

Potentially destroying a World Cup bid and the embarassment of three call offs, aye going well :D

The first game passed without incident (there's little you can do about severe weather) - and there hasn't been any significant issues between the clubs recently which included a cup final in a neutral venue earlier this year.

If police do their job correctly on Saturday, we have a game.

You're a lot closer to me mate so you will be right, and yeah it is easy looking at it with hindsight. Sch a shame what has happened, this was genuinely one of the biggest matches of all time now it's a complete farce.

Is Argentinian football still heavily corrupt? I'm sure that wont make things easier.

There is still corruption in Argentinian football but I don't think it is as bad as when Grondona was President of AFA. He was taped saying to a club that if they didn't do his bidding he would stop tv monies going to them and have refs look at them less favourably. Even though this was made public there was never any chance of anything being done to him. He died in 2014.

A funny aside (to an outsider): When they voted for his replacement there was an electorate of 75. The result finished 38-38. :D

Latest Copa Libertadores-update:

Doha no longer seems to be the clear cut favorite for the City to arrange the 2nd leg. Now it's Madrid and Estádio Santiago Bernabeu that's the front runner

Source: @RiverPlateNor

Boca President Daniel Angelici met with the players and the coaching staff this morning.

Following the meeting, Olé newspaper report the players/manager will play the game, if ordered to. One of the concerns is how harsh the penalties would be if they didn't.

Back