Steven Davis

Davis is exactly the midfielder we need in that team. I remember when we signed him, he made Ferguson look average almost immediately in every match he played. He still has it and even if we get three seasons out of him then it is a no brainier. I don’t see another loan kid firing us to the title. We need a player like Davis.

Well that's comment about Ferguson is just nonsense, Davis had good games, he had decent games but he also had a lot of average games and some where he just went missing, Barry was head and shoulders above him most of the time and scored/made more goals.
I'm still not sure what a player "like Davis" actually means, what would he bring that we don't have already ?

Well that's comment about Ferguson is just nonsense, Davis had good games, he had decent games but he also had a lot of average games and some where he just went missing, Barry was head and shoulders above him most of the time and scored/made more goals.
I'm still not sure what a player "like Davis" actually means, what would he bring that we don't have already ?
Barry Ferguson was a much better player and leader than Davis ever was/is

The obsession for davis is weird on this thread IMO. Give me a 6”3 box to box midfielder over him and day of the week. Hopefully a midfielder that can actually shoot or turn on the ball and go by someone, create space, get a shot off.
That's exactly what we need.We are not any where strong enough in the midfield,nor good enough overall that we can afford to have a no10 or luxury player in the team.We tried this to a degree with the young Arsenal loanee and Kranjar and the teams weren't strong enough to carry that type of player

I just hope Hughes getting the sack doesn’t hinder our chances of capturing Davies come January .

Would be a great player for us and just what we need .

I'm away to watch another sport as not wanting Davis (nice guy etc.) means I know nothing about the game. :confused::)

giphy.gif

Of all the players out there, aye he's the one we should be looking at. o_O

I want us signing younger, hungrier and more dynamic.

Steven Davis would command a minimum million a year in wages so for a year and a half, that would be £2 million (signing on fee and bonuses) for a fella who will leave for nothing/retire maybe in 2020 at the age of 35.

For £2 million and given the players our manager has signed for less, we could actually sign a player who would make us our money back and a profit.

This is the road we should be on.

I'm away to watch another sport as not wanting Davis (nice guy etc.) means I know nothing about the game. :confused::)

giphy.gif

Steven Davis would command a minimum million a year in wages so for a year and a half, that would be £2 million (signing on fee and bonuses) for a fella who will leave for nothing/retire maybe in 2020 at the age of 35.

For £2 million and given the players our manager has signed for less, we could actually sign a player who would make us our money back and a profit.

Can't get the love in for Davis at all.

He's miles better than what we have its a no brainer to try sign him
Exactly who would you rather have in the midfield Davis or ejaria/coulibaly?
Aye but a don’t want a 33 year old is all I hear even though he is better than out 20/23 year olds

I see where you're coming from but it's not as easy at it sounds. We've spunked way more than £2 million in the past few years looking for players like this and it turned out to be a bad signing in the end. I certainly trust Stevie more than the past few managers to deliver us better players for less money right enough but I feel Davis would be a 'safe' signing for us.

giphy.gif

I would like most of my team to be how you suggested but you do need some older experienced players especially in the midfield.
If we could get him on loan for 6 months it’s a no brainer

The obsession for davis is weird on this thread IMO. Give me a 6”3 box to box midfielder over him and day of the week. Hopefully a midfielder that can actually shoot or turn on the ball and go by someone, create space, get a shot off.

The McLeish way of thinking.... Hamed Namouchi ahead of wee Tam Buffel……

Creativity is what we lacked last night, not height.

Southampton supporters in general like him but mostly agree his best days are past . I liked him first time round but for the outlay we would need to spend on him for a couple of seasons its not worth it for me.

Im not expecting Davis to be an all action midfielder but he has quality on the ball and will bring a calmness and control to the midfield, it wont solve our creative issues but if you had him and Arfield with one other it would be a decent start.

Agteed. With Jack holding and Arfield doing a power of running off the ball, making decoys and creating space, Davis will thrive picking off defences with the killer passes we've missed so much

The McLeish way of thinking.... Hamed Namouchi ahead of wee Tam Buffel……

Creativity is what we lacked last night, not height.
You can only be creative if the people around you want the same thing, see Grezda when he came on trying different things, balls over the top etc. Aberdeen were set up well got lucky with a set piece and just parked the bus and held on to their lead. Everyone goes on about this creative midfielder that will solve everything, the creative person needs people to actually move into space etc for that to happen.

Yes you stick to the 6”3” player. You are a dinosaur and that’s why so many youngsters are released from pro clubs every year. Re Davis - says it all when he’s straight back in the team once Hughes sacked. We had a bad day at the office last night but results went in our favour. Davis would be a great addition. But you tell me a 6”3” player who is better and I’ll bow to your superior football knowledge. Last thing - you would not take Messi as he’s not 6”3”!

there must be a midfielder out there who isn't scared to take a shot outside the box or who will attempt to drive into the box ....................

I would like most of my team to be how you suggested but you do need some older experienced players especially in the midfield.
If we could get him on loan for 6 months it’s a no brainer

We have 2 experienced midfielders in Murph and Dorrans, both out long term.

I expect Dorrans when fit next season to be the attacking midfielder we are missing at the moment, he will be in his final year of current contract and 31 at that point, 32 when current deal runs out.

If we are after a short term, stop gap fix for 6 months, then Davis will do a job.

If we sign him for longer, that will be 3 x 30 somethings in our squad as Murph turns 30 at the start of next season.

How much more experience do we really need in midfield?

I expect Dorrans when fit next season to be the attacking midfielder we are missing at the moment, he will be in his final year of current contract and 31 at that point, 32 when current deal runs out.

If we are after a short term, stop gap fix for 6 months, then Davis will do a job.

If we sign him for longer, that will be 3 x 30 somethings in our squad as Murph turns 30 at the start of next season.

Look at our previous league winning teams, you’ll find every single one had much more experience than our current side.

There’s more to experience than age too.

Look at our previous league winning teams, you’ll find every single one had much more experience than our current side.

There’s more to experience than age too.

And of those teams, what 34 year olds did we sign?

Ray Wilkins was a fair age, other than he, I'm struggling to think of any.

And of those teams, what 34 year olds did we sign?

Ray Wilkins was a fair age, other than he, I'm struggling to think of any.

Today’s 34 year olds are the 29 year olds of the 80’s and 90’s. We had loads of them.

It’s not just age, it’s proven winners we need, leaders.

Although Dorrans is a good player when fit, the last 3-4 years tells us that he is not someone who can be relied upon. He has had various long term injuries over recent years and that shows no signs of changing. It's very unlikely Dorrans or Murphy will be regular starters next season.

At the moment we are lacking someone who can dictate in midfield. If there's a chance to get Davis in January i'd go for it. He's still looking good at international level. He looks fit and has been fortunate with injuries throughout his career. He probably still has another two and a half years left playing a high level.

Although Dorrans is a good player when fit, the last 3-4 years tells us that he is not someone who can be relied upon. He has had various long term injuries over recent years and that shows no signs of changing. It's very unlikely Dorrans or Murphy will be regular starters next season.

At the moment we are lacking someone who can dictate in midfield. If there's a chance to get Davis in January i'd go for it. He's still looking good at international level. He looks fit and has been fortunate with injuries throughout his career. He probably still has another two and a half years left playing a high level.

You would part with £3 million and upwards for Davis for 2 and a half years?

At 34, he will become more familiar with the treatment table and know it well by 36 when the deal you would offer runs out.

For 3 million, we can do much better and be better off when a younger guys time with us is up and we sell him.

I fear the boat has sailed with Davis, not because of his age or ability but the fact he started last night, and I am sure the new manager at Southampton will see his qualities and want him around

:)

Then by that logic, todays 29 year olds are 24. o_O

Do you work in an African work permit office mate?

Who are the loads of 34 year old mids we signed to win Leagues then?

With developments in sports science players are playing much longer, that is clear everywhere you look. During that era when players hit 30 their days were seen as numbered, simply isnt the case now. Scholes and Giggs played for Man U till they were nearly 40, that would never have happened in the 80s and 90s.

Look at whatever team you like we had experience in central midfield that we are sorely lacking.

Agteed. With Jack holding and Arfield doing a power of running off the ball, making decoys and creating space, Davis will thrive picking off defences with the killer passes we've missed so much

I'm unsure as to what role Davis has been playing for NI but certainly for the last couple of seasons when he's played for Southampton it has been in a much, much deeper role. Indeed he played as a deep-lying midfielder in his return to the side last night. Much the same happened with Dorrans as he got older.

I worry that some are still seeing him as the player he was 7/8 years ago.

A loan deal, if possible, would be a relatively risk-free way to make that assessment. I'd prefer that to signing him outright in January.

With developments in sports science players are playing much longer, that is clear everywhere you look. During that era when players hit 30 their days were seen as numbered, simply isnt the case now. Scholes and Giggs played for Man U till they were nearly 40, that would never have happened in the 80s and 90s.

Look at whatever team you like we had experience in central midfield that we are sorely lacking.

So no other 34 year olds fresh signed and in a Rangers jersey to win leagues?

You did say loads.

Experience is not relative to age, Greg Doc accrued over 100 games with Hamilton at a young age so he has 'experience'.

Lots of players have lots of games at various levels and at younger ages.

Davis' age is a benefit, if anything. He might not have the legs anymore (although I don't believe that's the case), but he's got a guile and know-how that a younger player wont have. Our midfield last night had an average age of 23, with Jack at 26 the player furthest from the opposition goal. Coulibaly and Ejaria might be able to run all day, but we were never creating anything from the middle of the park with those 3. We need players like Davis who can pick a forward pass and open a defence up.

Would immediately be the best most creative midfielder at the club if he signed.
Leads by example

So no other 34 year olds fresh signed and in a Rangers jersey to win leagues?

You did say loads.

Experience is not relative to age, Greg Doc accrued over 100 games with Hamilton at a young age so he has 'experience'.

Lots of players have lots of games at various levels and at younger ages.

I think my point that 34 in this era is the equivalent of 29 during earlier eras is absolutely correct, we had loads of 29-32 year olds in our title winning teams Wilkins, Souness, Butcher, Gough, John Brown, McCall, I Ferguson, Hateley, Amoroso, Porini, Wallace, De Boers, Albertz, Numan, Weir, Prso...

That’s just some from my lifetime.

I think my point that 34 in this era is the equivalent of 29 during earlier eras is absolutely correct, we had loads of 29-32 year olds in our title winning teams Wilkins, Souness, Butcher, Gough, John Brown, McCall, I Ferguson, Hateley, Amoroso, Porini, Wallace, De Boers, Albertz, Numan, Weir, Prso...

That’s just some from my lifetime.

I'm not seeing your logic to justify this signing.

He's 34 and has 2 seasons.

Only player he can be compared against with that level of longevity and in that position is Ray Wilkins.

Frankly, he's no Ray Wilkins.

You would part with £3 million and upwards for Davis for 2 and a half years?

At 34, he will become more familiar with the treatment table and know it well by 36 when the deal you would offer runs out.

For 3 million, we can do much better and be better off when a younger guys time with us is up and we sell him.

He's on a free transfer in the summer. I have no idea how much he will be looking for or what we would be willing to offer. I am judging him as a footballer and still believe he would instantly be our best midfielder despite his age. His experience of winning trophies at our club will also be invaluable as we approach the second half of the season.

I'm not seeing your logic to justify this signing.

He's 34 and has 2 seasons.

Only player he can be compared against with that level of longevity and in that position is Ray Wilkins.

Frankly, he's no Ray Wilkins.

Turns 34 in January, why does he only have 2 seasons if he maintains a good level of fitness?

He’s an excellent player, that’s all the justification needed.

Alex Rae is another league winner, he was about 36 and that was over a decade ago.

So we sign Davis, then it turns out he can't run around like a teenager, or dictate the game the way he rarely did last time. Then what?

I suppose one good thing about the McCoist era, is there were practically no players who are good enough or young enough to come back. Maybe we can start looking forwards

Turns 34 in January, why does he only have 2 seasons if he maintains a good level of fitness?

Alex Rae is another league winner, he was about 36 and that was over a decade ago.
Lee McCulloch. No pace at 30 and little influence on a game

Kris Boyd. Overweight and slow at 29

Ricky Foster. Used to run fast but that was it. Lost his pace these days and offers nothing

Too many of our senior players have been a let down, and treat the club like a pension top up

At present and from recent memory, how many centre mids have 'tore up' the top flight here in their mid 30's?

Alex Rae set nothing alight when here. :)

Yes you stick to the 6”3” player. You are a dinosaur and that’s why so many youngsters are released from pro clubs every year. Re Davis - says it all when he’s straight back in the team once Hughes sacked. We had a bad day at the office last night but results went in our favour. Davis would be a great addition. But you tell me a 6”3” player who is better and I’ll bow to your superior football knowledge. Last thing - you would not take Messi as he’s not 6”3”!
Busquets is 6"3" ish

He's on a free transfer in the summer. I have no idea how much he will be looking for or what we would be willing to offer. I am judging him as a footballer and still believe he would instantly be our best midfielder despite his age. His experience of winning trophies at our club will also be invaluable as we approach the second half of the season.

Aye, 6 months and that's it.

If he's here any longer we go from 1/2 million approx on him to £2 million if he does another season after this.

At present and from recent memory, how many centre mids have 'tore up' the top flight here in their mid 30's?

Alex Rae set nothing alight when here. :)

How many midfielders as good as Davis have played here in recent memory?

Never mind, I’m sure our problems will be solved with another Coulibaly / Ejaria type signing instead.

How many midfielders as good as Davis have played here in recent memory?

Never mind, I’m sure our problems will be solved with another Coulibaly / Ejaria type signing instead.

Why have you got Davis on a pedestal here?

You honestly believe only he will be the signing to win us a league.

That's desperate stuff.

With Hasenhuttl taking over at Southampton, this could be the spark that resurrects Davis' Southampton career.

Saying that, I would really like him return to Ibrox.

Aye, 6 months and that's it.

If he's here any longer we go from 1/2 million approx on him to £2 million if he does another season after this.

You've plucked those figures from thin air. We have no idea what wage he'll be looking for.

Why have you got Davis on a pedestal here?

You honestly believe only he will be the signing to win us a league.

That's desperate stuff.

It would be a massive signing for us, because he’s quality. He’ll run the show for us. It’s a bit bizarre even needing to justify it.

You've plucked those figures from thin air. We have no idea what wage he'll be looking for.

£20,000 a week for 6 months is half a million. Add bonuses and a signing on fee too.

You think he will sign for less, really?

£20,000 a week for 6 months is half a million. Add bonuses and a signing on fee too.

You think he will sign for less, really?

I have absolutely no idea what he'll be looking for and neither do you.

Naismith was on 40k a week at Norwich. Did you expect him to sign for Hearts?

Hearts signed him on loan for the final six months of his contract after agreeing to pay 25% of his wages and then were able to sign him on a free transfer at the end of the season.

I have absolutely no idea what he'll be looking for and neither do you.

Naismith was on 40k a week at Norwich. Did you expect him to sign for Hearts?

Hearts signed him on loan for the final six months of his contract after agreeing to pay 25% of his wages and then were able to sign him on a free transfer at the end of the season.

A right good guess would see him take half a million minimum in 6 months from us and well you know it.

What Hearts can offer and what we would be expected to offer are 2 entirely different things.

He's too old and too dear and not what we need beyond the summer.

If we are desperate in Jan for an aging player, I'm sure we will go for him. ;)

To me you just described many of Davis’s attributes.

The loan dealings could really back fire on us if some of these loanees start to lose interest.

Don’t know the conditions are about having to play loanees hope that is not true!

We need a mix of everybody!!

Couilbaly looked a gem before his injury now he just doesn’t look as confident.Maybe …he doesn’t like the scottish game where the real ball players don’t get much if any protection?

And Ejaria is blowing hot and cold which with this December being so busy with games is the last thing we need!

Whatever it is ……the balance in midfield is not right.

Even Goldson who looked so assured at the beginning is not looking so confident.

The manager is going to have his work cut out managing all these things but will need our backing even more as he calls it the 12th man!

Or in our case …11th seeing we can never keep 11 men on the park for a full game!

Back