4 domestic defeats this season, all by 1-0

dh1963

Parkhead, Livingston and Aberdeen at Hampden and Ibrox.

Does that tell us we struggle to score? League top scorers suggests otherwise.

Maybe we struggle if we go behind? We didn't on Sunday.

Maybe highlights our inconsistency, either we score a few or not at all.

We haven't won any domestic games 1-0 yet.

Maybe tells us when things are tight we don't yet have the extra something winners possess to grind out victory.

Maybe just a coincidence?

When we score we have confidence but the longer we go in games without scoring the more tentative we become. Players snatch at chances or we try to walk the ball in

Maybe tells us when things are tight we don't yet have the extra something winners possess to grind out victory.

"Maybe tells us when things are tight we don't yet have the extra something winners possess to grind out victory."
But the fact that we can somehow grind out results with 10 men kind of contradicts that theory.
We can play like men possessed at times and then turn up like we just couldn't be arsed putting in a bit of effort.
Consistency of performance levels is a big concern for me.

In all of those games we could've played all day and not scored.

We are prone to days like this, that's obvious.

I knew even before Aberdeen scored we were gonna struggle.
At Celtic Pk we had returned from Russia after having played with 9 men and never looked likely.
At Livi we were never gonna score if we'd played to midnight. Can't remember if we played previous midweek.
The Semi- Final we, again, would've been there in the wee small hours and not scored.

The only outlier is the Tim game, in the three others, Aberdeen and Livingston played compact, deep and employed the low block. They took advantage of their only chance that all came from a set piece.

Have we won a game from 0-0 at ht yet?

I don't think so.

If we don't score in the 1st 45, we don't win.

I think it tells us we don't have the quality to win games when we are not performing at a high level. If our performance levels dip, even slightly, we struggle.

Think lack of keeping clean sheets is a factor - howma t games have teams scored against us and they’ve had 1 or 2 shots.

Bit of lacking on game experience as well - at pittodrke and Motherwell they both equalised with almost the last kick.

It is strange.

In almost all those games me and my mates have all turned to each other early on and said ‘we aren’t scoring a goal today are we?’

It’s like we throw in an incredibly lacklustre performance now and again that has almost zero redeeming qualities.

I think we struggle when teams sit deep, forcing us to cross the ball from 18 yards out rather than get to the bye line. Because we play with 2 wingers Alfie is isolated. Arfield is absolutely key to success here.

We can’t break teams down who press us and put pressure on our players on the ball.
Poor use of wide areas, especially in the 1st half. Our midfield must get beyond their midfield to pressure their back 4. Ejaria and Jack never do it, Coulibaly seldom now, only Arfield gets into good positions.

The first five or six minutes last night we looked like Man City. Aberdeen hardly touched the ball and they couldn’t get out if their own box. As soon as they scored it felt like game over.

AND gave away a free kick under controversial circumstances - I think the freekick was bought !
But no excuses for the defence which, in that situation, was lacking !

We can over analyze it as much as we like , truth is we have improved so no argument there.

Are we consistent enough or good enough when the chips are down to win a championship , not for me .

I think we can turn the orcs over at Ibrox this season but we won't win the league this time around .

We still require an upgrade in a few key positions for that to happen .

All that said, I'm happy with the progress made so far but we need to keep progressing ,that's the key.

The 2 sheep games were identical. Their tactic was defend and try and snatch a goal. We could still be playing the semi final just now and wouldn't have scored.

Celtic was lucky it only ended 1 nil if we are being honest.

All the European matches have been tight and we've only lost one of those.

I think sometimes we run flat out of ideas due to an ever changing midfield and the team only really together for a few months.

Sometimes it happens. I remember us losing a similar 1-0 to Inverness at Ibrox in 2011 thinking we'd chucked the league. We went on a brilliant run after that and took the title.

I purely think we don’t have enough winners in our team. I like Ejaria but I want better than him. He’s nice to watch with the ball but should attempt the key pass more often.

We missed arfield. Middleton should be benched for a few games again and get his sparkle back.

Oddly I don’t think our defence is the worry. The managers rotation is working really well.

Grezda in from the start please.

We lack a match winner IMO. Someone from midfield who does something off the cuff or not in the game plan. When a team has something to hold onto and sits deep we become very predictable.

Sometimes takes a midfielder taking a couple of players on, hitting a shot from 25yds maybe even a centre half doing a Bougherra just to cause chaos.

It tells us that to win we need to play well.

We don’t look like we can win ugly.

Play shite we drop points. It’s as simple as that and it needs to change.

And fast

It tells us that to win we need to play well.

We don’t look like we can win ugly.

Play shite we drop points. It’s as simple as that and it needs to change.

And fast

This is another way of saying we dont have the mentality of winners.

We struggle when teams camp in their own half, we simply can't break them down. We end up playing in front of them, slow passing from side to side...we lack that spark that can beat a man and make something happen.

If our players keep the heid then there is scope to win instead of defeat.

I think the thing is, if we score first, the opposition have to come out and try to get at least a point, so we pounce on the spaces they leave, and usually do so quite well.
If they score first, it's like they reenact zulu, stay tight, organised and defiant to cling on to their lead.
McInnes is smarter then levein in that regard, he just got them to sit back and hope for a goal from a free kick, it worked.

I hope the likes of Dundee and hibs have a go because I think we have more of a chance that way.

Back