Charlie Richmond - Ex Ref Has A Great Idea For VAR In The SPFL

Del

He was on Rocksport before the game last night and came up with this cracker.

He states "The BBC on a Saturday afternoon have video access to all the games around the country. Why not put an ex ref in the BBC studios, put him in contact with refs around the grounds and let him make the call on any contentious decisions after watching the replay"

Not content with the Pacific Quay CSC directing the Compliant Officer on a Saturday night he now wants them directing the refs live.

Last edited:
While I certainly don’t condone using PQCSC as a central point for any VAR type system the idea of using one location viewing all games isn’t the worst. It’s a system they use in MLB where reviews are all done in studios in New York regardless of where the game is. I’d certainly be in favour of that kind of idea over the other one muted of only the game that’s live gets VAR. if we are introducing any major changes it has to, at the very least, be ALL games in the top flight and not those selected for tv coverage.

It's a good idea. Obviously the BBC wouldn't be the ones watching the footage to help the ref, that would be other referees.

A lot of the footage of games is taken from the host clubs which is maybe only a couple of angles at best and not ideal for VAR.

Only the live game(s) on Sky or BT will have decent camera coverage for that round

The league will need to make sure there is extra cameras provided for all the games to make it work

Richmomd was an awful ref as waa Brines they would still get things wrong or make It up
This would not happen with VAR. Yes, it’s still possible to make an error on a very close call but with all the replays available, the vast majority of decisions would be correct. Even idiots like these would get most things right with the help of technology.

This would not happen with VAR. Yes, it’s still possible to make an error on a very close call but with all the replays available, the vast majority of decisions would be correct. Even idiots like these would get most things right with the help of technology.
You would hope so but the two i mentioned were utterly hopeless

I agree but it’s hard to make ahem ‘innocent’ mistakes bud, when technology shows the incident clearly and from different angles.

Ground-breaking stuff Charlie. You should let FIFA know, maybe they could use something like it at the next World C - what? Oh.

Im fed up with all this rubbish.Anyone who know anything about football knows ,a foul is just that a foul ,not every foul is a yellow card or even a red Its players falling about tapped on the ankle and holding his head,screaming a the ref to get guys sent off .And refs don't get me started Referees are not bias they are just completely incompetent simple as that.Reffing a Game is not hard if its a foul give it no song and dance needed.If its a genuine red give it, same with throw-ins,corners,just give the proper decision and get on with the game.Its the blatant bad decisions that they give that get fans riled.That's only half my RANT but enough for today.FORGOT ARROGANT

Last edited:
How can a system work perfectly in Rugby League for over a decade, but football makes a complete cùnt of it?

And how come a system comes into football, is then fine tuned to make it work, but Scotland comes along and decides to apply all efforts into making an even bigger cùnt of it?

It's a good idea. Obviously the BBC wouldn't be the ones watching the footage to help the ref, that would be other referees.
I was going to say you need more than one referee for reviewing.
I was thinking more of corroborating and verification but you’re right as well.
That’s us up to probably four needed.
Four new wages!

They do it in the NBA as well they go to the “replay centre” and usually takes a couple of minutes.

Seems to work well there.

But if you compare the money in the NBA and the SPL then can’t imagine what kind of amateur set up we would come up with compared to them.

Putting BBC Shite out of the discussion for a moment, I don't think there's anything wrong in principle with having one ref or VAR team sitting centrally somewhere and dealing with the games.

However, as things stand just now that won't work as for consistency there would need to be full camera teams at each game, covering the various angles in the penalty areas and so on. And as we see on a weekly basis, some of the current feeds seem to be coming from a single iPhone from a guy at the back of a stand.

On top of that, if the VAR guy was one of the current batch of refs then we're just going to be dished up the same shite as we get already.

Furthermore, if they want proper transparency then they should be showing the replays under review live on the big screens at games - which some grounds don't have. Plus the SFA and their refs are shitebags and wouldn't want us seeing those replays anyway (they never show anything contentious in the replays at Ibrox, for example).

Easy way round it. Each club has 3 appeals each half for 1st season, take it from there. Get a guy looking at the feed to be in contact it the manager.

He states "The BBC on a Saturday afternoon have video access to all the games around the country. Why not put an ex ref in the BBC studios, put him in contact with refs around the grounds and let him make the call on any contentious decisions after watching the replay"

Not content with the Pacific Quay CSC directing the Compliant Officer on a Saturday night he now wants them directing the refs live.

Fucking hell, could you imagine in?

“We’ve brought in League of Ireland’s top referees Seamus O’Toucher to oversee today’s fixtures.”

How can a system work perfectly in Rugby League for over a decade, but football makes a complete cùnt of it?

And how come a system comes into football, is then fine tuned to make it work, but Scotland comes along and decides to apply all efforts into making an even bigger cùnt of it?
" Works perfectly in Rugby League " ? You obviously don't watch the Aussie version as it is anything but perfect !!

" Works perfectly in Rugby League " ? You obviously don't watch the Aussie version as it is anything but perfect !!

Works great in Super League.

We could easily use the same system in football to review penalty awards, red card incidents and tight offside or goal line calls when a goal is scored.

Football had to turn it into an acronym and make the process as wanky as possible.

It's a dreadful idea. Your not telling me the camera angles at every ground are sufficient to cover what is needed. You do it properly or you don't do it all.

I would take it further and do the same as rugby,lets hear the refs and their reasoning for red cards etc.

Absolutely. Been saying this for years.

No hiding place for either officials or players.

VAR still has it's teething problems but on the whole it worked well in the world cup. What annoyed the fùck out of me though was that you didn't really have an idea of what the officials were reviewing and that's me watching on TV. Let everyone know what's happening rather than randomly fucking off to review something.

I am in favour.

Mangers get 2 calls to review each half

Things that can be reviewed

Offsides
Yellow cards
Red cards
Penalties
Ball over the line or out of play
Fouls in the box

Keep it simple

The scum goal in the game earlier this season

Gerrard could challenge the foul on jack at the edge of their box and the goal wouldn’t stand we would get a free kick at the edge of their box

The nfl have rules that the call on the field stands if there is not clear and obvious error

So say the footage is inconclusive the call on the field stands

Last edited:
I am in favour.

Mangers get 2 calls to review each half

Things that can be reviewed

Offsides
Yellow cards
Red cards
Penalties
Ball over the line or out of play
Fouls in the box

Keep it simple

The scum goal in the game earlier this season

Gerrard could challenge the foul on jack at the edge of their box and the goal wouldn’t stand we would get a free kick at the edge of their box

In rugby the TMO has the power to advise the on-field referee to "have a look" at an incident they may have missed - ultimately it is still the on-field refs call though but more often than not the referee does go with the TMO's advice.

For the scums goal in September, SG said in his post match interviews that the the 4th official was shouting "foul" down his mic for the challenge on Jack but Collum ignored him. The 4th official was John Beaton of all people.

Would they have reversed the decision? Probably not in the circumstances but a review at least provides little margin for error

2l13br.jpg

Back