Our loan signings, mid season verdict?

Worthy_Candidate

Ok, a couple of games till the January break but got to asking myself how how our foray into the loan market has served us this season.

Afraid it ain’t great.

Kent has been ok but maybe that is just relative to the rest.

Coulibaly gets just about pass marks.

Worrall just won’t do.

Ejaria, who he?

Coulibaly and Worrall can go in January. Poor despite a decent start from Coulibaly and some decent games in Europe from Worrall.

Ejaria did a turn and then fell off a cliff.

Kent is a miss and looks lively.

Ok, a couple of games till the January break but got to asking myself how how our foray into the loan market has served us this season.

Afraid it ain’t great.

Worrall just won’t do.

Ejaria, who he?

Harsh on Kent IMO, he's been excellent for us.

Not harsh enough on Coulibaly, less than a handful of good games, mostly at the start of the season, pish since bar one or two.

Coulibally done okay, started great but faded
Kent very good, although inconsistent

Rest meh...

Sadiq- a disgrace 0/10

Worrall- rob Kiernan mark 2 - 1/10

Ejaria- a complete chancer and a shitebag. But scored v UFA - 2/10

Coulibally - there's a player deep in there somewhere. But too often a shitebag 4/10

Kent - very good, direct and hungry. Been unlucky at times - 7/10

Kent is alright, the rest I’m afraid aren’t up to it. Coulibaly is just not that good, I think at least he did try today. Worrall is a bomb scare and cannot play against the tims.

Kent - the only one I would keep if possible ?

Worrall - should be 4th choice, not sure why he starts ? but maybe gone soon

Coollybally ;-) went from a lion to a mouse it seems after injury - baffling ?

Kent is decent,Coulibaly looked sensational in early season then his form fell off a cliff.

The less said about the rest the better.I'm all for loan signings if they are ones we couldn't otherwise afford,but I'd really rather not bother otherwise.Davis and Solanke as loans would be of a higher level than any of the loan players currently at the club imo.

Can’t argue with the general consensus -

Kent has the one thing no one else in the squad has - that spark / moment of brilliance.

Couilibally was sensational before his injury / family issues - since then he has been ok.

Worral I don’t think is up to much.

Ejaria was excellent at times and then - well u know the rest.

Sadiq was hopeless.

Kent is decent,Coulibaly looked sensational in early season then his form fell off a cliff.

The less said about the rest the better.I'm all for loan signings if they are ones we couldn't otherwise afford,but I'd really rather not bother otherwise.Davis and Solanke as loans would be of a higher level than any of the loan players currently at the club imo.
Solanke is a massive risk imho. He has played just two games for the under 23s this season and has made the bench for the Reds’ first team just once. I wouldn’t touch him.

Solanke is a massive risk imho. He has played just two games for the under 23s this season and has made the bench for the Reds’ first team just once. I wouldn’t touch him.
Always a risk for someone who hasn't played many games,but he was a stand out for England Under 21's while amongst some very talented players in that team.I'd love us to sign someone like Prevljak but unless there's a spare several million kicking about in January that's not going to happen.

I doubt we will have serious funds next month to spend,I'm open to any realistic suggestions of a better loan striker we're likely to get but I'm struggling to come up with one.

Loan players come and loan players go, but as I noted in a previous post, I'm more concerned about the performance of those players who were signed for hard cash - all of whom (at least thus far) have displayed inconsistent form, or have appeared to be not up to par: -
Connor Goldson
Borna Barisic
Nikola Katic
Eros Grezda
Jamie Murphy

Loan players come and loan players go, but as I noted in a previous post, I'm more concerned about the performance of those players who were signed for hard cash - all of whom (at least thus far) have displayed inconsistent form, or have appeared to be not up to par: -
Connor Goldson
Borna Barisic
Nikola Katic
Eros Grezda
Jamie Murphy

between that and the loan signings there are serious warning signs that a blind man can see

Connor Goldson
Borna Barisic
Nikola Katic
Eros Grezda
Jamie Murphy
Barasic is probably our best player. Katic was outstanding before he got dropped for no reason. Murphy created or scored most of our goals when on loan last season. Goldson is great when he’s not with Worral and Grezda is a typical winger - amazing one week, invisible the next. I think all of those players have pass marks at least.

Afraid it ain’t great.

Worrall just won’t do.

Ejaria, who he?
Coulibaly gets pass marks :D yeah right.:D

between that and the loan signings there are serious warning signs that a blind man can see

The elephant in the room no one really wants to acknowledge is that Steven Gerrard had to build a new squad with a net spend of only £5m.

The truth is that’s not going to get you a hell of a lot of quality.

It was always going to need more than one window to build the sort of squad we want to see, but the question is: do we have the money to do so?

Such a relatively high reliance on loans suggests not.

At the same time I think Gerrard has also been unlucky with other players.

Murphy and Dorrans would have been expected to feature regularly yet have missed the entire season; Barisic, Jack and Arfield have been in and out with injuries; Rossiter still hasn’t recovered sufficiently to stake a claim for a place either, so all of that considered - the lack of impact almost all our loans have had included - the fact we’re only a point off the top at Xmas is fairly remarkable when you think about it.

If the board can find a way of backing the manager with better quality players, I’ve seen enough from him so far to believe that he’ll deliver.

Kent is the only player worth keeping/trying to sign the rest have been dreadful for a while or have fucked off back to there parent clubs.

Kent has been a success, no doubt.

Coulibaly is starting to show a bit of the pre-injury form. Overall his contribution has been a 6/10.

Worral I think is a decent player, but he doesn’t suit our team and he’s too similar to Goldson in the way they read the game, so end up getting in each other’s way. Wouldn’t be remotely bothered if I left.

The loan market has worked for us. Ejaria we’ve been able to send back and the other three have made contributions when we wouldn’t have been able to afford comparable permanent signings. Worral definitely won’t stay and Coulibaly will be the same way if he can’t up his game.

I’d rather that scenario than be stuck with guys on long contracts who we don’t want.

The elephant in the room no one really wants to acknowledge is that Steven Gerrard had to build a new squad with a net spend of only £5m.

The truth is that’s not going to get you a hell of a lot of quality.

It was always going to need more than one window to build the sort of squad we want to see, but the question is: do we have the money to do so?

Such a relatively high reliance on loans suggests not.

At the same time I think Gerrard has also been unlucky with other players.

Murphy and Dorrans would have been expected to feature regularly yet have missed the entire season; Barisic, Jack and Arfield have been in and out with injuries; Rossiter still hasn’t recovered sufficiently to stake a claim for a place either, so all of that considered - the lack of impact almost all our loans have had included - the fact we’re only a point off the top at Xmas is fairly remarkable when you think about it.

If the board can find a way of backing the manager with better quality players, I’ve seen enough from him so far to believe that he’ll deliver.

Been saying since the start of the season that this can't be done on the cheap and without substantial funding Gerrard has no chance of success
The elephant in the room is where are we getting the money from to buy better players and challenge.
As I have said before, it is the responsibility of the Rangers Board to properly fund the Rangers manager to put a title winning team on the pitch.
There are no cheap or easy options; loan signings, unearthing gems and budget buys ain't cutting it

Last edited:
Been saying since the start of the season that this can't be done on the cheap and without substantial funding Gerrard has no chance of success
The elephant in the room is where are we getting the money from to buy better players and challenge.
As I have said before, it is the responsibility of the Rangers Board to properly fund the Rangers manager to put a title winning team on the pitch.
There are no cheap or easy options; loan signings, unearthing gems and budget buys ain't cutting it

I agree with that.

I think we’re in a position financially that we’ve been forced to adopt a more frugal approach whereby we look to unearth a few gems like Morelos and Tavernier while utilising the loan market effectively and developing our own players. We can then add the odd player around the £2-3m mark to bring the squad up to a higher level.

In theory this looks like a sound strategy, but in reality it doesn’t always work as well as we’d like.

Kent aside, our other loans have been poor to middling while the bigger money signings - Murphy, Grezda, Barisic, Lafferty, etc - have had limited success for one reason or another.

If we continue with this approach, and for what it’s worth I think we will because we don’t really have any other option (I don’t think we’ll see any greater net spend this summer, firstly because the money isn’t there to substantially elevate our transfer budget, and secondly because we have a blueprint that I think we’ll stick to) then chances are we’ll meet with a similar degree of success.

In terms of value for money therefore, so far I think it’s been a bit of a mixed bag.

McGregor, Goldson and Arfield have definitely improved the overall quality of the squad, but other permanent signings haven’t really delivered yet.

We’re in a position therefore where we’re probably looking for a better return on our investments this summer, both permanent and on loan.

Last edited:
Kent can stay.I could well be wrong but Docherty,Hardie and Dallas would offer us more and they are our players.

Kent has been good.

Ejaria didn't work out. Looks a skilfull player but really did nothing useful.

Worral would be decent backup but he shouldn't be getting this many games.

Coulibaly is decent but been poor lately.

Kent, Worrall and to a lesser extent Coulibally have been very good business all things considered.

What are and were the loans players supposed to achieve?

They have helped us bridge a finance gap over a summer, they have helped us make the group stages of the Europa and brought a load of money to the club, we are in a league title race.

What else was expected of the squad and these players this season?

Kent just about gets pass marks but needs to produce more when playing. I wouldn't blink an eye if the others terminated their loans tomorrow.

Back