Rangers History Classic Rangers picture thread

Sandy Jardine in a match v Kilmarnock at Ibrox:
DrYbWUwWsAAh9fj.jpg:large

21st September 1968, a 3-3 draw. Jardine was playing centre forward at that point and scored in this game (goal below):

x59q8n.jpg

Willie Henderson also scored that day:

2m7ztyf.jpg

Rangers 1-1 Motherwell, League Cup, 16th August 1975. Both teams had quite a tussle to win the group but Gers just edged it in the end, going on to win the cup of course. There were quite a few past and future Rangers players in that Motherwell team (Bobby Watson, Gregor Stevens and Colin McAdam).

John Greig scored Gers goal with this screamer from distance:

29uvymv.jpg

Almost a goal for Rangers but this one was cleared off the line:

2u4laqh.jpg

More action from 1975:

5ckbyt.jpg

2ptcu3n.jpg

2rz8mte.jpg

b4yp8h.jpg

2ngewat.jpg

2cwvh1j.jpg

Rangers 1-1 Motherwell, League Cup, 16th August 1975. Both teams had quite a tussle to win the group but Gers just edged it in the end, going on to win the cup of course. There were quite a few past and future Rangers players in that Motherwell team (Bobby Watson, Gregor Stevens and Colin McAdam).

29uvymv.jpg

2u4laqh.jpg

More action from 1975:

5ckbyt.jpg

2ptcu3n.jpg

2rz8mte.jpg

b4yp8h.jpg

2ngewat.jpg

2cwvh1j.jpg

The John Greig goal that day. He scored it on my birthday, at school on the Monday I was claiming he was 50 yards out!

29uvymv.jpg

2u4laqh.jpg

More action from 1975:

5ckbyt.jpg

2ptcu3n.jpg

2rz8mte.jpg

b4yp8h.jpg

2ngewat.jpg

2cwvh1j.jpg
The return game which finished 2-2 was my first ever away game

Reactions: ao2
My pleasure mate. That game in 1977 still hurts, 41 years ago or not. It was NEVER a penalty and it wasn't the last time Valentine cost us a cup v them (1989 :mad:).

Big DJ, even 30 years later, insisted on his son's life that he did not handle the ball. It was a dreadful game - did Martin Henderson not miss a golden chance to equalise in the last few minutes?

I wish I could see that one again! I don't think the TV cameras were there that night so like you say, it's got further and further out with the passing years lol.

I remember it as the edge of the centre circle, but as you say, who knows if that's the memory playing tricks.

Big DJ, even 30 years later, insisted on his son's life that he did not handle the ball. It was a dreadful game - did Martin Henderson not miss a golden chance to equalise in the last few minutes?

I think it was Chris Robertson who hit the bar? Yeah, if DJ had handled he'd say now, but he still insists he didn't. I still to this day detest Valentine :mad:

Those responsible for selling Forrest should have been chased out of Ibrox.
I know it followed on from the defeat at Berwick, where he was made scapegoat, but was there an outcry from the fans then as there would be today if similar was to happen?

I think it was John Lawrence who was responsible. It probably cost us a league and Cup-Winners Cup double.

29uvymv.jpg

2u4laqh.jpg

More action from 1975:

5ckbyt.jpg

2ptcu3n.jpg

2rz8mte.jpg

b4yp8h.jpg

2ngewat.jpg

2cwvh1j.jpg

you can see Gregor Stevens just waiting to 'mis time' tackles:D

Flat caps came in in the 1930’s.
My father joined the City of Glasgow police in 1949. The first picture of his class when he joined shows the men wearing helmets and button up tunics. The next class picture taken a year later in 1950 shows the men wearing flat caps and tunics with shirt and ties.

I believe flat caps had been introduced some years before for officers driving vehicles.

So can't say exactly when the picture was taken other than probably before 1950.

Back