Traditional stadiums vs New stadiums

RFC97

Lots of clubs getting/ have got new stadiums.

I’m talking about modern circular ones that have a European feel to them.

I much prefer the old traditional grounds like Craven Cottage and Goodison.

Gutted that Spurs, City and Arsenal moved/ will move to these new stadiums. They feel very soulless.

I hope we always have an old traditional style ground!

Last edited:

I much prefer the old traditional grounds like Craven Cottage and Goodson.

Gutted that Spurs, City and Arsenal moved/ will move to these new stadiums. They feel very soulless.

Been to every ground you mentioned except spurs. Arsenal was the worst for atmosphere

I’m more a fan of the traditional stadium, if you were going corporate however I’m pretty sure the new ones would probably be a better experience. I’m not a fat cat though so traditional for me.

There will soon come a time when it is almost impossible to tear down an old stadium(a bit like the main stand at Ibrox). Their sentimental value will increase markedly in coming decades. The main problem being very few will survive the 'new build' era.

I much prefer the old traditional grounds like Craven Cottage and Goodson.

We are very lucky in the fact that Ibrox is actually beautiful both inside and out. The main stand especially compares favourably with anything I’ve seen in world football and I’m so proud of it

We are very lucky for the way our ground is layout currently

Would be interesting see what could happen if we rebuild the 3 stands

Went to visit the RCDE Espanyol Stadium in Barcelona recently. The facilities on offer to the home team prematch, at HT and post match were unbelievable. They had a full spa suite, sauna, jacuzzi, ice baths, a small swimming pool and a 4G 5 aside sized pitch joined on to home dressing room!

Ibrox is a terrific looking stadium , hopefully eventually the facilities in the stands for the average fan can be upgraded to be more modern such as catering facilities, toilets.

Went to visit the RCDE Espanyol Stadium in Barcelona recently. The facilities on offer to the home team prematch, at HT and post match were unbelievable. They had a full spa suite, sauna, jacuzzi, ice baths, a small swimming pool and a 4G 5 aside sized pitch joined on to home dressing room!

I went to see Matlock town (7th tier England I think) and they had a tiny ground but it was amazing. It had a brilliant view looking up to an old castle on the hill.

Very basic but a real old school feel to it.

I’d take that over hot tubs etc :)

Last edited:
The away entrance at luton towns ground is a thing of beauty...

11keb82.jpg

I worked beside someone who stayed near there and said it was carnage on match days. Her house in Glasgow was near Ibrox and she expected a war zone for home games. Said she hardly knew a game was on when we played.

Prefer grounds with a bit of tradion even if 4 sides are redeveloped?

Traditional all the way.

Recently went to see Cardiff. The new stadium is across the road from the old Ninian Park. New stadium is good but gutted at never having the chance to go to Ninian.

Been to Craven Cottage and Goodison. Both cracking old school grounds. Would loved to have gone to Highbury.

I'd be devastated if we left Ibrox to be honest.

Give me an old traditional stadium over these plastic pieces of shit with no atmosphere any day.
Totally agree,you can't beat standing in the pishing rain at Tynecastle,or being poisened with the black ash,when .we scored at Hampden.those were the days.

Traditional all the way.

Recently went to see Cardiff. The new stadium is across the road from the old Ninian Park. New stadium is good but gutted at never having the chance to go to Ninian.

Been to Craven Cottage and Goodison. Both cracking old school grounds. Would loved to have gone to Highbury.

Yeah Craven Cottage and Goodison are old school grounds, as is Selhurst Park.

I imagine Vicarage Road also but I haven’t been yet.

Better than Highbury? Really?
Arsenal fans can be a strange bunch. I know a good number, living in London and many don’t have an issue with the Emirates, they like it. It might be a generational thing. I am 42. I reckon a larger number of their fans that would be say 45 and above would prefer Highbury but younger fans may well not have gone (regularly or at all).

Highburgh was an awesome stadium regarding old style and way better than the Emirates but the new Spurs one is going to blow every UK Club teams stadium out of the water!

Highburgh was an awesome stadium regarding old style and way better than the Emirates but the new Spurs one is going to blow every UK Club teams stadium out of the water!
Depends on what you want. For me it won’t blow Ibrox out of the water and I say that not to be staunch.

I'm not in favour of moving from traditional home areas or stadia.

I'm also not in favour of all seated stadia. I loved terracings

However, I have to admit, not having black soot stuffed up your snout and gallons of pish soaked up your flares is an improvement :D

You walk into Ibrox and you can feel the history of the place, the modern grounds are generic and soulless.
Yeah, I would say the Allianz is the best of the modern grounds and yet it feels like an entertainment venue, not a traditional football ground and Bayern are a far bigger and more successful club than Arsenal or Spurs, so what chance do they have. There is no sense of history or mystique about these modern grounds. You don’t think ‘oh 50 years ago X played here.’ There’s no spiritual attachment. It’s ok for some clubs but others will thankfully never go for it. It wouldn’t be right for Rangers.

Ibrox mainstand alone has more prestige, personality and stature than any modern stadium in the world. It gives a football team identity. No surprise that Arsenal, West ham and the likes have kind of lost their way with these new grounds.
Likewise Southampton, Middlesborough, Sunderland, Derby and other I’m sure. Hopefully Spurs will endure the same fate.

Not keen on new stadiums in general, but would anyone here say yes to demolishing Ibrox to be replaced with stadiums like these?
76273268-3d-render-of-a-round-football-stadium-with-blue-seats-for-hundred-thousand-spectators-and-vip-boxes.jpg

d-render-beautiful-modern-large-empty-american-football-stadium-blue-seats-vip-boxes-hundred-thousand-fans-three-103602014.jpg

76796040-3d-render-of-beautiful-modern-football-stadium-with-blue-seats-and-vip-boxes-for-fifty-thousand-peop.jpg

30825362.jpg

Yeah, I would say the Allianz is the best of the modern grounds and yet it feels like an entertainment venue, not a traditional football ground and Bayern are a far bigger and more successful club than Arsenal or Spurs, so what chance do they have. There is no sense of history or mystique about these modern grounds. You don’t think ‘oh 50 years ago X played here.’ There’s no spiritual attachment. It’s ok for some clubs but others will thankfully never go for it. It wouldn’t be right for Rangers.
In this modern day, it's right to have identity. Unless we reach numbers in the region of 70k we should keep Ibrox and upgrade the stands as necessary.
70k+ and it will be out of our hands, we would have to accommodate to continue to grow.

Soullessness is due to the lack of atmosphere, which is down to the fans of that club. For instance, if you were to take either Old Firm team and put them into the Emirates, there would be no issues with atmosphere.

Traditional all the way.

Was at Ninian when Coop scored the penalty and Jock had the heart attack. Bit of a dump

Was at Ninian when Coop scored the penalty and Jock had the heart attack. Bit of a dump

Not saying it was the nicest looking of grounds. A lot of them weren't, lets be honest, but just to have the experience of the old terracing etc.

All that's left now is that they kept the old gates as a memorial as you walk into the new stadium's car park.

I much prefer the old traditional grounds like Craven Cottage and Goodison.

Totally agree with you mate and the Spurs supporters certainly seem to agree with you.

In a survey over 75% wanted White Hart Lane extended rather than move to a new stadium.

New stadiums are for customers rather real football fans.

Back