Traditional stadiums vs New stadiums

Much prefer new stadiums. Spurs is going to be something special

Not for me mate, nor the Spurs/Gers supporters I know in the Glasgow Spurs supporters club.

They'd rather have seen the 'Lane extended.

Give me Ibrox, Tynecastle, Elland Rd, Goodison etc over souless morgues like the Emirates ,Etihad, new Wembley etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Lots of clubs getting/ have got new stadiums.

I’m talking about modern circular ones that have a European feel to them.

I much prefer the old traditional grounds like Craven Cottage and Goodison.

Gutted that Spurs, City and Arsenal moved/ will move to these new stadiums. They feel very soulless.

I hope we always have an old traditional style ground!

We were one of the first clubs in Britain to move to a ‘new’ stadium.

For me Highbury was the ultimate traditional stadium. Big terraces and either end. Then the Art Deco stands that were a thing of beauty. Each to their own though.

Oh and West Ham totally fucked it leaving for the Olympic Stadium. Been a disaster! Craven Cottage is a great wee ground, but some of the old style grounds haven't stood the test of time. Sticking with the London theme, Loftus Road is a total shithole and could certainly do with some modernisation.

Not keen on new stadiums in general, but would anyone here say yes to demolishing Ibrox to be replaced with stadiums like these?
76273268-3d-render-of-a-round-football-stadium-with-blue-seats-for-hundred-thousand-spectators-and-vip-boxes.jpg

d-render-beautiful-modern-large-empty-american-football-stadium-blue-seats-vip-boxes-hundred-thousand-fans-three-103602014.jpg

76796040-3d-render-of-beautiful-modern-football-stadium-with-blue-seats-and-vip-boxes-for-fifty-thousand-peop.jpg

30825362.jpg
No. Rather walk down Edmiston Drive and see the Bill Struth main stand, with its tradition, than that.

Traditional stadiums can still be modified and improved.

I am glad Ibrox and Anfield are the iconic grounds they are.

Some will moan that facilities are better at new grounds but they can be improved at old ones also.

I wouldn’t want a plastic ground like the Emirates, Etihad or never-ending Spurs ground.

But Liverpool wanted to move to a ' plastic ground '.

The away entrance at luton towns ground is a thing of beauty...

That used to be the home 'Kop' end. The Oak Rd end.

Spent many a happy hour in there as a teenager.

There used to be a bar underneath it (don't know if there still is). Beer served in glasses, sometimes it was a little rowdy. :D:D

Everton look like they may be going ahead with a new stadium, the location is right on the banks of the Mersey on a disused dock not too far from the city center. They have an architect, Dan Meis, who has worked on a lot of American sports stadia. The plans are to be released in the summer & it could be an interesting one, especially as parts of the site are protected & the stadium will have to incorporate this into the overall design.

A lot of the 1990's new builds feel very dated already & half of them plonked on souless out of town sites etc. The Barr Construction stuff looks very depressing.

Yeah, I would say the Allianz is the best of the modern grounds and yet it feels like an entertainment venue, not a traditional football ground and Bayern are a far bigger and more successful club than Arsenal or Spurs, so what chance do they have. There is no sense of history or mystique about these modern grounds. You don’t think ‘oh 50 years ago X played here.’ There’s no spiritual attachment. It’s ok for some clubs but others will thankfully never go for it. It wouldn’t be right for Rangers.

I get your point mate, but at the same time, these stadiums will eventually create their own history. It's big European nights, it's iconic moments etc that help create history, & that can only come through time.

They aren't just thinking for the here & now, they are thinking about the next 100 years remember.

As much as I'd like to have seen Highbury kept, it was just impossible to expand. The main stand was that close to the houses across the road, they would have to have done something like Liverpool did but perhaps have emptied 2 or 3 streets worth of houses to try & redevelop, & that was never going to be allowed in Islington at the time.

Totally agree with you mate and the Spurs supporters certainly seem to agree with you.

In a survey over 75% wanted White Hart Lane extended rather than move to a new stadium.

New stadiums are for customers rather real football fans.
Agreed. I like grounds like ours (obviously) and Villa’s. Modernised in parts, but retaining the beautiful period features.

I get your point mate, but at the same time, these stadiums will eventually create their own history. It's big European nights, it's iconic moments etc that help create history, & that can only come through time.

They aren't just thinking for the here & now, they are thinking about the next 100 years remember.

As much as I'd like to have seen Highbury kept, it was just impossible to expand. The main stand was that close to the houses across the road, they would have to have done something like Liverpool did but perhaps have emptied 2 or 3 streets worth of houses to try & redevelop, & that was never going to be allowed in Islington at the time.

Yeah real a house in Islington probably costs the same as a street in Anfield.

What was on the site of the Emirates before or was it just waste ground?

It’s weird when you Highbury fields now.

Yeah real a house in Islington probably costs the same as a street in Anfield.

What was on the site of the Emirates before or was it just waste ground?

It’s weird when you Highbury fields now.

It was a waste recycling plant & industrial estate I'm sure. I'm sure Arsenal had to pay for the relocation, the upgrade of some mainline train stations & the new underground to cope with the increased attendance, as well redeveloping Highbury and building over 1000 new homes / flats which of course helped with financing once these were built & sold.

I believe the attendance was capped at 60k as well because of congestion worries, I'm sure they wanted to go slightly higher.

Last edited:
We are very lucky in the fact that Ibrox is actually beautiful both inside and out. The main stand especially compares favourably with anything I’ve seen in world football and I’m so proud of it

I sit in the Broomloan and usually walk from town to Ibrox, passing the main stand. Never get tired of looking at it every game.

New stadiums all the way. They look after all fans, Disabled fans, for example. They also usually improve the infrastructure around the surrounding area as well. Travel, for example.
What's the point in having an old traditional stadium when it excludes certain groups of the fan base? Who are the most important people at a football club?
Yes, I'm having a go at our stadium.

Last edited:
New stadiums all the way. They look after all fans, Disabled fans, for example. They also usually improve the infrastructure around the surrounding area as well. Travel, for example.
What's the point in having an old traditional stadium when it excludes certain groups of the fan base? Who are the most important people at a football club?

New stadiums are soulless and have poor atmosphere. Wembley being the classic example. All grounds should be demolished and rebuilt as they were in 1970.
Luddite Loyal.

Strange post.

Did you read my post? I bet you wish you were standing in rivers of pish whilst dodging tennents cans.

I wish I was standing in a crowd singing their hearts out and not have to get up every 5 minutes to let people go for a pie . One guy next to me once missed us scoring FIVE goals against Stranraer because of this.
Nah, you can stick the corporate bullshit. No offence, like:

Give me a traditional stadium in the heart of a community any day.
I loved walking up to the ground in Vienna last month and the familiarity of people looking out of windows and seeing that there were people living around their team’s ground.

Contrast that to my local stadium for Reading and it’s a big concrete bowl build in the middle of nowhere with a retail park stuck on to the side of it. It’s a good half hour walk along the side of a dual carriageway to get into town.

I loved going to watch Chelsea reasonably regularly around 1999-2004 and popping into the pubs and cafes around the ground before and after.

The atmosphere when Rangers played the friendly at Bristol City was superb as well - everyone in the terrace behind a goal with the cowshed roof over us and belting out the songbook. That’s what football is to the majority of fans.

Hahahahahaha is that real???

Spent a lot of time there as a youngster mate, it's as real as it gets.

The whole ground is hemmed in by terraced housing and to enter that stand, you are climbing stair above peoples back gardens. Been like that for years.

Luton Town have had several investors try to get them a move, but the council/money men (largely) keep blocking plans. There's a plan to build a new stadium with a higher capacity in the town centre at a site called Power Court, but again, it's awaiting a decision and corporate business wankers are opposing it.

Decision I think is due shortly. The club really needs the plans to be approved, but some fans are thinking it won't be and is the reason their manager left to join Stoke in the past week.

Arsenal’s stadium is so much better now
Highbury was full of character and history. I did a tour where Kenny Samson took us round and listening to him and his love for them at stadium and his club was engaging.

I’ve been to their new stadium and there was more atmosphere in an empty Highbury than a packed Emirates.

I wish I was standing in a crowd singing their hearts out and not have to get up every 5 minutes to let people go for a pie . One guy next to me once missed us scoring FIVE goals against Stranraer because of this.
Not asking for padded seats.lol. Just better facilities for our disabled fans. Ffs, how many pies did he buy?

But in a modern stadium you don't have to miss the goals as the facilities are built so that food stalls are accessible instead of being added to the back of a stand / up a mile of stairs.

You can also see the goals on screens at the service tills and even in some cases as the stadia are designed to you can still see the game as you purchase food.

Also, in this country service is atrocious. It shouldn't take 20 minute to buy a pie.

I wouldn't chance the facade of the Main Stand or the inner workings of the Blue Room / Managers office etc but I'm all for upgrading facilities to modern standards where ever possible.

Not keen on new stadiums in general, but would anyone here say yes to demolishing Ibrox to be replaced with stadiums like these?
76273268-3d-render-of-a-round-football-stadium-with-blue-seats-for-hundred-thousand-spectators-and-vip-boxes.jpg

d-render-beautiful-modern-large-empty-american-football-stadium-blue-seats-vip-boxes-hundred-thousand-fans-three-103602014.jpg

76796040-3d-render-of-beautiful-modern-football-stadium-with-blue-seats-and-vip-boxes-for-fifty-thousand-peop.jpg

30825362.jpg

Absolutely fuckin not. I genuinely would probably not renew my season ticket if we moved/demolished and rebuilt. But it'll never happen, there's no appetite for it from anyone at all

Yeah, I would say the Allianz is the best of the modern grounds and yet it feels like an entertainment venue, not a traditional football ground and Bayern are a far bigger and more successful club than Arsenal or Spurs, so what chance do they have. There is no sense of history or mystique about these modern grounds. You don’t think ‘oh 50 years ago X played here.’ There’s no spiritual attachment. It’s ok for some clubs but others will thankfully never go for it. It wouldn’t be right for Rangers.

Not just players, but when I used to look at the enclosure from the GR, I could see where a mate that passed away used to stand and wave over.

I don't get to go now, but there are so many small things about Ibrox, that we all hold dear, I'd never want to lose them.

Some of these new stadiums are outstanding, there is no doubt about that.

What I would say though is they have a very NFL feel about them. Stunning arenas that are great to visit, but as football stadiums for your own team they are very soulless.

The EPL in general is becoming soulless and very much like an exhibition league, so it’s only reasonable that the stadiums reflect that.

Give me Ibrox any day.

Lots of clubs getting/ have got new stadiums.

I’m talking about modern circular ones that have a European feel to them.

I much prefer the old traditional grounds like Craven Cottage and Goodison.

Gutted that Spurs, City and Arsenal moved/ will move to these new stadiums. They feel very soulless.

I hope we always have an old traditional style ground!

West Ham’s probabaly the best example of this. Their new stadiums a fucking travesty in comparison to their old.

Ibrox and in England Craven Cottage are the type of historic stadia with soul and character the envy of oil barons and money launderers from China to America

I'd hate it if Ibrox had the modern bowl design like in the original plans.

BBDB8_CBE_3_EEA_4136_964_F_882_EEB8_D6_BA1.jpg

4peddug.jpg

Would much prefer if the Govan had a third tier to match the main stand. We'd fill another tier easily and it keeps the traditional look.

rP7OJXO.jpg
I like this but I think 3 sides of Ibrox could be redesigned to be like Dortmund and it’d be amazing.

I love Ibrox as it is though, just wish the board would give it a serious facelift rather than putting tacky stickers all over it

The old grounds had character but try being one of last 5k through the stiles for a full house match and I guarantee you’d be seeing next to nothing

The stadium i like the most from recent years is the Schalke stadium (Veltins Arena), a modern stadium but fans still relatively close to the pitch and not losing any atmosphere.

I am a fan of the old traditional grounds though and i like that Liverpool have added to their stadium rather than building a new one.

New stadium, defo,
Its not just the seating, its the concourse too. Proper facilities for modern times, Bars (if allowed) Restaurants and decent food outlets, Club merchandise, Modern toilet facilities....get with the times guys

Last edited:
Back