What Will Be the Next Big Change in Football?

Superrangers

Over the years we have seen everything from professionalism to the offside rule, from continental competitions and the World Cup to foreign owners and from the Bosman rule to major tv contracts and wall to wall matches.

VAR aside, what do we think will be the next big change in the game?

The length of a match, reducing it to 60 minutes with time getting stopped when the ball isn’t in play which would make time wasting ineffective and make the game more exciting.
Timewasting is a big problem that needs sorted. I still think it should be longer than 60 mins though. These guys are professional athletes and they would still manipulate the game by having the clock stopped (feigning injury, etc.), which although the clock would be stopped, could still be used when they were tired or wanted to relieve pressure.

Timewasting is a big problem that needs sorted. I still think it should be longer than 60 mins though. These guys are professional athletes and they would still manipulate the game by having the clock stopped (feigning injury, etc.), which although the clock would be stopped, could still be used when they were tired or wanted to relieve pressure.

Pretty sure I read a report before that on average in one of the top leagues the effective time during the actual match was around 50 odd minutes of the 90.

It is bud but I think it needs to be much higher, especially given the fitness, sports science and the money paid by fans and tv subscribers to players.

If the issue is that the ball is in play 57 mins and it’s not long enough, making it 60 mins is neither here nor there. Should be 80 mins.

Rolling subs, helps keep the standard of football higher

Will prolong careers too as it’ll be much easier to micro manage fatigue and knocks during a game. Great too for young players and players coming back from injury, they could get used for two or three short bursts during games. Say Ryan Jack starts, absolutely flies for the first 25mins, you could see the benefit of rolling him off for Jordan Rossiter for 5/6 minutes then back on to smash it through to half time.

An English domestic match taking place abroad.

You know all the executives would be looking at the Coppa Italia in Saudi and La Liga taking Barca to the states and drooling at the potential to line their pockets.

I don’t know what exactly will change.

However, in answering this I’m trying to think of something badly wrong with the current game that will get worse and become untenable.

I’m Scottish football in particular, that’s refs.

So, in the future I think we will do away with refs and all decisions will be called by VAR. the ‘ref’ will simply be there to relay the decision onto the players.

I think it won’t be long until there is a global league of elite teams playing every week, that’s the way it looks to be going in my opinion.

An English domestic match taking place abroad.

You know all the executives would be looking at the Coppa Italia in Saudi and La Liga taking Barca to the states and drooling at the potential to line their pockets.
I would fucking hate this to happen. Can’t stand how the top leagues are being whored out for cash.

No more kick-offs. Play will start/ restart with a contested drop ball - a la Arfield on Lego muncher. An offshoot of this would be that the other players can start anywhere on the pitch and there would be no offside from the drop ball. :D

In all seriousness though, I think it will be the stop clock.

We start 1 down.

The one that should be sorted is defenders shielding the ball out of play

Even though I've seen our players do this, I hate seeing it and it should be getting penalised accordingly. I'd go as far to say that if the ball can be playable but the player chooses not to play it and "see it out" - then the decision should go in the opposition's favour.

It is bud but I think it needs to be much higher, especially given the fitness, sports science and the money paid by fans and tv subscribers to players.

If the issue is that the ball is in play 57 mins and it’s not long enough, making it 60 mins is neither here nor there. Should be 80 mins.

We pay decent money to watch involving, competitive football, we're there to be entertained for the duration of the game. We're not there to watch bad actors feigning injury, keepers taking half a minute for a by-kick, subs slow-walking off, etc. Refs are at it too, now. Free-kicks, bookings, corners. substitutions every opportunity is seized by the ref to get involved and stop the flow of the game. They also condone the time-wasting - unless it's Collum and us, of course.

Just leave football alone, get rid of this pish VAR nonsense as well
I can't be the only one that thinks they are making a bit of a cnt of it already.

Other than off-sides and ball crossing the line (which is already covered) the decisions seem to still require an element of opinion and can be as easily contested/debated as they are now.

Over the years we have seen everything from professionalism to the offside rule, from continental competitions and the World Cup to foreign owners and from the Bosman rule to major tv contracts and wall to wall matches.

VAR aside, what do we think will be the next big change in the game?
11 on the bench in top division matches.
4 subs.
Short period sin bins replacing yellow cards.
European club leagues, multi-division.
Franchising of big clubs i.e. club moves where the cash is.
Four quarters of 20 minutes.
Half an hour at half time.
Crossbar height increased by 4-6 inches.
A line across the pitch half way inside each half, outside of which you can’t be offside.

Genuinely, all of that within 10 years from now, at least on a piloted basis.
Blame the Americans...

Some EPL and other top Euro league games being played in the US

Some CL games being played on a Saturday to allow decent viewing times for Far Eastern viewers

Scrapping replays in all cup competitions in the UK. No extra time, straight to penalties.

European League for the so called big boys and playing some of the games in different countries around the world. TV coverage be either Facebook,Amazon or Netflix.

Woman's football becoming more main stream and popular. Alot of clubs investing more and more into the woman's league, like us, hearts etc. Can see more games getting televised as the years go on.
This is about the only suggestion in this thread that hasn't depressed me - I hope you're right.

Still along the lines of VAR but I’m thinking ad breaks are gonna creep into games Like in nfl. VAR is sponsored today by etc...

Game stops->Advert->var->advert->game restarts

Hope not but it seems like an obvious opportunity.

Hopefully ending this VAR nonsense then leave the game alone. I dread seeing what changes they will make in the next 10 years and if the previously mentioned 60 minutes pish goes ahead another bit of the game dies

Timewasting, so when the ball is out the clock stops. You can 'waste' as much time as you want, as in you dont need to attack, but the ball needs to be and play.

Subs, now this would make no difference if the above happened, but why cant the player coming on not come on till the subbed player is off? Let them meet half way, we have 4 officials to watch over the game, ffs.

Back