Traditional stadiums vs New stadiums

New stadiums all the way. They look after all fans, Disabled fans, for example. They also usually improve the infrastructure around the surrounding area as well. Travel, for example.
What's the point in having an old traditional stadium when it excludes certain groups of the fan base? Who are the most important people at a football club?
Yes, I'm having a go at our stadium.
And with all that comes the increased cost of a season ticket/ticket. Your point is basically - build a new stadia to look after a certain group of our fan base and let the rest of the fans pick up the cost. I've always found that all types of fans were looked after adequately at Ibrox. I'd rather not sit in an hour of traffic after the game or have to eat inadequate food or sit beside a fat bassa.

But i wouldn't have it any other way to be honest.

New stadium, defo,
Its not just the seating, its the concourse too. Proper facilities for modern times, Bars (if allowed) Restaurants and decent food outlets, Club merchandise, Modern toilet facilities....get with the times guys

All brilliant of course. Until you step from the concourse into 'the bowl' and you could be at any other stadium in the world that is fairly new.

Give me home games at Ibrox and away days at the likes of Tynecastle any day of the week.

I actually cannot think of a newish stadium I can say is on my must visit list.

San Siro, Mestalla, Bernabau are all on there though. Amongst others.

the thing with new stadiums is that they cater more to high end suites than your normal supporter ,greater income stream, sports have become corporate .

All brilliant of course. Until you step from the concourse into 'the bowl' and you could be at any other stadium in the world that is fairly new.

Give me home games at Ibrox and away days at the likes of Tynecastle any day of the week.

Not necessarily mate. 3 parts of Ibrox you could say are modern (relatively) and its not soulless. Imagine Ibrox with corners filled, and the concourse space opened up even into the existing office space at the back of the stands. Would be perfect.
Selling booze is a must though :)

I can’t see any reason why councourses couldn’t be significantly upgraded relatively easily

And with all that comes the increased cost of a season ticket/ticket. Your point is basically - build a new stadia to look after a certain group of our fan base and let the rest of the fans pick up the cost. I've always found that all types of fans were looked after adequately at Ibrox. I'd rather not sit in an hour of traffic after the game or have to eat inadequate food or sit beside a fat bassa.

But i wouldn't have it any other way to be honest.
Ibrox does not adequately look after fans with disabilities

Ibrox does not adequately look after fans with disabilities

Agree.
Was at the game for Fernando a few years ago and we were sitting near the front of the West Enclosure. The weather was crap and the disabled fans were sitting in front off us.
It wasn’t good and to have disabled fans sitting open to all the elements in this day and age is a pretty poor show .
There should be an area made where they can have a good view of the pitch in a environment where they are protected from the weather.

Agree.
Was at the game for Fernando a few years ago and we were sitting near the front of the West Enclosure. The weather was crap and the disabled fans were sitting in front off us.
It wasn’t good and to have disabled fans sitting open to all the elements in this day and age is a pretty poor show .
There should be an area made where they can have a good view of the pitch in a environment where they are protected from the weather.
This isn't the only issue.Simple things aren't being done but most fans aren't aware. I can understand fans want different things within the stadium but our disabled fans should be treated much better

Just look at this Stand... 3mins 47 secs...How could you not like this?

Imagine that for the Copland and Broomie? Ooooft!
Probably because they threw away an iconic stadium with history to replace it with something resembling a PC's heatsink?

The concourse on the stand looks like an airport departure lounge ffs.

Not a patch on Ibrox.

I can’t stand the modern ones. They ruin everything, like modern architecture in general. Shiny exteriour, weird ”exciting” angles, odd shapes, corporate names, everything is strict and clean and then you lose all the history and genuine feel of the old stadiums.
Vomit inducing stuff.

Ibrox is the number one Stadium in the world. The iconic brick facade alone, you just can’t beat it. I can see the point in modernising parts inside when needed of course, such as the disabled section, but design wise we’re no 1.
Rwbs5vH_d.jpg

p2501368521-4.jpg

Last edited:
Too much romanticism going on, what was highburys nickname again? The library ?

Also, the spurs fan on that video says the new stadium has the same feel as white hart lane albeit much bigger so that’s a positive endorsement.

Too much romanticism going on, what was highburys nickname again? The library ?

Also, the spurs fan on that video says the new stadium has the same feel as white hart lane albeit much bigger so that’s a positive endorsement.
Not sure how the spurs fan can say that when they haven't played in the thing yet. As for Highbury being called the library, I'm sure most of the big grounds in Britain (Ibrox included) have been called that at some point.

Probably because they threw away an iconic stadium with history to replace it with something resembling a PC's heatsink?

The concourse on the stand looks like an airport departure lounge ffs.

Not a patch on Ibrox.
A pc heatsink? They have the best stand in the UK

if we had that stand broomie n copand i dont think you would be complaining

Not sure how the spurs fan can say that when they haven't played in the thing yet. As for Highbury being called the library, I'm sure most of the big grounds in Britain (Ibrox included) have been called that at some point.
Highbury a library? Where are people getting this from? Been twice to Highburgy and it was not a libary far from it. Was it Ibrox on a euro night? No! Was it Ibrox v St Mirren? No! But it was 20x louder than Rangers v StMirren

A pc heatsink? They have the best stand in the UK

if we had that stand broomie n copand i dont think you would be complaining
Broomie and Copland are fine the way they are, traditional British stands. None of your frippery filled identikit modern stadium crap.

The only changes I would make to Ibrox are improved disabled facilities and increased capacity.

It's a stadium not a fucking subrban shopping centre.

What of the single biggest single tier stand in the uk from the outside makes you think it looks like a surburban ( you american?) shopping centre?

You must visit some crazy as %^*& shopping centres.

West ham fans miss Upton Park more than anything, any of them Ive spoken just never feel at home in their new ground. I like Liverpool's thinking in the way they built the new stand.

I'm old school so the grounds of the 70s win hands down in all aspects. On the atmosphere ( or lack of ) in new grounds some of this is down to the obscene prices now charged...In the 70s the crowd was mainly young men dancing around on the terraces but today's crowd is these same buggers in their 60s because they are the only ones to afford it regularly and are less inclined or able to jig about. The younger generation are priced out and condemned to watching in their nearest sky boozers.

We are losing a generation to greed.

Surely a stadium is only as good as the supporters that are in it.

For me traditional stadiums.

New stadiums just brings more pretentious wankers :D

New stadiums are soulless. Just plastic monstrosities designed for profitability first and foremost.

I'm old school so the grounds of the 70s win hands down in all aspects. On the atmosphere ( or lack of ) in new grounds some of this is down to the obscene prices now charged...In the 70s the crowd was mainly young men dancing around on the terraces but today's crowd is these same buggers in their 60s because they are the only ones to afford it regularly and are less inclined or able to jig about. The younger generation are priced out and condemned to watching in their nearest sky boozers.

We are losing a generation to greed.
New stadiums are soulless. Just plastic monstrosities designed for profitability first and foremost.

Good points.

Lots of clubs getting/ have got new stadiums.

I’m talking about modern circular ones that have a European feel to them.

I much prefer the old traditional grounds like Craven Cottage and Goodison.

Gutted that Spurs, City and Arsenal moved/ will move to these new stadiums. They feel very soulless.

I hope we always have an old traditional style ground!
I played at Craven Cottage a number of times and if you’re a player, you hate it. Shitty facilities.

Down Portsmouth way with work and heading to Fratton Park to take in their game against Blackpool, looks a cracking traditional ground. Their stand was also built by Archibald Leitch I believe.

I have mate. A friend of mine started to write a book that was about low end football and I wrote some stuff for him. He sadly passed away and no one has ever picked up the reins to finish it.

Ah that’s a shame mate. No one you know who can finish it?

Much prefer renovating old stadia but if you’ve never had a dedicated home stadium only rentals over the years then this isn’t a bad way to start. Fits in with the Twin Cities modern skylines.
My favorite MLS stadium is the Portland Timbers one which again fits into its surroundings.

Lots of clubs getting/ have got new stadiums.

I’m talking about modern circular ones that have a European feel to them.

I much prefer the old traditional grounds like Craven Cottage and Goodison.

Gutted that Spurs, City and Arsenal moved/ will move to these new stadiums. They feel very soulless.

I hope we always have an old traditional style ground!

I’ve actually spoken a lot about this.

Was down at City v Lpool
Seen videos of Spurs new Ground
Benn to Chelsea & Arsenal’s ground and a few others.

None beat walking around the corner and seeing our main stand.
Marble staircase
History which includes the Ibrox disasters.
Good and bad days on the pitch.

Everton look like they may be going ahead with a new stadium, the location is right on the banks of the Mersey on a disused dock not too far from the city center. They have an architect, Dan Meis, who has worked on a lot of American sports stadia. The plans are to be released in the summer & it could be an interesting one, especially as parts of the site are protected & the stadium will have to incorporate this into the overall design.

A lot of the 1990's new builds feel very dated already & half of them plonked on souless out of town sites etc. The Barr Construction stuff looks very depressing.
McDairmid Park suffers from this, and I'm not sure where I am on this modern v old style stadiums as one hand I love some of the modern stadiums they cater for everyone and are of high standard.

Back