Will We Still Go For a Creative Attacking Midfielder?

Dorrans is finished.

Greggsy
Worrall
Goldson
Tav
Halliday
Jack
Davis
Kent
Arfield
Morelos
Defoe

Mcrorie
Katic
Lafferty
Grezda
Candieas
Foddy
Barisic

That's the team that wins us 55.
Come on now. I like Andy Halliday but Barisic is a superior footballer in every department.

Halliday is a top man but he has a fan club (not his fault) that go way overboard whenever he produces anything bordering on competent.

He has been playing/will play a big part but he's not in the strongest 11 when everyone is fit.

Personally feel our midfield players have not had the opportunity to play their “natural “game,because we have been papering over cracks!(sellik aside)through injuries and players not fancying the physical side.we are now have players in to play in “natural “positions,and I would hope to see arfield as our box to box midfielder increase his goals tally for us.

My concern about Graeme is his capacity to run for 90 minutes & physically compete MU. Not necessarily due to his injury.
When we played St Pats at Hampden I thought he was really exposed in not having enough running power & energy.
I really wanted him to be a massive success as he comes from the same part of Glasgow as I grew up, but I have my doubts.

He was awful in that game mate, like the rest of our team, but I'm giving him a pass for last season.

He joined late, missing pre season, and then was always playing catch up.

He then copped a serious injury, was then rushed back before he was ready, due to injuries to Jack and McCrorie, plus the abysmal form of Docherty.

As so often happens when you come back from a serious injury too soon, he got injured again.

That's why I want him to be 100% before he returns, so we can judge him fairly.

We've already got lunatics on here that have decided Grezda and Barisic are duds, despite the fact neither has yet had a chance of an injury free run of games.

Every player should be given a fair chance to prove themselves.

He was awful in that game mate, like the rest of our team, but I'm giving him a pass for last season.

He then copped a serious injury, was then rushed back before he was ready, due to injuries to Jack and McCrorie, plus the abysmal form of Docherty.

As so often happens when you come back from a serious injury too soon, he got injured again.

We've already got lunatics on here that have decided Grezda and Barisic are duds, despite the fact neither has yet had a chance of an injury free run of games.

I agree with that 100% MU. I’m just a bit worried about Graeme’s body letting him down but he deserves that chance.
Despite that, we have never replaced those pacy runs ( not much more of course ) that Windass gave us. That plus shots from around the box are two things we miss if we take our whole group together.
So I’d still like that kind of player in our squad.

He was left hung out to dry in that game due to the way we set up.

I agree he deserves a chance & those who write off players at the earliest opportunity are best ignored on here.

There was suggestion he was near done at the time of our transfer so I still have concerns but as you say he just hasn't had that bit of luck to get to full fitness to show what he is capable of. Lets just hope he can get himself in that position.

I agree with that 100% MU. I’m just a bit worried about Graeme’s body letting him down but he deserves that chance.
Despite that, we have never replaced those pacy runs ( not much more of course ) that Windass gave us. That plus shots from around the box are two things we miss if we take our whole group together.
So I’d still like that kind of player in our squad.

There was also the 20 goals or whatever from Windass too tbf Grigo, but he played as a number 10 and we don't play that way now, so he wouldn't fit in to our current system.

If we can quickly get Davis and Defoe up to speed I honestly believe that a midfield 3 of Jack, Davis and Arfield, plus a front 3 of Morelos, Defoe central, plus Kent switching from wing to wing will provide plenty chances and goals.

Throw in Tav's incredible assists contribution and either Halliday or Barisic supplying outstanding delivery from the left and there's enough goals in our team to lift a title.

I reckon we will be on the alert for a pacy attacking mid. If Davis gets injured then we're back to square 1 in terms of needing a creative midfielder.
Yes sign cover for Davis and at the same time we better sign cover for whoever he is in case he gets injured as well! How many bloody midfield players do we need? The three who destroyed Celtic looked pretty decent to me.

Yes sign cover for Davis and at the same time we better sign cover for whoever he is in case he gets injured as well! How many bloody midfield players do we need? The three who destroyed Celtic looked pretty decent to me.

They were outstanding mate, as was everyone that day, but the fact the mentally challengeds played an open game suited us.

Davis can add that bit of craft and guile when teams come to Ibrox and defend deep.

Davis is the creative player with Kamara as understudy. But we need goals. We need someone who will run beyond the striker(s) into the spaces Morelos creates. But also someone who contributes to the midfield battle. Arfield does this but a more prolific upgrade would improve us.

If we can find a formation that lets Defoe and Morelos play together then this may be less of an issue.

I reckon we will be on the alert for a pacy attacking mid. If Davis gets injured then we're back to square 1 in terms of needing a creative midfielder.

Agree mate. Despite what some other bears are saying, why didn’t we beat Hibs twice or not score at Livi just for example ? Aberdeen at home too ?

We can’t let 29.12 hide these things. Yes Davis & Arfield are quality but also at an age where we need to protect them. Neither have a great shot either.

I think Davis will be seen as that player so can't see us bringing in anyone else in that role, hopefully Dorrans and Murphy can be fit again to help cover at the least

Davis is our only real creative option and if he gets injured, we’re back to the same problem we’ve faced all season- lacking guile.

The midfield was great against Celtic but against teams sitting in that midfield will lack that bit of guile.

We have a lot of midfielders but they are all of a similar style. Hence, why we need cover.

Davis is the creative player with Kamara as understudy. But we need goals. We need someone who will run beyond the striker(s) into the spaces Morelos creates. But also someone who contributes to the midfield battle. Arfield does this but a more prolific upgrade would improve us.

If we can find a formation that lets Defoe and Morelos play together then this may be less of an issue.

Very good post mate. As usual ;)

I think a wide man is more likely to be the creative signing. Grezda looks miles off the required standard and Middleton is needing handled with a bit more caution. Murphy still miles away. A loan for a wide man I reckon.

If we don’t get another midfielder and striker in we will go after Kamara and Jones now. Less of a worry and urgency now tho - we’ve done very well this window

I agree with your starting 11, but Gerrard really rates Dorrans and is desperate to get him back in the squad.

What makes you think he's finished?

Certainly can't be his age and as far as I'm aware he's close to overcoming a horrible injury.
I hope he's not finished. I was excited about him signing but injuries have held him back and he ends up being the forgotton man.

I hope I'm wrong. Quality replacements in a big squad is going to win us this league.

How can you drop ANY of them from our victory over them. You can't!!!

I want Mcrorie in there too for an extra bit of steel. Was outstanding at Ibrox, but something has got to give.

Horses for courses and hopefully keep all these players happy and at the club.

No doubt in my mind this team is going to win the league now. 55

Come on now. I like Andy Halliday but Barisic is a superior footballer in every department.

Halliday is a top man but he has a fan club (not his fault) that go way overboard whenever he produces anything bordering on competent.

He has been playing/will play a big part but he's not in the strongest 11 when everyone is fit.
I don't doubt Barisics ability, I don't think we've seen enough of him just yet.

Now C'mon Andy Halliday performances have been a lot more than competent. He was outstanding against them.

He could give us that every week!! He's Mr dependable and the Boss's unofficial Captain.

If you're asking me would I be happy with Halliday in there as we march to 55 then my answer would be YES!

Barisic will come good and he can operate better in a more attacking sense but will he give us the blood and guts performance Halliday will over the next few months.

I think we've got the tried and tested AH in there for that.. Barisic is no a bad back up mind. ;)

Can't see it. Our improvement in midfield is Davis. If Kamara comes he improves us also in the squad as it means we can ease Coulibally off the scene. We can't go changing too much at this point for this season. Adding Davis and Defoe is significant. As will Kent being back and fit. Give us Barasic and we start to look really strong.

Last edited:
I hope he's not finished. I was excited about him signing but injuries have held him back and he ends up being the forgotton man.

I hope I'm wrong. Quality replacements in a big squad is going to win us this league.

How can you drop ANY of them from our victory over them. You can't!!!

I want Mcrorie in there too for an extra bit of steel. Was outstanding at Ibrox, but something has got to give.

Horses for courses and hopefully keep all these players happy and at the club.

No doubt in my mind this team is going to win the league now. 55

GR, if we had our first choice team every week then I’m with you.

But to me we have learned in a painful way how vital having depth in our squad is, and that’s why I’m saying we need another.

Skill set wise too, out of our whole midfield group, who has genuine pace ? And who can score from 25 yards ?

I don't doubt Barisics ability, I don't think we've seen enough of him just yet.

Now C'mon Andy Halliday performances have been a lot more than competent. He was outstanding against them.

He could give us that every week!! He's Mr dependable and the Boss's unofficial Captain.

If you're asking me would I be happy with Halliday in there as we march to 55 then my answer would be YES!

Barisic will come good and he can operate better in a more attacking sense but will he give us the blood and guts performance Halliday will over the next few months.

I think we've got the tried and tested AH in there for that.. Barisic is no a bad back up mind. ;)
You're sentiments are well intentioned but I completely disagree.

Barisic is the superior player, we're talking Croatian international here.

I think as been mentioned we have improved greatly with the two experienced players in,but we still miss goals from the midfield to give us that extra edge.
But finding someone who can shoot from distance and get beyond the front player(s) is by no means an easy task.Arfield has done well don't get me wrong,but we still need more goals from the midfield imo.

I can't see how his legs have gone mate.

He's only 31 or 32 I think and he lives his life well.

He showed in Villarreal almost as soon as he came on what he can provide, with the slide rule pass to Arfield.

What he really needs to do is ensure he's fully fit before attempting to come back, so he can do himself justice.
I know exactly what you're saying mate.
That was a glimpse of what he could possibly still do for us and it was exactly the kind of killer pass we need in tight games like that!!

Like I say I was excited enough to say he would be in team of the season when he signed. Then he picked up injuries and he's never really got going since.

I feel for him bcos no doubt he wants to play and we want to see him, but at the wrong side of 30 with niggling injuries we've seen it all before... Could be a non starter which would be very dissapointing!!!

In saying that I'm expecting good things from the medical team and fitness coaches.. Gerrard speaks highly of them and I thought they played a masterstroke in getting Kent up to full fitness and unleashing him at the right time againt them. Boy was phenomenal that day...

Hope they have a similar plan for Dorrans. The more options the better for 55.

GR, if we had our first choice team every week then I’m with you.

But to me we have learned in a painful way how vital having depth in our squad is, and that’s why I’m saying we need another.

Skill set wise too, out of our whole midfield group, who has genuine pace ? And who can score from 25 yards ?
We definitely need someone who can really strike a ball.
The young lad Dowell from Everton could of been that man but he's went elsewhere.

Tell you what having watched Craig Brysons best goals for Derby on YouTube. He can certainly strike a ball. Some cracking strikes and twice voted Fans POY. Looks a good pro and a real fans favourite.. Could be some truth in that we are trying to get him.
I can't say I've watched him play or I'm familiar with his all round game but stalwart for Derby. Fans favourite. Good enough for Lampards team and has a real dig on him. Could be good enough for us?

We definitely need someone who can really strike a ball.
The young lad Dowell from Everton could of been that man but he's went elsewhere.

Tell you what having watched Craig Brysons best goals for Derby on YouTube. He can certainly strike a ball. Some cracking strikes and twice voted Fans POY. Looks a good pro and a real fans favourite.. Could be some truth in that we are trying to get him.
I can't say I've watched him play or I'm familiar with his all round game but stalwart for Derby. Fans favourite. Good enough for Lampards team and has a real dig on him. Could be good enough for us?

I actually don’t know much about Powell or Bryson GR, as I tend to just really watch us to be honest, but quite a number of the guys on here agree with you.

The one thing I’m sure I read about Bryson was that he was very anti Rangers growing up. I’m sure the bear that posted it actually grew up beside him in EK and this was genuine. If that was the case I wouldn’t want him.

I think as been mentioned we have improved greatly with the two experienced players in,but we still miss goals from the midfield to give us that extra edge.
But finding someone who can shoot from distance and get beyond the front player(s) is by no means an easy task.Arfield has done well don't get me wrong,but we still need more goals from the midfield imo.

I agree with you Cav.

Also getting this player gives us options to play a different system, maybe the midfield diamond for instance ? We were a bit too predictable at times, especially against teams sitting in.

As MU said, the tims came out at us & played a system that both suited us & that we were prepared for but I just think we should have a plan b & maybe c ready as certain games develop not to our liking.

Reactions: cav
Lunacy, Barasic when fit is twice the player Halliday ever would be. But I'm glad we've got Andy to cover. Also, I loved your performance against the tims Andy.

Last edited:
I agree with you Cav.

Also getting this player gives us options to play a different system, maybe the midfield diamond for instance ? We were a bit too predictable at times, especially against teams sitting in.

As MU said, the tims came out at us & played a system that both suited us & that we were prepared for but I just think we should have a plan b & maybe c ready as certain games develop not to our liking.
I detest the tranny shagger as much as the next bear but his coaching ability is usually half decent,thankfully unlike his recruitment record. I doubt he’ll make similar mistakes in the next few games and we should be prepared to apply as much pressure as possible.

Finding an affordable option in that type of player though isn’t easy though,I don’t envy Mark Allen at all.

The transfers so far have been great and if we could bring a player in for this position I'd like us to try and get Steven Naismith as he can create chances and score goals and should be an affordable option. If we don't sign a player for this position I think Ryan Kent could play the role and be very effective.

I detest the tranny shagger as much as the next bear but his coaching ability is usually half decent,thankfully unlike his recruitment record. I doubt he’ll make similar mistakes in the next few games and we should be prepared to apply as much pressure as possible.

Finding an affordable option in that type of player though isn’t easy though,I don’t envy Mark Allen at all.

He has an arrogance about him, and also quoted all of the players out / out of position, so they may try the same approach at the Chamber of Secrets Cav. But as you say he is a knowledgeable & experienced coach no matter what.

Its not an easy one for Mark but I do really feel that him & his team are doing a really good job, and it could be a 55 winning moment if he pulls another rabbit out of the hat mate. If he gets the funds I’d have my 20 quid on him calling it right. Come on DK, give the man the OK & become a legend with these players & the management team ?

Reactions: cav
Davis looks like a good addition on paper, but we still have to see just how effective he is in reality.

Perhaps he’s the piece of the jigsaw we’ve been missing and the whole effectiveness of the midfield is elevated as a result.

But perhaps he’s not.

Personally I still think we need to push the boat out for another central midfielder of a quality above and beyond that we currently have at the club.

Davis at his peak is not up for debate but where he is now is.

What I don't understand is that whilst Davis oozed class he was not perceived as a game changer and see as a massive underachiever towards the end of his last spell here on FF. I am not convinced with the system we play he can deliver as much as people are hoping but of course many are saying the system will change.

The transfers so far have been great and if we could bring a player in for this position I'd like us to try and get Steven Naismith as he can create chances and score goals and should be an affordable option. If we don't sign a player for this position I think Ryan Kent could play the role and be very effective.

No doubt about SNs ability to do this in Scotland Kyle. Not sure about the consensus of bears on that one though ? :D
I’d guess we may need to pay 1m for him if the club got him. At that age that’s a lot & id personally prefer adding 500k for Ivanusec at Zagreb. He’s 20, so could be our next Alfie if he developed well ?
I do think your Kent idea could actually work. He has pace energy & a work ethic. Just SG direction to make central runs with Barisic holding wide might be a winner ?

Thi k what a lot of people are forgetting is that one of the things that hurt us against teams sitting in was we were very slow to move call side to side

Davis is a player that instead of a 2times 10 yard pass side ways will go forward with it or go 20 yard pass to it seems a small thing but it pulls players out of position faster

It creates more space for the others as the defence and mid have to cover for the player meaning either of our wings get more time and space when it's switched again

Is Ivanusec even on the clubs radar or are you just mentioning at every possible moment for my reason?

No doubt about SNs ability to do this in Scotland Kyle. Not sure about the consensus of bears on that one though ? :D
I’d guess we may need to pay 1m for him if the club got him. At that age that’s a lot & id personally prefer adding 500k for Ivanusec at Zagreb. He’s 20, so could be our next Alfie if he developed well ?
I do think your Kent idea could actually work. He has pace energy & a work ethic. Just SG direction to make central runs with Barisic holding wide might be a winner ?

They were outstanding mate, as was everyone that day, but the fact the mentally challengeds played an open game suited us.

Davis can add that bit of craft and guile when teams come to Ibrox and defend deep.
Totally agree. As well as the like of Jack and McCrorie played against the bheasts, we will face opponents, on a regular basis, who just sit camped in. Those named will not break down packed defences. This is why, in mind, we need to clear some midfielders out and get an attacking midfielder who can unlock defences with their guile.

Back