Kilmarnock consider ripping up plastic pitch

Nerf Herder

Potentially one down hopefully...

Kilmarnock are to consider replacing their artificial pitch this summer.

It emerged in the club's annual accounts that "a feasibility study is under way", but they are not committed to reverting to a grass park.

The current surface, which was laid in 2014, has been routinely criticised by opposition clubs.

In August, Rangers manager Steven Gerrard said "elite football shouldn't be played on plastic pitches" following an injury to Jamie Murphy.

The winger remains sidelined by the knee ligament damage he suffered.

At the time, Kilmarnock boss Steve Clarke suggested his side's injury record was no worse than anybody else's.

The current pitch provides commercial revenue as well as training facilities for the first team, who had previously been hiring alternative facilities in Glasgow.

On the financial front, Kilmarnock reported a trading loss of £181,174 for the year ending 30 May, 2018.

Do Killie,Livi & Accies players pick up these injuries we seem to after a match on those surfaces?

Get rid killie
Just as Stevie said- these surfaces have no place in top flight football
They give you a rotten, less entertaining product on the pitch -
Not to mention the many health & injury concerns
Time for all clubs voluntarily ditching them - if not ban them

Plastic pitches in top-flight football are a disgrace. No surprise that the Dutch have completely banned them and English Football will only allow it below the 4th tier.

If grass is "Not Feasible" then how the %^*& do Stirling Albion have the best quality pitch in Scotland despite being in League Two?

I'm sure some of the teams will moan and groan about "finances" but for %^*& sake, maybe they should sort out their budgeting, competition money and TV money in order to prioritize a playable, grass pitch that is well maintained with undersoil heating for winter fixtures, instead of having one or two more international players coming in on high wages for transfer fees.

SFA CSC have decided that since Sellick were beated by 2 goals from the ground it was the pitches fault.

It's good news tho. Shame it wasn't last season they ripped it up so Murphy would have been spared from serious injury because of it.

There goes at least 10-15 points from title challenge. Without that pitch they'd be no where near the top of the table.
Yes they would.

Their away form is nearly as good as their home form. Under Clarke they are just a good team, crap pitch or not.

However I hope it does get ripped up, I hate them, Killie used to have one of the best grass pitches in Scotland as well.

Good, especially if they end up in the qualifiers for Europe. Anyone playing European football with a plastic pitch should be even more embarrassed than normal
Any idea the rules of European football and plastic pitch just thought the same?

I had thought it was already decided they were ripping up the plastic pitch st the end of the season. I’m sure I heard they were getting a new training facility and after they moved there it would go back to being grass.

Plastic pitches defo shouldn’t be allowed in top divisions

Killie in previous years had one of the best grass pitches in Scotland so it makes sense to get back to grass

Livi pitch should be banned.

Livi stadium is owned by the council .
Livi ripped up the grass park without letting them know
Council were ragging plus they put down a sub standard cheap option pitch basically
Info was on a heart and hand pod cast

It’s excellent.
I hated playing on Ravenscraig/Astro in general, end up with massive burns and blisters on my feet. Not to mention after a slide tackle you have a graze all the way up your leg.

I don’t if you’re from that neck of the woods but Matt Busby AstroTurf is similar to the Livi one. Cheap surface filled with they wee black pellets.

Should be banned , makes players look clumsy. A lot is in their heads however the game looks like in the 70’s when they played on frost pitches with trainers.

It says they are not committed to reverting to a grass park so who is to say they won't rip out one plastic pitch and replace it with another.

I hated playing on Ravenscraig/Astro in general, end up with massive burns and blisters on my feet. Not to mention after a slide tackle you have a graze all the way up your leg.

I don’t if you’re from that neck of the woods but Matt Busby AstroTurf is similar to the Livi one. Cheap surface filled with they wee black pellets.

I’ve honestly never had a blister and I’ve been playing there since it opened.

Was on the outside pitches last night, not of the same quality.

The Matt Busby one is awful mate!

We have had them for nearly 50 years it was 1972 the first astro pitch was used in London, they should never have been used for anything other than training. Small community clubs earning a few quid by having a plastic pitch is fine but clubs in the top leagues NO.

I’ve honestly never had a blister and I’ve been playing there since it opened.

Was on the outside pitches last night, not of the same quality.

The Matt Busby one is awful mate!
That’ll probably explain, I’ve only ever played on the outside one and it’s not up to standard.

The best Astro by a mile near Bellshill/Motherwell is Bothwellhaugh down at Strathclyde park. The best surface in the local area.

Twice Falkirk couldn't get promoted because Brockville didn't have enough plastic seats, one season Aberdeen should have been relegated. Yet they allow these shit plastic pitches.

The Buffs, Irvine Meadow and every other junior side in Scotland, can maintain grass pitches and I am almost 100% sure they don't have access to the same funds as SPL teams.

I would rather they played on Motherwells farmers field of a pitch, half grass, half tattie field, from a couple of seasons ago, than on plastic shit.

Do Killie,Livi & Accies players pick up these injuries we seem to after a match on those surfaces?

it's probably because they're used to playing on it mate.
says they're considering all options,could also mean ripping up the current plastic one just to stick another plastic one down.
I totally agree with everyone that says the top flight league should be forced to use real grass or be kicked out the top league.

What gets me is the fact that the old Rugby Park, won best pitch/grass in the league year in year out, and we even got their groundsman. Today’s plastic pitch should be torn up and replaced by grass. Footballers earn their cash through playing, therefore any player picking up a serious injury on these ridiculous surfaces should SUE that Club for lost earnings!

They used to have one of the best pitches in Scotland, and one of the very few that always seemed to escape having games called off for frozen conditions etc.

The game in this country is so utterly broken that the only way they'll be outlawed (as they should be) is if the filth demand it. Having been beaten on Livingston's and the usual media chimps blaming said defeat on the surface, maybe this will happen.

The SPFL should outlaw artificial pitches in the top division.
If that means giving teams financial support to change back to grass, then it's money well spent.

Any right minded organisation would do this but they're too busy spending cash on lawyers so they can cover the tracks of their own mistakes

The quality of the playing surface should be an entrance criteria for the top division. Grass should be a necessity.

The only half decent one is at Accies.

Killie’s is poor, Livingston even worse. How they get away with having the the one at Livi is beyond me, no better (actually probably worse) than the Ravenscraig astro I play on every week.

That's bollocks, Hamilton's park is a disgrace. Played on it multiple times. Awful.

If some junior clubs can maintain a good grass surface, clubs in the top division shouldn't have a choice in the matter.

They used to have one of the best pitches in Scotland, and one of the very few that always seemed to escape having games called off for frozen conditions etc.
The reason they ripped up the grass pitch was because the houses around rugby park complained to the council that the constant noise from the undersoil heating system was so loud that no one could sleep at night when it was switched on.

The SPFL should outlaw artificial pitches in the top division.
If that means giving teams financial support to change back to grass, then it's money well spent.
Bang on which makes livis decision at the summer look stupid, by all accounts it was a very decent grass pitch to play on.

Once clubs are able to prove an injury was caused by a playing surface lawsuit's will begin and that'll spell the end of plastic pitches.

The SFA should give them a grant, maybe Rangers and that lot could contribute just to get rid of it.

That's bollocks, Hamilton's park is a disgrace. Played on it multiple times. Awful.

If some junior clubs can maintain a good grass surface, clubs in the top division shouldn't have a choice in the matter.

Accies spent £750k putting down a new one in the summer. It definitely seems to be a standard above the other two mentioned.

I wish they weren’t used but I’ve a feeling they’re going to be. If so it should a top standard one and have regulations around watering them for matches etc.

Back