We All Had This Ball

Posh caants.

My ball was this plastic job, in orange.

wembleycaptain.jpg

Which was fine until it went over the wall, into a neighbours garden that had two terrier dugs who made light work of ripping it to bits.

The alternative was a mouldmaster or one of those shitty orange balls from Woolworths that was like kicking a balloon.

ActEarlier-Brand-custom-logo-rubber-football-soccer.png_350x350.png

These balls where the worst. Around the time of the 1998 World Cup these started making an appearance on the playground. They were like a cross between a football and a basketball.

I still remember the sting after saving a shot. It hurt like a bitch. o_O

Cold winters morning, skelped against your leg, red for two weeks.
13077-a44f563285066a431c943753461bac44.jpg
I got a hand-me-down mouldy from my older brother in the 80s. When I was given it, it had been used that much, that it was perfectly smooth and just a few mm thick. Over time that smooth rubber had deteriorated and the surface layer went hard and lost its rubber grip/feel. It was slippy as hell.

So I had a mouldmaster that had a shiny marble like surface, was rock hard and more akin to a bowling ball. When skelped off your thigh, you didn't get the dimples, just one massive red circle with a bruise that lasted days. Sore as...

That brings back memories!

Of that ball, good ones in the main. Also triggers ones though of having to play in winter, on gravel pitches at Nethercraigs with a solid & dimpled instrument of torture during school PE periods.

Getting hit on the face with one and not just having the pain of being whacked, but also looking like you'd been attacked by a cat afterwards from being scratched by the loose patches.

The more fucked the ball was, the better it was for chipping the keeper it seemed.

Getting hit on the face with one and not just having the pain of being whacked, but also looking like you'd been attacked by a cat afterwards from being scratched by the loose patches.

The more fucked the ball was, the better it was for chipping the keeper it seemed.

Just about to post the same. Absolutely brutal when these patchy balls spun off your coupon.

I remember the Sondico floater balls.

Used to toe bash it from about 40 yards and watch it swerve like Bobby Carlos.

Ripping patches off as they got worse until you had something barely resembling a ball left.

Then the pure joy of playing with a brand new ball.

Getting skelped in the face or thigh by one of those when it was cold and wet was a right bastard as well.
Haha and when u got the new one “no playn oan concrete fs”. Just the grass pitches for like 3 hours then u thought %^*& it..... bit like when u got new trainers

Ripping patches off as they got worse until you had something barely resembling a ball left.

Then the pure joy of playing with a brand new ball.

Getting skelped in the face or thigh by one of those when it was cold and wet was a right bastard as well.
Nothing compares to the pain of a mitre mouldmaster clipping your ear on a winters morning, I’ve broke out in a sweat thinking about it.

My mate at 42 swears he’s still got dimple prints and the word Mitre scarred on his left thigh. Sustained from blocking a close range toe blaster on a cold sun morning playing for the school:D

Remember in the late 70s a ball came on the market called a skirrid.If that hit you it hurt like a bastard

best football ever, was super light but solid... like a size 5 volleyball

Adidas_Tango_Riverplate_vintage_football_Azteca_Etrusco_Questra_design_01_cw.jpg
I had an orange one of these about 1985, it was truly a work of art, best ball I ever had, do I earn extra staunch points? ;)

Probably not as it ended up worse than the one in the op! :(

28rf4me.jpg

The mouldmaster we used for the school team didn't have the fancy design of the orange one above just this white one in the picture.
Hated those footballs,playing on a rockhard red ash pitch on a saturday morning in the winter when you get scudded with one of those was not a great school memory

Everybody must remember the old size 4 Mitre Cosmic. Used to love playinggames with that when I was about 12 it was just the perfect weight for long range free kicks.

Posh caants.

wembleycaptain.jpg

Which was fine until it went over the wall, into a neighbours garden that had two terrier dugs who made light work of ripping it to bits.
They hurt like %^*& if they were skelped off you!

Posh caants.

wembleycaptain.jpg

Early 70s got the orange or white one as part of xmas such as it was then. Xmas day thornwood school pitches kick about with pals, a few of us would get one. Memories not seen a one since then. Cheers made my day.

Back