Rangers ends at away matches in days gone by and an old pic of Ibrox.

GEODGC

Official Ticketer
These pics will no doubt have been posted previously in different threads on here over the years, but I thought it was still worth throwing together some old photos of the away sections of stadiums we have visited in days gone by. I have added a wee description to some that will maybe help younger bears get their bearings in relation to the grounds as they are today.
Feel free to add to the pictures, the more the merrier, you can’t beat a wee walk down memory lane.

The first picture is of Ibrox though, it’s actually in the background. There are actually 3 stadiums/pitches in the photo- anybody tell me what the wee stadium is at the front? I know the one in the middle is The Albion but that’s the first I have ever seen a picture with the grassed area at the front. It actually looks too oval to be a football pitch and I was thinking it was maybe a greyhound track or something similar??

Hearts

The view wasn’t the best from there, especially down the front. I remember the bears actually had a ladder one day going from the gardens at the back of the terracing into the ground:D

Motherwell

b

Kilmarnock

The photo is taken from where the Moffat Stand sits today. Rangers pretty much had fans right round that whole side and behind both goals, although the opposite side was officially the Kilmarnock end.

St Mirren

This area was split down the middle by a fence and a net. Many items were exchanged over said net between both sets of fans:p

Hibs

Not a pic of the Rangers end but from the Rangers end.

Aberdeen

The beach end was the stand that sat to the right of where our allocation up there is now. Those bench seats were absolutely deadly for falling off, particularly when we scored, which wasn’t too often back when I first went to be honest.

Dundee Utd

We got the area in the picture and right round behind the goals where the photo was taken. The end opposite where we are allocated most recently. That terracing along the touchline was as steep as feck, god knows why it was every allowed, it’s a miracle nobody was seriously injured on it.

Is that not where the police station is now?
I have been in every one of the grounds shown and more.

Yeah Govan Police Station sits on most of the ground occupied by the old White City Stadium, the rest of it to the back, was taken up by the construction of the M8.
I remember being taken to see Stock Car Racing at the White City in the very early sixties.

That’s a “comparatively recent” one of Easter Road as it doesn’t have the huge terrace opposite their “main” stand where I stood watching us clinch the league to stop them getting 10.
The terracing is there, I’m not sure if they maybe just added a roof??

The terracing is there, I’m not sure if they maybe just added a roof??

It was a bit like a two tier terracing, you could walk along the centre of the terracing and go up to the top bit or go down to the lower bit.
They removed the top section before the put the roof on it.
I was in the top bit of terracing when we won the league way back in 75.

Yeah Govan Police Station sits on most of the ground occupied by the old White City Stadium, the rest of it to the back, was taken up by the construction of the M8.
I remember being taken to see Stock Car Racing at the White City in the very early sixties.
Used to go there in late 1940s to watch the speedway. Sure the team were called the Tigers.

Some amazing memories here. Away games remain the best for me in terms of a day out but still pales in comparison to away days of yore.

I was just wondering, did the introduction of all seater stadia have an effect on the attendances at these grounds?
I imagine the impact on match day experience would have been huge.

These pics will no doubt have been posted previously in different threads on here over the years, but I thought it was still worth throwing together some old photos of the away sections of stadiums we have visited in days gone by. I have added a wee description to some that will maybe help younger bears get their bearings in relation to the grounds as they are today.
Feel free to add to the pictures, the more the merrier, you can’t beat a wee walk down memory lane.

The first picture is of Ibrox though, it’s actually in the background. There are actually 3 stadiums/pitches in the photo- anybody tell me what the wee stadium is at the front? I know the one in the middle is The Albion but that’s the first I have ever seen a picture with the grassed area at the front. It actually looks too oval to be a football pitch and I was thinking it was maybe a greyhound track or something similar??

I read recently in a programme that the Albion did indeed start out as a greyhound track before the popularity of the sport died down.

When we were away to the smaller teams, the home fans usually had half of the shed and half the stand. The rest was us. When I started to go to away games in the mid 70s most grounds had no segregation, with the ensuing battles.

Grounds like that are before my time going to football, but cracking photos and I can only imagine how good the atmosphere would have been at games with fans crammed in.

Hearts

The view wasn’t the best from there, especially down the front. I remember the bears actually had a ladder one day going from the gardens at the back of the terracing into the ground:D

Motherwell

b

Kilmarnock

The photo is taken from where the Moffat Stand sits today. Rangers pretty much had fans right round that whole side and behind both goals, although the opposite side was officially the Kilmarnock end.

St Mirren

This area was split down the middle by a fence and a net. Many items were exchanged over said net between both sets of fans:p

Hibs

Aberdeen

The beach end was the stand that sat to the right of where our allocation up there is now. Those bench seats were absolutely deadly for falling off, particularly when we scored, which wasn’t too often back when I first went to be honest.

Dundee Utd

We got the area in the picture and right round behind the goals where the photo was taken. The end opposite where we are allocated most recently. That terracing along the touchline was as steep as feck, god knows why it was every allowed, it’s a miracle nobody was seriously injured on it.

Brought back memories those pictures.
Like you said about Tannadice,I remember the first time i went there I was told beforehand how steep it was but I didn't believe it. Once I was there I thought oh f**k it is steep!.

I was just wondering, did the introduction of all seater stadia have an effect on the attendances at these grounds?
I imagine the impact on match day experience would have been huge.

All seated stadium probably did have an impact for both atmosphere and attendance

However it is getting people to attend and that is harder these days for a number of reasons

I remember walking with my Dad from Parson St Toonheid down to Central to get the Supporters Specials over to Ibrox, and come out just opposite the Wee Rangers Club. The railway line ran round the back of what’s now the SJ Stand and down to the Docks, How times have changed.

The stadium was the White City. Was vey popular venue and one my mother would go to as a young woman.I went there to watch the stock car racing on a few occasions as a kid too.

St Mirren

I remember similar at Thistle in 'The Shed'. Coins, a bottle and bizarrely toilet roll, chucked back and forward. :D

Been at them all as they were (apart from the really Old Ibrox). Before the Glitterdome the old Tannadice always seemed really steep (especially as terracing) and they had very large white walls in the corners. Muirton Park (St Johnstone) and Rugby Park (Killie) had away ends where you felt miles away from the pitch and like the cesspit when it had been snowing and they shoveled it you could hardly see the pitch.

Hearts

Motherwell

b

Kilmarnock

St Mirren

Hibs

Aberdeen

Dundee Utd

My first game at Pittodrie was in 1991 I think, was 11. Weds night Scottish cup tie, 1-0 to us Super Ally scored, my dad pulled me out of school to go, fake dentist appointment!:))
Been at all the others and distinctly remember the USA flag at tannadump at the game.
Couldn’t have been older than 11 or 12.
Remember love st, Sandy Robertson late goal
Fir Park 2nd last game of season when we got beat 2-0, wee Dougie arnott scored 2- meant it went to the last game v sheep in 91.
Tynecastle and Beach end were the best away days of those photos!
Used to love going to all the old grounds, it’s still good to go away but in those days there was a real excitement for a 11 year old and probably meant I was hooked for life , like I still am now! Love it!

I’ve stood many times on every single one of those.

As others have already said, often not the greatest views depending on where you got to stand, but almost all matches were 3 o’clock Saturday. Those Saturday away matches on the supporters club bus were fabulous.

Great memories. Thanks for posting OP

Anyone remember going to Rugby Park in the 60's and about half an hour before the ko a big line of policemen would come down one of the stairwells and push us further into the terracing to make room for more fans. Also there was a crush barrier that used to snap almost every game & would get passed overhead down to the edge of the park.
60's H & S Loyal

I’ve stood many times on every single one of those.

As others have already said, often not the greatest views depending on where you got to stand, but almost all matches were 3 o’clock Saturday. Those Saturday away matches on the supporters club bus were fabulous.

Great memories. Thanks for posting OP

It is great memories now, not so sure at the time. As weans we hardly ever got a seat and when you did get your can of ginger it was full of fag douts and pish because folk "didn't want to waste a can of Breaker/Special/Pale Ale etc."

Great photos, and a reminder of when away days were an enjoyable experience.
Thanks for posting.

My first game at Pittodrie was in 1991 I think, was 11. Weds night Scottish cup tie, 1-0 to us Super Ally scored, my dad pulled me out of school to go, fake dentist appointment!:))
Been at all the others and distinctly remember the USA flag at tannadump at the game.
Couldn’t have been older than 11 or 12.
Remember love st, Sandy Robertson late goal
Fir Park 2nd last game of season when we got beat 2-0, wee Dougie arnott scored 2- meant it went to the last game v sheep in 91.
Tynecastle and Beach end were the best away days of those photos!
Used to love going to all the old grounds, it’s still good to go away but in those days there was a real excitement for a 11 year old and probably meant I was hooked for life , like I still am now! Love it!
Sandy Robertson's goal one of the most important in our history. The feeling of joy it triggered is right up there, with others that are too many to mention -

I remember similar at Thistle in 'The Shed'. Coins, a bottle and bizarrely toilet roll, chucked back and forward. :D
the old shed with the fence down the middle, climbing over the wall at the back to get in:)

33zbm8m.jpg

Many happy memories traveling with the RSC to away games ,our RSC always seemed to get enclosure tickets for Dens instead of behind the goals luckily as it always seemed to rain when we went there .

I loved going to Tynecastle back then. Some amount of fans packed into the away end. Magic.

The residents of those flats on Gorgie Road must have been rather pissed off when Hearts decided to build a new stand to replace the terracing. No more free viewing from the comfort of your own window!

Back