Scottish referees and managers back VAR

I think VAR is of limited value in general. One incident in last night's Southampton / Derby match was discussed to death despite a VAR ruling.
In specific terms, if a VAR decision went against celtc up here then Lawwell would have the media all asking on his insistence if a majority of the VAR interpreters went to a "St." School, and if not, why not?

VAR is still too subjective in loads of cases and with the state of Scottish officials, I can hardly see it being a great success. If it is to is implemented then it really should be limited to offside and goal line technology.

I think the VAR system should be used more like the Hawkeye system in tennis, each team should get maybe 5 appeals per match, and that way it is down to each manager to decide what gets looked at, rather than the ref or 4th official (or fūck knows who).

It is possible for something to appear of screen and have various interpretations about what has taken place. How does VAR deal with this?

I think the VAR system should be used more like the Hawkeye system in tennis, each team should get maybe 5 appeals per match, and that way it is down to each manager to decide what gets looked at, rather than the ref or 4th official (or fūck knows who).

Said the exact same thing to my old man last night. Each manager gets say 2 or 3 challenges and can use them when they see fit. If you have none left and you don't like the decision then tough shit. Seems to work in tennis like you say and also in American football.

The only downside would be having pointless challenges. For example a team concede a losing goal in the 90th minute, it could be a shot into the top corner from 30 yards out but the opposing manager would challenge as there's nothing to lose.

hell of a lot to do with the current VAR system before I would consider using it stopping n starting a match to check potential offences every 2 minutes will ruin the game

VAR (TV) won't work in Scotland. It would be used to penalise everyone and seek favour for them.
TV = mentally challenged Vision
WrDf6Rc.jpg

Last edited:
Var is not a definitive solution, the cheating Pape will control the horizontal, control the vertical and ensure the rules of engagement are in their favour. Mark my words.

I think VAR is of limited value in general. One incident in last night's Southampton / Derby match was discussed to death despite a VAR ruling.
In specific terms, if a VAR decision went against celtc up here then Lawwell would have the media all asking on his insistence if a majority of the VAR interpreters went to a "St." School, and if not, why not?
I agree. VAR decisions will be used against Rangers more than anyone else (as the Compliance Officer has). Who decides which contentious issues should have the ref looking at the video? If I'm wrong I'll be amazed. Right now I will say that the scum will get more decisions their way than anyone else just as they do now (look at the fair play table).

I'm all for it. Can't come soon enough. Think of Lafferty's "goal" against Dundee last month. With VAR, there would have been no possible way for him to say "I didn't see it" or "it happened too quickly". Any ref who looked at a replay and disallowed the goal would be publicly branding himself as a cheat, an incompetent, or both.

I'm all for it. Can't come soon enough. Think of Lafferty's "goal" against Dundee last month. With VAR, there would have been no possible way for him to say "I didn't see it" or "it happened too quickly". Any ref who looked at a replay and disallowed the goal would be publicly branding himself as a cheat, an incompetent, or both.
And depending on who done the branding would depend on either a fine or a summit...

Financial cost per game might be prohibitive for most Scottish clubs. Minimum running costs of £20k per game for eg St Mirren with gate receipts of maybe £125k is significant.

That’s without goal line technology at £15k per game.

Not sustainable and extensive TV replays have not stopped the Greetin-yins one iota.

Non live televised games are covered by about 3 cameras so good good luck to the guy who gets landed with the job of judging contentious issues in those games.

I'm sure another expensive shambles is on the way.

They say it will be 18 months at least away, as it takes a year to get the refs up to standard. If it’s our refs it will either be a two week course on “how to get an advantage to sellick” or it will be run by an independent company and it will take at least an extra year due to having to teach them the rules first!
Full time refs and reffing at least 1 training game at each club every week, so that the players get to know how the ref handles games and the refs get to know how the players operate. Allowing everyone to get the best from the games. Collina had a book on each team in the league and their players, so he was prepared for how the players would act and react. Our refs seem like complete strangers to the players, and the players style of play, so they let things go that happen every game certain players are involved in. It would also help them get their positioning on the pitch ( yes pitch geography!!) and that may help them reach the right decisions more often, without VAR!
VAR can only be done successfully by showing the play in question on a big screen and the ref miked up ala NFL, otherwise no one in the ground is sure what’s being looked at or disputed. The English FA/EPL have announced the big screen bit but I’m not sure they want to mike up the ref?

Well, it's time the club came out and highlighted the double standards.
The refs in the top flight in all UK. leagues should all be full time professional they should also all be chosen randomly to officiate the games to ensure no collusion, and judged on their performances each ref can be allocated Scottish, English, Welsh and Norn Ireland games and also be graded on their performances.

While the introduction of VAR may or may not improve the quality of the final decision it's not really addressing the problems we have with refereeing in Scotland.

Referees should be full time.

The Compliance Officer role needs binned.

Referees need to be able to explain their decisions.

We need more openness in the appeals procedure.

The minutes of every Referees Committee meeting should be posted on the SFA website.

We’d be top of the league if an impartial VAR system had been in place since the start of the season.

If implemented correctly, it is us who will stand to gain the most.

It still won’t solve issues like the filth getting away with twice as many fouls as every other team in the league before getting booked, but it would be a step in the right direction if done properly.

Really don't think VAR is the answer.

A lot of big decisions in football are subjective in particular penalties. A heck of a lot of penalty decisions are really subjective & even after reviewing numerous replays, sometimes the decision is no clearer.

I think VAR should be restricted to offsides which result in a goal (should be a clear cut & straightforward decision) & straight red cards (which are usually fairly certain).

In addition, it needs to have a minimal impact on the game i.e. reviewed quickly & offsite by a panel who communicate the decision to the ref

im a huge fan of VAR in rugby it works pretty well however seeing it in england and the recent fulham/oldham game then its shit, doesnt work as well in football and i was a fan initially. Not for me

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/av/football/46731213

go to 2mins 20 seconds.

Ref gives a penalty and books the player, VAR shows its never a penalty or booking. Referee then reviews his own decision and stands by it. Pointless imo

While the introduction of VAR may or may not improve the quality of the final decision it's not really addressing the problems we have with refereeing in Scotland.

Referees should be full time.

The Compliance Officer role needs binned.

Referees need to be able to explain their decisions.

We need more openness in the appeals procedure.

The minutes of every Referees Committee meeting should be posted on the SFA website.
Foe fill transparency I would also like the officials to be miked up like in rugby. Whether that is for the crowd to hear decisions in real time or for managers to hear the transcript after a game i dont knowbut would have put paid to the notion Collum seen the Candeias incindent

So we criticise a ref =£6000 fine
Scum criticise ref to such an extent he gets death threats = VAR introduced into Scottish football
....o_O
Why is nobody at Rangers or Club 1872 asking the SPFL/SFA why we are fined £6k for critizing a ref on a game we won and they are invited to meetings after making a referee life and his family's in danger. Somebody needs to explain that to me

Back