Gerrard hopeful of agreeing a deal for USA midfielder Matt Polster

Bonnyloyal

RANGERS are hopeful of finalising a deal to make Matt Polster, the Chicago Fire midfielder, their third immediate signing of the January transfer window, and have confirmed that on-loan defender Joe Worrall will be remaining at the club for the remainder of the season. Polster, a 25-year-old USA international who is out of contract with the MLS, made a positive impression on his trial stint with the club in Tenerife and Steven Gerrard have informed the player’s agent that they are keen to agree a permanent deal. The Englishman, who played against him during his season at LA Galaxy, feels Polster – who can also play at the back - has what it takes to improve the Ibrox side’s first team. To date, the club have tempted veteran duo Steven Davis and Jermain Defoe to the club during January, and have secured the signatures of Kilmarnock’s Jordan Jones and Dundee’s Glen Kamara on pre-contract agreements.
0 comment
“We’re in talks with his agent,” said Gerrard. “We haven’t got it over the line just yet. But we’ve told his advisers that we’d like him to come. If we do, it would be a long-term deal.
“I know him well from the MLS,” the Englishman added. “He’s a player who I can play in numerous positions. He’s a good professional, he’s in good shape, and I think he’s got the potential to be a first-team player here at Rangers if the financials work.
"He’s one that could be interesting for the future. There may be one more [after that] but don’t be surprised if there’s not either.”
Gerrard is relieved to retain the services of Worrall amid speculation that Nottingham Forest, now under the management of Martin O’Neill, were keen to recall a player who shone during last month's Old Firm victory against Celtic.
“Joe’s here for the rest of the season,” said the Rangers manager. “Joe is still a baby, a great kid who has done exceptionally well. He is someone who will give whatever he can for our supporters and has been growing and growing.
“I am delighted to have him and really, really happy we’ve got him until the end of the season. It would have been a problem for us if Forest had called him back.”
While Gerrard dampened speculation linking the club with Derby County’s Craig Bryson and Liverpool’s Adam Lallana, one player who could be moving out on loan is Jordan Rossiter, with Dundee United credited with an interest.
“I’ve had a chat with Jordan and told him I could be selfish and keep him here as a squad player, but I don’t think that’s what he needs at this stage in his
career. We’ll respect him if the right club comes and we’ll give him the opportunity to get regular football because I think it will be good for him.”
Dundee manager Jim McIntyre said both he and Kamara would rather the midfielder “went just now” to Rangers rather than wait until the summer.

Meh...

Can’t say I’m particularly impressed. Average pro who doesn’t particularly excel. Give me Tav anyday. Plenty better players plying their trade in MLS if we’re looking at that league. It might’ve worth noting Chicago finished second last in the East last season and fourth last in a 23 team league. They gave up 61 goals in 34 games, almost 2 a game on average

Looks very decent here. Seems like most of his good stuff came at right back in this video. He has also played around 50% of his matches in midfield too so would be a useful utility player to have.
For a right footed player , I noticed a few decent passes with his left, looks versatile enough to play in a few positions , its a yes from me.

Meh...

Can’t say I’m particularly impressed. Average pro who doesn’t particularly excel. Give me Tav anyday. Plenty better players plying their trade in MLS if we’re looking at that league. It might’ve worth noting Chicago finished second last in the East last season and fourth last in a 23 team league. They gave up 61 goals in 34 games, almost 2 a game on average

How much you seen of him & who is better, in your opinion?
I'm inclined to trust our gaffer tbh. he's doing pretty well so far.

Meh...

Can’t say I’m particularly impressed. Average pro who doesn’t particularly excel. Give me Tav anyday. Plenty better players plying their trade in MLS if we’re looking at that league
. It might’ve worth noting Chicago finished second last in the East last season and fourth last in a 23 team league. They gave up 61 goals in 34 games, almost 2 a game on average[/QUOT

Aye ok and thanks for that Shanks

Meh...

And Polster missed most of the season. In 2017 when he was a regular they made the playoffs

Meh...

Quick get on the phone to Gerrard quick with this enthralling analysis of a guy who didn't play in 90% of the games you've judged him on.

For fucks sake.

Meh...

Dundee are bottom of the SPFL, shit we better not sign Glen Kamara.

Meh...

On nothing more than an article I found after a quick Google I read that fans and press were putting the poor defensive form down to the fact Polster was missing from March/May and believe had he played things would not have been as bad. He seems to be highly thought of and an integral part of their team. The team wanted to keep him but it seems he fancies a move.

If he's done enough to impress the Gaffer then I'm on board!

Doubt it would come as a surprise to many of us if Tav is away in the summer, hopefully for silly money. Flanagain to right back and this lad as his back up.

Doubt it would come as a surprise to many of us if Tav is away in the summer, hopefully for silly money. Flanagain to right back and this lad as his back up.
Nope. Don’t want Flanagan as out RB. Back up, would be fine but he doesn’t have the ability to be the attacking full back we need

Nope. Don’t want Flanagan as out RB. Back up, would be fine but he doesn’t have the ability to be the attacking full back we need
I’ve can’t recall him playing at right back for us, possibly half a game, based on his Liverpool time he could be a ready and able replacement for Tav.
He’s dugshit at left back!

I’ve can’t recall him playing at right back for us, possibly half a game, based on his Liverpool time he could be a ready and able replacement for Tav.
I’m basing it on a complete lack of pace and lack of ability to take a man on.

I’ve no doubt, defensively, he would be fine. We need more than that imo

Moving him to right back isn't going to suddenly make him able to run fast, or contribute meaningfully in attack. As back up he's fine but as first choice full back? Isn't good enough.

Moving him to right back isn't going to suddenly make him able to run fast, or contribute meaningfully in attack. As back up he's fine but as first choice full back? Isn't good enough.
For the record he’s shit at left back as he’s pretty much a one footed player.
But I’ll trust the manager on this one as I doubt he signed him thinking he can’t run fast or contribute in attack but f uck it let’s sign him anyway!

It would come as a surprise to me to see our captain leave whilst we are still building our squad/team.

He would be a huge loss & would require money to be spent on a first team replacement. Flanagan is an ok understudy nothing more.

I take it the other American who went to them didn’t impress? I came across an article by one of them stating how they beat us and Chicago Fire to his signature. The interesting part was it claimed Polster was not impressed with Rangers and was looking at other options. How you can write any old shite and get away with it is unreal!

He played most of ‘that’ season at left back for Liverpool...

And yet you don't post a photo of her

2ryg1ht.jpg

Decent backup signing, as long as he takes “liverpool supporter” out his instagram bio. :oops:

For the record he’s shit at left back as he’s pretty much a one footed player.
But I’ll trust the manager on this one as I doubt he signed him thinking he can’t run fast or contribute in attack but f uck it let’s sign him anyway!
You realise managers can get things wrong? If we take your attitude then there's no point in discussing anything on here really.

Meh...

If the manager thinks he's good enough that's fine by me.

Back