Gerrard playing on Sunday?

Bookmonkey

Official Ticketer
Seen mentioned in a couple of other threads that this might be happening?!:eek:

Any truth in it? I can't see it myself.

If it is true, I may need to break my rule about not attending friendlies!

I'd doubt it.

He mentions regularly that it's not about him and deflects attention. There is a reason we hadn't seen him on the pitch at Ibrox post games until the 29th.

He said it, but he was only joking.

"Asked about the possibility, Gerrard said: “Where has that come from? Let me tell you right now, I’d love to play. I would love nothing better – but unfortunately that won’t be happening. There are three main reasons I won’t play, the first of which is I can’t last 90 minutes any more.
“Secondly, there are better options than me. And thirdly, I have been retired for around three years. The hips just don’t move the way they used to. I am not embarrassing myself."

Gerrard let that sink in for a few seconds then playfully added:

“I might come on for the last five minutes.”

STEVEN GERRARD insists he won’t be pulling on his boots and rolling back the years when Rangers face HJK Helsinki on Sunday.

The Finnish champions will play a friendly at Ibrox this weekend as Gerrard gets a chance to put his fringe and youth players through their paces ahead of the second half of the season.

The match was agreed as part of the deal that brought striker Alfredo Morelos to Glasgow and supporters had speculated whether Gerrard would look to give himself a run-out

Liverpool legend Gerrard hasn’t played professionally since retiring from the game following his departure from LA Galaxy in 2016.

And the 38-year-old isn’t preparing to take to the field once again as he gets set to watch the action unfold from the dugout as usual.

Gerrard said: “Where has that come from? Let me tell you right now, I would love to play.

“I would love nothing better - but unfortunately that won't be happening.

“I am sure I would be allowed, I don't think there are any rules about that. This is just honouring a gentleman's agreement between Alfredo and people at the club at Helsinki and Rangers, which we all have to respect.

“I would love to play. I would just take the No. 8 off Jacko (Ryan Jack) and play the full 90 minutes.

“No, it just isn't happening. Because then I have to upset someone else who has to play and I don't want to do that. But I would love to.

“One, because I can't last 90 minutes any more. Two, because there are better options than me. And three) because I have been retired for I don't know how long, three years?

“The hips just don't move the way they used to move. It is different pinging a pass 40 yards in a 10 minute possession drill and playing 90 minutes in front of a crowd. I am not embarrassing myself.”

He’s a football manager not a player anymore. Why can’t people just accept it ffs.
The reason people can't accept it is because if he was fit and put the boots back on he would instantly become the best midfield player playing in Scotland. Having said that I don't think we'll see him ever playing for us.

Seen mentioned in a couple of other threads that this might be happening?!:eek:

Any truth in it? I can't see it myself.

If it is true, I may need to break my rule about not attending friendlies!
2ed115j.jpg

Thought it was common knowledge that he’s saving his only Rangers appearance for the closing stages when 55 is cliched a la John Greig in 1975

I read this is for fitness and I would think the new lads too. However, if there's a glamour friendly versus Liverpool or the like at Ibrox in the summer I'd love to see him in a Gers shirt for the last half hour or so.

No mention, just gets the tracksuit off, the royal blue underneath, and on he jogs. It'd be terrific just to see it once. A wee spectacle for the fans and a bit of limelight on Rangers for the start of the new season.

The reason people can't accept it is because if he was fit and put the boots back on he would instantly become the best midfield player playing in Scotland. Having said that I don't think we'll see him ever playing for us.
Would he f*ck :D

His legs went about 2-3 years ago. Just because he can play a 20 yard pass in a training video doesn’t mean he could still play at this level.

Of course he will not play. He is the manager of Rangers, not some tinpot organisation like Dundee United.

However, his match worn shirt would be a thing of beauty

There's really no harm him coming on for the last 5 minutes of a meaningless friendly, although by that logic we could ask famous former players back as well.

I do accept it. However Sunday's is a meaningless friendly which if Gerrard was to play a cameo would probably add 5,000 to the gate.

It would. And I'm sure the players would not be fussed one bit. It wont happen v Helsinki, but I think there will be some sort of testimonial/legends game where he will play.

So if he walks into the dugout in trackies on Sunday there is going to be absolute hysteria, everyone eagerly waiting on 85 mins :D

I remember the Legends game v Milan a few years ago.

People were lauding Brian Laudrup and saying he should come out of retirement for us.

I understand much of this would have been tongue in cheek.

Sadly, there will have been a few roasters who actually wanted to see it happen. o_O

It seems to be par for the course with some fans, always looking to the past.

Last edited:
Honestly, wouldn't it be a great PR stunt by our club if he played the last 5? A meaningless friendly would turn into worldwide attention, just like that.

I read this is for fitness and I would think the new lads too. However, if there's a glamour friendly versus Liverpool or the like at Ibrox in the summer I'd love to see him in a Gers shirt for the last half hour or so.

No mention, just gets the tracksuit off, the royal blue underneath, and on he jogs. It'd be terrific just to see it once. A wee spectacle for the fans and a bit of limelight on Rangers for the start of the new season.
Scenes !!!

All this clamour to see him play a few minutes in a Rangers shirt is a bit cringeworthy.
Maybe in a Legends event, but not in a friendly.

I remember the Legends game v Milan a few years ago.

People were lauding Brian Laudrup and saying he should come out of retirement for us.

I understand much if this would have been tongue in cheek.

Sadly, there will have been a few roasters who actually wanted to see it happen. o_O

It seems to be par for the course with some fans, always looking to the past.

Did you see people on Facebook were wanting to offer Jig and Barry deals because of their performance at Soccer Sixes?

All this clamour to see him play a few minutes in a Rangers shirt is a bit cringeworthy.
Maybe in a Legends event, but not in a friendly.

Why? He genuinely is one of the best midfield players in a whole generation. Many of our younger fans would have grown up watching him. Seeing a footballing legend playing in a meaningless friendly isn't really cringeworthy at all.

Back