Arfield comments in the sun.

Govanx

Cool Story Bro
Don’t have a link and no C &P since I’m on phone. “I thought Power went for the ball, he caught Jacko and got a yello. I don’t think he tried to take Jackos face off...”
Sometimes I wish our players would just shut the fk up.

What would you like him to say instead?

Professionals don’t tend to call out their fellow footballers in the way in which I’m guessing you would like Arfield to do so in this case.

Also, don’t tell our players to “shut the fuck up”. It makes you look stupid.

His leg was way to high.

Also gives the press the chance to portray Arfields assessment as being at odd's with Gerrards

Full Article:

STEVEN GERRARD said he’ll be interested to see if there’s a citing — Andy Halliday insisted it was a red card.
But at the end of a week when referees again made more headlines than players, Scott Arfield was more measured about another huge flashpoint.

Alan Power lunged into Ryan Jack with a high challenge, but was only booked by ref Alan Muir.
Gers ace Arfield said: “I thought Power went for the ball, he caught Jacko and got a yellow card.
“I don’t think he tried to take Jacko’s face off.
“It’s just an incident where Jacko is brave and put his head there for the team. It’s one of those things.”

Power’s 24th-minute challenge was, Rangers’ penalty apart, practically the only incident of note in a competitive but scrappy Cup clash.
With flair sadly lacking, the midfield war of attrition became the game’s main talking point, which meant special scrutiny for Power’s challenge.
It was undoubtedly high. It would certainly have hurt. But reckless? Intentional? I didn’t think so.
Arfield did a smart job of deflecting the way the focus in recent days has been on officials.
The Ibrox ace added: “I don’t think I can say too much about it. It is what it is.
“They have the panel there and a compliance officer who makes the decision. We can’t affect it.
“Greegsy and Darnell Johnson at Hibs have been cited, but you just need to get on with it.
“I don’t really take much notice of it. I’ve missed games this season because of an incident against Hearts.
“But it’s like a decision a referee makes on a Saturday. You can’t change it.”
If there was some doubt about the colour of the card shown to Power, there was none about ref Muir’s other big call.
Kirk Broadfoot complained about the penalty decision given against him, but he sprawled full-length to block Arfield’s shot with both arms.

Gers skipper James Tavernier missed the spot kick, blasting it against Killie keeper Daniel Bachmann’s legs.
Other than Jermain Defoe going down very easily, for the second Saturday in a row, in a bid to win a second-half penalty, then firing a decent opportunity wide, there was little else to get exited about.
Both sets of fans will be hoping for a much better game in the replay next Wednesday.
Arfield admitted: “That’s the third time we’ve played Kilmarnock here and it’s been the same game every time.
Credit to them, they make it horrible. It’s one of the toughest places to come in the league, and they play to their advantage.
“We put a lot into the game last Wednesday at Aberdeen — and even in the St Mirren game before that.
“We had to go up to Aberdeen and win, and show a different side.
“I think the two games were very similar in terms of the performance against two teams that play the same way, it’s about the second ball and being at it.
“I don’t think we were fluid here, the surface at Rugby Park doesn’t allow you to be.

Don’t have a link and no C &P since I’m on phone. “I thought Power went for the ball, he caught Jacko and got a yello. I don’t think he tried to take Jackos face off...”
Actually, I agree with him.

The difference is that if it had been a Rangers player, who on here believes that the referee would have seen it in such lenient terms?
Or that Clarke would have allowed it to have passed without some acerbic comment against our club?
Or that the referee would have gotten away with it in the papers without a wave of over the top vilification?

The game is reaching a point in Scotland where the press and media have totally fckd it with their bias and hatred.
So much so that they are now influencing who wins the competitions.

Its the Sun. Anyonw who believes what that pish comes out with needs help.

Anyone who questions it being a red card need their heads checked. The fact his boot was too high is an immediate danger to any player. As for a professional footballer's comments? He's being kind about it, I wouldn't take too much seriously, plus you never know what is said away from the media.

The difference is that if it had been a Rangers player, who on here believes that the referee would have seen it in such lenient terms?
Or that Clarke would have allowed it to have passed without some acerbic comment against our club?
Or that the referee would have gotten away with it in the papers without a wave of over the top vilification?

The game is reaching a point in Scotland where the press and media have totally fckd it with their bias and hatred.

Totally agree they should not have that power sadly it has been surrendered to them and the effects of damage will be long unless there is dramatic reform to curb this cancer from our game?

Anyone who questions it being a red card need their heads checked. The fact his boot was too high is an immediate danger to any player. As for a professional footballer's comments? He's being kind about it, I wouldn't take too much seriously, plus you never know what is said away from the media.

Did Steve Clarke the new spokesperson for referee watch comment on this?

Did Steve Clarke the new spokesperson for referee watch comment on this?

You notice how he kept his gob shut after it and went into hiding? Because he knows Gerrard has further clarification. Saying that, Clarke is right about the ridiculous inconsistency of the refereeing standards in Scottish football.

Professionals don’t tend to call out their fellow footballers in the way in which I’m guessing you would like Arfield to do so in this case.

Are you at the wind-up or on drugs? Clubfoot today calling Defoe a “Diver” McKenna of the sheep, various Killie players and more all calling out our players for “over the top” tackles. Our manager just came out and said that he hopes for some “consistency” and he basically contradicts him. Again. This is why we as a club get shat all over. Too gullible by far. So yes. He should shut the fk up and say nothing especially when there are concentrated campaigns agains our players. Or did you miss the Morelos ban and the offer of a ban to McGregor through your drug haze?

We are too gullible by far mate. The players need to box clever. You know for a fact we’d still be hearing about it and seeing it had the roles been reversed.

I think he makes himself look stupid and Stevie G was hinting yesterday about the compliance officer should be looking at this incident so maybe Arfield if asked about what happned, could have said something similar and along the lines of," Its not for me to comment so, I'll wait and see what the compliance officer has to say".

There's no doubt jack would have got sent off for that type of challenge and if he didnt there would be a mhedia campaign by rabids like Sutton and Hartson and others to get the compliance officer involved.

Something is rotten and hopefully people upstairs at Ibrox will fight back big time.

Our problem is that our players are too bloody nice . They should be up for the battle every game because everyone of our opponents certainly are . A wee spell at boot camp to toughen them up . Naivety on Arfields part to say what he said , if that was his high boot last night he would have walked .

He'd have been better to say sod all, the lady's front bottom actually looked at Jack before going in with the boot %^*& him & his manager about time our players/club got stuck into these liberty taking Bastards .

We are the ones up against it currently in regard to being punished for far less & being on the end of thuggish behaviour from the likes of that lady's front bottom Mckenna.

So instead of being all pally just mark their fucking cards before they do our players if referees can't or won't clamp down on such actions or that useless bunch of cunts at the SFA can't differentiate what constitutes violent conduct or intent then they should piss off as they clearly aren't being consistent in any way this last week has proved that beyond any doubt.

So Defoe “went down too easily in an attempt to win a penalty, for the second game in a row”? No bias in that report then.
Give it another fortnight and Defoe will be a diver, just like Morelos became a hothead thanks solely to the media.

When this comes to pass, I hope someone in a position to do so points out that 36 year old Jermain Defoe who made his professional debut at the age of 17, and is widely regarded as one of the best strikers of his generation, as well as being an all round good guy, suddenly becomes a diver in the tinpot backwater of Scottish football.

Because they will run with this angle. A throwaway line in a report, a couple of comments by pundits, then Crocker and MacLean start their questioning of every time he's scythed down. After that, BBC Scotland will run a discussion "Defoe - Dynamo or diver?" On this show, Alex Rae, Derek Ferguson and Tom English will give their opinions about how Defoe has always had that side to his game, and he's come up here and thought he'd get away with it against the good honest pros in the SPFL.

So Defoe “went down too easily in an attempt to win a penalty, for the second game in a row”? No bias in that report then.
Wanted to say just that.
One month in and the attempts to blacken Defoe are now well under way.
Won’t be the last time you’ll read this now.

"It’s just an incident where Jacko is brave and put his head there for the team."

WTF

He's standing up straight, it's not like he's dived down low to win the header. That sentence makes no sense at all.

Give it another fortnight and Defoe will be a diver, just like Morelos became a hothead thanks solely to the media.

When this comes to pass, I hope someone in a position to do so points out that 36 year old Jermain Defoe who made his professional debut at the age of 17, and is widely regarded as one of the best strikers of his generation, as well as being an all round good guy, suddenly becomes a diver in the tinpot backwater of Scottish football.

Because they will run with this angle. A throwaway line in a report, a couple of comments by pundits, then Crocker and MacLean start their questioning of every time he's scythed down. After that, BBC Scotland will run a discussion "Defoe - Dynamo or diver?" On this show, Alex Rae, Derek Ferguson and Tom English will give their opinions about how Defoe has always had that side to his game, and he's come up here and thought he'd get away with it against the good honest pros in the SPFL.

Excellent post. Before he left Rangers Naismith was being accused of cheating by running to the refs as well as being a player that elbowed others. When he left this stopped. Strange behaviour and I think Morelos will go the same way.

Maybe someone inside Ibrox could point this out or are they all shitebags?

What I seen was there player raising his foot to win the ball with no idea what was around him. If people are saying that a foot should never be head height then you are basically eliminating the over head kick. 90% of these are a high cross into the box where a player is surrounded by defenders.

Of course it’s frustrating when our players are being banned for what amounts to a foul or a booking. That is the problem that needs to addressed not punishing every other team. I have been watching football since the 60’s and have never seen even as much as a foul given against a gk for what McGregor was cited for.

Absolutely spot on. Similarly Alan McGregor was not banned for the foul on Ferguson. He was actually banned for the kick out on Ajer in the game at Parkhead that English, Stewart, Sutton etc. Have had the seeth about since it happened and have taken every opportunity to bring it up, They will now believe justice has been served.

Sounds like carcasm to me

Sounds like carcasm to me
Don’t think so. You should read the full quote. He’s basically contradicting Gerrard instead of just keeping quiet. We are out own worst enemy whilst the poets have this down to a tee ( highlighting our player’s wild tackles).

“I don’t think he tried to tak Jackos face off” is the line that’s causing the issues for folk but if you are being brutally honest he didn’t, his actions can’t been deemed as him trying to kick Jack. Nobody can say he looked at that bouncing ball and his first thought was ‘I’m going to boot Ryan Jack’ on the coupon he attacked the ball the wrong way, it was dangerous play but it wasn’t malicious play.

There have been people who have gone out their way to hurt others in the past look at the picture of that animals tackle on Durrant, look at Keane when he snaps Alf-Inge Haaland these are deliberate acts.

It was a red all day long but for dangerous play that I think is what Scott Arfield is meaning. The referee made the wrong decision and that’s were the problem lies.

You don't have to be deliberately trying to injure someone for it to be a red card. Maybe that is what Arfield was trying (badly) to say.

They play Celtic next. Think about it.

Correct.

It was a red all day long but it's gone now. Celtic going to Rugby Park is up there with the best chances we'll get for us to cut into the points gap. Power is probably their best player so I'd rather no action was taken.

Let's just eliminate them from the cup when they come to ours next week and hope that they can get a result this weekend when the filth come to visit them.

Aye and where was this comment from them when Sinclair who I wouldn’t say was like that either clearly dived against Dundee last season?

Agreed, we can learn somethings from the Bheasts, like falling into line with our stance - after last OF game, all media was full of praise for Beaton, but within 24 hours the CFC board, conscious of the manner of the defeat and that it really was game on for this season, sent the word out and all Tims plus hangers on fell into line immediately.

Excellent post.

To be fair I dont think power did go out to injure anyone so on that point I agree with him however it's a red card simply by the fact it's dangerous.

It's the truth

Should still have been red, but I don't think there was any real malice in the challenge

It's a red card all day long. It doesn't matter a %^*& if the player is going for the ball. He is seriously endangering an opponent. It is the very definition of serious foul play, regardless if the intent was to kick the player or to win the ball.

Exactly .

Arfield may well be correct in that nobody actually knows what Powers intent was , but every player knows full well that straight legging an opponents head , 5 foot off the ground , is dangerous and wreckless and therefore an instant red card .

Personally I don’t give a shit what game power misses I want him complianced and banned the same way our players are .

To be fair I dont think power did go out to injure anyone so on that point I agree with him however it's a red card simply by the fact it's dangerous.

Ask Graham Dorrans about that.

Power's a coward and a thug and imo knew exactly what was likely to happen the way he went into that challenge.

NS.

Dorrans has played, what, 10 minutes of football since Power snapped him at Ibrox last season? He's a dirty player, no doubt.
Totally agree, even their supporters see him as a clogger. He Is exactly the kind of player Clarke likes

Back