Time To Get Rid Of Replays

55 and counting

As of this round of the FA cup there are no replays.I think we should go further in this country because of the set up of our league.Just do away with them altogether it’s a nonsense that you can play the same team 7 times in the one season.In fact you could end up playing a couple of teams 7 times if games go to replays and the team you’re playing are in top 6.Time to play all cup games to a finish.

As of this round of the FA cup there are no replays.I think we should go further in this country because of the set up of our league.Just do away with them altogether it’s a nonsense that you can play the same team 7 times in the one season.In fact you could end up playing a couple of teams 7 times if games go to replays and the team you’re playing are in top 6.Time to play all cup games to a finish.
You would really have fancied our chances in extra time against Kilmarnock on Saturday rather than getting them back at Ibrox? :oops:

I’d agree with the OP 100% on cup replays , something from a byegone era . Play to a finish .

Longer term , the issue still remains that our ridiculous , laughing stock league set up and split means we could still end up playing the same team six times a season . That is just unacceptable . It’s 2019.

Time has come to have a top league in Scotland of 18 teams play each other twice end of story .

I’d agree with the OP 100% on cup replays , something from a byegone era . Play to a finish .

Longer term , the issue still remains that our ridiculous , laughing stock league set up and split means we could still end up playing the same team six times a season . That is just unacceptable . It’s 2019.

Time has come to have a top league in Scotland of 18 teams play each other twice end of story .
It's not really the end of story though as it's not gonna happen though.

I'd rather have the prospect of 6 or 7 games v Aberdeen than 5 against Queen of the South or Morton.

I would agree but only after first getting rid of playing surfaces like Rugby Park Livingston Hamilton etc to much of an advantage. After every game on TV all the commentators etc say it wasn't a great match there's a reason artificial grass doesn't produce good football.

The problem is with the league set up, not cup replays mate.

If you can draw away from home in the cup then you have earned the right to a replay on your own turf.

We deserved the opportunity to get Killie back to Ibrox, rather than a potential penalty shoot out lottery.

I know which one Killie would've preferred.

Agree with you about bigger clubs rarely losing a replay but when a replay costs £27 to watch then its maybe time to revise the pricing

I agree with the pricing mate.

Killie have forced through the £27 price.

There should be some sort of capped price for replays.

Yep - play to a finish. No replays - at all.

7 times playing the same team is f.ucking ridiculous and embarassing.

And I'm sick of funding diddy Scottish clubs.

You would really have fancied our chances in extra time against Kilmarnock on Saturday rather than getting them back at Ibrox? :oops:
I’m not basing my view on Saturdays game.Its based on familiarity breeding contempt.In our set up playing the same team 7 times because of replays is bad for the game.They ain’t going to change the league set up so doing away with replays is something we’d could and should do.

No issue with it.

I have never had much of an issue with playing the same team multiple times a season, adds a decent thread to a season at times.

I like the idea of giving Abderdeen another doing.

If you can draw away from home in the cup then you have earned the right to a replay on your own turf.

We deserved the opportunity to get Killie back to Ibrox, rather than a potential penalty shoot out lottery.

I’d agree the league set up is definitley the biggest problem . Until that is addressed no matter what we do in the cup we will still be playing some teams six times a season . Far too many .

I’d agree the league set up is definitley the biggest problem . Until that is addressed no matter what we do in the cup we will still be playing some teams six times a season . Far too many .
It is far too many so why make it worse by making it possible you can play them 7 times.Simple fact of league set up is tv want 4 guaranteed OF games so that’s not going to change imo.

Hate replays should be done away with completely same with 2 leg ties European or domestic.

I’m not basing my view on Saturdays game.Its based on familiarity breeding contempt.In our set up playing the same team 7 times because of replays is bad for the game.They ain’t going to change the league set up so doing away with replays is something we’d could and should do.
It's not familiarity that breeds contempt of these clubs :p

A cup game should be played to a finish. It's a one-off tie and should be treated as different from a league game.

Nothing wrong with replays at all, if we battled like %^*& at the piggery and scored a late equaliser (think the Clint Hill game) then I sure as %^*& would like the opportunity to take them back to Ibrox and scud them, rather than face a PK with their fans behind both ends (albeit we'd have a bigger section because it's cup rules).

Replays help keep cups alive and interesting. Christ knows that's some feat the way football is going.

They are great for smaller teams and part of the romance of the cup.

And besides, if we had to play to a finish on Saturday, we'd most probably be out of the competition.

Agreed with the last part. The issue now will be how do clubs bridge the gap of five fewer games. Season ticket prices would need to be reduced (significantly for both us and them due to the lack of the other game).

Play to a finish on the night for me

In a way with league cup replays scrapped , its easy for us big clubs whom want the tie down finished but for many others the replay is a cash life line and not just that for the spectator say non killie or rangers fan then the extra coverage sponsoring of the replay generates more interest in the Scottish game than playing at the weekend to penalties ?

It’s all about whom will play Aberdeen away?

I think they should stay and should we beat Kilmarnock comfortably with no injuries then could be good momentum for the match the weekend after ?

Agreed with the last part. The issue now will be how do clubs bridge the gap of five fewer games. Season ticket prices would need to be reduced (significantly for both us and them due to the lack of the other game).

The split will that it’s just stupid makes a mockery one side finishes with more points in 7th or 8th than side in that finishes 6th but what other ideas ?

Tbh mate the European ties (home and away) are what gets me through most seasons.

Mate that is why the previous posters are forgetting all the champions league ties we played pre 2011 these as you said sustained the boredom of going to a lot of league matches,

Since admin that has changed and as we are all bursting for 55 we have forgotten once we get it and we will, that two legged Europeans ties will be the norm except we will be back in the champions league :)

For some reason I opened this thread thinking you were talking about showing replays of stuff (goals, fouls etc) on TV.
Me also thought he was losing the plot.
For me it's all about the smaller teams getting a big pay day that keeps them going for a decade!!

Possibly the replay and the £££££.

It would be better if they had the number of teams in the league where everyone played everyone else home and away an equal amount of times and they did away with the farcical “split”.

Yeah this, just put 6 teams up from league below and then have 2 sets of 12 for the 2 lower divisions. Would make it a lot more interesting rather than same 6 sides meeting each other 6 times a season.

Wouldn't mind the replays so much if we didn't play teams 4 times a season in the league,A 16 or even 18 team league would make cup replays a bit more palatable.

No replays devalues the cup competition. I'm all for it in the league cup but not the national cup.

As said above, I'd rather the replay at Ibrox than a shoot out lottery.

As for The FA cup, that competition has been dead since Man United decided to bin it one year.
I sort of Remember United binning it was it not due to playing in that diddy world club championships

Latest posts

Back