The Hootsman compares the market values of Scotland's teams

cooperno.7

Using the website Transfermarkt we break down the individual market value of the 22 teams in the top two divisions - (all values are GBP) - ranking them in order by lowest to highest. Click and scroll through the pages to discover where each clubs lie. FYI - Market value is determined by the estimated market worth of each player in every club’s squad:

Rangers - 2nd
Market Value - 40.68m

Celtic - 1st
Market Value - 82.31m

No laughing now:D:D:D:D:D:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

It has something to do with it, not everything to do with it

What a club pays a player is their valuation. It doesn't mean that another interested club will value them at the same.

If it had anything to do with it, we'd have gotten reasonable transfer fees for Pena and Herrera.

Theyd have shown more integrity by just having a go by themselves rather than relying on transfer markt as a reliable source

No matter the source a still think their squad is more valuable than ours at this moment in time.

All these sources are bollocks though

I found evidence of them working out the values.

giphy.gif

Lots and lots of good, useful info on Transfermarkt. Player value is one area where they are miles off the mark though - for every team, not just our own.

Using the website Transfermarkt we break down the individual market value of the 22 teams in the top two divisions - (all values are GBP) - ranking them in order by lowest to highest. Click and scroll through the pages to discover where each clubs lie. FYI - Market value is determined by the estimated market worth of each player in every club’s squad:

Rangers - 2nd
Market Value - 40.68m

Celtic - 1st
Market Value - 82.31m

That's about right I think considering Bhoy wonder is wanted by Juventus, Barcelona etc for £70m

A good point. They're paying 3x as much in wages to assemble a squad 'worth' 2x as much.

Very much so.

If they fail to make champions league groups next season youll see unreal downsizing that theyve never experienced before.

And if they lose the league...... Oooft.... They are doomed for a hell of a long time.

Not long before we see them implode

Sellik have a massive massive squad and alot of players on high high wages and long term contracts.

60m per year wage bill ours is 17m

I dont disagree with this valuation of both squads
Is that the difference in wage bills never realised it was a big a gap,and yet Brendan getting all the plaudits for sweeping all around him excluding Europe of course.

What a club pays a player is their valuation. It doesn't mean that another interested club will value them at the same.

If it had anything to do with it, we'd have gotten reasonable transfer fees for Pena and Herrera.

Yeah but by the same token you could say a market valuation also includes factors like how many years left on their contract and other add-ons and clauses.

We’re splitting hairs here really, I don’t think you can say there’s no relationship between the two, in fact finding a way to combine the two might be more meaningful overall. Certainly within a league, wage budget is a far better measurement of relative squad strength than transfer value.

Scott Brown is on about £30k pw and is worth about tuppence ha’penny and a packet of Johnnies.

Your argument is bonkers.

Wages is part of valuation, we are looking at the squads collectively not individuals, id say that their squad right now is probably worth more than ours right now as it stands. Can we agree on that?

It wont be like that for long but if we were to win the league with an inferior squad and budget it would be amazing and would cause them to implode imo

Sellik have a massive massive squad and alot of players on high high wages and long term contracts.

60m per year wage bill ours is 17m

I dont disagree with this valuation of both squads

No chance their wage bill is that high, they just want to the fans to think it's that high to hide the fact they're not buying any decent players.

No chance their wage bill is that high, they just want to the fans to think it's that high to hide the fact they're not buying any decent players.

Think the wage bill is covered in the Annual Accounts. Our own Annual Report certainly gives a figure for first team wages.

I'd like to see that if anyone has it handy. I could maybe believe it's total total staff wages across the entire club, but 60m just on the first team squad?

Their report actually says 'total labour costs' but they have a myriad of companies and I think Celtic plc is the one that deals with player costs. Operating expenses are listed at around £87m. Here is the quote:

Total labour costs in 2018 increased by £7.1m, from £52.2m in 2017 to £59.3m (14%), largely due to increases in the football department

If you want to read in more detail feel free. Cleanse your eyeballs afterwards though.

http://cdn.celticfc.net/assets/down...PLC_June_2018_Stock_Exchange_Announcement.pdf

It was also reported in the media as a result of Sporting Intelligence's Annual Survey:

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/3543772/celtic-double-wages-rangers-salaries-survey/

Last edited:
Their report actually says 'total labour costs' but they have a myriad of companies and I think Celtic plc is the one that deals with player costs. Here is the quote:

Total labour costs in 2018 increased by £7.1m, from £52.2m in 2017 to £59.3m (14%), largely due to increases in the football department

If you want to read in more detail feel free. Cleanse your eyeballs afterwards though.

http://cdn.celticfc.net/assets/down...PLC_June_2018_Stock_Exchange_Announcement.pdf

Total wages across the entire club then. Could that 'total labour cost' even include money paid to contractors who had carried out work during the year? As suspected, the first team wages will be nowhere near that figure, but they want their fans to think it is.

Total wages across the entire club then. Could that 'total labour cost' even include money paid to contractors who had carried out work during the year? As suspected, the first team wages will be nowhere near that figure, but they want their fans to think it is.

See my later link to the survey by Sporting Intelligence mate. I think you are barking up the wrong tree. This is independent research not their own propaganda.

They have another 'umbrella' company that deals with contractors and the like.

If you want to download the actual survey - which covers hundreds of teams - you can do so here:

http://www.globalsportssalaries.com/

See my later link to the survey by Sporting Intelligence mate.

They have another 'umbrella' company that deals with contractors and the like.

If you want to download the actual survey - which covers hundreds of teams - you can do so here:

http://www.globalsportssalaries.com/

Only mention of the 60m figure is in the following quote.

“Celtic can afford a total salary bill of nearly £60m".

Again, nothing specifically saying that Celtic are paying 60m purely on first team wages.

Rangers - 2nd
Market Value - 40.68m

Celtic - 1st
Market Value - 82.31m

Well they do have about 60 players

Only mention of the 60m figure is in the following quote.

“Celtic can afford a total salary bill of nearly £60m".

Again, nothing specifically saying that Celtic are paying 60m purely on first team wages.

Took you all of 4 minutes to download and read that report.:eek: On that basis I assume you've seen it before.

They, presumably, 'lift' the figure from the accounts produced by the Auditors. If you want to believe that covers their entire operation at the DhimDome then that's fine by me. I think you're wrong. They have at least 2 companies, Celtic FC Limited and Celtic plc - the former seems to deal with the 'playing' side of things. I'm not sure why you would be upset that their salary bill is so high. Personally I think its good news because when the CL gravy train stops they are f*cked. It was a policy that failed SDM and it will fail Liewell too.

Anyway, we've strayed a long, long way from the topic of the OP.:)

Last edited:
Personally I think its good news because when the CL gravy train stops they are f*cked. It was a policy that failed SDM and it will fail Liewell too.

This is why I don't believe the figure. There's no way that legendary tight arse Lawwell would commit to a team wage bill that high when there is no guarantees of CL football.

This is why I don't believe the figure. There's no way that legendary tight arse Lawwell would commit to a team wage bill that high when there is no guarantees of CL football.

I remember some saying similar of SDM when our annual profit/loss (generally the latter) was determined by CL group stage qualification mate.

Hopefully we find out soon.

Of course it does, why do you think we have signed new extended contracts, including higher wages, with the likes of Morelos and Tav?
Because it increases the value of the player and how much a buying club has to pay.
What they have to pay, not what they're willing to pay. A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay.

Rangers - 2nd
Market Value - 40.68m

Celtic - 1st
Market Value - 82.31m

What value for Alfie & Tavi mate??

What they have to pay, not what they're willing to pay. A player is only worth what someone is willing to pay.
That's true, but having players tied down on longer contracts undoubtedly gives the selling club a stronger position. To get valuable players, who attract interest, tied down you have to offer them better terms ie increasing wage bill.

Back