Morelos & McGregor

Followbear93

Does anyone else think that both deserved to be given the bans ?
My personal view on both was that it wouldn't have surprised me if both got bans because both in certain ways looked dangerous.
The real problem is why some incidents get punished and others get away with it, that's the problem that SFA has created but again both Morelos and McGregor deserved in my honest view to be banned.

I think had they been any other team in the league they would likely merit bans however the way in which both were done and the fact that players for other clubs have both done similar or worse with no punishment is why we feel extra aggrieved. If the system was consistent then fine but it is so blatantly biased and corrupt

Morelos deserved a yellow card for being an idiot,rolling about like he had been shot. McGregor did what goalkeepers do all the time ,protect themselves. He didn’t move his leg left,right,up nor down,he left it where it was. Could he have moved it out the way? Probably but why should he? It’s one of those if it’s your player no action,if it’s an opponent ,well we’ve all seen what’s happened.

McGregor deserved a ban more than Morelos did and i dont think McGregor deserved one, Morelos did nothing wrong, he was menacing hovering his foot over McKenna like that but never kicked out or anything violent like that.

McGregor was just doing what goalkeepers do, he wasn't looking directly at Ferguson and going off on a tangent slightly to be honest i'm being overly critical but i think Barisic should have done more to shield Ferguson from McGregor and the ball int he first place (sorry to criticise the guy but it annoyed me at the time slightly and should be standard behaviour for a defender)

Normally i would say here "it would be interesting to see if any other keepers in the league do the same and get punished" but we already know how that goes.

Refereed to a different standard.

My personal view on both was that it wouldn't have surprised me if both got bans because both in certain ways looked dangerous.
The real problem is why some incidents get punished and others get away with it, that's the problem that SFA has created but again both Morelos and McGregor deserved in my honest view to be banned.

I personally think both were red card offences.

However, at this point it is almosy irrelevant given what players from other teams have/are getting away with.

There is a clear agenda

Either way. We should be strong enough to see off St J and Killie with Fod in goal,and Morelos missing against Saints.

The Morelos and even McKenna were the least dangerous out of all the incidents highlighted over the last week, including the ones not brought to the attention by the MSM.

I don't think McGregor's was a red but has got away with a few stupid incidents this season and one was bound to catch up with him, ill take the red over them getting a penalty, us down to 9 men and probably the 3 points pissed down a drain

Imo, McGregor done Ferguson.
Let’s not kid on he’s an angel he has previous for this sort of stuff (as most keepers do) I don’t have an issue with the ban in isolation, however when you look at other recent incidents with Ferguson on him, Brown, Simunovic, Power & the forearm smash by a st midden player I think it was then the ban is unjust.
Morelos I think went to stand on him then pulled out of it. So I think his ban is bollocks, at least the length of it.

The Morelos and even McKenna were the least dangerous out of all the incidents highlighted over the last week, including the ones not brought to the attention by the MSM.
A good ref would have booked them both, there wasn't any force in what either of them did really. It's a high powered fixture, Morelos makes the most of it, the Aberdeen players demand the ref speaks to the linesman, it was all a bit silly. I don't think there was much in what McGregor did either, bit of a nonsense instigated by Sortscene, followed by the newspapers.

However, at this point it is almosy irrelevant given what players from other teams have/are getting away with.

There is a clear agenda
I agree regarding McGregor. Alfie was never a red. Debateable if it was even a card. He held back from putting his foot down.

Would bans have been given if it wasn’t a televised game, one that got a lot of press coverage and most importantly if they were not Rangers players?

I have no issue with the process if the ref misses the incidents however it is not consistent and seems to be designed or adjusted to chase our players

Morelos yes, McGregor no.

I think Alfie knew what he was doing with his foot and as a result the sending off, especially as it was a) him, and b) the weakness of a ref already seeing the headlines if he didn’t send him off after showing McKenna the red, meant a ban was likely.

I don’t think there will be a lot of complaints at the club on that one, other than the influence played by the media in continuing to demonise the player perhaps, but McGregor is a different matter.

I don’t think he intentionally meant to injure Ferguson - most goalkeepers protect themselves in this way in those situations - and ordinarily I would have expected that decision to be overturned on appeal, but again, it’s Rangers, and the pressure from the media to ensure no favouritism is displayed towards us probably conspired to see it upheld.

On the face of it we really don’t appear to be doing enough to challenge bias like this.

Its obvious that sportscene have an agenda and go out of there way to highlight our players wrong doings while paying next to no attention to the wrong doings of others. The fact that it appears to be influencing the whole disciplinary procedure is wrong and if there is to be any integrity in the game this needs to be stopped.

The last 6 weeks have been nothing less than a witch hunt by them.

Singling out Morelos after the old firm game when no one had a problem until their broadcast.
The forensic going over of our penalties against StMirren
The detailed coverage of the Morelos and McGregor incidents against the Sheep.

There was no balance or fairness in any of their coverage. It's as blatant a display of bias as you will ever see.

Morelos was hopping about trying to maintain his balance. He kicked no one and harmed no one and his ban was totally excessive.
Why should McGregor have been banned when outright thuggery takes place on a weekly basis from other players. Ferguson himself should have been a Red (Arfield V Hearts) instead of Yellow for his retaliation later on but Madden saw fit to give a yellow because he had let McGregor off. He saw it alright.
Make no mistake every effort is being made to hamper us and this will continue until they make their way to another tainted title.

Morelos was sent off because of the Yahoos campaign against him since we beat them in December .

There’s no two ways about it , they knew what they were doing , they knew even if he wasn’t “ punished “ the last time the hullabaloo they caused meant any tiny indiscretion by Alfie would mean referees were ready to pounce .

They are masters at manipulation , and the Scottish lapdog media happily play along in the sinister witch-hunt against Morelos who is the one player they fear could dent their monopoly on the Scottish game .

Next time we see a keeper knee raised head height jumping to collect a ball lets just ban him . Make for some high scoring games as we will have no fucking goalies .

I'm suspicious of the OP's post count.

70 odd posts in 16 months.

But leaving that aside, none were worthy of red cards. Was either incident worse than Lewis Ferguson's yellow card offence.

You surely have to take into acount the other refereeing decisions made in the the context of the same game.

Last edited by a moderator:
Had the ref gave a penalty and sent mcgregor off im not sure i would have complained, as it is debateable. To give a red and two game ban retrospectively was a terrible decision.

Morelos on the other hand is a sham. He didnt do anything and those suggesting he did i fail to understand their thinking.

I don't think McGregor's was a red but has got away with a few stupid incidents this season and one was bound to catch up with him, ill take the red over them getting a penalty, us down to 9 men and probably the 3 points pissed down a drain

and for me this is a big reason why this retrospective ban stuff is just pointless. It doesnt really help out Aberdeen who were supposedly wronged.

Away and boil yer heed pal .

It dosn,t matter if the two players deserve a ban or not .its about the different standards that rangers players are treated.

I can UNDERSTAND McGregor's. I disagree with it, but I can understand it.

Morelos? It is a fucking disgrace and should see the 3 man panel ostracised from having any further involvement in the disciplinary process.

It’s nothing to do with deserving it or not anymore. There is a severe lack of consistency within Scottish football when it comes to these incidents.

It seems that the reason Rangers get so heavily punished is cause we are always on tv so it becomes easy to highlight everything. This leads to the SFA bowing down to the pressure from the tv pundits and moonhowling football fans to punish us over any small incident (Defoe’s “dive” against in the St Mirren game)

There is a clear agenda

How can you possibly have seen the replay of Morelos from behind the pitch and come to the conclusion that he even deserved punishment at all, let alone a red card?

Utterly baffling!

Morelos deserved a yellow card for being an idiot,rolling about like he had been shot. McGregor did what goalkeepers do all the time ,protect themselves. He didn’t move his leg left,right,up nor down,he left it where it was. Could he have moved it out the way? Probably but why should he? It’s one of those if it’s your player no action,if it’s an opponent ,well we’ve all seen what’s happened.
morelos did what players of other clubs do all the time, i.e. roll around as if they had been shot.
not even a yellow.

Show me a goalkeeper who doesn't come to claim the ball in the penalty area with one or both knees raised to protect themselves.

I think this one has been viewed differently because McGregor slid out on the ground but I maintain he was protecting himself from an oncoming opponent. That said there have been a few occasions where he has left a bit on the opposing player but those are separate incidents.

Was the McGregor incident any worse than Scott Browns tackle on the Hibs player?

I think Alfredo's reputation helped earn him the red card. He can be a little reckless and I think he stupidly gave the referee a decision to make. I don't think the referees decision was correct.

Regardless of the decisions I think the real problem is the role of the compliance officer. It has become (and has been for a while) trial by tv.

I think had they been any other team in the league they would likely merit bans however the way in which both were done and the fact that players for other clubs have both done similar or worse with no punishment is why we feel extra aggrieved. If the system was consistent then fine but it is so blatantly biased and corrupt

This is why I don't understand why we're using these incidents as ones to kick off about. Just because other clubs get away with decisions, we can't argue we should too.

There's been plenty ludicrous decisions against us and they seem to have been swept under the rug now but focus on these other situations which highlight the imcompetencies and don't let go rather than argue situations that could be justified just because they don't go our way.

Both decisions are obviously up for debate on here although in any neutral game I'd be accepting of why they were deemed punishable.

morelos was foolish to get involved - rolling about in supposed agony
if the aberdeen goalie had behaved like mcgregor we would have been screaming for a penalty and a red card

morelos was foolish to get involved - rolling about in supposed agony
if the aberdeen goalie had behaved like mcgregor we would have been screaming for a penalty and a red card

Foolish to get involved? They were challenging for the ball, there was a tangle, one player fell to the ground and kicked the other in the head?

Which part would you not have liked Morelos to have gotten involved in exactly?

Absolutely not. However, with Mcgregor he has got away with a few this season which no doubt was highlighted by sportscene and played a part in his appeal behind withheld. As for Alfie I think similar. Got away with booting broons f4nny so see this as ideal repercussion. We need to get more influence within the Sfa if this season has taught us anything

I get the feeling that if an opposition goalie slid out with his studs high up like that on Morelos there would be many on here furious.
Of course we would it’s part and parcel of football we cry for stuff that we would despise going against us.

With the videos available I thought Morelos' red should've been rescinded.

McGregor, avoidable, unnecessary. I thought he was lucky not to get red at the time. I would want other teams keepers sent off for that. Which leads to the problem, they aren't being picked up, red carded or cited. At least not against us. And certainly not when they're celtic.

Ideally all refs would be like robots and be identical and consistent. They're not and they have different styles. So the best you can hope for is that any referee is consistent to his style and thresholds within a game. Madden was consistent in that Ferguson wasn't sent off later. That should've been the end of it. To then pull up McGregor, from the context of that game, when there's been precedents that have been overlooked fairly recently is unfair and inconsistent. Just like overlooking McKenna's actions in the first game of the season. Which is against the entire spirit of the system i.e. it's doesn't maintain sporting integrity, some would say.

I agree with you, but nobody will convince me if Morelos or Jack for example had committed the same fouls that Power and Mcginn did that they would not have been sent off or at least cited after it then given a ban, also we must make more of the fact that only certain incidents are being scrutinised and others are not even looked at the most recent being Browns tackle and Burkes dive.The whole system is an utter farce.

Morelos definitely not. He literally didn't do anything to McKenna, so it's clear that this fake "reputation" of his which is pushed by the media has gone before him. Disgraceful that it didn't get overturned.

McGregor, taken in isolation then yes it's worthy of a ban. Said it right away as soon as I saw the replay. BUT when you then look at it in the context of other incidents that didn't get cited or banned then you ask what is the difference? The 2 differences seem to be that 1) McGregor plays for Rangers and 2) Sportscene spent time highlighting and discussing his incident and ignored the others.

The Club 1872 statement asks all the right questions and is very well worded, but to be honest it should've came from the Club itself as it'll just be ignored and will hardly get any coverage.

Morelos was never a red, ever.

McGregor's I can see why it was given, but in the context of every other fucking bad challenge within the last 7 days, it's beyond belief that the only two players walking away with bans are Rangers players. I could accept McGregor's if all the others had been appropriately punished as well.

McGregor lifted his foot but couldn't see LF. Ok, he's lifted his foot but all keepers protect themselves. It could also be argued momentum caused him to lift. It is unfortunate he made contact though. Not a red for me.

Morelos' only crime was a bit of play acting. He should not even have been booked let alone sent off.

On the double standards, what McGinn, Broon (many times), the other mentally challenged with the flying arm and even LF got away with is staggering.

Not for me , McGregor, as I said at the time , came out in protection mode,keepers all over the world do the same

Morelos was the victim of a concerted campaign for punishment after the mentally challengeds game , they got their wish .
Nail on head about morelos. I mean cmon the got got kicked in the face and all we hear is lies about what morelos part in it was

Back