Current board and funds

On evidence so far, no.

This summer is a big test in terms of what our net spend will be. If the board can’t stump up decent funds to have us properly challenging then ST prices should reflect a club likely to finish 2nd and not what the prices currently are which are on par with what they were before 2012

In reality no that’s why we need to find external funding from someone else.

The board have done a huge amount but we need someone to come in and invest £20m minimum into the club in one go.

From where we were, to where we are now, they have made ample funds available.
Mistakes have been made, costing quite a bit, however they keep coming back with more.
The fans through tickets have put in plenty and will continue to do so.
Of course they could do with investment from elsewhere, but we need to be sure it is from reliable investors.
Rangers are heading in the right direction.

I would doubt it. It's not just funds that are the problem with out club though. Despite things being a big improvement you have to wonder if the board have the mettle to make the difference.

I imagine a plan would be this:

Sell valuable players in summer.

Reinvest the money back into the playing squad to improve its overall strength and depth.

Get into Europe with squad to boost finances further.

Win title, qualify for the champions league, and the cash that entails.

Easier said than done.

We don’t have any divine right to have board members or anyone else put funds into the club. I know that nobody in this thread has suggested that we do have that right but it is always worth remembering.

It is also worth bearing in mind that in the King offer document a few weeks ago the board noted that the plan is for there to be two more share issues this year. One presumably to capitalise the remainder of the existing shareholder loans (albeit King and T3B can’t increase their percentage shareholding, just maintain it) and one presumably to raise funds more generally.

We also pulled in £14m or so from the UEFA Cup run which was probably not budgeted for. Plus the chances are that Morelos will go at the end of the season - and if we don’t get the thick end of £20m for him then I will be disappointed.

So whilst I am not suggesting we will necessarily be flush with cash in the summer there are certainly things which might change the financial landscape quite a bit.

we are missing a serious discussion about our financial position.
Between the 'soft' loans and need for serious investment in quality players
the are serious financial issues not being addressed.
As with the denial of our football reality I suspect we are in denial of our financial situation

I'm not sure budget is that big a problem - it's that we've squandered cash for the last 3 seasons - first with Warburton (maybe not big cash outlays, but pissing money away with Barton, Kranjcar etc), don't need to say anything about the money wasted by Caixnha, utterly criminal, and much as I would love this year's signings to come good, it's looking like a good wedge wasted on Borna and Grezda.

we need to be a LOT more efficient with our limited budget, given we can't just throw more and more money at it.

Run the club in a sensible manner?

Sorry my point to the OP was there is no white knight coming over the horizon. Therefore whether the board have the funds or not we have to roll with them.

We can’t escape though that in modern football, more often than not the richer clubs prevail. We can run the club in a sensible manner, but you can guarantee if we continue not to win anything the support will turn.

I don't think the board have been found wanting when it comes to supplying funds, the players these funds are being spent on is another matter!

I think Gerrard will get £7m to £10m in summer.
Our scouting system isn't cutting it IMO.
We need to be honest now Mist on here felt that Defoe and Davis were solid bets Burke and Weah were just bets But they were adventurous and have scored plenty already. What happened to Mark Allen scouting great talent. Any clown can get Davis and Defoe. No imagination at all.

No, but then again, most want us to spend recklessly. I've got to say though, I was very underwhelmed with our spend this season.
We do need outside investment but doesn't seem tempting to anyone. That being said, we should be more than good enough to acquit ourselves better than we have.

We need to be honest now Mist on here felt that Defoe and Davis were solid bets Burke and Weah were just bets But they were adventurous and have scored plenty already. What happened to Mark Allen scouting great talent. Any clown can get Davis and Defoe. No imagination at all.

I just didn't get the excitment around Davis coming back, just not what was needed. Defoe, we would have been better keeping Hardie at the club. I'm guessing a lot of wages going out on these 2 for very little return, the no.10 we are crying out for would have been a better way to spend the money.

I know there are folk out there who have tight financial funds.

But we need more money to invest in the playing squad. I’d pay and extra £30/40 on my season ticket for next season.

Does the current board have the necessary funds to inject to allow us to overtake them.

From a footballing point of view, we are not that far behind them.

The biggest hurdle we’ve got to get over is the refereeing / SFA situation.
It’s not just a monetary issue that would solve that problem.

do they have the money? yes they've proven that with the gross spent

do they have the acumen to spend it? no

the acquisition of players these past few years is awful

for me the scouting department has been a bit of a failure.

On evidence so far, no.

This summer is a big test in terms of what our net spend will be. If the board can’t stump up decent funds to have us properly challenging then ST prices should reflect a club likely to finish 2nd and not what the prices currently are which are on par with what they were before 2012
Disagree. If they can’t find enough funds, the support need to giving more funding to the club, not less.

We need to get back to our rightful place ASAP and it’s going to need the support to dig deep.

We have spent big money in wages and transfer fees since our return to the top division

Garner, Pena, Herrera, Krancjar, Barton, Cardoso, Rossiter, Sendaross

Thats well over £10m in wages and fees for a start

With our resources and facilities at our disposal we should be doing better than we are

I’d say that’s all we need. Improvement year on year has been vast.

Any other job and an appraisal KPI situation would probably get him a raise.

The improvement this season has been vast. Last season teams were coming to Ibrox looking to win and we couldn't handle that. Now all teams except them park the bus, which has become a new problem. We are more physical and haven't been bullied out of games like last season. We've shown we can go to difficult away grounds and win - Tynecastle and Pittodrie, and we have shown that in a one off game we have the beating of the scum. Still a long way to go to win a league but we are getting progress. A cup win would be a big reward for us.

Does the current board have the necessary funds to inject to allow us to overtake them.

did Leicester have the funds to win the EPL? Do Killie have more money than Hibs?

We waste too much money on average players or old guys , and we can't attract real quality into this league.

The improvement this season has been vast. Last season teams were coming to Ibrox looking to win and we couldn't handle that. Now all teams except them park the bus, which has become a new problem. We are more physical and haven't been bullied out of games like last season. We've shown we can go to difficult away grounds and win - Tynecastle and Pittodrie, and we have shown that in a one off game we have the beating of the scum. Still a long way to go to win a league but we are getting progress. A cup win would be a big reward for us.

The league is gone, winning the SC is a must. St Pats can't be allowed to win 3 trebles in a row.

We have bought Barasic,Grezda for little return so far.Big money for us considering our situation.Did we really watch them before we signed them,or was it just on the back of the way they played aganst us?
Defoe,Davis,Lafferty signed for little to show for it ,although I absolve JD so far because he is not suited to the way we are playing him.
Jordan Jones what I have seen of him does not seem any better than what we have at present.
I think the board have backed SG pretty well but some of his and Mark Allans signings have been questionable for the outlay.
As someone posted above they have strengthend since we beat them with younger hungrier players we have not and so far it has showed.
We needed players to come in ready to play after the break,not needing games to get "match fit"
A massive improvement is needed on Wednesday or our season is over,just don't see any way back in the league now.

We need to spend money better rather than more of it.

Last season is old ground now, but we basically wasted an entire year’s budget on signings who are no longer at the club.

This year we have made some good signings but others which are at the moment for me questionable.

There is absolutely no excuse to get dragged down into a fight for second with Aberdeen and Kilmarnock again based on the wages we are paying out in comparison, but you know it’s coming.

If Alfie goes Gerrard will get £15M+ to spend in the summer.
If Morelos goes then I would expect we will receive the thick end of £20m for him. In which case I would be disappointed if Gerrard only got £15m to spend. I would be hoping that Gerrard gets whatever he brings in by way of transfer fees plus another £5m or so.

We are already overspending to a degree that is unsustainable in the long run just to elevate ourselves a bit above the likes of Killie and Aberdeen. There cannot be any scope for even more money to be chucked at the problem. The issue is how it's being spent, not the amount.

The board have put plenty enough money to be much much closer to the manks, its the football side that has messed up time and time again.

Back