Punting Josh Windass - a mistake?

Xavi Hernandez

The critics would say that Windass only scored goals against shite opposition....but we are missing his goals against the "shite".

Goals has been a problem all season from our midfielders and wide men and if we don't sort this we will win nothing.

He is not exactly tearing it up at Wigan but was a more effective player for us than was given credit for.

Not convinced Windass specifically is the issue, but it has felt all season like we don't have enough creativity and goals coming from midfield. Celtic seem to have much greater firepower across their team, although I haven't checked the stats to confirm.

Not really. His 20 goals last season kept us going at times but he wouldn't fit into our midfield 3 or front 3 as a winger.

Can i ask why? 20 goals he scored. That will probably me more than our midfield 3 and two wide men put together this season.

We have far too many similar players who can't score and can't break teams down.

Not convinced Windass specifically is the issue, but it has felt all season like we don't have enough creativity and goals coming from midfield. Celtic seem to have much greater firepower across their team, although I haven't checked the stats to confirm.

Agreed, Windass is not necessarily the answer, but we are missing a player who is somewhat similar.

Everyone and his granny can see we are missing a No.10

I am not saying that we should have got him but a player like Lewis MacLeod is just what we need right now.

He'd be a great part of the squad, and for games like Saturday where he'd be anon and pop up with a goal, we'd be winning 1-0.

Whether his ego would let him be a squad player is another matter

Oh FFS not this again. Guy was about as much use as a chocolate fireplace. He's now in a Wigan squad that is 19th in the championship. He's found his level. He's also thick as mince and thinks he's Johan Cruyff. Not the requisite material for this team

What does that say for the rest of our midfield and wide men then if Windass has found his level?

Can i ask why? 20 goals he scored. That will probably me more than our midfield 3 and two wide men put together this season.

We have far too many similar players who can't score and can't break teams down.
He can't play as a winger. Doesn't have the workrate to play in a midfield 3. And won't replace Morelos. He definitely doesn't fit.

He is clearly a goal threat, I appreciate that but I don't see how we could have the luxury of playing him in this set up.

His goals would have been great to add to the total and his would potentially have scored in the games where we have been lacking. But that’s all on paper.

In reality, the lad is a self-centred pain in the arse and I struggle to see how he would have fitted into the structure of this Rangers team. He would likely have been on the bench and moaning like %^*& for most of the season.

According to Gerrard, Windass wanted to be our regular number 9 and Gerrard understandably couldn’t offer him that. We received a decent offer, Windass was happy to go and that’s the end of the story really.

I do think he would have given us a different sort of option, which we lack at the moment though. Windass clearly had bags of pace and could finish. Trouble is, he’s also very inconsistent much like many of our players seem to be at the moment so I don’t think he’d have been the answer anyway. He’s a decent player but ultimately we need better. I also think Gerrard would have lost patience with him quickly had he stayed. Probably best for all concerned that he moved on.

We need to find players of similar ilk to christie and mcgregor IMO, players that can pretty much do everything in midfield. Box to box, can defend and shoot. If you watch the mentally challengeds (grim i know) they two dont stop running up and down the park all game. Always moving into space, always wanting the ball. They can shoot they can make runs in behind they can dribble they can assist. With players like mcrorie and jack you hardly get any of that apart from the defensive ability and mcrories energy etc.

His goals would have been great to add to the total and his would potentially have scored in the games where we have been lacking. But that’s all on paper.

In reality, the lad is a self-centred pain in the arse and I struggle to see how he would have fitted into the structure of this Rangers team. He would likely have been on the bench and moaning like %^*& for most of the season.

That's another question them - is the structure of the team correct for what we need in the SPL against poorer oppistion? We have a very similar midfield 3 who are solid enough but offer little in the final third.

Our wide men will run all day and track. But the end product can be poor.

Josh had something about him but lacked intelligence to play the role managees wanted him to and selling him on was decent business.

What does that say for the rest of our midfield and wide men then if Windass has found his level?

Not much given our £8m rated captain couldn’t get a game for them.

If anything it might say that our level is the championship? Unfortunately that’s the case and I don’t think many would argue. The mentally challengeds aren’t at a higher level either before anyone jumps in to wet their drawers.

Windass just isn’t the answer.
If he was still here we would not have any more points as what we would gain on the swings and all that.

In a 4,3,3 you need all three front men weighing in with goals, pace, intelligent passing, a little trickery and energy.

Windass maybe had one of those qualities. I’m not battering into the lad, as I never felt he was as bad as some made out, but I wouldn’t want him back. Let’s just leave it at that.

If Windass consistently played to his ability then he would be starting for an EPL side and regularly getting caps for England.

Gerrard had time to evaluate him and decided that he obviously didn't have the right mentality, and I'm happy to trust the gaffers judgement here - even if I was one of Windass' regular defenders (more out of hope that he would eventually turn into the player I felt he had the potential to be).

Certainly missing his goals tally from midfield,just think how many he could have scored,if he was a good player?

I don't think letting him go was a mistake. He didn't fit in to the formation or the tactics. If he had stayed Gerrard wouldn't have played him so what would have been the point?

Agreed, Windass is not necessarily the answer, but we are missing a player who is somewhat similar.

Everyone and his granny can see we are missing a No.10

I am not saying that we should have got him but a player like Lewis MacLeod is just what we need right now.

This is how I feel.

We don’t miss Josh, but we miss a Josh type, and with a heart.

You'll have everybody saying no because Josh Windass is persona non grata on here.

I'm far from his biggest fan and wasn't bothered to see him away. However, you lose 18 goals and 8 assists, then you need to replace it. We replaced it with an Albanian crock who looks unsuited to the Scottish game so far.

We don't have anyone offering goals regularly enough from the wings or midfield.

That thought entered my mind when I was heading home after the game on Saturday.

With the benefit of hindsight I’d have preferred we’d kept a hold of him, just my opinion pretty sure most Bears will disagree.

It's easy to look back & say we're missing the goals he scored last season - but that would ignore both the way we play now & the times he was not much more than a luxury before

I'd be surprised SG would have had much patience with his disappearing acts & I can't see where he would have fitted in this line-up

From what I can gather - his erratic inconsistency has been a problem with his current club as well

Said it on another thread, you don't have to like the guy to agree with your point. Much like Goss, you will miss a player you don't actually replace with an upgrade, I am confident there are plenty of players who could do what they did but better but when you don't sign them then you do miss them, simple as that.

It was mentioned plenty of times earlier in the season that the loss of his goals (and Murphy's) had to be replaced and it looks like it hasn't. Murphy and Windass had 40 plus goal contributions between the two of them last season and Murphy was only here from January. It's a huge chunk of goals we have lost.

Windass has his limitations but he was a goal threat, of that there's no doubt. I get the off the ball issues people have with him but we're not finding an attacking mid who's scoring 20 a season whilst off the ball he's like Ngolo Kante as well covering 11k per game and smashing into tackles.

Just posted on another thread there Rogic, Sinclair, McGregor and Forrest must have about 40 odd goals between them already this season and god knows how many assists. How many goals do our attacking mids have between them? Half of that if we are lucky?

That's the main difference between the two sides.

The critics would say that Windass only scored goals against shite opposition....but we are missing his goals against the "shite".

Goals has been a problem all season from our midfielders and wide men and if we don't sort this we will win nothing.

He is not exactly tearing it up at Wigan but was a more effective player for us than was given credit for.
Take her medication mate before it's too late

Back