Punting Josh Windass - a mistake?

Lack of goals from candieas and Kent and any of the midfield heap pressure on the lone striker mainly Morelos . Lafferty also does not score but then again he doesn't play

Couldve done a job at number 10, however, another shitebag who didnt perform infront of the home crowd.

Maybe just maybe, it’s because teams sit in at Ibrox more than their own grounds and the space wasn’t there for him to get in behind.
But hey, easier to just call them shitebags rather than think for 3 seconds

The critics would say that Windass only scored goals against shite opposition....but we are missing his goals against the "shite".

Goals has been a problem all season from our midfielders and wide men and if we don't sort this we will win nothing.

He is not exactly tearing it up at Wigan but was a more effective player for us than was given credit for.

of course it was - he was a lot better than some we have now.

He would have needed a significant attitude adjustment for it to work under someone of Gerrard's calibre.

A decent player but he's at Wigan for a reason.

I didn't want him going but the reality is, other than his purple patch, he went missing far too often. Check out some of the Wigan forums and you'll see their opinion of him. They think we robbed them when we managed to get £2m from them.

1,000,000% the correct decision to sell him.

Anyone in doubt just watch that Si Ferry interview.

a year ago today he scored a hat trick away to Hamilton. Who will do that this weekend?. I think he could have played at Ibrox this season when teams sit in and would have found a way to turn draws into wins

You'll have everybody saying no because Josh Windass is persona non grata on here.

I'm far from his biggest fan and wasn't bothered to see him away. However, you lose 18 goals and 8 assists, then you need to replace it. We replaced it with an Albanian crock who looks unsuited to the Scottish game so far.

We don't have anyone offering goals regularly enough from the wings or midfield.
I was further from his biggest fan but it's hard to disagree with that mate.

He was a pain in the arse.

He'd score a goal then be non existant for the rest of a game.

When he didn't score it was like playing with 10 men.

Classic one was last season when we had a chance to win the OF game and cut Brenda’s lead down to 3 points.

He came out of the traps like a man possessed and scored early doors. Celtic were terrible and we should’ve got a second.

Instead, he disappeared. Like a celebrated his goal then just vanished.

Maybe just maybe, it’s because teams sit in at Ibrox more than their own grounds and the space wasn’t there for him to get in behind.

Aye you're right mate, he wasnt a shitebag. He was a total warrior.

Aye you're right mate, he wasnt a shitebag. He was a total warrior.

It’s easy to just label anyone who doesn’t perform a shitebag, if you look at it a bit closer you’ll see there’s actually other reasons.

I think I was one of the few who actually thought we had a very good player in Windass.I like most got frustrated with him at times but when he was in the mood he was unplayable at times.We will never know if he would have fitted into our team but one things for sure our front 4 or 5(including midfielders)isn’t good enough.Candaies puts lots of effort in but offers absolutely nothing as a threat going forward.
I hate comparing us to the bheggars but their front 5 all have goals in them and that’s even without their best player,Rogic.
The gaffer must sign a couple of forward thinking midfielders in the summer as we have 8 midfielders all of the same muchness.

The critics would say that Windass only scored goals against shite opposition....but we are missing his goals against the "shite".

Goals has been a problem all season from our midfielders and wide men and if we don't sort this we will win nothing.

He is not exactly tearing it up at Wigan but was a more effective player for us than was given credit for.
Yes a fully fit and on form Windass driving forward from midfield would be a definite bonus.The problem for me is he didn't do it often enough and would often go missing in games,a definite case of unfulfilled potential.

The big issue is we haven't replaced his goals and assist so in a way it was a mistake to let him go without an adequate replacement.

No we haven't, we set up our team last season to help Windass get those goals.

If he was still here we wouldn't be playing the same way with him as the focal point.

Injuries and loss of form have hampered us more.

Oh FFS not this again. Guy was about as much use as a chocolate fireplace. He's now in a Wigan squad that is 19th in the championship. He's found his level. He's also thick as mince and thinks he's Johan Cruyff. Not the requisite material for this team

Id be very surprised if a chocolate fireplace could score 18 goals and have 8 assists in a football season. So thats abit of a ridiculous thing to say.

Josh Windass would have went hiding on Saturday after us not scoring in 15 minutes like he did in so many games at Ibrox or is that just totally forgotten about?

I think all his goals bar 2 were scored away. We had the best away record last year. We didn't replace his goals our wingers and midfield are not scoring enough.We need more creativity in the midfield especially for home games as most teams sit in with 10 behind the ball.

Yes in the context of what we had at our disposal and have replaced with since.

Windass offered us far more then Grezda or Middelton have, both of whom have played minutes this season - and he offered more of a goal thread than Candieas.

He showed the ability to finish chances last season - the loose play that went on behind him was down to awful tactical plan from Murty and CB's like Russel Martin playing oft, little Windass could do about that.

I said this eariler in the season. We needed to replace him with someone who could replace his goals. But thats hindsight for you.

5 goals in 30 games, he certainly isn't tearing it up.

We do miss him as an option in the squad without a doubt, especially his late runs in to the box.

The problem though is that he wanted to be a number 9 for us and was never going to replace Alfredo. If he put his head down and was willing to play as a 10 or on the wing i would have kept him but it was his own lack of desire and commitment that forced Gerrard's hand.

The thing is, if that was the main reason, and it could have been, then he still wouldn’t have been able to help on Saturday against a team who sat in. Or on other weekends when we faced the same problem.

Selling Windass was the right thing to do, we got decent money for him and he hasn't exactly set the heather alight down south this season either. The problem was not adequately replacing him. Grezda hasn't got going at all.

I wouldn't say so. He has a terrible attitude and needed the team built around him to be effective - which it wouldn't have been this season.

He's not tearing it at Wigan just as he WASN'T TEARING it at Ibrox.

You want tae get yer brain back in gear and start thinking back, yer memory is a little bit sozzled coz that's not reality.

He's not tearing it at Wigan just as he WASN'T TEARING it at Ibrox.

You want tae get yer brain back in gear and start thinking back, yer memory is a little bit sozzled coz that's not reality.

I never said he was tearing it up at Ibrox. But he was offering an end product against shite in the league. No one else from a midfield / attacking midfield point of view is offering it.

Last edited:
He really only turned it on for a period barely spanning a few months, and too many of this goals were in cup games against sides outwith our league.

So I’d say no. Personally, I’m quite pleased that brain dead fanny will never play for us again.

Not the player specifically, albeit he did offer something different to what we currently have, but not replacing his goal return looks negligent in hindsight.

I’m so glad we got rid of him

Fu*k sake let's not get all revisionist about Josh Windass. Aye we've got some utter shitebags of players now who aren't good enough so let's not wish we had kept another.

You do wonder if it’s desperation for some , or possibly posters at the wind up .

Josh Windass ffs . We stole £2 million from Wigan and should forever celebrate getting shot of him .

Back