Warburton: i should have trusted my gut more on transfers

Was talking to Si yesterday. He said Warburton has a lot of anger about the way things turned out a Rangers but he wouldn’t elaborate on it.

really thought this was the man for us ,stories about him finding young talent ,knowledge of the english leagues .bottom line a waste of our time and money .

The man signed Niko Kranjcar and gave him a multi year contract, when he was playing retirement football at an American club in a regional league. He made some terrible decisions.
So Warburton said, "get me Kranjcar", when he could have had a very wide selection of alternatives?

The amount of disrespect shown to Warburton leaves a lot to be desired; most of which ignores the context of where the club was when he took the job.

The richest club in the Championship with an excessive wage bill who had previously underperformed....

Boo hoo - had to take a gun to a knife fight against teams like Alloa and faced competition from Hibs.

Last edited:
The richest clubs in the Championship with an excessive wage bill who had previously underperformed....

Boo hoo - had to take a gun to a knife fight against teams like Alloa and faced competition from Hibs.
It's far far harder to play for Rangers, or manage Rangers, than most other clubs. Finding those players in the situation we've been in is even harder.

The amount of disrespect shown to Warburton leaves a lot to be desired; most of which ignores the context of where the club was when he took the job.

I’ll continue to disrespect him as long as I live because him and Weir were plotting behind our backs to bail out and join Nottingham Forest . He then was caught and lied that they didn’t , lo and behold when we fire him where does he go ?

Nottingham Forest .

Coincidence or a lying snake ?

But you want us to respect him ? Keep wanting pal .

I’ll continue to disrespect him as long as I live because him and Weir were plotting behind our backs to bail out and join Nottingham Forest . He then was caught and lied that they didn’t , lo and behold when we fire him where does he go ?

Nottingham Forest .

Coincidence or a lying snake ?

But you want us to respect him ? Keep wanting pal .
I don't respect his leaving, I won't defend him there, but this about his transfers, particularly after we were promoted.

It's far far harder to play for Rangers, or manage Rangers, than most other clubs. Finding those players in the situation we've been in is even harder.

You have lost me a bit..

He had an excessive budget at his disposal, far greater than all the teams in the league, how was that harder?

So Warburton said, "get me Kranjcar", when he could have had a very wide selection of alternatives?
Kranjcar and Barton were disastrously bad signings, like many (but not all) others. He deserves all the abuse he gets for these two alone. Joey Barton FFS, who could have guessed that would be a car crash.

As for disrespect, the manner in which he left us sees his title of Snake aptly earned.

Was talking to Si yesterday. He said Warburton has a lot of anger about the way things turned out a Rangers but he wouldn’t elaborate on it.

He has absolutely no right to be angry.

He tried to find a new club for himself, thought he had, then when it hit problems, attempted to backtrack claiming he was doing nothing of the sort and that we were forcing him out instead.

It was utter rubbish and he knows it.

You have lost me a bit..

He had an excessive budget at his disposal, far greater than all the teams in the league, how was that harder?
Do you think that what a player costs guarantees a return on what that player will do at this club, even if he costs more than the values of other teams in that division? History says something entirely different.

Warburton done good for rangers in the championship, had us playing well and beating spl teams, given more time be MIGHT have been successful in the spl.
The disrespect comes from the disrespect he should us when he left.

Do you think that what a player costs guarantees a return on what that player will do at this club, even if he costs more than the values of other teams in that division? History says something entirely different.

When you are spending the best part of 1 million pounds on players, more than I assume clubs in the Scottish Championship have collectively spent on transfer fees in the last 20 years you are certainly in a far more advantageous and privileged positions than your opposition.

our situation when he arrived wasn't that unique for the Championship, most sides loose a load of players every summer and have to rebuild - they just don't get to get to do it from the fortuitous position Warburton was afforded.

Warburton done good for rangers in the championship, had us playing well and beating spl teams, given more time be MIGHT have been successful in the spl.
The disrespect comes from the disrespect he should us when he left.
That's a different matter, but on a football level I think he deserves a bit more respect when we evaluate his time here.

When you are spending the best part of 1 million pounds on players, more than I assume clubs in the Scottish Championship have collectively spent on transfer fees in the last 20 years you are certainly in a far more advantageous and privileged positions than your opposition.

our situation when he arrived wasn't that unique for the Championship, most sides loose a load of players every summer and have to rebuild - they just don't get to get to do it from the fortuitous position Warburton was afforded.
It was a unique situation for Rangers; you do remember the previous season?

He was working his ticket that entire season and that's why he gets abuse.

He was working his ticket that entire season and that's why he gets abuse.
I'd that's true, and I have no reason to disbelieve it, then it saddens me. I liked him, he was innovative and the first half of that semi final will live long in my memory. I can only speak about him in terms of what he did as manager.

It was a unique situation for Rangers; you do remember the previous season?

It was unique to Rangers, but that's not overly relevant to Warburton as our history had little to do with the job he was asked to do, 9IAR had little to do with the job he had.

He was given the job, first season, to get us out the Championship and given an excessive budget to do so - that's not an overly challenging ask upon arrival.

It was unique to Rangers, but that's not overly relevant to Warburton as our history had little to do with the job he was asked to do, 9IAR had little to do with the job he had.

He was given the job, first season, to get us out the Championship and given an excessive budget to do so - that's not an overly challenging ask upon arrival.
And we were promoted, after winning it.

And we were promoted, after winning it.

Were we %^*& I had forgo....no I hadn't I totally remember and despite that still think he is a gibbering, self posturing, self promotional twat who spend too much time posturing his own opinion from the minute he walked in the door....till the moment he left....and continues to do so now.

People haven't forgot where we are when he took over.

Met expectations in the Championship, looked lost from the minute we were promoted.

Off field issues aside, we came up with a £6m wage budget and spent about £2m.

We then proceeded to throw about £15m (including compensation and pay off fees) on the Pedro experiment, as well as increasing the average wage by about 40%.

Would we have been any worse in those 2 years if we had just given that money to Warburton? I can’t imagine so. He wanted guys like Mawson, Tarkowski and Abraham.

Were we %^*& I had forgo....no I hadn't I totally remember and despite that still think he is a gibbering, self posturing, self promotional twat who spend too much time posturing his own opinion from the minute he walked in the door....till the moment he left....and continues to do so now.

People haven't forgot where we are when he took over.

Met expectations in the Championship, looked lost from the minute we were promoted.
I disagree; I think this club is something you never quite get over if youhave had the honour of being it's manager. I haven't had the chance to read the OP, but that either Warburton, or maybe even Le Guen every wish they could do it differently and spend a considerable time thinking about it wouldn't surprise me.

He signed MOH after he ran amok against us, he also wanted to splurge 1.2 mill on Jonny Hayes too after playing well against us. Seems to me his approach to transfers wasn’t very scientific.

I'd that's true, and I have no reason to disbelieve it, then it saddens me. I liked him, he was innovative and the first half of that semi final will live long in my memory. I can only speak about him in terms of what he did as manager.

That's your choice. Many of us will also choose to reflect on the utter disrespect he showed the club when he manufactured an exit to Forest. He might be angry, according to Si, but obviously not quite angry enough to cough up the money to take us on legally, like he said he would. I wonder why that is...

Back