Argentine Superliga

Maradona and Brindisi at Boca:

DzubexKXQAInMiW.jpg:large

The second goal for Argentinos is simply outstanding. Perversely, one of the most depressing aspects of this thread are the constant reminders that we’ll never see a similar goal scored by a Rangers player. If only someone could crack the secret of Argentine football, steal it and bring it to Auchenhowie?

He was obviously a good player but the real star of that group was Sivori. He was John Charles longstanding strike partner at Juventus. Sivori is held at the same level as the likes of Kempes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Omar_Sívori

Some player then. I remember seeing Kempes being clapped off the field after destroying us in 1980, I think. Probably reported by Ian Archer as sectarian abuse.

He was superb. I wonder if he would be rated even higher if Maradona didn’t come so soon afterwards.

Some player then. I remember seeing Kempes being clapped off the field after destroying us in 1980, I think. Probably reported by Ian Archer as sectarian abuse.

He was superb. I wonder if he would be rated even higher if Maradona didn’t come so soon afterwards.

Probably not as he is still rated in the level below the top three.

It's more the likes of Bochini who would probably have become more of a name if it hadn't been for Maradona.

Going slightly off-topic: Just saw this picture of Del Piero meeting John Charles (Sivori's strike partner - so the post has a suggestion of Argieball :D):

Dz_cWjAWsAAzURk.jpg

Going slightly off-topic: Just saw this picture of Del Piero meeting John Charles (Sivori's strike partner - so the post has a suggestion of Argieball :D):

Dz_cWjAWsAAzURk.jpg

That’s a brilliant pic. Both not bad too.

Listened to Jimbo Richardson’s Golazzo podcast with Gab Marcotti recently on Del Piero and I thought Gab was a bit hard on him. He didn’t have the utter fantasy of other Italian 10’s, in fairness.

Last edited:
For those who might be interested: the big match tonight sees Defensa host Boca. A win for the home side would see them stay on equal points with league leaders Racing. KO 00:30 in the UK.

D0G-DaWXgAYG4_2.jpg:large

Forgot all about this:

21st February was the 126th anniversary of the Argentinian Football Association. The founder was Gorbals boy, Alexander Watson Hutton:

Dz78fEHWwAExvmk.jpg:large

For those who might be interested: the big match tonight sees Defensa host Boca. A win for the home side would see them stay on equal points with league leaders Racing. KO 00:30 in the UK.

D0G-DaWXgAYG4_2.jpg:large

I really thought Defensa would beat Boca as they’ve been so strong at home but old Carlos put paid to that!

I really thought Defensa would beat Boca as they’ve been so strong at home but old Carlos put paid to that!

Defensa should have got something from the game. They had most of the play, most of the chances (one really bad miss) and a goalie error gave Tevez his goal. Way it goes. Still all to play for, though.

A refreshing look to the Argentine squad in a number of ways.

I'll presume Aguero is out to allow him to concentrate on his fitness given his recent problems and the pressures of games with Man City. Or a way of isolating Messi a little and breaking up the influence of players?

A refreshing look to the Argentine squad in a number of ways.

I'll presume Aguero is out to allow him to concentrate on his fitness given his recent problems and the pressures of games with Man City. Or a way of isolating Messi a little and breaking up the influence of players?

Think it is more to give the other players a game as they need to see how the younger players will perform.

Messi will only play against Venezuela.

Didn't manage to get to a game, but did manage to expand the shirt collection.

£7.46 each.

iy38VOx.jpg

San Lorenzo de Almagro
Club Atlético Independiente
Racing Club de Avellaneda
Club Atlético River Plate
Boca Juniors

Didn't manage to get to a game, but did manage to expand the shirt collection.

£7.46 each.

iy38VOx.jpg

San Lorenzo de Almagro
Club Atlético Independiente
Racing Club de Avellaneda
Club Atlético River Plate
Boca Juniors

Hope you had a good time.

Not tempted by any of the strips from teams outside the big 5?

Hope you had a good time.

Not tempted by any of the strips from teams outside the big 5?

Had great time, I love Buneos Aires.

To be honest, I wanted to start my Argentinian collection with the easy ones to find (all but Club Atlético Independiente) and didn't really find good quality shirts in my size.

On the last day did find a shop with tons of retro shirts and worn shirts from the lesser known teams but I didn't like the quality and the shop didn't accept cards for some reason so I couldn't get the retro ones for 15 quid.

Going back in December before we move to Europe and am going to try and get this one (among others)

0025989458.png

Back