Albion Rovers - looks bleak

I know a couple of folk in the Rovers trust and went to a fundraiser on Friday at Coatbridge bowling club where there was about 60 folk and they raised £1,500 and have a few more fundraising nights coming up but it is the same folk turning up and putting their hands in their pockets for these events and these folk are not well off so fair play to them.

I stay 10 minutes in the car from them, never been to their stadium once, couldn't care less if they went under, far too many teams in Scotland, f.uck it feels like we've played Killie 47 times this season already.

The SFA and associated bodies can do one.
Not too sound like a knob, but, surely saying there are too many teams in Scotland and then complaining about how many times we've played the same team are 2 opposite arguments lol?

I do agree though, there are far too many teams for a country this size!

Scottish football needs a massive rethink and overhaul, sadly I think it will take a number of clubs to go to the wall before that happens.

A victim of the same ten shit teams playing each other 4 times a year with travel across all of Scotland.

The SPFL are to blame for any club going under.

I know a couple of folk in the Rovers trust and went to a fundraiser on Friday at Coatbridge bowling club where there was about 60 folk and they raised £1,500 and have a few more fundraising nights coming up but it is the same folk turning up and putting their hands in their pockets for these events and these folk are not well off so fair play to them.
Thing is, they don't seem to engage the local community in any way and events like that should be widely advertised somehow.

They should be chapping doors or dropping leaflets through doors to encourage people to support their local team and come along to these types of events.

I've lived in Coatbridge most of my life, have 9 year old boy and I can honestly say I've never seen them involved in any football related event in his school which is a stones throw away from their ground.

There's not enough money in our game to support the amount of clubs in this current set up. Teams must join forces or face a bleak future.
There's some junior clubs that would easily replace them though.

Yes there is. With the addition of the Lowland League, EOS League etc clubs like Albion Rovers find their level over time.

A bigger problem for teams like these is the ridiculous amounts of money being spent on Part-time players, £200-£300 a week. Ridiculous.

I'd agree, seems to be plenty ambition about EK. Do they have plans to move on from K Park at any point?

Its a great facility but they'd surely want more of a stadium should they get promoted?

They've certainly applied for planning permission for a ground up at Langlands. Unsure if it is been approved or not but they definitely in the pipeline

Have two friends who support them.

Absolutely passionate about the club and never miss a game. Means everything to them.

Both non RC’s and couldn’t give a stuff about Celtic

Both have told me in recent months that the financial situation at the club is grim.

Both puzzled as to where the money from Cup ties against Rangers,Celtic and Motherwell went.

They lost Darren Young in the summer as they told him they wouldn't have money to back him with players as his budget was getting cut again. They hired a manager from the juniors to replace Young and he basically signed junior players from clubs he had managed in the past.

The money they got from games against us was used to improve their ground.

I doubt there’s been 250k spent on the ground since there inception never mind a few years ago, surely half the ground wouldn’t be a total health and safety issue and unable to hold fans if it had been?

Yes there is. With the addition of the Lowland League, EOS League etc clubs like Albion Rovers find their level over time.

A bigger problem for teams like these is the ridiculous amounts of money being spent on Part-time players, £200-£300 a week. Ridiculous.

Nobody at Albion Rovers is getting anywhere near that. In fact I know a boy who was playing there for £20 a week a few years ago.

I’ve read this thread with interest. As someone who has attended ARFC for over 40 years and former chairman of their supporters club I feel I should add my tuppence worth. The ground was severely neglected for 30 years and the new legislation after Bradford/Heysel/ Hillsborough basically killed it off. Cliftonhill is a large site. A few people might be surprised to learn that acreage wise it is larger than Pittodrie for instance. I disagree that rovers fans are Tims without the bus fare but accept that Rovers can never really be successful as the majority of Coatbridge will only ever support the beggars. As for this season. In my opinion we are doomed although I still think we are better than an absolutely dreadful Berwick side. As for myself I try to get to Ibrox a few times a season to cheer the Gers on and always enjoy my visits. I’ll probably know a few of you from Carson’s. Good luck to Rovers and Rangers

I’ve read this thread with interest. As someone who has attended ARFC for over 40 years and former chairman of their supporters club I feel I should add my tuppence worth. The ground was severely neglected for 30 years and the new legislation after Bradford/Heysel/ Hillsborough basically killed it off. Cliftonhill is a large site. A few people might be surprised to learn that acreage wise it is larger than Pittodrie for instance. I disagree that rovers fans are Tims without the bus fare but accept that Rovers can never really be successful as the majority of Coatbridge will only ever support the beggars. As for this season. In my opinion we are doomed although I still think we are better than an absolutely dreadful Berwick side. As for myself I try to get to Ibrox a few times a season to cheer the Gers on and always enjoy my visits. I’ll probably know a few of you from Carson’s. Good luck to Rovers and Rangers

You could say the same thing for clubs all over the central belt and probably beyond.

Towns don't value their local football club nearly as much as they should. Take a kid along to a lower league game and you'll find them watching in disbelief as they witness stray passing, industrial tackling and long balls. To them that just isnt football. Then there's the adults who bought into televised top flight football in a big way and who wouldn't dream of going to a game on a Saturday afternoon - why leave the couch, the pub or the bookies to watch a game in the cold when you can track results from the warmth of whatever venue suits you? Add in adults who judge football fans against the horror stories of English hooliganism and through the actions of a minority of old firm fans who take the rivalry too far. They'll happily go along to Scotstoun or Braehead to follow the rugby or the hockey but wouldn't go to watch Albion Rovers, Clyde, Dumbarton or Queens Park.

We absolutely need massive change within Scottish football but that needs to be matched by a change in Scottish society. The only thing that will improve the situation is for more people to attend matches. Playing around with the number of clubs or inventing new leagues that will end up being of an almost indistinguishable level will be no more effective than rearranging deckchairs on the Titanic.

Yeah mate, they're building a 4,000 seater at Langlands.

It's just a few minutes drive from K Park.

Don’t know if they actually have planning permission from SLC for this yet. I live within walking distance of the site in question.

There has been dispute after dispute with the council about this over a period of years because the council don’t want to have to provide money to it as they are skint.

As for EK FC, they are a great wee club with a loyal following and have a lot of ambition to get in to league 2. There was a lot of disappointment when they lost out to Cowdenbeath in the play offs about 18 months ago, however they have dominated everyone in the Lowland league this year and look a good shout to go up.

I know every team has their own financial difficulties and local complexities, but you would really think/hope these teams would have been set up for at least a decade with 4 games a season against Rangers in the lower leagues. Maybe this is fantasy on my part but when the part time sides draw Rangers or Celtic in the Scottish cup they say how it will set them up for a couple of years but I guess this is more to do with tv money and 50% of a away game at Ibrox. Ultimately its just sad and imagine the boost a Colts team from us or them would add to attendances yet there seems to be a fair bit of resistance

Were Albion the only team we didn't play

Have two friends who support them.

Absolutely passionate about the club and never miss a game. Means everything to them.

Both non RC’s and couldn’t give a stuff about Celtic

Both have told me in recent months that the financial situation at the club is grim.

Both puzzled as to where the money from Cup ties against Rangers,Celtic and Motherwell went.
They pissed it away chasing (and getting) promotion to League One and overpaying rubbish players when they were told to stockpile it for a rainy day.

A once proud club (supported by a couple of pals of mine) with their own assets (stadium etc) but adrift at bottom of League 2. The general feeling is that if they drop out the leagues it will be flats soon...local council very unwilling to find a sportsground they can use and local people tend to support ra hoopsh.

A shame, they once played in cup finals, and in the top division.

Great wee stadium too as it has a wee pub inside it and terracing where people can abuse linesmen and players!
Is a dump mate probably worst in Scottish football

Sure they'd make it up from the league below. With Selkirk dropping out this season, it already is an odd number.

Is it next season or the season after that the east of Scotland league becomes part of the pyramid? Plenty of big junior sides who will be in the lowland league soon.

I doubt there’s been 250k spent on the ground since there inception never mind a few years ago, surely half the ground wouldn’t be a total health and safety issue and unable to hold fans if it had been?

Think work was done to improve the facilities like changing rooms and in the stand that's used for supporters. They also added some terracing behind one of the goals. Think owners took some of it as well.

Before then even bud, this four times a season league should have died out with the fine fare premier league.

Clubs should be able to budget for playing one home and one away tie like a normal league. No wonder punters aren't turning up when it's the same matches every week. Even for the derbies, less is more. Imagine only getting one chance to beat them at Ibrox in a season, the place would be absolute rocking. I know it can be amazing at the moment, but there are derby games that just feel like a run of the mill game.

SFA are just too weak to make any decisions and happy to drag it out as long as they can. They are sucking the life out of it.

Clubs should be able to budget for playing one home and one away tie like a normal league. No wonder punters aren't turning up when it's the same matches every week. Even for the derbies, less is more. Imagine only getting one chance to beat them at Ibrox in a season, the place would be absolute rocking. I know it can be amazing at the moment, but there are derby games that just feel like a run of the mill game.

SFA are just too weak to make any decisions and happy to drag it out as long as they can. They are sucking the life out of it.

Seems so simple a way for our game to go doesn't it?

The majority of clubs can't be making more money playing each other four times a season, no chance. We are at a point no where the sheep and hivs have cut our allocation for no financial gain, so that excuse is gone.

I would like to think attendances would increase playing each other twice, as you say, one chance a year to beat them, the sheep and others, most games would see more demand surely?

Two divisions of 16 would be plenty for the top leagues, IMO.

Seems so simple a way for our game to go doesn't it?

The majority of clubs can't be making more money playing each other four times a season, no chance. We are at a point no where the sheep and hivs have cut our allocation for no financial gain, so that excuse is gone.

I would like to think attendances would increase playing each other twice, as you say, one chance a year to beat them, the sheep and others, most games would see more demand surely?

Two divisions of 16 would be plenty for the top leagues, IMO.

2 divisions of 16 would mean 15 home games a season. Are clubs going to drop 3 gates? Rangers and Celtic could. Are Falkirk or Morton going to lose out on 3 home games and cover the lost revenue?

2 divisions of 16 would mean 15 home games a season. Are clubs going to drop 3 gates? Rangers and Celtic could. Are Falkirk or Morton going to lose out on 3 home games and cover the lost revenue?

It was just an example, but yes long term I believe teams like Morton would see an increased attendance. Offering a more varied fixture list and more of a breathing space with a proper middle of the table would give us a better product, IMO of course.

Teams would obviously either find their natural slot or die off and be replaced through the pyramid system.

One things for sure, something has to change, or else the slow decline continues. Changing the league structure for the greater good should not be held back by teams who play in front of 100 or so people and offer little.

It's often forgotten on here that one of the main drivers to the 10-team league was Rangers. I'd be very surprised if the view of the club has changed much over the years.

It's often forgotten on here that one of the main drivers to the 10-team league was Rangers. I'd be very surprised if the view of the club has changed much over the years.

I get that mate, but it's part of the reason the game is dying off.

It was just an example, but yes long term I believe teams like Morton would see an increased attendance. Offering a more varied fixture list and more of a breathing space with a proper middle of the table would give us a better product, IMO of course.

Teams would obviously either find their natural slot or die off and be replaced through the pyramid system.

One things for sure, something has to change, or else the slow decline continues. Changing the league structure for the greater good should not be held back by teams who play in front of 100 or so people and offer little.

Morton would see an increased attendance being in a 16 team 2nd division? Really?

The championship has been ultra competitive for around 15 years, with the exception of the Hearts, Hibs and Rangers seasons. Its not long ago that Moreton were genuine promotion candidates.

Did it help crowds?

It didn't because the problems facing Scottish football are deeper that Rangers playing Aberdeen or Killie 6 or 7 times a year.

Morton would see an increased attendance being in a 16 team 2nd division? Really?

The championship has been ultra competitive for around 15 years, with the exception of the Hearts, Hibs and Rangers seasons. Its not long ago that Moreton were genuine promotion candidates.

Did it help crowds?

It didn't because the problems facing Scottish football are deeper that Rangers playing Aberdeen or Killie 6 or 7 times a year.

If I remember right, when they were chasing promotion they did have good crowds? For Morton anyway.

As I said, teams would find their natural slot or die off.

So you don't think less pressure on staying out the relegation zone would lead to better football being played and that maybe more people would want to watch that? Instead of teams being so bothered about dropping that they play large parts of the season packing their own box?

No doubt there are deeper problems, but the league structure is a fundamental one and people are piss bored watching the same dirge.

Things need to change in order for clubs to get people through the gates. Scottish football needs an entire top to bottom re-branding job.

Morton had a healthy crowd through at Ibrox for a league game in the Championship, I think they took the lead as well before we won 4 1.
They also made up lies about getting hit with a grand piano, dust bin, toilet pan, cruise missile and buckie bottles

Ok, i exaggerated for effect

If I remember right, when they were chasing promotion they did have good crowds? For Morton anyway.

As I said, teams would find their natural slot or die off.

So you don't think less pressure on staying out the relegation zone would lead to better football being played and that maybe more people would want to watch that? Instead of teams being so bothered about dropping that they play large parts of the season packing their own box?

No doubt there are deeper problems, but the league structure is a fundamental one and people are piss bored watching the same dirge.

Things need to change in order for clubs to get people through the gates. Scottish football needs an entire top to bottom re-branding job.

Thats the thing. The Championship has been highly competitive for a long time. That doesnt bring people through the gates.

We've raised 2 generations of kids who have grown up not going to football matches on a Saturday. They see football on TV or play it on their games consoles. It's not something that they actually go to on a Saturday afternoon. Until football is seen as something to attend on a Saturday afternoon and people are emotionally invested in their local clubs, the actual structure of the league will have little or no effect. It's a product that the Scottish public simply don't value.

Don’t know if they actually have planning permission from SLC for this yet. I live within walking distance of the site in question.

There has been dispute after dispute with the council about this over a period of years because the council don’t want to have to provide money to it as they are skint.

As for EK FC, they are a great wee club with a loyal following and have a lot of ambition to get in to league 2. There was a lot of disappointment when they lost out to Cowdenbeath in the play offs about 18 months ago, however they have dominated everyone in the Lowland league this year and look a good shout to go up.

I know there was an ongoing dispute for 5 years mate but i thought they were finally given the go ahead in 2017 (Could be wrong though).

I know a lot of Bears aren't fond of them due to the Keanes but between my mate playing for them & living nearby like yourself I would like to see it take off.

Thats the thing. The Championship has been highly competitive for a long time. That doesnt bring people through the gates.

We've raised 2 generations of kids who have grown up not going to football matches on a Saturday. They see football on TV or play it on their games consoles. It's not something that they actually go to on a Saturday afternoon. Until football is seen as something to attend on a Saturday afternoon and people are emotionally invested in their local clubs, the actual structure of the league will have little or no effect. It's a product that the Scottish public simply don't value.

I am not disagreeing with you, but, a highly competitive league which still puts out a piss poor product is not going to get people going to watch it. Nine men in a box lumping it up the park to a striker and then it getting lumped back down the park again won't encourage people to go no matter what the point gap is.

Your second point is something which is going to be extremely difficult to change, its a societal problem. Family structures have changed since I was a kid, as has family culture. Gone are the days where every Saturday your dad would take you to the game. People work weekends, the TV scheduling doesn't help, and people have more choice in what to do with their spare time.

Like I said, it needs a total do over from top to bottom, but for me the product put out has to be a primary focus, and everything that can help that has to be part of that. A new league structure would, IMO, help that.

One of their directors is a local councillor. Knights of Saint Columba sponsored a match of theirs recently I’m told. Council are paying off staff and would be able to accommodate them at Broadwood

Surely not possible with Clyde & Cumbernauld Colts already playing home games there.

A victim of the same ten shit teams playing each other 4 times a year with travel across all of Scotland.

The SPFL are to blame for any club going under.

IIRC a poll of the lower leagues which asked if they would consider regionalisation was almost entirely rejected, so clubs like Albion rovers are quite happy to play Peterhead on a Tuesday night

They'll happily go along to Scotstoun or Braehead to follow the rugby or the hockey but wouldn't go to watch Albion Rovers, Clyde, Dumbarton or Queens Park.

I'm no rugby fan, but, bored on a Friday night, I went along to Scotstoun to see what it was like. The crowd (somewhere between 5 and 10 thousand) adequately filled the ground and created a good atmosphere. The catering was good, including beer and a variety of food that you could easily buy and take to your seat. The rugby was genuinely entertaining, quite high scoring but you could see skill and speed resulting in end product and excitement for the fans, even if not a natural rugby lover. The whole experience was light years away from attending lower league football (and frankly many top flight matches too). I'd say only a few clubs in the Premiership are providing a comparable experience for their fans.

A significant factor in the demise of small clubs such as Albion Rovers has to be the growing access to watching football at home on television. While there was a time when I was interested in going out to other grounds to watch a match, if I couldn’t manage to get to a Rangers away game, there is no longer any appeal in doing that, especially when the facilities at lower league grounds are not so good. The younger generations have grown up supporting their chosen team and using television to watch other games and the chances of Albion Rovers and the like experiencing times of revival are remote. The rising costs of the upkeep of their grounds which are now too big for their requirements are a major problem.

I'm no rugby fan, but, bored on a Friday night, I went along to Scotstoun to see what it was like. The crowd (somewhere between 5 and 10 thousand) adequately filled the ground and created a good atmosphere. The catering was good, including beer and a variety of food that you could easily buy and take to your seat. The rugby was genuinely entertaining, quite high scoring but you could see skill and speed resulting in end product and excitement for the fans, even if not a natural rugby lover. The whole experience was light years away from attending lower league football (and frankly many top flight matches too). I'd say only a few clubs in the Premiership are providing a comparable experience for their fans.

Something that football has to face up to.

The Americanised experience on offer at Braehead would alienate a lot of long time football fans so it's not a case of football copying what works elsewhere.

But there does need to be a realisation that 2 of the ways that rugby and hockey have done well in the west of Scotland is in the way that they market the game and the way that they treat fans.

They make it a far more attractive prospect for people to attend, as much as the Eihl as a product is as far from top level world hockey as Scottish football is from La Liga.

A significant factor in the demise of small clubs such as Albion Rovers has to be the growing access to watching football at home on television. While there was a time when I was interested in going out to other grounds to watch a match, if I couldn’t manage to get to a Rangers away game, there is no longer any appeal in doing that, especially when the facilities at lower league grounds are not so good. The younger generations have grown up supporting their chosen team and using television to watch other games and the chances of Albion Rovers and the like experiencing times of revival are remote. The rising costs of the upkeep of their grounds which are now too big for their requirements are a major problem.

TV and the Internet are huge problems. Why bother going to your local team on a Saturday afternoon when you won't be watching anything that resembles TV football and you'll be in a ground that likely hasn't been modernised.

Its a big concern.

Something that football has to face up to.

The Americanised experience on offer at Braehead would alienate a lot of long time football fans so it's not a case of football copying what works elsewhere.

But there does need to be a realisation that 2 of the ways that rugby and hockey have done well in the west of Scotland is in the way that they market the game and the way that they treat fans.

They make it a far more attractive prospect for people to attend, as much as the Eihl as a product is as far from top level world hockey as Scottish football is from La Liga.
Braehead can be an expensive experience, especially if you dont drive. Particularly the way fixtures work (2 nights consecutively). It is a good night out but as you say it is miles away from being top level.

The one thing that does attract fans is success.

With the hegemony of Rangers & them over the past decades there is little long-term hope for a vibrant Scottish top tier. It matters not whether we play other teams twice, four times, ninety-four times a season we all know that it is a two horse race. Just ask the bookies.

The gate monies must be more evenly distributed to show that there is a financial incentive to promotion and to give the other clubs a glimmer of hope of catching up with us.

Back