Correct Lyrics to Blue Sea of Ibrox

I was wondering about this after watching Saint Phnx's cover of it. I've always sung "plied" and that was the first time I'd heard "flied", which doesn't make sense to me.

Was a thread on misheard lyrics years ago on the old proboards (I think). One of them was when singing Derry's Walls;

"King James and all his rebel scum,
Came up to Bishopbriggs"

:))

I also get mildly annoyed that 99.9% of our supporters then sing "With heart and hand and sword and shield, we'll guard old Derry's Walls."

It should be "we forced them to retreat".

Just since the thread has gone full retard / pedant :cool:

I also get mildly annoyed that 99.9% of our supporters then sing "With heart and hand and sword and shield, we'll guard old Derry's Walls."

It should be "we forced them to retreat".

Just since the thread has gone full retard / pedant :cool:
I’m sure the version we sing isn’t anything like the original song.

The chorus goes: “We’ll fight and don’t surrender, but come when duty calls, with heart and hand and sword and shield, we’ll guard old Derry’s walls.

Axelrod in ‘Man has his own opinion’ shocker.

Too many on here get worked up about the wrong things.
It's not about his dislike of the song. Nobody has criticised him for not liking the sing. It was his comments like, it has nothing to do with our club, he's never sailed the wild Atlantic. It was embarrassing, :oops:

As I said music is subjective and it's perfectly understandable that some don't like some songs.

It’s never been either to me as I think it’s a bloody terrible song, strange lyrics with no real relevance to our club unless your a merchant seaman .

Give me 4lads had a dream every day of the week over it . Just my opinion .

You're right, I mean what has a song about Ibrox got to do with our club, absolutely nothing.

Reactions: WBD
In the first verse of the song, I’ve always sang I’ve plied the Indian Ocean but at games folk are singing flied the Indian Ocean and that band who covered it recently sing flied as well.

I surely can’t be the only one who sings plied?

Otherwise I’ve been singing it wrong for years.[/QUOT

Plied the only words I know, not heard any diffrent

You're right, I mean what has a song about Ibrox got to do with our club, absolutely nothing.

Unless we have 40 odd thousand season ticket holders bearing a resemblance to Captain Birdseye .

Stormy gates ? Wild Atlantic ? Forties roar? Broad Pacific shore ? It’s seafaring bingo .

In the end , it’s a not very good football song at best , which is of course subjective and it’s just my opinion .

Many others seem to like it and that’s fine by me . I don’t , I can’t believe I’m still being asked why , as if I need to justify not liking a song .

Enjoy your Sunday ! :cool:

Unless we have 40 odd thousand season ticket holders bearing a resemblance to Captain Birdseye .

Stormy gates ? Wild Atlantic ? Forties roar? Broad Pacific shore ? It’s seafaring bingo .

In the end , it’s a not very good football song at best , which is of course subjective and it’s just my opinion .

Many others seem to like it and that’s fine by me . I don’t , I can’t believe I’m still being asked why , as if I need to justify not liking a song .

Enjoy your Sunday ! :cool:

I'm not saying someone isn't allowed to like it, I'm just wondering how a song that has the chorus "it's the blue, blue, blue sea of Ibrox" can be considered to have nothing to do with Rangers because it's nautical based.

Are you looking for more gritty, reality based Ibrox themed songs? Every Other Saturday's quite a good one but then not everyone enters the ground from the Copland Road or has a wee pal called Joe so this might not be a good example either.

Cant beat it when Ibrox is in full voice letting rip with the blue sea of Ibrox. Hairs on the back of my neck stand up every time. Its an amazing spectacle we are honestly some support when in the mood.

I'm not saying someone isn't allowed to like it, I'm just wondering how a song that has the chorus "it's the blue, blue, blue sea of Ibrox" can be considered to have nothing to do with Rangers because it's nautical based

Because for me that’s the only part that isn’t about seafaring .

It’s not a deal breaker I’m not going to fall out with anyone who likes it :p

I didn’t expect this level of entertainment when opening this thread :D

Staunch-o-meter in full flow with the bears who are shocked and appalled that a fan can dislike a Rangers song.

In fairness to Axelrod, he is doing his bit to keep the thread rumbling along. LOL

I’ve no problem with anyone not liking songs. Don’t know why it’s upsetting some. In my case, I like the song.

If we’re going to argue about songs. I’d guide the debate towards all songs with add ons about religion or the IRA or former members of the IRA. In the developing political environment we are eventually going to lose historically significant songs like Follow Follow because of this insistence of sticking in the Dundee Hamilton references. The original version is perfect as it is, including the reference to “if we go to Dublin”

It’s head in the sand stuff not to be able to see the wind direction of this stuff. We genuinely need to have an open debate with our fan group and RSCs to get our own house in order. Then, we can go both barrels at the vermin on every topic with complete impunity.

It’s never been either to me as I think it’s a bloody terrible song, strange lyrics with no real relevance to our club unless your a merchant seaman .

It has everything to do with our club.

If we’re going to argue about songs. I’d guide the debate towards all songs with add ons about religion or the IRA or former members of the IRA. In the developing political environment we are eventually going to lose historically significant songs like Follow Follow because of this insistence of sticking in the Dundee Hamilton references. The original version is perfect as it is, including the reference to “if we go to Dublin”

It’s head in the sand stuff not to be able to see the wind direction of this stuff. We genuinely need to have an open debate with our fan group and RSCs to get our own house in order. Then, we can go both barrels at the vermin on every topic with complete impunity.
Yes, but who is going to kick this off? It needs addressed and addressed now. @Greg Marshall ?

In the first verse of the song, I’ve always sang I’ve plied the Indian Ocean but at games folk are singing flied the Indian Ocean and that band who covered it recently sing flied as well.

Otherwise I’ve been singing it wrong for years.
Flied is not even a word so not sure why anyone would sing that.

Unless it is along with your curry in the Chinese for a carry out.

Now I’m wishing that I had nothing better to do with my Saturday night than spend it on FF seeing bears argue over a song.

Has been a great start to my Sunday however,

@Axelrod to avoid any confusion can you confirm that you don’t like the blue sea of Ibrox?

:))

I would have it as an anthem before The Best or Penny Arcade any day of the week,If you don't like a song don't sing it and if you happen to get a word or two wrong don't beat yourself up about it,Just make some noise.

I'm not saying someone isn't allowed to like it, I'm just wondering how a song that has the chorus "it's the blue, blue, blue sea of Ibrox" can be considered to have nothing to do with Rangers because it's nautical based.

Are you looking for more gritty, reality based Ibrox themed songs? Every Other Saturday's quite a good one but then not everyone enters the ground from the Copland Road or has a wee pal called Joe so this might not be a good example either.
Original version was "Paisley" Road.

Possibly the best ever was Penny Arcade followed by Blue Sea before a game against them, think we won 3-2. It’s an incredible song when sung by 40k plus

Possibly the best ever was Penny Arcade followed by Blue Sea before a game against them, think we won 3-2. It’s an incredible song when sung by 40k plus

Blue Sea of Ibrox and Penny Arcade against them when they could have have won the league at Ibrox and we pretty much knew we were going down is one the best atmosphere's I've ever experienced. Pure defiance.

Otherwise I’ve been singing it wrong for years.
It’s plied

Eh??????? Flabber well and truly gasted.

Jesus Christ

I don’t like the song , and the words are daft , it’s my opinion . I’m not winding anyone up I know I’m in the minority .

I haven’t sailed the wild Atlantic , heard any forties Roar, stormy gates etc .

4 lads had a dream and follow follow resonate with me . Blue sea of Ibrox doesn’t .

It’s a sad day If having that opinion means I’m “ at the wind up “ .
Don't think I've sailed around any "stormy gates" either.
The words are only daft when dafties don't know the right words

cannot believe it took three pages of arguing to get someone to post a link to Saint Phnx's version ffs!!!

If the SLO(W) is looking in he should get this on the big screens pre-match and at half-time, they have an album coming out soon and i'll be buying it, give these lads the support they deserve.

There was me their was Sam, Michael Mols, Neil McCann would enlist... Yip a few steamers on the train singing this to N1P. :D :eek:

Back